Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: So, does the introduction of MQA change/alter your plans going forward?

[QUOTE=Rhapsody;190478]
    Quote Originally Posted by La Dolce Vita View Post

It will be interesting to see if they play through the Brooklyn Dac, I have only played them through MSB and Goldmund non MQA dacs so they are using the SW decoding in Tidal. Very interesting to know the difference of the HW vs SW decoding and it seems at the moment you have everything to find out, please do tell
    Absolutely. As I'd mentioned in order to get the MQA decoding to work with the Brooklyn I had to enable "exclusive mode" on the TIDAL desktop app. I guess my question is this "is Aurender software exclusive mode compatible/compliant?" Need to try it and see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=La Dolce Vita;190479]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post

Absolutely. As I'd mentioned in order to get the MQA decoding to work with the Brooklyn I had to enable "exclusive mode" on the TIDAL desktop app. I guess my question is this "is Aurender software exclusive mode compatible/compliant?" Need to try it and see.

I don't have the exclusive mode checked when using the Aurender because I don't have a usb output selected. All I am doing is selecting favorites in the desktop Tidal app. To use the Aurender I am pretty sure that you would NOT select the Exclusive mode.

[QUOTE=Rhapsody;190481]
    Quote Originally Posted by La Dolce Vita View Post

I don't have the exclusive mode checked when using the Aurender because I don't have a usb output selected. All I am doing is selecting favorites in the desktop Tidal app. To use the Aurender I am pretty sure that you would NOT select the Exclusive mode.
    I'm just saying while the MQA files would play through the MQA indicator on the dac would not illuminate and no signal detected until I checked the exclusive mode. I was not aware of this mode and was informed to select it by TIDAL support. Then the MQA signal was received and full decoding took place.

[QUOTE=La Dolce Vita;190482]

I'm just saying while the MQA files would play through the MQA indicator on the dac would not illuminate and no signal detected until I checked the exclusive mode. I was not aware of this mode and was informed to select it by TIDAL support. Then the MQA signal was received and full decoding took place.

Interesting, now you can tell us if the exclusive mode box needs to be checked to play through the Aurender when you try it. It will work one of the two ways, you will be able to tell us which.

Please clarify, as you can stream MQA/Tidal through Aurender now. You don't need an upgraded DAC to stream Tidal/MQA through any of the Aurenders right now.
    with an MQA-compatible DAC MQA files can be decoded at their maximum rate, which depending on the file could be as high as 384/32! So, without an MQA-compatible DAC the best you can get is 96/24 and that is what people are getting with a non-MQA dac. So without a MQA DAC your not hearing all the analog like (its what I think I hear ) goodness that is there on some albums.

"" The selection box where you can turn on "Use Exclusive Mode." The final box to check or not check is the "Passthrough MQA." When it is clicked and turns blue you are sending an unconverted MQA stream to your MQA-compatible DAC. When it is unchecked then the Tidal App will do the MQA conversion and send either an 88.1/24 or 96/24 stream to your non-MQA DAC. ""
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    with an MQA-compatible DAC MQA files can be decoded at their maximum rate, which depending on the file could be as high as 384/32! So, without an MQA-compatible DAC the best you can get is 96/24 and that is what people are getting with a non-MQA dac. So without a MQA DAC your not hearing all the analog like (its what I think I hear ) goodness that is there on some albums.

"" The selection box where you can turn on "Use Exclusive Mode." The final box to check or not check is the "Passthrough MQA." When it is clicked and turns blue you are sending an unconverted MQA stream to your MQA-compatible DAC. When it is unchecked then the Tidal App will do the MQA conversion and send either an 88.1/24 or 96/24 stream to your non-MQA DAC. ""
    Chris, you DOGET a vinyl type sound (to me) from just the 24/48 mqa Tidal decoded files. I'm sure it's much better with the hardware which I will find out shortly but even with the tidal software mqa you definitely get an analog type sound.

What I have been asking right along.... I have to belief that comparing the CD quality Tidal streams versus the MQA Tidal streams, the improvements should be there and worthy for those who enjoy streaming through Tidal.

However the question I have been asking is MQA versus high res downloads for those of us that are not into streaming. The reason I ask this is I have read and heard for a while now that in essence MQA is a transport system to allow high res PCM files to be streamed without the bandwidth over head that those high res files would normally incur.

Here is a quote of a users who has done precisely this comparison from another forum:
    "I have been playing a bit with my Chord Hugo and Meridian Explorer 2 DAC's, with a normal PCM high res file the Chord is way better, with a downloaded MQA file the performance of the two DAC's get's closer. (but still prefer the Chord)."

