Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tube vs. Solid State Pre Amp

As I slowly progress back into the realm of high end audio.... or whatever, I have arrived at the point of improvement which requires a serious decision. The pre amp I am using, which sounds really very nice, but maybe not as warm as I would like, is the Mark Levinson No. 38, purchased new in 1993. When I ask manufacturers they suggest going to a tube pre amp, even suggesting McIntosh, VTL, Acoustic Research, or Lamm.....

I have an opportunity to audition a VTL 5.5 Series II and am seeking out some thoughts regarding this, if anyone has an opinion. I have as a tentative budget somewhere less than $10,000, for sure, not over this. Also, is buying used a good idea?

And, while I am asking questions, how long do the tubes in a pre amp usually last until it is advisable to replace them. Some folks suggested replacing tubes ever 2,000 hours, another said the tubes in a pre amp last forever. Any guidelines are appreciated.
    Msmoto, aka Ms. Tommie Lauer

MAIN
    Totem Acoustics Element Metal, Totem Acoustics Thunder II Sub, VTL 5.5 Series II Pre Amp, VTL S200 Amplifier with KT88's, Pro-Ject RPM 5 Carbon, Sumiko Blue Point No. 2, NAD PP4, NAD C 546BEE, Bluesound Vault 2, Belden 1800F Balanced, Canare 4S11 Bi-Wire Cables, BJC LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables
    OTHER
    Vienna Acoustics Bach, Onkyo TX-8160
    PREVIOUS
    Quad ESL 63's, Finnish Subwoofer Stands, Vandersteen Subs, Mark Levinson No. 38, McIntosh 4280, ADS L810's, Theta Data Series II Lasar Disc Transport and DAC

Super Moderator

Re: Tube vs. Solid State Pre Amp

Tube life depends on the preamp and design. Typically 3,000-4,000 hours is typical. Some preamp tubes will last 8,000-10,000 hours.

Depending on the amp, you can flavor the sound to complement your taste.

Are you still planning on using the ML 27.5 as your amp? Do you want balanced or is single ended ok?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Another thought might be to go with a nice tube phono pre amp and tube dac. I did that and have really enjoyed the results! ARC DAC9, ARC PH8, ML No326s, MC-601's are the electronics and got exactly what I wanted with the tubes in the sources.

Or something like the new McIntosh 2600 will give you tubes in all three areas and you could sell off some of the spare bits. Another option and what I am using is the Modwright LS-100 preamp with the adjustable gain/loading tube phono board. MSRP is less than half of your budget. Still plenty of great NOS 6SN7 tubes out there to outfit it with.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

My .02 as a ML owner, if you are keeping your amp, look for a more musical solid state amp, like Pass Labs, the XP10 can be had for a reasonable price used or new. If you go with a tube preamp, I'd encourage you to look for a balanced design, not just a preamp with XLR taps for convenience, balanced topology to match the ML amp. I found running my system balanced it gave a sonic improvement. I'm not saying this is always the case but it was for me and my particular gear. It wasn't just the gain, it wasn't night and day, but when the ML and Pass both using symmetrical balanced circuits made connection via XLR there was improvement and synergy and SQ.

Some time back I had both Pass power and pre, a friend brought over a ML #326 preamp for me to try. The preamp seemed to sound fine in his system but matched to the Pass amp it didn't come close to sounding as good as my XP10. It was odd with the 326, I can only describe it as sounding like I was only getting half an image, like vocals were narrow like the person was sideways or something. I know that sounds crazy. The ML pre just didn't work with the Pass power but my Pass pre is excellent with my ML power. Have to love this hobby, LOL
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

At present I am planning on keeping the ML 27.5, using balanced inputs from the pre amp.

A tube DAC sounds interesting, will investigate more.

Regarding balanced vs. single ended, the No. 38 is a fully balanced pre amp, actually converting single ended inputs to balanced prior to any processing by the pre amp circuits... or so I understand. For many years I was running single ended from the No. 38 to the 27.5, and upon doing some research on forums in the last year or so, I changed to a fully balanced connection between the 38 and 27.5. This single change resulted in the biggest improvement in the overall sound. Detail, volume, absolutely remarkable intimacy in soft passages, an entirely new sound, simply by eliminating what I had been sold years ago...and at a whopper of a lot of cash...LOL. I suspect I have between $1,000 and $2,000 in interconnects sitting in my closet. Nearly all interconnects are now from Blue Jeans Cable, and IMO give a "clean" sound rather than the strangely colored effects of some exotic interconnects, including the solid silver types.

I am most appreciative of all the suggestions. While the No. 38 is far from being state of the art, its overall performance based upon my listening, albeit with rather old ears, is I am nearly "home" as to getting the sound I want.

What seems to be lacking, if anything, is a sweetness, or warmth in the mid and high mid range. And, as I continue to make room adjustments, the margin for improvement is growing smaller all the time.

Especially of interest is the idea of a tube DAC, taking the FLAC files from my Vault 2 (now with 152 Gb of files) into a tube DAC then into the No. 38. For about $800 I can have the No. 38 serviced, and if I keep the No. 27.5, this can be serviced for about $2200, basically bring them both up to a "new" state. Also, a tube phono amp, I like this as well.

Thanks so much to all. Will be following for any other suggestions.

MAIN
    Totem Acoustics Element Metal, Totem Acoustics Thunder II Sub, VTL 5.5 Series II Pre Amp, VTL S200 Amplifier with KT88's, Pro-Ject RPM 5 Carbon, Sumiko Blue Point No. 2, NAD PP4, NAD C 546BEE, Bluesound Vault 2, Belden 1800F Balanced, Canare 4S11 Bi-Wire Cables, BJC LC-1 Stereo Audio Cables
    OTHER
    PREVIOUS
    Quad ESL 63's, Finnish Subwoofer Stands, Vandersteen Subs, Mark Levinson No. 38, McIntosh 4280, ADS L810's, Theta Data Series II Lasar Disc Transport and DAC

Audioshark

I would suggest the new VAC Renaissance V preamp. It's within your budget, has a separate power supply to reduce noise, offers the option for a terrific internal phonostage and VAC has always made great sounding tube preamps.

I have one here in the store. It's terrific.

http://www.theaudiobeat.com/newport2...rt2016_vac.htm
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Yeah, I knew the 38 was balanced, I was suggesting if you replace it to stick with something balanced. You really have to do research due to some brands offering a XLR connection but the circuitry isn't actually balanced.

I'm glad your experience with going balanced throughout was the same as mine, then you already know what I mean.

If you decide to keep the 38 to add a DAC consider the Lampizator, even their entry piece is a strong performer at it's price. My friend has had a few, he started with one model and keeps going up the line. I'm not sure if all the models are balanced circuitry.

Quote Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
    At present I am planning on keeping the ML 27.5, using balanced inputs from the pre amp.

A tube DAC sounds interesting, will investigate more.

Regarding balanced vs. single ended, the No. 38 is a fully balanced pre amp, actually converting single ended inputs to balanced prior to any processing by the pre amp circuits... or so I understand. For many years I was running single ended from the No. 38 to the 27.5, and upon doing some research on forums in the last year or so, I changed to a fully balanced connection between the 38 and 27.5. This single change resulted in the biggest improvement in the overall sound. Detail, volume, absolutely remarkable intimacy in soft passages, an entirely new sound, simply by eliminating what I had been sold years ago...and at a whopper of a lot of cash...LOL. I suspect I have between $1,000 and $2,000 in interconnects sitting in my closet. Nearly all interconnects are now from Blue Jeans Cable, and IMO give a "clean" sound rather than the strangely colored effects of some exotic interconnects, including the solid silver types.

I am most appreciative of all the suggestions. While the No. 38 is far from being state of the art, its overall performance based upon my listening, albeit with rather old ears, is I am nearly "home" as to getting the sound I want.

What seems to be lacking, if anything, is a sweetness, or warmth in the mid and high mid range. And, as I continue to make room adjustments, the margin for improvement is growing smaller all the time.

