Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Aurender W20 and dCS Vivaldi

Anyone hooked up an Aurender W20 to a dCS front end? The documentation is a bit confusing and the Aurender guy I've been corresponding with is trying to help but I'm not convinced we have a plan.

Here is my issue. Currently both the upsampler and the DAC get two inputs each from the dCS master clock: one Group is a multiple of 44.1kHz, the other Group is a multiple of 48kHz. So when a file is sent from the server to the upsampler, Vivaldi senses the resolution and adjusts its clock according. When the upsampler out put is sent to the DAC (presumably at a different resolution) Vivaldi gives it the correct clock frequency also.

The W20 setup as depicted on their website only has one clock signal to the DAC from Group 2 and one clock to the Upsampler from Group 1. The W20 gets its own Group 1 also. So the RS232 control signal from the W20 has to be able to change the Group 1 or Group 2 clock (independently as they may be different) to the DAC and Upsampler so that everyone is synched. Is this how you set up the W20 and how does it work?

Eric
    Wadax Reference DAC and Server
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    CH Precision M10 Amplifier
    Rockport Orion speakers
    Nordost ODIN 2 speaker cables and interconnects
    StromTank 2500 Power Supply
    Shunyata Sigma QR power cords
    Shunyata Everest power conditioner
    Vicoustics Room Treatments

Post Re: Aurender W20 and dCS Vivaldi

After a few minor issues with transferring data to the W20 due to the storm system that moved through Florida Sunday night, I finally had a chance to see what the W20 can do. After the file transfer was completed I ran the unit playing repeated tracks for about 48 hours continuous to get a little burn in time on it. I noted earlier that this unit is very heavy. I took this as a sure sign the designers had paid proper attention to shielding and more importantly to the quality of the power supply. I was right.

It only took a few seconds on a familiar track to discern the blacker background created by the W20 compared to my Mac Mini. The individual images stood out in starker contrast. Very nice and not subtle improvement. The connection to the Vivaldi upsampler was asynchronus USB. I want to get familiar with that sound for a few days before I add in the Vivaldi Master Clock connection.

The user interface on the iPad app is fantastic. Easy to use without peeking at the users manual at all. Great overall design and a welcome addition to my system. Thanks to Mike for introducing me to the Aurender products.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    Rockport Orion speakers

Super Moderator

Re: Aurender W20 and dCS Vivaldi

Eric,

What an amazing setup. Well done!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Eric.......What a fine looking system. I am happy for you. The Aurender W20 is the perfect compliment to such a high-end setup.

Congratulations on selecting a premium source component.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Eric - Congrats on the new addition to your fine system! Looks like you need to update your signature accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Eric - Congrats on the new addition to your fine system! Looks like you need to update your signature accordingly.
    Yikes! Good catch.

Eric
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    Rockport Orion speakers

Yesterday I hooked up the W20 to the Vivaldi to permit the Master Clock to synch the unit. The Aurender website has a diagram of how the set up should look. Note that they presume you will upsample all files to DSD (which was true for me anyway). This is important as the clock to the DAC (Group 2) is set for 44.1kHz and is not switched as far as I can tell if you want to change the output resolution.

Diagram: USB1Upsample to DSD:

http://www.aurender.com/page/manual-..._systeminstall

A written summary:

The Master clock has three outputs. Group 1 to W20, Group 1 to Upsampler and Group 2 (Set to 44.1mHz) to DAC. Via the supplied dongle, there is a USB connection to the W20 USB input

The Upsampler has a USB input from the W20 (formerly asynchronous USB), and a clock input from Group 1. The USB input was set to W or synch mode. The Upsampler outputs dual AES to the DAC

The DAC gets dual AES (1 and 2) from the Upsampler (AES 1 and 2 is enabled, AES 3 and 4 is disabled). The DAC also gets a Group 2 clock input on W1 from the clock. The DAC balanced outputs go to my mono blocks.

One note that I didn't see anywhere in the write-up. There is a menu selection in the W20 Settings where you must turn on Clock Synch. Once I enable this capability, the clock switched inputs efficiently when the resolution of the input files changed from 44.1 to 96kHz.

I didn't get a chance last night to do any critical listening. As I stated in a previous post, the asynchronous USB input created a very black background and tight imaging improving my previous set up significantly. I'd be happy right there without any other improvements. I'll post again in a few days.