Then I read Rapsody's comments about MQA sounding more analog. This aspect would be interesting to me. I also read in several forums that eventual software decoding will help and certainly will allow streaming of high res files to sound better, but to get the real advantage in download use of a MQA certified DAC would be required.

So far these are either far too expensive and out of the reach for 99.9% of the market (Meridian high end units, etc.), or do not allow for top use with other formats (Brooklyn, Explorer 2, etc.). I firmly believe what is needed for MQA to have a true market impact, after the initial hype and market buzz that is currently going on, is for the release of an add on unit allowing for MQA to be added to our current DACs without having to replace our units. Most people, such as myself, cannot either afford to purchase an ultra expensive unit or are willing to compromise our listening to other digital files we already have purchased (over 250 albums for me personally).

An add on unit allowing for our current DACs to continue being used with our current files and the add on to be engaged when a MQA file is detected. This is how MQA will have a true chance of having long term market impact in my opinion.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    What I have been asking right along.... I have to belief that comparing the CD quality Tidal streams versus the MQA Tidal streams, the improvements should be there and worthy for those who enjoy streaming through Tidal.

However the question I have been asking is MQA versus high res downloads for those of us that are not into streaming. The reason I ask this is I have read and heard for a while now that in essence MQA is a transport system to allow high res PCM files to be streamed without the bandwidth over head that those high res files would normally incur.

Here is a quote of a users who has done precisely this comparison from another forum:
    "I have been playing a bit with my Chord Hugo and Meridian Explorer 2 DAC's, with a normal PCM high res file the Chord is way better, with a downloaded MQA file the performance of the two DAC's get's closer. (but still prefer the Chord)."

Then I read Rapsody's comments about MQA sounding more analog. This aspect would be interesting to me. I also read in several forums that eventual software decoding will help and certainly will allow streaming of high res files to sound better, but to get the real advantage in download use of a MQA certified DAC would be required.

So far these are either far too expensive and out of the reach for 99.9% of the market (Meridian high end units, etc.), or do not allow for top use with other formats (Brooklyn, Explorer 2, etc.). I firmly believe what is needed for MQA to have a true market impact, after the initial hype and market buzz that is currently going on, is for the release of an add on unit allowing for MQA to be added to our current DACs without having to replace our units. Most people, such as myself, cannot either afford to purchase an ultra expensive unit or are willing to compromise our listening to other digital files we already have purchased (over 250 albums for me personally).

An add on unit allowing for our current DACs to continue being used with our current files and the add on to be engaged when a MQA file is detected. This is how MQA will have a true chance of having long term market impact in my opinion.
    I tell ya the only way to know is try it and compare. I know that my DSD copies and vinyl sound better on some albums than full blown MQA that is streamed from Tidal, but at times I just don't want to bother with a TT or my PC, hence my liking Streaming. Myhopes is that MQA becomes a software solution in either Roon or Tidal and via Lumin and Aurender and other network and music players and DACs. Why reinvent the DAC, just sell the license to use. The same stuff happened with Dolby and DTS and its now residing on every video player and AVR out there. Software is the answer not a new DAC of the month.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Chris, you DOGET a vinyl type sound (to me) from just the 24/48 mqa Tidal decoded files. I'm sure it's much better with the hardware which I will find out shortly but even with the tidal software mqa you definitely get an analog type sound.
    Are you PLAYING MQA files via the Tidal desktop app, or are you simply using the app to favorite the albums so that they can be located in the Aurender app and played via the Aurender transport? Because here's the thing...

Played from Aurender + MQA DAC = MQA decoding (GOOD!)

***Requires "Exclusive Mode" to be selected
    Played from Tidal desktop app + passthrough + MQA DAC = MQA decoding (GOOD!)
    Played from Tidal desktop app + software decoding (no passthrough) + DAC (doesn't matter what kind) = MQA decoding (GOOD!)

Played from Aurender + non-MQA DAC = MQA file, but no decoding (BAD!)

Selecting "Exclusive Mode" or "Passthrough MQA" in the Tidal app will have no impact on the decoding if you are using Aurender for playback.

The same applies to ROON in it's current build. It will pass the 24/44.1 or 24/48 file bit perfect to the DAC, but without software decoding you aren't getting any benefit (and you may actually get worse sound quality, as reported by a friend of mine using ROON).

For those using Lumin - your experience is the same as mine when I try to send a Master album (favorited in the desktop app) to my Chromecast via BubbleUPnP - Tidal substitues the Redbook version for the MQA encoded file (16/44.1).