Especially of interest is the idea of a tube DAC, taking the FLAC files from my Vault 2 (now with 152 Gb of files) into a tube DAC then into the No. 38. For about $800 I can have the No. 38 serviced, and if I keep the No. 27.5, this can be serviced for about $2200, basically bring them both up to a "new" state. Also, a tube phono amp, I like this as well.

Thanks so much to all. Will be following for any other suggestions.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

As I slowly progress back into the realm of high end audio.... or whatever, I have arrived at the point of improvement which requires a serious decision. The pre amp I am using, which sounds really very nice, but maybe not as warm as I would like, is the Mark Levinson No. 38, purchased new in 1993. When I ask manufacturers they suggest going to a tube pre amp, even suggesting McIntosh, VTL, Acoustic Research, or Lamm.....

I have an opportunity to audition a VTL 5.5 Series II and am seeking out some thoughts regarding this, if anyone has an opinion. I have as a tentative budget somewhere less than $10,000, for sure, not over this. Also, is buying used a good idea?

And, while I am asking questions, how long do the tubes in a pre amp usually last until it is advisable to replace them. Some folks suggested replacing tubes ever 2,000 hours, another said the tubes in a pre amp last forever. Any guidelines are appreciated.
    Might as well have asked people what kind of woman you should date. By the time people are finished with their recommendations, you will have either been convinced to become a nun or you will be dating a trannie. People never stick to the script-I swear. You asked for opinions on a particular tube preamp, and you have already been given recommendations to buy a tube phono section or DAC instead. Another guy is trying to point you towards another SS preamp.

So Msmoto, here is my advice for you since I have never heard the VTL 5.5 Series II outside of audio shows:You said you have an opportunity to audition the VTL and I hope that means in your system. If so, by all means bring it home, lash it up to your system, and put it through its paces. Let us know what you think of how it sounds in your system.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Uhm Mark, I believe Ms. Lauer is a lady and I believe in her follow up post she asked for other suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I have auditioned the VTL 5.5mk2 and its VTL's only true tube linestage (the others are hybrid). I compared it to my Valvet line stage at the time and the VTL only excelled in the bass. I found it a decent linestage, but wasn't overwhelmed - when we moved up to the 6.5, I found the VTL a lot better.

At that price level, I would also be thinking Vac as Mike suggested or Nagra Jazz. All 3 will sound different, so synergy is going to be the difference but I think they will all outperform your No. 38.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Uhm Mark, I believe Ms. Lauer is a lady and I believe in her follow up post she asked for other suggestions.

OK-we will change woman to man in my story...
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

"not that there'd be anything wrong with that", referring to original post Hoping other Seinfeld fans might get it.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    OK-we will change woman to man in my story...

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    "not that there'd be anything wrong with that", referring to original post Hoping other Seinfeld fans might get it.
    I just never cease to be amazed that when people ask very specific questions, they get answers that have nothing to do with their original question(s). Example: I'm interested in buying a new pickup truck. What do you guys recommend?

Answers: I think you should buy a Ferrari. They look much better and are way faster.
    Have you thought about buying a crossover vehicle? I think that would be a better option for you. I love my crossover vehicle.
    Mini Coopers are really nice and you can probably haul whatever you need in the hatchback and you will get better gas mileage.

You get my drift...

Audioshark

Answer: VTL preamps aren't world beaters.

Want a great tube preamp? Buy an ARC or VAC.

That direct enough? Tube vs. Solid State Pre Amp

I got it the first time. The quote was referring to the dating analogy. Unless you seen the classicc Seinfeld episode it won't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I just never cease to be amazed that when people ask very specific questions, they get answers that have nothing to do with their original question(s). Example: I'm interested in buying a new pickup truck. What do you guys recommend?

Answers: I think you should buy a Ferrari. They look much better and are way faster.
    Have you thought about buying a crossover vehicle? I think that would be a better option for you. I love my crossover vehicle.
    Mini Coopers are really nice and you can probably haul whatever you need in the hatchback and you will get better gas mileage.

You get my drift...

