Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

So, does the introduction of MQA change/alter your plans going forward?

I'd like to take advantage of MQA for the easiest and least expensive way. What do you guys plan to do or not do regarding MQA?

Save me from doing something rash
    Last edited by joeinid; January 8, 2017 at 08:21 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: So, does the introduction of MQA change/alter your plans going forward?

If you look at some other boards many people are using the Tidal ap to output MQA via USB to their audio set-up. Whether you are getting all of MQA's benefits is still to be answered. Nonetheless they are pretty positive in their response.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Super Moderator

Thanks Jim, that's what I'm doing now. I wasn't getting the full benefit before. I had to check "exclusive mode" to get the highest resolution from the desktop app. All in all, I'm happier with the results and don't feel the same need to get an MQA dac until it has some time to settle down and sink in to the mainstream.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

For me personally I won't purchase a DAC without a statement from the vendor on MQA. Yes or No for example. However, after the Tidal announcement and playing back MQA content I'm very pleased as to the potential this has. I would assume a high end DAC like a DCS, EMM Labs with MQA hardware decoding might be even better than the software only.

I was skeptical at first with MQA but, hope the big name Digital Audio players, release some kind of official statement as to their hardware support.

I doubt I would consider a MQA DAC at this point because the ones in the affordable ranges are lower level on standard PCM and DSD, such as the Brooklyn which uses the ESS9018 mobile chip (like my Pono uses). The Meridian, like Jim has is in a different universe for most people.

The word is that Roon will eventually have software decoding. At that time I may check it out.

Or alternatively, if they release a separate inexpensive MQA decoder that can be used in conjunction with existing DACs then I might be interested in trying it out.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I am highly skeptical of MQA and am amazed at how much traction it continues to get. So to answer the original question - I have no plans to do anything with MQA at all.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Super Moderator

I have to say that I'm hearing some amazing music with these MQA Masters from Tidal now. I've enjoyed the heck out of the original CD quality streams, but now with just the desktop app and USB straight to my DAC, it's a new ballgame. Am I falling for the "hype"? It's real, not vaporware anymore. I cannot wait for the higher end DACs to fully embrace it, sky's the limit.

Already with just the Tidal app doing the conversion, the stereo image size is huge, not only left to right, but top to bottom and in depth too. The music feels a little more natural with better separation, tremendous air and better defined bass. I'm hooked. My music "collection" just got a whole lot more fun for no extra money. How is that not a win? I'm looking forward to the future even more now. 2017 is turning out to be amazing. Tighten your seatbelts boys, this is getting exciting.

Oh, and I'm not going to buy something with the promise of MQA or some feature not realized in a shipping product. I've been burned before. It has to be included from the beginning.
    Last edited by joeinid; January 9, 2017 at 07:43 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

dCS has said they will offer a software upgrade to their DACs for MQA sometime in the future. The DACS use FPGA's so it doesn't appear any hardware update will be required.

I signed up for the Tidal 60 day trial using the regular Tidal Redbook output via the dCS upsampler app. I have to say I'm not impressed. Someone else on the forum here said all the processing in the world can't make up for a bad recording. I have to agree. Can you sort on Record Labels in Tidal? That might be a help if you can just pull up the albums by the guys who know how to make an audiophile grade recording (Channel Classics, 2L, Opus 3, etc)

Cincy
    Wadax Reference DAC and Server
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    CH Precision M10 Amplifier
    Rockport Orion speakers
    Nordost ODIN 2 speaker cables and interconnects
    StromTank 2500 Power Supply
    Shunyata Sigma QR power cords
    Shunyata Everest power conditioner
    Vicoustics Room Treatments

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
    dCS has said they will offer a software upgrade to their DACs for MQA sometime in the future. The DACS use FPGA's so it doesn't appear any hardware update will be required.

I signed up for the Tidal 60 day trial using the regular Tidal Redbook output via the dCS upsampler app. I have to say I'm not impressed. Someone else on the forum here said all the processing in the world can't make up for a bad recording. I have to agree. Can you sort on Record Labels in Tidal? That might be a help if you can just pull up the albums by the guys who know how to make an audiophile grade recording (Channel Classics, 2L, Opus 3, etc)

Cincy

Cincy,

You have an amazing system. However, to my knowledge in order to get software MQA decoding from Tidal you must be using their desktop application (Windows/Mac).

Run the USB from the computer straight into your DAC. Using the Tidal App please make sure your DAC is using the "exclusive mode".

Please let us know.