There still seems to be a ton of confusion as to exactly how to extract MQA, and I fear a great deal of placebo effect from users who THINK they're getting the MQA experience, but are actually not. I KNOW I'm getting MQA, and in my system in my room it sounds damn fine.

Quote Originally Posted by audiophil View Post
    Are you PLAYING MQA files via the Tidal desktop app, or are you simply using the app to favorite the albums so that they can be located in the Aurender app and played via the Aurender transport? Because here's the thing...

Played from Tidal desktop app + software decoding (no passthrough) + DAC (doesn't matter what kind) = MQA decoding (GOOD!)

Selecting "Exclusive Mode" or "Passthrough MQA" in the Tidal app will have no impact on the decoding if you are using Aurender for playback.

The same applies to ROON in it's current build. It will pass the 24/44.1 or 24/48 file bit perfect to the DAC, but without software decoding you aren't getting any benefit (and you may actually get worse sound quality, as reported by a friend of mine using ROON).

For those using Lumin - your experience is the same as mine when I try to send a Master album (favorited in the desktop app) to my Chromecast via BubbleUPnP - Tidal substitues the Redbook version for the MQA encoded file (16/44.1).

There still seems to be a ton of confusion as to exactly how to extract MQA, and I fear a great deal of placebo effect from users who THINK they're getting the MQA experience, but are actually not. I KNOW I'm getting MQA, and in my system in my room it sounds damn fine.

Lumin cannot do MQA at this time. With the Tidal app on a Lumin, you will not see the Masters all you get is hi-fi if your paying for it. Aurender A10 is a MQA certified component.

I firmly believe what is needed for MQA to have a true market impact, after the initial hype and market buzz that is currently going on, is for the release of an add on unit allowing for MQA to be added to our current DACs without having to replace our units. Most people, such as myself, cannot either afford to purchase an ultra expensive unit or are willing to compromise our listening to other digital files we already have purchased (over 250 albums for me personally).

MQA hardware decoding takes into account specific attributes of the DAC being used, hence unless they change that requirement of MQA such a universal add-on box to be used with any DAC is not a viable possibility. Of course as the saying goes, never say never.

Here is what I am doing. I am going to the Tidal app and favoriting the albums that I want to play. Then I am going to the Aurender app and closing it down and then bringing it up again. It now has the Masters favorites that I just selected on the Tidal app desktop. I then play that file and btw, there is nothing in the Aurender app that shows you at this time, it's coming, that the file is mqa sw decoded. Then if you look at the display, in my case the MSB non MQA dac (mqa module arriving soon) it shows 24/48. There is sw decoding going on or the dac would not show this and not sound the way it does. It sounds like vinyl....seriously.

Nothing is selected in the desktop dac (exclusive mode etc) because I am NOT playing to an device connected to the pc.

Have you tried this or are you going by "what you think"?

Randy, why not just get a 60 day trial to Tidal and use the desktop app, which will give you Tidal streaming sw MQA decoded to your existing dac. Then you could hear what the sw mqa decoding does. Personally I would happy with just the sw decoding but that is before I've heard, which I have not yet, the hw dac mqa decoding. But the sw mqa decoding that Tidal does in the app is pretty darn pleasing.

Super Moderator

EXACTLY,

I already experience an improvement. An MQA capable dac will be icing on the cake. Bring it on.

Randy, why not just get a 60 day trial to Tidal and use the desktop app, which will give you Tidal streaming sw MQA decoded to your existing dac. Then you could hear what the sw mqa decoding does. Personally I would happy with just the sw decoding but that is before I've heard, which I have not yet, the hw dac mqa decoding. But the sw mqa decoding that Tidal does in the app is pretty darn pleasing.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Here is what I am doing. I am going to the Tidal app and favoriting the albums that I want to play. Then I am going to the Aurender app and closing it down and then bringing it up again. It now has the Masters favorites that I just selected on the Tidal app desktop. I then play that file and btw, there is nothing in the Aurender app that shows you at this time, it's coming, that the file is mqa sw decoded. Then if you look at the display, in my case the MSB non MQA dac (mqa module arriving soon) it shows 24/48. There is sw decoding going on or the dac would not show this and not sound the way it does. It sounds like vinyl....seriously.

Nothing is selected in the desktop dac (exclusive mode etc) because I am NOT playing to an device connected to the pc.

Have you tried this or are you going by "what you think"?
    This is exactly what I alluded to in my previous post...you're sending the MQA file to your DAC, but there's no decoding going on. Aurender doesn't decode, nor does your DAC. I'm not disputing what you say you are hearing - I'm not there and I obviously don't have your ears - I'm simply trying to underscore what is OBJECTIVELY happening in your playback chain.