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I think I love you guys.... Of course there are not a lot of female audio freaks, so my presence may amaze you. But, I will audition the VTL, this is one available, and if it provides what I am looking for, most likely purchase it. But, I am also thinking McIntosh C2600, primarily as McIntosh has been used in show demos by Totem Acoustic when they demoed the Element Metal Speakers. And, I had an old McIntosh receiver which sounded great. .....until total failure after about 60,000 hours of running sometimes 24 hours per day for nearly twenty years.

But, it is all about trying this stuff in my system, my room, my ears. And, the suggestions are all appreciated. Even if I drive Porsches....

I do have a huge advantage as well.... no WAF

MAIN
    OTHER
    PREVIOUS

I think I love you guys.... Of course there are not a lot of female audio freaks, so my presence may amaze you. But, I will audition the VTL, this is one available, and if it provides what I am looking for, most likely purchase it. But, I am also thinking McIntosh C2600, primarily as McIntosh has been used in show demos by Totem Acoustic when they demoed the Element Metal Speakers. And, I had an old McIntosh receiver which sounded great. .....until total failure after about 60,000 hours of running sometimes 24 hours per day for nearly twenty years.

But, it is all about trying this stuff in my system, my room, my ears. And, the suggestions are all appreciated. Even if I drive Porsches....

I do have a huge advantage as well.... no WAF
    Ms. Tommie Lauer, I do like you because you have a sense of humor. You might really be a 90 year old man in a nursing home with access to a computer, but either way, you have earned my respect.

Here is a photo of my "nursing home room"...

Tee Ve or Not Tee Ve_01.05.2017_TFL-1 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

And, at present, having just measured my frequencies from about 20 - 200 Hz, I am discovering I need to bring the speakers out into the room more as I now have a huge bump at about 40 - 50 Hz. I may play with some large foam as well.

I like the heavy lower end, organ music comes alive... Like Virgil Fox Live at Fillmore East...when he says "a happening" he means it!

I am gathering in the idea of doing many trials prior to purchasing anything. As I have an old Theta DS Pro Basic II sitting around, I am going to place that in the line from the Vault 2, coaxial into the Theta, single ended into current No.38. Second trial will possibly be an old McIntosh C28 Pre amp, just to get an idea of what differences are made by changing out stuff.

What I have currently is an almost holographic sound stage, very detailed musically intimate sound from 20 - 20,000 Hz. What I am seeking is a softening, warming of the mid and highs as the "digital" sound with the current configuration is not the perfection i have in mind.

With that I will begin my exploration of various pieces of equipment and report back what my ears are telling me.
    Thanks

MAIN
    OTHER
    PREVIOUS

I would also suggest CAT Renaissance. Can also have a phono stage if required.

How about a Cary 05 preamp? To me it has a wonderful sound, the speed of a SS but, some of the bloom tubes. The Mcintosh C2600 is a nice piece also as well as the Mcintosh C500. A person on another board has the Cary 05 and is going to be trying out a Mcintosh C500. I am kind of excited to read about that shootout. Love the nursing home room LOL looks great!
    AMP/Preamp/Speakers: Kef LS50 Wireless, Lumin D1, Cayin scd50T sacd, Technics 1200 Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP Laptop, LH Labs VI Infinity, Cables: Wireworld Eclipse & Silver IC, Platinum USB. W4S recovery.

"What I am seeking is a softening, warming of the mid and highs as the "digital" sound with the current configuration is not the perfection i have in mind. "

If your happy with most of the sound of your system, the Blue Sound Vault also might the issue. How about a Lumin instead? I had a Node2 on load for a little bit. The Node is basically the vault without the hard drive and ripper. When I did a shootout between my Laptop, Node2 and CD using the Node digital out to the same dac the CD and Laptop were connected to, my wife and I both put the Node2 last on sound quality, stage presence, texture, and overall sound balance. I am not trying to sound harsh but just sharing my experience.
    On your signature, in my opinion the Vault would be the weak point. Also the Vault rips to flac. Not everyone will agree with this but, I have noticed uncompressed wav has more open and air to it. The gap does close quite a bit on Uncompressed FLAC vs Uncompressed Wav but you would need something like DBpoweramp software to rip it uncompressed.

