MQA what's the big deal? - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: MQA what's the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    MQA is PCM, only with compression and DSP (to attempt to mimic the original ADC > DAC the artist and mastering engineer heard) applied. It may be a gimick, or it may be a true advance in home audio reproduction of digital recordings (or perhaps both).
    Have you formed an opinion yet Rob on where MQA stands in your digital hierarchy?
    Technics SP-10MKII table in custom plinth with custom power supply made by Peter Noerbaek of PBN, SME 312s arm, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, laptop music server running JRiver 20, Mytek Stereo 192 DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, NOLA KO speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and a pair of Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
    Hi Wisnon, what is the album of that 128 DSD needledrop?
    Just one track of the 45 single.

Satchmo's St James infirmary.
    NORMAN
    M-Mini/ i7PC/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG Dac> Rowen Swiss Power NAD c375BEE /vintage McIntosh 2225/Lampi Silk power cond.+ Phase flipper> Energy 8" sub> Heil AMT KITHARA bi-wire. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. Unpowered USB cable, Uptone Regen. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

3. Thanks Narayan thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    Not wanting to start a format war.

For me DSD a dead format. Yes I have heard of HQP resampler. Vinyl rips and PS3 ripper is new for me. As far as I just read PS3 ripper is for SACDs. Well I never bought any SACDs.

DSD is a niche within a niche within a niche within a niche

audiophile==>into streaming==>into computer audio==>into DSD

My streaming setup is

NAS==>Streamer==>DAC

Since I have a multibit DAC DSD is of no interest to me.

Not saying DSD is bad. Just different compared to PCM. Same when I heard PCM vs MQA just different.
    I want it all. Just like in the cassette days. I want Chrome/metal/ferrous, etc. No restrictions.

My Dac has an R2R PCM converter and 2 dac chipless DSD converters.
    MQA is treated PCM, and DXD is ultra hi-rez PCM.

Unless you heard DSD done right, you won't get it. The ready chip approach has disappointed too many people and gave them a false idea. Would you judge PCM by a shitty Dac chip, now that you are used to your multibit converter?
    NORMAN
    M-Mini/ i7PC/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG Dac> Rowen Swiss Power NAD c375BEE /vintage McIntosh 2225/Lampi Silk power cond.+ Phase flipper> Energy 8" sub> Heil AMT KITHARA bi-wire. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. Unpowered USB cable, Uptone Regen. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Unless you heard DSD done right, you won't get it. The ready chip approach has disappointed too many people and gave them a false idea. Would you judge PCM by a shitty Dac chip, now that you are used to your multiunit converter?
    We all have a right to our opinions on DSD versus PCM and now MQA when as you say, done right.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum Mono amps & Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: Meridian 808v6 and Meridian MC-200 (Sooloos)
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects, PC - Transparent Reference Powerlink MM2x
    Power: Shunyata Denali

Post Thanks / Like

I want it all. Just like in the cassette days. I want Chrome/metal/ferrous, etc. No restrictions.

My Dac has an R2R PCM converter and 2 dac chipless DSD converters.
    MQA is treated PCM, and DXD is ultra hi-rez PCM.

Unless you heard DSD done right, you won't get it. The ready chip approach has disappointed too many people and gave them a false idea. Would you judge PCM by a shitty Dac chip, now that you are used to your multiunit converter?
    I suspect you are correct.

However funds did not allow me to buy something like your DAC. Thus I wanted the best IMHO I could afford. Which resulted in my R2R DAC.
    Integrated amp: Symphonic Line La Music Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Te Kaitora Rua Streamer: Auralic Aries LE DAC: Schiit Gungnir Multibit Phono amp: RCM Sensor Prelude Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Master One by Dynamic Soulution Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 Interlinks Ansuz X Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, NBS dragon fly, NBS Monitor 3, Shunyata Taipan Helix alpha Audio Rack: Solid Steel H6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Have you formed an opinion yet Rob on where MQA stands in your digital hierarchy?
    After a lot of listening to albums of which I also have hi-res downloads, I'm very curious to hear some of them through a MQA-DAC. The MQA files usually sound different (by varying amounts) than the traditional hi-res; if that is improved (rather than just made different) by the final step of having a MQA-DAC, there could be something worthwhile here. It will also be interesting to see if Warner's encodes their entire catalog by this spring, as Stuart claimed they will have done (in an interview last year).

The Mytek Brooklyn is probably very similar to your current DAC (with the addition of MQA), but I'd really like to see a ESS 9038 based MQA-DAC if I'm going to buy a new one.
    Rob

Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod
    Pass Labs INT60
    Acoustic Zen Crescendos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    I suspect you are correct.

However funds did not allow me to buy something like your DAC. Thus I wanted the best IMHO I could afford. Which resulted in my R2R DAC.
    Mordant, I heard the same magic with a Lampi L4 DSD only Dac. Used they run for $2K or less.
    NORMAN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    We all have a right to our opinions on DSD versus PCM and now MQA when as you say, done right.
    Jim, when did I contradict that?

On the contrary, I said I want it all, if possible.
    NORMAN

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, when did I contradict that?

On the contrary, I said I want it all, if possible.
    Norman
    I apologize if I misunderstood your point and took it to mean that you felt DSD "done right" was the pinnacle of digital audio. You have every right to believe that just a I believe PCM and MQA done right take no back seat to DSD.

Like you, I want the choice to pick and choose from all available formats. I have no plans to duplicate my library just because a new format is made available. I will selectivly purchase those I want to own and if Tidal is successful I will have access to unbelievably great sound for those I can live without. This is a great time for music lovers.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum Mono amps & Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: Meridian 808v6 and Meridian MC-200 (Sooloos)
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects, PC - Transparent Reference Powerlink MM2x
    Power: Shunyata Denali

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Question: with Sony records on board, is MQA the final nail in DSD's coffin?

Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: AAvik Electronics, Aurender, Ansuz Cables, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, Crystal Cable, Dali Loudspeakers, Entreq, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, KEF, Kimber Kable, KLAudio, KR Audio, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Magico Loudspeakers, Manley Labs, Melco Audio, MicroMega, M2Tech, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PlayBack Designs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Raidho Loudspeakers, Rega Turntables, REL Acoustics, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Small Green Computer Company, Solid Tech Racks, Sonoma Acoustics, SOtM, SRA, Straight Wire, Stillpoints, T+A, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Vandersteen Speakers, Vicoustics, Vitus Audio, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WyWyres Cables, ZYX Cartridges.

www.suncoastaudio.com
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast