Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

MQA what's the big deal?

On different fora I have seen MQA topics explode. Easily reaching 10+ pages.

As far I understand MQA is a bit like a ZIP file so that FLAC streaming takes up less bandwith. Also there is a lot of discussion if MQA is lossless or not.

I have no Tidal, Qobus, or Spotify. Should I care about Tidal at all? Or is it like DSD a lot of hot wind but very little content.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Super Moderator

Re: MQA what's the big deal?

I have most of the streaming services and like each one. If you have not heard dsd done properly, you really need to get a demo. Right now Tidal with a decent selection of MQA titles in addition to the regular cd quality streams is wonderful. Hearing MQA even though the desktop app at 24/96 or slightly below is a treat. If you have already made up your mind, please try and listen or get the free trial.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I have most of the streaming services and like each one. If you have not heard dsd done properly, you really need to get a demo. Right now Tidal with a decent selection of MQA titles in addition to the regular cd quality streams is wonderful. Hearing MQA even though the desktop app at 24/96 or slightly below is a treat. If you have already made up your mind, please try and listen or get the free trial.
    +1 Don't knock it 'till you try it!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Digital: LH Labs Source (someday...) + LH Labs Geek Pulse SFi
    Analogue: Audio Technica OC9ML/ii + Technics 1200SL + Nikko Beta 40 (phono only)
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE
    First Watt F6
    Focal 816VW Special Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    On different fora I have seen MQA topics explode. Easily reaching 10+ pages.

As far I understand MQA is a bit like a ZIP file so that FLAC streaming takes up less bandwith. Also there is a lot of discussion if MQA is lossless or not.

I have no Tidal, Qobus, or Spotify. Should I care about Tidal at all? Or is it like DSD a lot of hot wind but very little content.
    Very little DSD content? Hahahahaha. You are sooo wrong.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Very little DSD content? Hahahahaha. You are sooo wrong.
    Okay where are all the 10th of thousands DVD albums? if I may ask. Native DSD has about 1100 albums. HDtracks has maybe a few hundred albums.

Even hires PCM is very rare. I have I guess between 600 and 1200 albums. I doubt there are more then 5 of them available on DSD or more then 50 on 24/192.

https://www.discogs.com/user/mordante/collection
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Okay where are all the 10th of thousands DVD albums? if I may ask. Native DSD has about 1100 albums. HDtracks has maybe a few hundred albums.

Even hires PCM is very rare. I have I guess between 600 and 1200 albums. I doubt there are more then 5 of them available on DSD or more then 50 on 24/192.

https://www.discogs.com/user/mordante/collection
    Ever heard of a PS3 ripper? Ever heard of vinyl rips? Ever heard of HQP upsampler? Of course you have. DSD is now really a PLAYBACK format. Anything can be PCM or DSD now. The most impressive track I have of the thousands I have is a needle drop at DSD128.

JRiver Catalog says I have about 2 years of continuous listening of my music collection which is about 60% DSD.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Ever heard of a PS3 ripper? Ever heard of vinyl rips? Ever heard of HQP upsampler? Of course you have. DSD is now really a PLAYBACK format. Anything can be PCM or DSD now. The most impressive track I have of the thousands I have is a needle drop at DSD128.

JRiver Catalog says I have about 2 years of continuous listening of my music collection which is about 60% DSD.
    Hi Wisnon, what is the album of that 128 DSD needledrop?

Super Moderator

Michael Jackson Thriller, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Not wanting to start a format war.

For me DSD a dead format. Yes I have heard of HQP resampler. Vinyl rips and PS3 ripper is new for me. As far as I just read PS3 ripper is for SACDs. Well I never bought any SACDs.

DSD is a niche within a niche within a niche within a niche

audiophile==>into streaming==>into computer audio==>into DSD

My streaming setup is

NAS==>Streamer==>DAC

Since I have a multibit DAC DSD is of no interest to me.

Not saying DSD is bad. Just different compared to PCM. Same when I heard PCM vs MQA just different.