Sorry to derail the preamp portion but your quote above kind of puts me in a different direction.
    AMP/Preamp/Speakers: Kef LS50 Wireless, Lumin D1, Cayin scd50T sacd, Technics 1200 Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP Laptop, LH Labs VI Infinity, Cables: Wireworld Eclipse & Silver IC, Platinum USB. W4S recovery.

Tubes are definitely a very nice way to go. Buying used is also good, just know who your buying from helps alot.

I believe her original post was tubes versus SS also. I also have been considering this since I recently picked up a vintage ARC tube amplifier to use as a change of pace to my Son Of Ampzilla II SS amplifier.

I was considering a pre-owned ARC but decided to go back to maybe the one piece that is considered the definitive term for giant killer. There is an almost universal agreement as to how amazing this pre-amplifier is... I know Joe has put it against various units priced at up to ten times it's price.

I am referring to the Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE. I know there are threads referring to this amazing unit sounding more tubey than tubes, more accurate than many world class pre-amplifiers.

Unless you have already decided 100% on tubes or the VAC for example, you owe it to yourself to investigate this piece. American made in California, 5 year warranty, fully balanced, remote, built like a tank. And only $1995, or with the full stage 2 upgrade, which will pit it against anything.... period, it is only $3749.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/pre-amps/stp-se

What you say is missing in your system is where this pre-amplifier shines. It is one of the finest pieces that the renowned audio designer EJ Sarmento has ever created.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Actually the Level 2 STP-SE is a very good choice in that it gives you a sonic signature to the "tube side" of SS and none of the maintenance issues of tubes. As Randy said it is built like a tank though not designed for looks first. At $3750 for the fully upgraded model you could still buy a tube phono like the Manley Chinook for $3000 and a tube DAC like the fully loaded Musical Paradise MP-D2 for $1700 or the Lampizator Amber II for $1800 and have money left for other things. Mike can help you with the Manley or the Lampizator. The STP-SE or the Musical Paradise are bought factory direct.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I've owned Pass XP-30, Soulution 520 and now ARC Ref 10. The Ref 10 is far and away my favorite due to its smooth and refined treble, midrange body and textured bass. The width and depth of the soundstage is significantly greater than the solid state units I've owned.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Of course you could always go bespoke...something like this Pre I had built...took me 2 years to find all the parts...

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by erniejade View Post
    "What I am seeking is a softening, warming of the mid and highs as the "digital" sound with the current configuration is not the perfection i have in mind. "

If your happy with most of the sound of your system, the Blue Sound Vault also might the issue. How about a Lumin instead? I had a Node2 on load for a little bit. ...
    On your signature, in my opinion the Vault would be the weak point.
    I agree with erniejade on this, to add warmth Lumin A1 / T1 can be considered - but I have a conflict of interests in this.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

but maybe not as warm as I would like, .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Want a great tube preamp? Buy an ARC or VAC.

That direct enough? Tube vs. Solid State Pre Amp
    IMO there's no such thing as a 'warm' ARC preamp (note the Op's wanting), I've owned them for over thirty years. Arguably one of the more neutral.

Want warmth................. here's two initials ......'CJ' , warmth galore, although I think they may all be single ended ??
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Would agree that ARC sounds more like SS, so going to be closer to your Levinson gear. I would choose Vac of the "American Big Four"
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

As far as I have been able to determine CJ is single ended... I actually was looking into them a little bit ago.

Or again get SS that exhibits characteristics of tubes.... without the hassle of tubes....
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Wonderful, now at a point of total confusion....LOL

My conclusion is this. I travel about a fair amount and will be able to hit several cities where high end audio is available for audition. My request will be to listen to something in SS and then the same set up, but with a tube pre amp. If I do this enough times, selecting out some of the suggestions I have received here, I may be able to come to a conclusion based upon my own ears' experience rather than someone else's ears.