Audioshark

Once your DAC is upgraded, the Aurender will handle MQA. Aurender is on board with MQA. We are hoping the Aurender software which can handle MQA will be released this month. The beta version is rocking and rolling, so now it's just a short wait.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I have to say that I'm hearing some amazing music with these MQA Masters from Tidal now. I've enjoyed the heck out of the original CD quality streams, but now with just the desktop app and USB straight to my DAC, it's a new ballgame. Am I falling for the "hype"? It's real, not vaporware anymore. I cannot wait for the higher end DACs to fully embrace it, sky's the limit.

Already with just the Tidal app doing the conversion, the stereo image size is huge, not only left to right, but top to bottom and in depth too. The music feels a little more natural with better separation, tremendous air and better defined bass. I'm hooked. My music "collection" just got a whole lot more fun for no extra money. How is that not a win? I'm looking forward to the future even more now. 2017 is turning out to be amazing. Tighten your seatbelts boys, this is getting exciting.

Oh, and I'm not going to buy something with the promise of MQA or some feature not realized in a shipping product. I've been burned before. It has to be included from the beginning.
    I have to say that comments like this (which are common) keep me very skeptical about MQA. Unless posters are exaggerating tremendously, this doesn't sound to me like something sonically closer to the master recording, it sounds like DSP "improvement", which inevitably means some listeners will like it and others won't. Perhaps more pertinent, it implies that some other engineer's DSP "improvement" might be preferable for any given recording on any given system.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Super Moderator

Some albums seem to sound better, or respond better (?), than others. I like what MQA does, whether it's closer to the master recording or not, I'll never know. It's a hellofa lot better than MP3's, so color me happy. I still have my hi-res pcm and dsd files, MQA just gives me another option. Contrary to popular belief and even though I've been trough a lot of gear, I am not that picky (so maybe that's why I like MQA) and love the music, no matter how I hear it.

Remaining skeptical is good. It keeps everyone honest. I like MQA, truthful or not, I am embracing it.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    I have to say that comments like this (which are common) keep me very skeptical about MQA. Unless posters are exaggerating tremendously, this doesn't sound to me like something sonically closer to the master recording, it sounds like DSP "improvement", which inevitably means some listeners will like it and others won't. Perhaps more pertinent, it implies that some other engineer's DSP "improvement" might be preferable for any given recording on any given system.
    Last edited by joeinid; January 9, 2017 at 11:54 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Play this MQA Master version on the Tidal desktop app or through USB into an MQA enabled DAC and then, tell me what you think.

Trilogy - Emerson, Lake & Palmer - "From The Beginning"

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; January 9, 2017 at 01:13 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Did you compare it to the recently released remastered 96 KHz version. The high res download is fantastic!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Rob, have you personally heard the new MQA/Tidal tracks?

Super Moderator

I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Did you compare it to the recently released remastered 96 KHz version. The high res download is fantastic!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    Rob, have you personally heard the new MQA/Tidal tracks?
    I don't currently have Tidal, but I'll probably try it this week just to check out some of the MQA stuff. If I hear the kind of differences you all are describing, I will continue to be skeptical of MQA, for the reason I alrready posted. That wouldn't necessarily stop me from listening to Tidal using MQA, but it would definitely keep me from buying anything MQA encoded.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;

I don't currently have Tidal, but I'll probably try it this week just to check out some of the MQA stuff. If I hear the kind of differences you all are describing, I will continue to be skeptical of MQA, for the reason I alrready posted. That wouldn't necessarily stop me from listening to Tidal using MQA, but it would definitely keep me from buying anything MQA encoded.
    Rob, it will be interesting to hear what you think after a listen. If it sounded as good as any digital that you ever heard and a LOT like vinyl listening, why would you still be skeptical???

A really good way to test the validity of MQA being "closer to the master" would be to use recordings from something like Blue Coast Records or Soundkeeper (Barry Diament's label), because those companies are specific about 1) giving you exact digital copies of the master recordings, and 2) telling you what equipment they use, thereby allowing the listener to use the exact same model DAC in his/her own system. According to MQA's hype, the MQA file played through almost any MQA-DAC should then sound "identical" to the hi-res file playing through the DAC the record label used. FWIW, I don't see Blue Coast or Soundkeeper having anything to do with MQA, but we'll see.
    Rob

Rob, it will be interesting to hear what you think after a listen. If it sounded as good as any digital that you ever heard and a LOT like vinyl listening, why would you still be skeptical???
    See above post. If MQA can't pass that "test", you are essentially just getting another remastering of whatever album you choose, using Meridian's choice of remastering tools.
    Rob

Rob, I could care less if it sounds "like the Master" maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, who cares? What I care about is enjoying listening to music. I happen to love listening to music via vinyl, but even love Tidal and it's selection and ease of use more so. Now with Tidal/MQA that definitely, TO ME, sounds a LOT like vinyl, it's nirvana, again FOR ME, other than now it's the waiting game until there is an abundant supply of music on Tidal that has been MQA'd.