Cincy
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    Rockport Orion speakers

Very curious how things turn out for you. I'm using a NAS drive off my Vivaldi upsampler and it just takes some time to set up and fool with. I also have Roon...but it seems to soften the transients and not sound as good. Doesn't your W20 have dual AES outputs? Wondering if that is better...
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Amp: Nagra HD Preamp & Amps
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus & Opus Gen 5 Speaker
    Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks:
    Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

Quote Originally Posted by jfrech View Post
    Very curious how things turn out for you. I'm using a NAS drive off my Vivaldi upsampler and it just takes some time to set up and fool with. I also have Roon...but it seems to soften the transients and not sound as good. Doesn't your W20 have dual AES outputs? Wondering if that is better...
    Yes the W20 has a dual AES output that will feed a DAC. I run dual AES from the upsampler to the DAC so i am using the W20's USB connection.

Eric
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    Rockport Orion speakers

Can't wait to read about how the system is sounding after the W20 breaks in Eric.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

I spent about an hour and a half with my reference tracks last night with the full system setup as previously described. The W20 with the asynchronous input to my upsampler had a dramatic effect on noise level and contrast between background and images. The system with a time synched input was different (and better by my definition) but the change was more subtle. It showed itself in tracks with solo saxophone or clarinet where the image "density" and bloom was enhanced. On well recorded piano tracks the percussive sound of the notes has a faster rise time i.e. the impact of hammer on string was sharper and more natural (we have a very good german Bluthner piano so I am very sensitive to how a recorded track sounds). Cymbals shimmered a bit more delicately.

In combination with all the other improvements in the system I have made in the last six months (Vivaldi software / hardware 2.0 upgrade, D'Agostino M400's, Magico M3's, Rel G1Mk2's and a room set up by Jim Smith, the W20 in its time synched form adds a layer satisfaction beyond what I thought was possible in a stereo system. I'm done...for a while anyway.

Cincy
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    Rockport Orion speakers

Hi Eric,

What a wonderful & perfect setup.

I understand the dCS Vivaldi has built-in network / music streaming function. I wonder if the addition of your Aurender W20 (appears to be duplicated, function wise) has any improvement on the overall performance of your system? Have you made any comparison (e.g. Aurender W20 + dCS Vivaldi vs. dCS Vivaldi alone)? Can you share with me your experience and advice?

I have recently bought a dCS Vivaldi One. Its sound quality is very good (best ever compared to my past entry-level hifi equipment). However, I've found that the Vivaldi 2.0 iPad App isn't very user-friendly (at least less powerful than expected) and it has quite a number of issues when playing music especially DSD files. Further, my fidata (an audio grade NAS / music server with only 1TB SSD storage - made by the Japanese) is running out of storage. In the circumstances, I am thinking of getting the Aurender W20 as its control App is more innovative & powerful and more importantly it has much bigger storage (12TB?).

Many thanks,
    Simon

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Simon. Thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum Simon. Thank you for joining.
    Thanks Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
    I spent about an hour and a half with my reference tracks last night with the full system setup as previously described. The W20 with the asynchronous input to my upsampler had a dramatic effect on noise level and contrast between background and images. The system with a time synched input was different (and better by my definition) but the change was more subtle. It showed itself in tracks with solo saxophone or clarinet where the image "density" and bloom was enhanced. On well recorded piano tracks the percussive sound of the notes has a faster rise time i.e. the impact of hammer on string was sharper and more natural (we have a very good german Bluthner piano so I am very sensitive to how a recorded track sounds). Cymbals shimmered a bit more delicately.

In combination with all the other improvements in the system I have made in the last six months (Vivaldi software / hardware 2.0 upgrade, D'Agostino M400's, Magico M3's, Rel G1Mk2's and a room set up by Jim Smith, the W20 in its time synched form adds a layer satisfaction beyond what I thought was possible in a stereo system. I'm done...for a while anyway.

Cincy
    I can see how you would stick a fork in it for the time being, you went through a serious upgrade path, very impressive!
    Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R w/4point 11 arm | Kuzma 50 Cartridge
    Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
    Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum HD and M400’s | Boulder 508
    Speakers: Wilson Alexias
    Cabling: Nordost Leif, Norse, V2 and Odin
    Power and Isolation: Audio-Ultra Home & Room Power Foundation Performance Package with StromTank S1000 | HRS

Has anyone figured a way to use the W20 connected to the Rossini Clock where Roon sees the W20's files and the Rossini is the endpoint?

I am considering adding a Rossini clock.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Has anyone figured a way to use the W20 connected to the Rossini Clock where Roon sees the W20's files and the Rossini is the endpoint?

I am considering adding a Rossini clock.
    You should be able to point Roon to any drive on the network, which would include the Aurender drive(s). But why have Roon and a W20? Seems like a hell of a lot to spend on a media player just to use a hard drive. You can pick up the same hard drive for a few hundred bucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Aurender W20 and dCS Vivaldi