Prior to purchasing what I have, I spent about half a year in multiple rooms, listening, attempting to evaluate, with the results being pretty good (Old Quad ESL 63's). Now, with what I have, I find I can sweeten up the sound by moving speakers around, and testing the sound stage with some reference recordings. I prefer an engulfed sound experience where on some works, the sounds are behind me. Roger Water's Amused to Death, first track is one I like as it has huge range of volume, and voices, dogs, instruments, from all around the listening spot.

Ironically, having spent most of this afternoon moving speakers around, including moving my sweet spot back about 15", I have found the sound warmed up considerably. And the sound stage remained huge. I enjoy listening to all the suggestions, this gets my mind working, and in the next few weeks I will begin the "Great Vacuum Tube Preamplifier Discovery Journey".

I will continue to follow up as I gain more actual listening experience.

Listening to Phil Woods "Here's To My Lady" at present... just like heaven... his horn sounds very sweet....

Thanks to all!

MAIN
    OTHER
    PREVIOUS

Roger Waters is the best for checking out sound stage... my current listening room is a loft and therefore both side walls are open... when my wife and I hosted our club meeting last summer the members could not believe how open a sound stage this created...

One of our club members writes for Stereophile and he put it through it's paces... totally blown away by how not having side walls affected the sound stage... EJ was very impressed how a stand mounted speaker could fill the entire house ... (I still would rather have his KEF Reference 3's )...

I had just hooked the Ampzilla back up for a bit... was listening to Blood, Sweat, and Tears in DSD, but after reading your post I had to put "Amused To Death" in DSD on....

I have been listening to the classic ARC ever since I got it... sounds very sweet... but the SST is pretty fantastic also... just don't want to run the ARC full time... $700-$800 every 2-3 years to re-tube can get a bit pricey... but might be worth it....

See this is the SS versus tube dilemma... the Ampzilla is pretty great, and for get a together playing all day, or for cracking up (rarity for me any more), it is pretty fantastic... but the ARC just has something special about it.... so.... dammmmmm....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
    IMO there's no such thing as a 'warm' ARC preamp (note the Op's wanting), I've owned them for over thirty years. Arguably one of the more neutral.

Want warmth................. here's two initials ......'CJ' , warmth galore, although I think they may all be single ended ??
    Another Burmeister, and SS.
    Amp/PreAmp/Phono: Manley Labs Snapper, Jumbo Shrimp, Chinook Speakers: Joseph Audio RM25XL Analog: Rega P5, TTPSU, Tungsten CW, GT Ref Sub-Platter/Delrin Platter, DV Karat 17D3 Digital: Rega Saturn Cables/PC: Synergistic Research, Running Springs Audio Rack: Quadraspire Q4EVO, Mapleshade Platforms/Isoblocks Tubes: Winged C SED EL34, Mullard 12AX7/12AT7, Amperex 7308 LPs: 198 CDs: 247

Randy

That 2-3 years that ARC was projecting was for the power tubes and not the driver tubes. A complete set of Genelex KT-88's will run you less than $250 a quad at multiple dealers. Other brands are much less. 6550's are even less at $160 a quad so play it as much as you want. The 6922 driver tubes will more than likely last twice that long and the Gold Lions are not that much. You or many of your club members could change the power tubes with no problem. Worry about the future tube purchases when the time comes.

Tommie

Another option that should be fairly easy to hear in your travels is the new fully balanced PS Audio BHK preamp. With a change in a jumper on the board it will take E88CC, PCC88 and 12AU7 tubes so allowing for quite a variety. Several members on the board are using it.

http://www.psaudio.com/products/bhk-...-preamplifier/

Thanks Jack... honestly that makes me feel a bit better.... ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy

Keep your eyes open for a sale and put a quad away for a rainy day. Will make you feel better knowing you are covered just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    As far as I have been able to determine CJ is single ended... I actually was looking into them a little bit ago.

Or again get SS that exhibits characteristics of tubes.... without the hassle of tubes....
    I thought so on the CJ stuff, definitely a warm character though. Another 'warm' pre came to mind ....Cary Audio

as far as 'hassle' of tubes (signal) in a preamp, non-existent IMO. power tubes in an amplifier, that's a different story
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Interesting thread.