If you want to argue the point of MQA sounding more like the original master, then that's a different argument and I for one have no interest in that debate or discussion, I will be too busy listening to Tidal streaming MQA titles.....that sound like vinyl, again to me.

All of the audio boards are filling up with praise for MQA. The first album people hear and suddenly they are hooked. It must be the digital equivalent of crack cocaine. Maybe Rob is onto something with MQA being some sort of DSP manipulation. Hard to believe another digital format that is lossy is somehow superior to a true hi-rez file. MQA is the Swiss Army Knife of digital. It even has hospital corners on the information that it's tucking in. It fixes the flaws in the original A/D converters used to make the recording, it compresses the file, and it has a light that lights up on the Meridian DACs to let you know your file has been authenticated by the original recording engineers even if they are dead. And, it's making people rant and rave. Must be something to it.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    All of the audio boards are filling up with praise for MQA. The first album people here and suddenly they are hooked. It must be the digital equivalent of crack cocaine. Maybe Rob is onto something with MQA being some sort of DSP manipulation. Hard to believe another digital format that is lossy is somehow superior to a true hi-rez file. MQA is the Swiss Army Knife of digital. It even has hospital corners on the information that it's tucking in. It fixes the flaws in the original A/D converters used to make the recording, it compresses the file, and it has a light that lights up on the Meridian DACs to let you know your file has been authenticated by the original recording engineers even if they are dead. And, it's making people rant and rave. Must be something to it.
    Mark, my suggestion is that you hear it for yourself and see what you think.

Super Moderator

The more choices we have the better. To borrow a phrase, Enjoy the music!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Rob, I could care less if it sounds "like the Master" maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, who cares? What I care about is enjoying listening to music. I happen to love listening to music via vinyl, but even love Tidal and it's selection and ease of use more so. Now with Tidal/MQA that definitely, TO ME, sounds a LOT like vinyl, it's nirvana, again FOR ME, other than now it's the waiting game until there is an abundant supply of music on Tidal that has been MQA'd.

If you want to argue the point of MQA sounding more like the original master, then that's a different argument and I for one have no interest in that debate or discussion, I will be too busy listening to Tidal streaming MQA titles.....that sound like vinyl, again to me.
    Well,thereissomethingweirdabouthowIcanrespondtopos tsherethepastfewdays.
    Anyway, I'm not interested in buying a DSP processed file that needs a special DAC to play it. Might as well buy a bsg qol to do my own processing in that case, and not be restricted to MQA titles. If I like Tidal and decide to continue paying them (which I might do just to support the idea of high-quality streaming audio), then taking advantage of MQA where it is offered (which doesn't cost me anything) makes sense.
    Rob

Mark, my suggestion is that you hear it for yourself and see what you think.
    Bob-The idea of paying money to an all you can stand to hear digital streaming service goes against my grain, but because of all the wild hype, I just might sign up and hear what all the fuss is about. It's still not clear to me how you can play back an MQA file in all of its glory if you don't have an MQA DAC.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Super Moderator

Mark,

At least you can hear it in most of its glory, like I do. If it gets better with an MQA DAC, oh boy, I can't wait!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Bob-The idea of paying money to an all you can stand to hear digital streaming service goes against my grain, but because of all the wild hype, I just might sign up and hear what all the fuss is about. It's still not clear to me how you can play back an MQA file in all of its glory if you don't have an MQA DAC.
    Tidal has integrated software decoding into their desktop app, which you MUST use for playback. TBD if you're going to hear MQA in all of its glory, but it's certainly a step up from the Redbook.

Quote Originally Posted by audiophil View Post
    Tidal has integrated software decoding into their desktop app, which you MUST use for playback. TBD if you're going to hear MQA in all of its glory, but it's certainly a step up from the Redbook.
    And that's my point. Color me confused on what you guys are really hearing without having a DAC capable of decoding MQA.

And that's my point. Color me confused on what you guys are really hearing without having a DAC capable of decoding MQA.
    Software decoding that assumes you are using a generic DAC. Still improves the music but you are not getting all of the potential benefits.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

I'm suprised how much better the SQ is than CD quality. I wish Tidal had a remote app to control the Desktop App. The Cars album is wonderful.