And you might say "Wait - how could the file even play if I'm not doing any decoding???"

Don't forget that MQA is backward compatible with non-MQA DACs. If you were decoding, you'd be playing back at 88.2 or 96k sample rate. Every Master file I've played back so far has been at one of the two sample rates. If you're playing a Master file and only getting 44.1 or 48k, you're not decoding MQA. If you're not playing directly from the Tidal app, unless you have an MQA DAC, you're not getting MQA.

Let me answer your last question by posing one of my own - have you tried connecting your computer directly to your DAC and playing from the desktop app? Sound quality aside, have you tried to see if you can get higher sample rates using the playback chain I've described?

This is exactly what I alluded to in my previous post...you're sending the MQA file to your DAC, but there's no decoding going on. Aurender doesn't decode, nor does your DAC. I'm not disputing what you say you are hearing - I'm not there and I obviously don't have your ears - I'm simply trying to underscore what is OBJECTIVELY happening in your playback chain.

And you might say "Wait - how could the file even play if I'm not doing any decoding???"

Don't forget that MQA is backward compatible with non-MQA DACs. If you were decoding, you'd be playing back at 88.2 or 96k sample rate. Every Master file I've played back so far has been at one of the two sample rates. If you're playing a Master file and only getting 44.1 or 48k, you're not decoding MQA. If you're not playing directly from the Tidal app, unless you have an MQA DAC, you're not getting MQA.

Let me answer your last question by posing one of my own - have you tried connecting your computer directly to your DAC and playing from the desktop app? Sound quality aside, have you tried to see if you can get higher sample rates using the playback chain I've described?
    Interesting. If you are 100% sure that if the file when played from the Masters list/mqa sw on Tidal decoding and then fav'd on the Aurender and played through the dac, which show 24/48 and it only shows 16/44.1 for the same non mqa/masters album is not mqa, then what exactly has bumped it from 16/44.1 to 24/48?

I will connect my laptop directly to the dac and see what the dac shows and what I hear.

Love all this....something exciting!!!

Maybe it helps to frame things in a different manner - here's a poll:

If you are playing Tidal Masters using something OTHER than the desktop app, please explain your setup and where exactly the MQA decoding (software or hardware) is taking place.

Interesting. If you are 100% sure that if the file when played from the Masters list/mqa sw on Tidal decoding and then fav'd on the Aurender and played through the dac, which show 24/48 and it only shows 16/44.1 for the same non mqa/masters album is not mqa, then what exactly has bumped it from 16/44.1 to 24/48?

I will connect my laptop directly to the dac and see what the dac shows and what I hear.

The difference between the 16/44.1 file and the 24/48 file is the 24/48 file is MQA - and nobody is disputing Aurender (or ROON) ability to PASS the file to the DAC.

What is missing from your playback chain is the DECODING of the MQA-specific information that allows for, at bare minimum, playback of the file at it's full bit-depth and sample rate (typically 96k for files encoded at 48k). Does that make sense?

I am 99.999999% confident that when you connect your laptop directly to the DAC and enable playback with "Exclusive Mode" selected and "Passthrough MQA" DEselected, you're going to get a higer bitrate (and hopefully even better sound quality - but that's subjective).

FWIW - if you were to leave "Passthrough MQA" selected, you'd essentially get the same result as you would using your Aurender. The MQA file would be sent to the DAC undecoded, with the assumption you have an MQA compatible DAC.

Super Moderator

I absolutely love and appreciate everyone's feedback, help, tips/tricks and opinion regarding all this MQA stuff. I know it helps those who are either still on the fence or are slowly dipping their toes in this new technology. I wish Tidal and the MQA association had concurrently put out a press release of bullet points regarding what to expect and how to get the most out of the new MQA files.

Keep it up guys. I am enjoying my bump in sound quality and can not wait for a full on hardware solution.

Thank you!!!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

The difference between the 16/44.1 file and the 24/48 file is the 24/48 file is MQA - and nobody is disputing Aurender (or ROON) ability to PASS the file to the DAC.

What is missing from your playback chain is the DECODING of the MQA-specific information that allows for, at bare minimum, playback of the file at it's full bit-depth and sample rate (typically 96k for files encoded at 48k). Does that make sense?

I am 99.999999% confident that when you connect your laptop directly to the DAC and enable playback with "Exclusive Mode" selected and "Passthrough MQA" DEselected, you're going to get a higer bitrate (and hopefully even better sound quality - but that's subjective).