MQA is PCM, only with compression and DSP (to attempt to mimic the original ADC > DAC the artist and mastering engineer heard) applied. It may be a gimick, or it may be a true advance in home audio reproduction of digital recordings (or perhaps both).
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    MQA is PCM, only with compression and DSP (to attempt to mimic the original ADC > DAC the artist and mastering engineer heard) applied. It may be a gimick, or it may be a true advance in home audio reproduction of digital recordings (or perhaps both).
    Have you formed an opinion yet Rob on where MQA stands in your digital hierarchy?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
    Just one track of the 45 single.

Satchmo's St James infirmary.
    NORMAN

Not wanting to start a format war.

For me DSD a dead format. Yes I have heard of HQP resampler. Vinyl rips and PS3 ripper is new for me. As far as I just read PS3 ripper is for SACDs. Well I never bought any SACDs.

DSD is a niche within a niche within a niche within a niche

audiophile==>into streaming==>into computer audio==>into DSD

My streaming setup is

NAS==>Streamer==>DAC

Since I have a multibit DAC DSD is of no interest to me.

Not saying DSD is bad. Just different compared to PCM. Same when I heard PCM vs MQA just different.
    I want it all. Just like in the cassette days. I want Chrome/metal/ferrous, etc. No restrictions.

My Dac has an R2R PCM converter and 2 dac chipless DSD converters.
    MQA is treated PCM, and DXD is ultra hi-rez PCM.

Unless you heard DSD done right, you won't get it. The ready chip approach has disappointed too many people and gave them a false idea. Would you judge PCM by a shitty Dac chip, now that you are used to your multibit converter?
    NORMAN

Unless you heard DSD done right, you won't get it. The ready chip approach has disappointed too many people and gave them a false idea. Would you judge PCM by a shitty Dac chip, now that you are used to your multiunit converter?
    We all have a right to our opinions on DSD versus PCM and now MQA when as you say, done right.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

I want it all. Just like in the cassette days. I want Chrome/metal/ferrous, etc. No restrictions.

My Dac has an R2R PCM converter and 2 dac chipless DSD converters.
    MQA is treated PCM, and DXD is ultra hi-rez PCM.

Unless you heard DSD done right, you won't get it. The ready chip approach has disappointed too many people and gave them a false idea. Would you judge PCM by a shitty Dac chip, now that you are used to your multiunit converter?
    I suspect you are correct.

However funds did not allow me to buy something like your DAC. Thus I wanted the best IMHO I could afford. Which resulted in my R2R DAC.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Have you formed an opinion yet Rob on where MQA stands in your digital hierarchy?
    After a lot of listening to albums of which I also have hi-res downloads, I'm very curious to hear some of them through a MQA-DAC. The MQA files usually sound different (by varying amounts) than the traditional hi-res; if that is improved (rather than just made different) by the final step of having a MQA-DAC, there could be something worthwhile here. It will also be interesting to see if Warner's encodes their entire catalog by this spring, as Stuart claimed they will have done (in an interview last year).

The Mytek Brooklyn is probably very similar to your current DAC (with the addition of MQA), but I'd really like to see a ESS 9038 based MQA-DAC if I'm going to buy a new one.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;

I suspect you are correct.

However funds did not allow me to buy something like your DAC. Thus I wanted the best IMHO I could afford. Which resulted in my R2R DAC.
    Mordant, I heard the same magic with a Lampi L4 DSD only Dac. Used they run for $2K or less.
    NORMAN

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    We all have a right to our opinions on DSD versus PCM and now MQA when as you say, done right.
    Jim, when did I contradict that?

On the contrary, I said I want it all, if possible.
    NORMAN

Jim, when did I contradict that?

On the contrary, I said I want it all, if possible.
    Norman
    I apologize if I misunderstood your point and took it to mean that you felt DSD "done right" was the pinnacle of digital audio. You have every right to believe that just a I believe PCM and MQA done right take no back seat to DSD.