I've been trying out Tidal because of the Masters announcement. 60 days free trial that one can cancel anytime is an easy thing to try. As i do not have an MQA dac, i'm getting 24/192 through USB from my mac to CH C1 dac. Agree with Joe and Bob that it sounds good even without the mqa dac icing on the cake. IMO, for a free trial or even for the $20 monthly fee, it's worth giving it a shot if you have a dac.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mogulman View Post
    I'm suprised how much better the SQ is than CD quality. I wish Tidal had a remote app to control the Desktop App. The Cars album is wonderful.
    Wholeheartedly agree - I really wish there was a remote app, but for now I'm OK getting up every so often to put on a new album. I do it with records...

That gives me an idea - an app to flip your vinyl records :genius:

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Digital: LH Labs Source (someday...) + LH Labs Geek Pulse SFi
    Analogue: Audio Technica OC9ML/ii + Technics 1200SL + Nikko Beta 40 (phono only)
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE
    First Watt F6
    Focal 816VW Special Edition

Super Moderator

I am using a headless Mac Mini as my Roon core/server and a MacBook Pro laptop using screen sharing to remote into the Mac Mini. It's a little cumbersome but works great.
    Last edited by joeinid; January 9, 2017 at 07:44 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Okey-dokey.....four days in with listening to and thinking about Tidal/MQA.

For the first few days I was amazed at the sound of the MQA files but I felt totally constricted even with 500 albums available on Masters/Tidal to play. LOTS of great albums in those 500 albums but actually not one of the maybe current 50 albums that I regularly listen to. I was in a happy dilemma.

By today I realized that no matter what MQA album I put on, I could just sit and listen to it and enjoy the heck out of it, even if I never would play this album.....it just sounded so engaging.

This is TOTALLY personal and nothing to do with what all this is about, BUT it's become clear to me. DSD and native DSD and High Rez PCM, again for me, made 16/44.1 so much better in most cases. Good SACD the same. They all made digital better.

What I am experiencing with MQA streaming is a completely different situation. As much as high rez made digital better, MQA has gone down a different path. It's doing something different than even the best native dsd or high rez pcm does. Not saying better, although I could say that as well, but definitely a different twist on the equation.

"Whatever" intrinsic quality vinyl has over digital, I know, that is a vast generalization, BUT, whatever this special quality is.....MQA shares this same intrinsic characteristic. It is not better bass, or better soundstaging or more real or dynamic or more holographic. It is a vinyl type listening experience.....also with no vinyl surface noise. Good vinyl delivers a presentation of the music that just seems right to my ears. Honestly I can't put into words what that "special quality" that vinyl has BUT I know that MQA shares this same quality......again, this is just what I am experiencing in my situation and not saying this is the way it would be for someone else in their system/room etc.

Now I don't even care when they add more MQA Tidal albums, I can spend months exploring the 500 albums on the Masters list now. There is a lot of very familiar stuff on their now and a lot of things that I would not normally choose to listen to but I know that I will be able to sort of pick any album, hit play and sit there with a great big grin on my face.

Btw, definitely not saying the MQA is as good as good vinyl, it's probably not. BUT it has that same "feels right" feeling you get from vinyl that allows me to enjoy music and become as involved in the experience as I do from good vinyl. That is a different experience for me than listening to DSD or HRPCM. They're great, this is different.

Off to the Alabama/Clemson game....should be a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    I've been trying out Tidal because of the Masters announcement. 60 days free trial that one can cancel anytime is an easy thing to try. As i do not have an MQA dac, i'm getting 24/192 through USB from my mac to CH C1 dac. Agree with Joe and Bob that it sounds good even without the mqa dac icing on the cake. IMO, for a free trial or even for the $20 monthly fee, it's worth giving it a shot if you have a dac.

How does this work?? 24/96 is supposed to be the best you can do without a MQA-capable DAC, and the only free trial I can find is for 30 days?
    Rob

How does this work?? 24/96 is supposed to be the best you can do without a MQA-capable DAC, and the only free trial I can find is for 30 days?
    Go to Tidal.com
    Scroll down to tidal masters, click on "learn more"
    Then scroll down and you'll see two options, new users - experience 60 complimentary days of tidal hifi - click on "sign up to tidal" (follow the sign up process) then download the desktop pc/mac app.

On the app's "settings" tab, click on the "streaming" menu and make sure your quality option is set to hifi/master (not normal or high)
    And below this, Under sound output, look for your dac and select it.

