Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: HiFi Critic DAC shootout

Bal GA without volume control is circa 9k Euro. pre VAT. Both Dacs seem to be well received.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Yummy...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tannoy Westminster GR and ST-200 Supertweeter, Finale Audio 300B Mono's, Thoress Full Function Preamp, Thoress 845 Mono's, Found Music 2A3 Mono's, , Line Magnetic 219IA, Lumin A1, Lumin U1, EMM Labs DAC-2X, Lampizator Golden Atlantic DAC, Sansui TU-717, Kenwood KT-7500, Belden 8402 IC's, Duelund 16GA speaker wire

Very Yummy...killer recti.
    Any feedback to share?
    Haven't heard the GA yet, though a pal of a pal will soon get one.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Sure! Tonally balanced but nice tight low end, lit from within very liquid sound in my system. Best DAC I've ever owned by a long shot.
    Tannoy Westminster GR and ST-200 Supertweeter, Finale Audio 300B Mono's, Thoress Full Function Preamp, Thoress 845 Mono's, Found Music 2A3 Mono's, , Line Magnetic 219IA, Lumin A1, Lumin U1, EMM Labs DAC-2X, Lampizator Golden Atlantic DAC, Sansui TU-717, Kenwood KT-7500, Belden 8402 IC's, Duelund 16GA speaker wire

Hi Arthurs. I see in your profile that you have Lumin A1 and U1. I guess the Golden Gate connects it to the U1. If so, how does compare Lumin A1 with Lumin U1 + Golden Gate.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Excuses.
    Atlantic Gold no Golden Gates
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    Hi Arthurs. I see in your profile that you have Lumin A1 and U1. I guess the Golden Gate connects it to the U1. If so, how does compare Lumin A1 with Lumin U1 + Golden Gate.
    I haven't done an A/B and I dearly love my A1 but will be selling it. The U1 into the GA is just a different thing altogether..

Quote Originally Posted by arthurs View Post
    I haven't done an A/B and I dearly love my A1 but will be selling it. The U1 into the GA is just a different thing altogether..
    I have compared my big 7 to two Esoteric K01s, a Trinity, my GG to Esoteric K01s, Aries Cerat, Nagra HD. Al rainbow has a 50k MSB stack and prefers his Big 7 (which he upgraded to GG I think). Many shift from Playback Design, Berkeley, none the other way reported, one guy in Singapore reported a trade-in of Vivaldi for Lampi, and I could go on. Be happy with what you have. When you feel discontented, get the GG

After reading enough post, I think for PCM without upsampling and in a range of € 10,000 to € 13,000 the comparative I would like to do would be: Balanced Golden Atlantic vs Aqua Formula
    I have both the SE GG and the Aqua Formula into the SGM server. both are wonderful......but I think it depends on the system context and personal taste as to the preference.

with the SE GG, which has both the 512dsd dac, plus the latest RTR PCM dac, plus the superclocks, you can go either way (use HQ Player to upsample PCM to 512, or use 384 dxd to upsample all PCM).

with the Formula I use HQ Player to upsample everything to 384 dxd.

you can make a case for either at that price point. the SGM is the 'secret sauce'.

Wow, so many secret sauce and my cupboard is empty .....

Arthurs, as he connects his Lumin with Lampi; USB or S / PDIF?
    Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    I have both the SE GG and the Aqua Formula into the SGM server. both are wonderful......but I think it depends on the system context and personal taste as to the preference.

with the SE GG, which has both the 512dsd dac, plus the latest RTR PCM dac, plus the superclocks, you can go either way (use HQ Player to upsample PCM to 512, or use 384 dxd to upsample all PCM).

with the Formula I use HQ Player to upsample everything to 384 dxd.

you can make a case for either at that price point. the SGM is the 'secret sauce'.
    Looks like the 20k Wadax Atlantis server in Asia is taking off now.

I would take Mike’s suggestion to compare the Aqua and the Lampi based on his findings. I disagree with his words “at that price point”. Going by Lampi compares, and Mike’s Aqua compare to Lampi, people at higher price points need to look at these two dacs for better quality.

Arthurs, as he connects his Lumin with Lampi; USB or S / PDIF?
    Lampi DSD is only by USB and spdif won't do DXD rates, IIRC. USB super clocks are standard on the GA dac.
    NORMAN

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Looks like the 20k Wadax Atlantis server in Asia is taking off now.

I would take Mike’s suggestion to compare the Aqua and the Lampi based on his findings. I disagree with his words “at that price point”. Going by Lampi compares, and Mike’s Aqua compare to Lampi, people at higher price points need to look at these two dacs for better quality.
    by 'price point' I was referring to the post I was responding to with a target of 10k-13k euros.

agree that these 2 play at the highest levels......

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Lampi DSD is only by USB and spdif won't do DXD rates, IIRC. USB super clocks are standard on the GA dac.
    Hi. Yes, I know that. But I would be very interested to know if that connection Arthurs has it by USB or S / PDIF, since he states that U1 + AG is superior to A1
    Francisco

Hi. Yes, I know that. But I would be very interested to know if that connection Arthurs has it by USB or S / PDIF, since he states that U1 + AG is superior to A1
    I run Synology to TP Link to U1 via USB into Lampi GA. My comments only refer to my preferences

Thanks Arthurs
    Francisco

Thanks Arthurs

No worries, happy to help however I can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

HiFi Critic DAC shootout