Like you, I want the choice to pick and choose from all available formats. I have no plans to duplicate my library just because a new format is made available. I will selectivly purchase those I want to own and if Tidal is successful I will have access to unbelievably great sound for those I can live without. This is a great time for music lovers.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Audioshark

Question: with Sony records on board, is MQA the final nail in DSD's coffin?

Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

I do believe people will have an easier time playing decoding MQA than DSD. If your NAS is not setup properly (aka minimserver), you can't play DSD properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Discuss.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Discuss.

Is Sony Records on board with MQA specifically, or simply hi-res digital streaming (e.g., Qubuz streaming 24/96 FLAC)?
    Rob

Discuss.

I guess it all depends on what Sony will bring to the table as far as music from its major labels.

Other news dated 1/5/2017 Hi-rez streaming is getting major support. ; .http://www.billboard.com/articles/bu...-streaming-mqa
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I truly love DSD... and tons is available... I have 116 albums downloaded in DSD, 38 DSD SACD disks. Mostly classic rock, folk, jazz vocals, and jazz

My DAC/pre-amp company chooses to only support DSD64, however it incorporates the latest ESS generation of chips, the 9028 Pro. So much better than the 9018. I was actually considering the Brooklyn but decided it did not give me what I needed. Only one analog input, no remote, and using the 9018 mobile version. Since I do not stream MQA was not a big factor for me.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I do believe people will have an easier time playing decoding MQA than DSD. If your NAS is not setup properly (aka minimserver), you can't play DSD properly.
    That really depends on your setup. If you are using a computer or music server controlling your NAS, or internal storage than there is nothing to it. Of course depending on controlling software; JRiver and of course Roon have no problem switching between PCM and DSD.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Discuss.

The two are apples and oranges Mike. As we all know, DSD had greater adoption potential than what's been realized. While it is premature to assert, MQA has the potential to be the new standard. I would expect other streaming services to support it (Pandora, Spotify, who knows maybe even Apple) and with the advent of internet radio, I heart radio etc, even radio stations could start "broadcasting" in MQA. Whether this ever actually happens is anyone's guess but the potential is there while it is not with DSD. Lastly, as you know DSD is just that - one needs A DSD dac for playback. MQA is universally compatible so if one does not have a MQA dac, no problem, the file will still play fine. Hope this helps...

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by La Dolce Vita View Post
    The two are apples and oranges Mike. As we all know, DSD had greater adoption potential than what's been realized. While it is premature to assert, MQA has the potential to be the new standard. I would expect other streaming services to support it (Pandora, Spotify, who knows maybe even Apple) and with the advent of internet radio, I heart radio etc, even radio stations could start "broadcasting" in MQA. Whether this ever actually happens is anyone's guess but the potential is there while it is not with DSD. Lastly, as you know DSD is just that - one needs A DSD dac for playback. MQA is universally compatible so if one does not have a MQA dac, no problem, the file will still play fine. Hope this helps...

you're missing the point. MQA will pass the number of albums available in DSD in no short order. MAJOR Labels are behind MQA, not DSD.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

you're missing the point. MQA will pass the number of albums available in DSD in no short order. MAJOR Labels are behind MQA, not DSD.
    Nope, I'm not. I just outlined the reasons why MQA is likely to surpass DSD and why major labels are behind it. Did you have your coffee yet this morning? MQA what's the big deal?

Michael Lavorgna (I don't know if this from direct communications with the companies) has posted that Pandora and Rhapsody, as well as Sony, are leaning more towards streaming hi-res FLAC rather than MQA
    Rob

Audioshark

Michael Lavorgna (I don't know if this from direct communications with the companies) has posted that Pandora and Rhapsody, as well as Sony, are leaning more towards streaming hi-res FLAC rather than MQA
    And that could be the fly in the ointment for MQA. No need for crazy licensing schemes, just flip the switch on 24/96. Interesting.

