Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Mark levinson 532h

does anyone here have direct experience of this amp and can compare it to say the 23.5 or 27.5 ?
    Indeed the stereophile review was great, but I also find this comments:
    "The 532H is obviously built to a price point, made with many cost cutting features. It has power supplies that are about 1/3 the rating of similar power spec. Levinson amps preceding it. I've also noticed in the brochure, what might be a "Levinson" first actually, that Harman doesn't show off the interior with photographs of the power supply design and layout, and for a good reason. It's a half empty box, filled with cost cutting measures. Harman looks to be capitalizing on the Levinson name, with an amp that Madrigal would have marketed as a Proceed for about half of the price. For comparison, the venerable 23.5 was packed full, literally, of the best solid state had to offer at the time, close to 300watts into 8 ohms, with 1258VA, and 72,000mF filter capacitance per channel! It also "doubled down," which the 532H does not. The 23.5 retailed for $5900 in 92', and adjusted for inflation, would put it at about $7630 today. Also, remeber that when Madrigal upped the specs from the 20 series to the 331, 332, and 333, they lowered the price, citing the use of less expensive production techniques. If Harman has any advantage over Madrigal, I would think it would be in the area of production cost. Good as the 532H may sound, it is overpriced at $8500. Owning a Levinson amp, for me at least, has been for more than just the sound. Its for having high fidelity, as well as the confidence that you own a powerful, stable amp, that can drive ANY load, and is never the weak link in the chain. I don't feel the 532H offers this, and that Harman is devaluing the Levinson brand by using the Levinson name for the "H' series. As far as I'm aware, they now have rights to the Proceed name, so why not use it? Greed, perhaps?

which tend to kill the magic ....
    HiFi: Moon 180MIND Bryston BDA2 Bryston BP17 Phono MC275 CE JBL 4430 (crossover redone)
    Technics SL 1200 G with NAGAOKA MP 500
    HT: Yamaha 3050 JBL 4425 (L/R) Homegrown JBL center and SVS PB2000

Re: Mark levinson 532h

A bit harsh based on an assumption, you think?

The 532h is an outstanding amp and proven to be more reliable than some of the more expensive Levinson amps that are now discontinued although their run began about the same time as the 532h.

It's true the 532h has different topology than typical or past Levinson amps, it doesn't double down into 4 ohms, for example. Going from memory, and to keep it simple, as I don't care to go back and read the white paper at this point, it should be easy to find on the net, the 532h uses banks of smaller capacitors opposed to huge can type caps. If anything it's a hybrid design based on Crown.

The result is the 532h sound, in general, is very quick and musical. It's also extremely transparent. The 532h I feel has a bit more PR&T than prior Levinson, although I'm sure that's arguable. I haven't had mine hooked to any crazy loads but it drove Revel F52's fine, and controls my 4367's well. My friend drove his Salons with a single 532h without breaking a sweat. It's hard to put the sound into words, the music just fires, starting and stopping with no lag, I find it a really fun and engaging amp.

My prior power amp was a Pass X250, it was my goal to move to a newer .5 or .8 amp sometime down the road, but I didn't think once I heard Pass anything would sway me from switching. That is until I put the 532h in my system, it was just for fun, but the amp blew me away. The 532h isn't as lush as the Pass, the trade of was an increase in transparency and the agile quick presentation of music. I'd actually say the 532h is a Levinson sleeper and considering the X250 new was around $6k and the .5 $8k or more, the 532h could be argued a good value.

I haven't had the cover off my amp but I don't think any room was wasted to do some smoke & mirror trick. The amp actually has an innovative chimney heat dissipation design to where it's open on top to allow air flow, so the amp doesn't need huge heat syncs.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Mr Peabody, a big thank you!
    Your comparison to Pass is particulary appreciated as I was looking also in this direction (an Vitus, lamm, aswell), just before looking at the prices....
    Is it a harsh jugment ? surely if I take your words... ML has been seducing me for a long time now... I listen a lot on the net and ML sound striked me from the very first time.... such silk in the highs and a very nice bass aswell.... I never heard one for real... I almost bought a ML7... and looking every day at two ML2 on the local hifi sites for 5 000 €.... I cannot find a good tech here in France after having tried four of them.... so I am scared to buy vintage... if I do so the unit will go to germany ML official reapair guys or even to the USA....(Pyramid audio ?)

The statement that some audio companies are now surfing on the brand fame (name) would nevertheless fit well with nowadays mercantile times
    ....so my doubts.... I do not think that a completely filled up amp is better than an almost empty one.... for that reason I bought the BP 17.... which is almost empty aswell .... But still I am cautious..... without your words I would have gone for the Nord Hypex thingy or a Crown DCI 300 or 600.... Now I will have a proper listen in a shop.
    Many thanks (not from my wallet though)
    HiFi: Moon 180MIND Bryston BDA2 Bryston BP17 Phono MC275 CE JBL 4430 (crossover redone)

If you should happen to get a listen to the 532h, I'd be interested in what you thought, even if you don't agree with my opinion.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Sorry I must have badly expressed my self: i do not disagree with you.... the whole paragraph in the first post is not mine but a quote from a forumer elswhere.... counterbalancing, I though, the elogious review in stereophile.....
    quite the opposite ! you engaged me to have a real approach... a good thing...

