Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Digital Source Auditioning Last Weekend

Last Saturday I auditioned the Berk Ref2 DAC, ARC DAC9 and ARC Ref CD-9 player head-to-head. The dealer had it set up so I could change instantaneously between digital sources by using the Ref CD-9's transport to spin redbook CDs. The system was Magico S7, ARC Ref 250SE monoblocks and ARC Ref6 preamp. They had the system optimized as well as I've seen. I primarily listened to jazz vocals, jazz piano and small jazz combos.

The Berk Ref2 is the smoothest sounding and least fatiguing DAC I've ever heard. There is zero digital artifice. It is extremely organic sounding with gorgeous tonality on vocals. It is very neutral in presentation and does little editorializing. Midrange density is extraordinary and bass is tight and impactful.

Its imaging is pinpoint, placing vocalists and instruments in their appropriate places. However, soundstage width and depth were noticeably less than the ARC digital sources. I also felt that the highs weren't as extended and some of the harmonics or overtones of female vocalists were absent. I wondered if this was a bit of a trade-off in order to attain such an organic sound.

The DAC9 sounded similar to the Berk Ref2 in tonality but I would give the edge to the Berk Ref2 in both smoothness and refinement. What I preferred about the DAC9 to the Berk was its treble extension and bass texture. I also preferred the warmth, body and bloom it provided, although it didn't have the Berk's amazing midrange density.

The DAC9 had a noticeably deeper soundstage with superior layering of instruments. There was wonderful space around vocalists and instruments. What I didn't like was on certain tracks, imaging was too forward and sometimes misplaced.

The Ref CD-9 player had a similar sonic signature to the DAC9 but was superior in a number of ways. Its soundstage was wider and deeper with terrific layering, we're talking 3D! Imaging just sounded right. It also had more refinement, finesse and delicacy, bringing out subtleties of the performance that make music sound live as opposed to reproduced. It also produced wonderful warmth, body and bloom that even exceeded the DAC9. It had the same treble extension and wonderful bass texture as the DAC9.

What I didn't like about the Ref CD-9 was there was less purity and tonal accuracy in the timbres of the music than the Berk and DAC9. The DAC9 also produced more air around instruments and vocalists. I feel this was due to the Ref CD-9's five-year old DAC chip compared to the others' newer DAC chips. I couldn't help but wonder what combining the Ref CD-9's superior analog gain stage (2 input tubes, 2 output tubes & tube rectification) with the DAC9's superior digital circuitry would yield in sound quality.

So which did I prefer? Each component had its own strengths and weaknesses and I would be extremely satisfied with each of them in my system.

Please keep in mind this review is only my opinion and your mileage may vary due to system synergy, music preference and personal taste.

All the best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Re: Digital Source Auditioning Last Weekend

Ken...thx for the comparo. @ $7500, would you say the DAC 9 offered the best bang for the buck of the three?
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

So ... which would you buy? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Ken...thx for the comparo. @ $7500, would you say the DAC 9 offered the best bang for the buck of the three?
    Hi Cyril,

Yes, I would definitely say the ARC DAC9 offers the best bang for the buck of the three. Its performance at $7,500 is quite astounding and close behind the Berk Ref2 and the ARC Ref CD-9. I would say the Berk Ref2's and ARC Ref CD-9's overall performance are both slightly better than the ARC DAC9.

While the DAC9 exceeds the Berk Ref2 in soundstaging, the Berk Ref2 is so consistently great at what it does that I would give it the overall edge. While it may be a little more conservative in its presentation than the ARC sources, it is the most consistent of the three at delivering an organic and tonally pure rendering of the music, no matter what the recording's quality. It will never let you down or fail to impress you with its intimate and truthful performance.

The Ref CD-9 seems to do nearly everything the DAC9 does just a little bit better. A little more refinement, body, bloom and ease on recordings. A wider and deeper soundstage. Subtle cues that bring recordings to life and evoke emotional engagement. Even at five years old, it is still a very special and unique sounding component.

YMMV.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Ken...thx for the feedback Digital Source Auditioning Last Weekend
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Digital Source Auditioning Last Weekend