I'll ask him when I bump into him next. Not sure that makes much sense for Sony if they are getting behind MQA. In any case, I've no crystal ball and will just have to wait and see. Thanks for the input.

This is all a bit confusing to the consumer. When it appears that MQA has finally taken its first baby steps to walk on its wobbly legs, now comes a cloud of doubt that it won't be supported by the major labels and they will support hi-rez Flac instead? Why is it that digital music can never get its act together? How many digital formats have we seen come and go over the years because not enough people gave a damn about them or even knew they existed (SACD, HDCD, DVD-A, and on and on)? The digital market place is crowded with how many different versions of digital files?? You have all of the MP3 crap, RBCD, and then all of the attempts to increase the bit depth and resolution from 16/44.1 to 24/192 and beyond. Oh, and whatever happened to My Little Pono starting a digital revolution? There are too many carnival barkers shouting at the unenlightened digital customers and they can't hear over the noise so most of them just stream MP3 and are enjoying their all you can stand low-rez digital buffet. The masses are oblivious to all of the digital formats that have fallen by the wayside and the current attempts to be the best and newest digital format.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

This is all a bit confusing to the consumer. When it appears that MQA has finally taken its first baby steps to walk on its wobbly legs, now comes a cloud of doubt that it won't be supported by the major labels and they will support hi-rez Flac instead? Why is it that digital music can never get its act together? How many digital formats have we seen come and go over the years because not enough people gave a damn about them or even knew they existed (SACD, HDCD, DVD-A, and on and on)? The digital market place is crowded with how many different versions of digital files?? You have all of the MP3 crap, RBCD, and then all of the attempts to increase the bit depth and resolution from 16/44.1 to 24/192 and beyond. Oh, and whatever happened to My Little Pono starting a digital revolution? There are too many carnival barkers shouting at the unenlightened digital customers and they can't hear over the noise so most of them just stream MP3 and are enjoying their all you can stand low-rez digital buffet. The masses are oblivious to all of the digital formats that have fallen by the wayside and the current attempts to be the best and newest digital format.
    I hear you! Personally I believe MQA has the potential to finally breakthrough. But who knows? Too early to say st this point and many stars would need to align for this to actually occur. Still...it could.

Mike L may likely have some information we don't but let's be very careful not to carry this thread forward accepting this tidbit as gospel - at least without further clarification/verification.

Your points are well made. In my opinion the time is right for a new format to stick and take hold.

Quote Originally Posted by La Dolce Vita View Post
    I hear you! Personally I believe MQA has the potential to finally breakthrough. But who knows? Too early to say st this point and many stars would need to align for this to actually occur. Still...it could.

Mike L may likely have some information we don't but let's be very careful not to carry this thread forward accepting this tidbit as gospel - at least without further clarification/verification.

Your points are well made. In my opinion the time is right for a new format to stick and take hold.

Its not gossip its real news in real print

http://www.billboard.com/articles/bu...-streaming-mqa
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Its not gossip its real news in real print

http://www.billboard.com/articles/bu...-streaming-mqa
    From the article: "hi-res audio MP3s..." Say what? That's an oxymoron right? And how about this quote to marginalize high rez audio from Chris Martin in the article you linked to: "While not for everyone, Hi-Res music streaming has the potential to engage millions of digital music fans who are seeking a more immersive, studio quality listening experience.” Why shouldn't it be for everyone who gives a damn about listening to music? If I gave you a taste test first and then a choice between eating a filet mignon or eating a hamburger from McDonalds that was cooked 30 minutes ago and was patiently waiting to be served nestled inside a warming tray waiting for a bun and a customer, which are you going to choose?