I understand, I just said "even if you disagree" meaning I'd value your opinion which ever way your audition goes.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Bump. Anybody with any experience with the 532h amp. Thanks!
    sonus faber guarneri evolution and raidho c1.2, berkeley alpha dac 2, micro Zotl m2z preamplifier, classe cam 400 mono amps, audio note lexus speaker cables, audioquest water interconnects

See post #2 & notice the signature.

Quote Originally Posted by aerialacoustics View Post
    Bump. Anybody with any experience with the 532h amp. Thanks!

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I have the 531H monos at home. I believe this is the monoblock version of 532H.

They sound very 'spectral like' to my ears. Fast and extended, with great bass slam and articulation, but overall - on the colder side of neutral.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Quote Originally Posted by jahjahlove View Post
    does anyone here have direct experience of this amp and can compare it to say the 23.5 or 27.5 ?
    Indeed the stereophile review was great, but I also find this comments:
    "The 532H is obviously built to a price point, made with many cost cutting features. It has power supplies that are about 1/3 the rating of similar power spec. Levinson amps preceding it. I've also noticed in the brochure, what might be a "Levinson" first actually, that Harman doesn't show off the interior with photographs of the power supply design and layout, and for a good reason. It's a half empty box, filled with cost cutting measures. Harman looks to be capitalizing on the Levinson name, with an amp that Madrigal would have marketed as a Proceed for about half of the price. For comparison, the venerable 23.5 was packed full, literally, of the best solid state had to offer at the time, close to 300watts into 8 ohms, with 1258VA, and 72,000mF filter capacitance per channel! It also "doubled down," which the 532H does not. The 23.5 retailed for $5900 in 92', and adjusted for inflation, would put it at about $7630 today. Also, remeber that when Madrigal upped the specs from the 20 series to the 331, 332, and 333, they lowered the price, citing the use of less expensive production techniques. If Harman has any advantage over Madrigal, I would think it would be in the area of production cost. Good as the 532H may sound, it is overpriced at $8500. Owning a Levinson amp, for me at least, has been for more than just the sound. Its for having high fidelity, as well as the confidence that you own a powerful, stable amp, that can drive ANY load, and is never the weak link in the chain. I don't feel the 532H offers this, and that Harman is devaluing the Levinson brand by using the Levinson name for the "H' series. As far as I'm aware, they now have rights to the Proceed name, so why not use it? Greed, perhaps?

which tend to kill the magic ....
    I would try for a 532 and not a 532H , its been so long since i have heard a 27.5 very difficult to say, wager a guess the 532 is the better amp , they are well constructed and very much so vs a 532H

regards

The 532 is a monster. I'd suggest considering a pre-owned No. 433 - even if you don't need the third channel - assuming you can find one. The last and probably best of the 43x series - excellent amp - sound and quality.... without the No. 33x capacitor issue.

you don't want a 532, it's no longer in production for a reason.

I personally don't find it to be overly cold, definitely not fatiguing. With any system, associated equipment will influence.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Are you using the pass xp10 with the 532h? Is that better than the ml 326s ?
    sonus faber guarneri evolution and raidho c1.2, berkeley alpha dac 2, micro Zotl m2z preamplifier, classe cam 400 mono amps, audio note lexus speaker cables, audioquest water interconnects

Interesting question. I had my XP10 and a Pass X250, the dealer lent me the 326 to try, could be synergy or some other reason but in my opinion the XP10 was better by a good margin. The 326 with a Pass amp was some more transparent but that's about it. The 326 made the sound stage sound like half an image, I know that may not make sense, it's like vocals for instance, I felt like I was hearing half a face.
    So time goes by, I still have both Pass units, I try the 532h on the dealer request. I just recently listened to Merrill Audio Verita's and I think the dealer thought I was looking. I popped the 532h in the system not really meaning to buyat all. I really liked what the 532h did, leading edges were sharper, I had more transparency and the32h is quick, morenimble to be precise. So I boughtit. He nolonger has a 326 and I'm currently happy with the XP10. I feel the XP10 is relatively neutral but it may be helping the 532h more than I realize.

Quote Originally Posted by aerialacoustics View Post
    Are you using the pass xp10 with the 532h? Is that better than the ml 326s ?

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

I used a ML326s for several years and thought it at about the same level at the Pass xp30 when I auditioned them. Upgraded to the new 523 and its in a different league entirely.

George

That's saying something for the 326s. I auditioned a 326 going to a Pass X250 amp and preferred my Pass XP10 by comparison. I'm not sure why the 326 didn't do well. It sounded great in my friend's all Levinson set up.

Any idea if the grounding pins would be different for the XLR connections, and if, they were, what the effect might have been?

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

So something clearly wasn't right if you were hearing 1/2 an image with the 326s. One of the things that the 326s does extremely well is present a very large soundstage with lots of space between instruments. Where the newer pre amps are better is really in detail retrieval and the depth and presence of the soundstage. The new 523 has a huge soundstage and a more refined top end than the 326. You should definitely try the 523 with your 532h ... you will like it! Just make sure its broken in first as they don't sound their best for a few weeks out of the box. That said ... Synergy is something else likely at play here in that I'm not surprised that with a Pass Labs amp a Pass labs pre might be preferred as they were likely voiced in a complementary fashion much in the same way Levinson and McIntosh amps typically sound best with their own pre amps. If you are careful you can sometimes put together combos that give you the best of both worlds but more often than not what you end of with is the worst of both worlds. As long as you can demo at home and you like what YOU hear then that really the only thing that matters. Enjoy!

George

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Mark levinson 532h