Rob - Regarding the trial period, if you go to Tidal Masters announcement page they have a link to their 60 day free trial for new users. I'm not certain regarding the maximum sampling rate provided if you don't have an MQA DAC, but you can benefit from some of the MQA improvements if you use the Tidal desktop app set to Exclusive mode feeding another non-MQA USB DAC. Hope this helps!

Rob,
    Yes, you are correct. I am actually getting 24/96 not 192.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I'd like to take advantage of MQA for the easiest and least expensive way. What do you guys plan to do or not do regarding MQA?

Save me from doing something rash
    Joe, I'm quite sure in the end it will for most everyone here. They just do not necessarily know it yet. So, does the introduction of MQA change/alter your plans going forward?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Once your DAC is upgraded, the Aurender will handle MQA. Aurender is on board with MQA. We are hoping the Aurender software which can handle MQA will be released this month. The beta version is rocking and rolling, so now it's just a short wait.
    Mike...please keep us posted on this front. Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by La Dolce Vita View Post
    Mike...please keep us posted on this front. Can't wait!

Please clarify, as you can stream MQA/Tidal through Aurender now. You don't need an upgraded DAC to stream Tidal/MQA through any of the Aurenders right now.

Please clarify, as you can stream MQA/Tidal through Aurender now. You don't need an upgraded DAC to stream Tidal/MQA through any of the Aurenders right now.
    Bob, my understanding is that at this moment to play MQA files via TIDAL through a dac like the Brooklyn that decodes them one must use the TIDAL desktop app. Obviously this will change and hopefully very quickly to support decoding MQA decoding playback with Aurender.

I have no interest in MQA (or DSD). Recently I bought a Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC. I have no membership on Tidal or any streaming service. All my music are CDs I have ripped myself.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Bob, my understanding is that at this moment to play MQA files via TIDAL through a dac like the Brooklyn that decodes them one must use the TIDAL desktop app. Obviously this will change and hopefully very quickly to support decoding MQA decoding playback with Aurender.

Oh, ok. Not sure I totally follow as I am passing the MQA files using my Aurender to my MSB DAC. The MSB does not have the MQA module yet (on it's way), but it still plays the Tidal MQA decoded (SW Decoding) through the MSB. I would think that if you had a Brooklyn and fed it the MQA file through the Aurdender now it would work fine.

The Aurender does not have any designation that it is an MQA file but if you save the files to Favorites on the desktop Tidal app and then update the Aurender the files are in your Aurender Tidal app and when you play them they ARE MQA decoded. So I would think that if you played them through the Aurender now to the Brooklyn or any DAC that had the MQA HW decoder they would play.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordante View Post
    I have no interest in MQA (or DSD). Recently I bought a Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC. I have no membership on Tidal or any streaming service. All my music are CDs I have ripped myself.
    Congrats! Sounds like you are all set.....enjoy!

Oh, ok. Not sure I totally follow as I am passing the MQA files using my Aurender to my MSB DAC. The MSB does not have the MQA module yet (on it's way), but it still plays the Tidal MQA decoded (SW Decoding) through the MSB. I would think that if you had a Brooklyn and fed it the MQA file through the Aurdender now it would work fine.

The Aurender does not have any designation that it is an MQA file but if you save the files to Favorites on the desktop Tidal app and then update the Aurender the files are in your Aurender Tidal app and when you play them they ARE MQA decoded. So I would think that if you played them through the Aurender now to the Brooklyn or any DAC that had the MQA HW decoder they would play.
    Honestly I need to try this! Thank you very much for this information

[QUOTE=La Dolce Vita;190475]Honestly I need to try this! Thank you very much for this information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Aurender will have the MQA designation etc. soon probably, but it works now, other than being cumbersome. You have to favorite the albums on the desktop but then you have to completely get out of the Aurender app to get it to update your favorites. Once the favorites are updated on the Aurender app, even though they don't say MQA, if you play them they are MQA ready.

[QUOTE=Rhapsody;190476]
    Honestly I need to try this! Thank you very much for this information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Aurender will have the MQA designation etc. soon probably, but it works now, other than being cumbersome. You have to favorite the albums on the desktop but then you have to completely get out of the Aurender app to get it to update your favorites. Once the favorites are updated on the Aurender app, even though they don't say MQA, if you play them they are MQA ready.
    Now I understand...awesome

[QUOTE=La Dolce Vita;190477]

Now I understand...awesome

It will be interesting to see if they play through the Brooklyn Dac, I have only played them through MSB and Goldmund non MQA dacs so they are using the SW decoding in Tidal. Very interesting to know the difference of the HW vs SW decoding and it seems at the moment you have everything to find out, please do tell

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

So, does the introduction of MQA change/alter your plans going forward?