From the article: "hi-res audio MP3s..." Say what? That's an oxymoron right? And how about this quote to marginalize high rez audio from Chris Martin in the article you linked to: "While not for everyone, Hi-Res music streaming has the potential to engage millions of digital music fans who are seeking a more immersive, studio quality listening experience.” Why shouldn't it be for everyone who gives a damn about listening to music? If I gave you a taste test first and then a choice between eating a filet mignon or eating a hamburger from McDonalds that was cooked 30 minutes ago and was patiently waiting to be served nestled inside a warming tray waiting for a bun and a customer, which are you going to choose?
    You missed the article, its saying " digital music's traditionally compressed and largely inferior sound, which stems in part from the way MP3s were designed.", they seem to be moving away from that to something else, whatever that is..

ps: I take my steak medium rare thankyou

Being able to play MQA on non-MQA certified DACs is not the same thing as listening to it at it's best. I think this is the real point. It appears that according to Meridian if you don't have a MQA certified DAC you will be treated as the redheaded step child. We will let you come to the party, just not be allowed into the "special" room.

Again back to the deep down thing about MQA.... it is in fact PCM but with Meridians "special sauce" for those who buy into their party, so to speak. And again I go back to that anyone I have read doing head to head comparison's, MQA versus high resolution download versions of albums have came away saying that the high resolution is better. High resolution is not much larger file size than MQA and everyone is invited to the party and the can experience the benefits using their current playback software, i.e. JRivers, Roon, etc., not a separate application just to play back their "special" files.

And for purity of sound most people agree that DSD is even better, but is definitely too large for streaming. For us non-streamers file size is fairly irrelevant. And again I will relate back to conversations I have had with an artist who is one of the early MQA adopters. He had also done extensive recording in DSD (I own several of his DSD albums). According to him, DSD is the best sounding digital source but MQA is much easier for streaming or for carrying on a portable. And almost every current DAC has some kind of DSD capability along with PCM, with a few exceptions. So the hardware to play these formats is in the hands of most people who really care.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    You missed the article, its saying " digital music's traditionally compressed and largely inferior sound, which stems in part from the way MP3s were designed.", they seem to be moving away from that to something else, whatever that is..

ps: I take my steak medium rare thankyou
    I didn't miss this: "Since then, the music industry has increasingly come out in support of the new technologies in a more concerted effort throwing its support behind hi-res audio MP3s and last spring introducing MQA."

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Being able to play MQA on non-MQA certified DACs is not the same thing as listening to it at it's best. I think this is the real point. It appears that according to Meridian if you don't have a MQA certified DAC you will be treated as the redheaded step child. We will let you come to the party, just not be allowed into the "special" room.

Again back to the deep down thing about MQA.... it is in fact PCM but with Meridians "special sauce" for those who buy into their party, so to speak. And again I go back to that anyone I have read doing head to head comparison's, MQA versus high resolution download versions of albums have came away saying that the high resolution is better. High resolution is not much larger file size than MQA and everyone is invited to the party and the can experience the benefits using their current playback software, i.e. JRivers, Roon, etc., not a separate application just to play back their "special" files.

And for purity of sound most people agree that DSD is even better, but is definitely too large for streaming. For us non-streamers file size is fairly irrelevant. And again I will relate back to conversations I have had with an artist who is one of the early MQA adopters. He had also done extensive recording in DSD (I own several of his DSD albums). According to him, DSD is the best sounding digital source but MQA is much easier for streaming or for carrying on a portable. And almost every current DAC has some kind of DSD capability along with PCM, with a few exceptions. So the hardware to play these formats is in the hands of most people who really care.
    In my listening experience and imho native DSD does NOT sound "better"(hate this word) than fully HW decoded MQA......they both sound REALLY GOOD and it might come down to personal opinion and on a particular recording where one would choose one over the other. YMMV on your system, in my system(s) both HW decoded MQA and native DSD along with vinyl and R2R are all great.....calling one better is nothing but someone's personal opinion.

I will give you that. System setup, recording, etc., are all involved, along with personal preferences. However I was actually quoting some conversations I had with David Elias.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I will give you that. System setup, recording, etc., are all involved, along with personal preferences. However I was actually quoting some conversations I had with David Elias.
    Understood, just saying that all of these new hi-rez formats sound pretty darn good and the "better" thing is really personal preference.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

MQA what's the big deal?