My shortlist: Mola Mola, SST Theobe, W4S STP, FM acoustics.

Since Tomi pretty much has a plan....

Out of tube preamps I've heard, and, shopping for myself, Octave Audio and Thrax would be at the top of the list with Jadis close. Leaning more lush, I do have a soft spot for CJ. The new Mac Ref preamp just under $10k was one of he better Mac preamps I've heard. I respect ARC and Cary but neither really appeal to my taste.

I didn't get a close look at the set up but Raven Audio sounded impressive.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I would consider a Vinni Rossi Lio DHT preamp.

http://www.vinnierossi.com/lio-preamplifier/

Also give some thought to a BAT VK-33se
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Since Tomi pretty much has a plan....

Out of tube preamps I've heard, and, shopping for myself, Octave Audio and Thrax would be at the top of the list with Jadis close. Leaning more lush, I do have a soft spot for CJ. The new Mac Ref preamp just under $10k was one of he better Mac preamps I've heard. I respect ARC and Cary but neither really appeal to my taste.

I didn't get a close look at the set up but Raven Audio sounded impressive.
    I owned the Cary SLP-05 and currently own the ARC Reference 10 and they are both world class preamps.

The Cary has a warm presentation with amazing decay, delivers jaw dropping realism and places you in the venue better than any preamp I've ever heard. In my opinion, there is little that can match its performance at its price point.

The ARC Reference 10 is supremely neutral in its presentation with a huge soundstage in both width and depth, smooth and refined treble, midrange body and dimension, robust and textured deep reaching bass, wonderful detail and nuance, and incredible dynamics.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

I am using a Cary slp-05 as well - very involving presentation. To get the most out of Cary, you really need to get some good tubes in there - the brighter the tubes, the better (Sylvania's are great but RCA will be too warm).

oh what the heck, since we're all going nuts with recommendations and given Tommie's budget of 10k or less here's one I've listened to that might be the best sub 10k pre I've ever heard .................

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_Hera_Front.htm

I think there's a used one on the 'Gon' right now
    Cheers ! …. Dave

I respect ARC and Cary, notice I said, "to my taste", some like chocolate, some strawberry. Not a slam, just an opinion.

Vintage ARC I come closer to liking than newer models. To me, and by comparison, ARC seems stripped of tonal textures, or colors, colors in a positive sense. Back in the 90's I heard an ARC set up, VT100 drving Martin Logan Requests, can't remember which preamp, and a Wadia front end, this was the best I've heard ARC sound, the presence and imaging was incredible. Most ARC since has been complete systems with B&W, maybe the synergy isn't great. Based on that experience I actually brought home an ARC pre/power to audition at a time I was looking for a change. I was using Dynaudio speakers at the time, I didn't like the result.

I have a friend who actually carried Cary, hasn't officially dropped the line. He had the solid state, both tube preamps, single and dual chassis, I forget the model numbers, had a big tube Cary power amp, and a couple of their DAC's. He didn't do much tube rolling except to put kt120's into the Sly-80. I notice the gear tends to require a long break in period. I just favor other brands of tube gear over Cary, from what I've heard so far.

If you use either brand and happy, that's great. I don't believe I've seen anyone else hear with Levinson as I do, so we buy our gear to please our ears. Hopefully

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I have not had the opportunity of listening to current generation of ARC amplifiers, however the vintage VT50 that I just added to my system as a change of pace has been very impressive. I was actually surprised at how much I enjoy this amplifier as a change from my other amplifier, the Son Of Ampzilla II, which I really enjoy also!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Another preamp to consider is the Atma-Sphere MP-3. It has a beautiful mid range. I preferred it over the more expensive ARC LS 27 in head to head listening. While not in the $10K range it competes well with preamps in the price group.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Another preamp to consider is the Atma-Sphere MP-3. It has a beautiful mid range. I preferred it over the more expensive ARC LS 27 in head to head listening.

The Atma-Sphere MP-1 is a step up but I haven't heard one. It sells for about $10K.

I would suggest the Berning. It has the best qualities of SS - linearity and transparency, with the harmonics of tubes, without the colorations and distortions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team