FWIW - if you were to leave "Passthrough MQA" selected, you'd essentially get the same result as you would using your Aurender. The MQA file would be sent to the DAC undecoded, with the assumption you have an MQA compatible DAC.
    So which Aurender are you using ? and what DAC do you have it connected to. The A10 is the only MQA component they have that is certified that I know of. Are you saying the Aurender software is doing full MQA or are you only getting the non-MQA DAC 24/96 MQA music file which still sounds better than some non MQA files..

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I absolutely love and appreciate everyone's feedback, help, tips/tricks and opinion regarding all this MQA stuff. I know it helps those who are either still on the fence or are slowly dipping their toes in this new technology. I wish Tidal and the MQA association had concurrently put out a press release of bullet points regarding what to expect and how to get the most out of the new MQA files.

Keep it up guys. I am enjoying my bump in sound quality and can not wait for a full on hardware solution.

Thank you!!!
    Joe - I agree, and think Tidal (and MQA) could have done a better job explaining the different scenarios people could encounter and exactly what they are getting.

I think one of the biggest sources of confusion is that Tidal Masters are, on the surface "hi-rez" files. That, combined with the fact that even if someone bypasses software decoding they are able to get playback on a non MQA DAC is leading many to believe that they are experiencing MQA, when in reality they are not. There would be ZERO confusion (I think) if, when someone attempted to play MQA on a non-MQA DAC without going through software decoding (a la Tidal Desktop) they got an error message or distortion.

Think of it this way - if you try to play DSD on a non-DSD DAC without first transcoding to PCM, you're either going to get distortion or nothing at all. It's black and white, while MQA has 50 shades of grey...er, 48 shades, or is it 96 shades, or...

Joe - I agree, and think Tidal (and MQA) could have done a better job explaining the different scenarios people could encounter and exactly what they are getting.

I think one of the biggest sources of confusion is that Tidal Masters are, on the surface "hi-rez" files. That, combined with the fact that even if someone bypasses software decoding they are able to get playback on a non MQA DAC is leading many to believe that they are experiencing MQA, when in reality they are not. There would be ZERO confusion (I think) if, when someone attempted to play MQA on a non-MQA DAC without going through software decoding (a la Tidal Desktop) they got an error message or distortion.

Think of it this way - if you try to play DSD on a non-DSD DAC without first transcoding to PCM, you're either going to get distortion or nothing at all. It's black and white, while MQA has 50 shades of grey...er, 48 shades, or is it 96 shades, or...
    You need to read this.

So which Aurender are you using ? and what DAC do you have it connected to. The A10 is the only MQA component they have that is certified that I know of. Are you saying the Aurender software is doing full MQA or are you only getting the non-MQA DAC 24/96 MQA music file which still sounds better than some non MQA files..
    I'm not using an Aurender - I have my laptop connected directly to my DAC. I use a Light Harmonic/LH Labs Geek Pulse Sfi.

The A10 is a server/DAC, so I assume it would perform hardware decoding of the MQA data.

What I'm saying is that, AFAIK, Aurender software does not DECODE MQA data, it will simply pass the MQA file downstream for something else (your DAC) to decode. If your DAC is not MQA-compatible, you get no MQA benefits. No different than playing any other 24/48 file. If it IS compatible, you are hardware decoding, and end up with a higher bitrate + all of the other MQA benefits that have been outlined in other places.

My playback chain looks like this: Laptop running Tidal Desktop > Exclusive Mode > USB > Geek Pulse Sfi > W4S STP-SE > First Watt F6 > Focal 816W

***Edit - Chris (CPP), I think you may be confusing me with Rhapsody (name?)
    Last edited by audiophil; January 10, 2017 at 12:30 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    MQA hardware decoding takes into account specific attributes of the DAC being used, hence unless they change that requirement of MQA such a universal add-on box to be used with any DAC is not a viable possibility. Of course as the saying goes, never say never.
    In my thoughts the MQA decoder would go inline after the current DAC... in theory the MQA elements would/could be passed through untouched and be picked up by the MQA add on unit and pick up the work from there.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Not quite true. There are some MQA files. (i.e. Richard Hawley's Hollow Moon) that are 24/44. That is what is displayed with MQA in the display. Now my DAC upsamples those before playing but my display show what the original file was.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

In my thoughts the MQA decoder would go inline after the current DAC... in theory the MQA elements would/could be passed through untouched and be picked up by the MQA add on unit and pick up the work from there.
    This would require an add'l ADA stage - otherwise how would the corrections (including time domain) be accomplished? How would the MQA data be passed to the decoder AFTER DA conversion?

If anything, a standalone MQA decoder would have to be in the digital domain and be inserted between your playback software and the DAC. You're just moving the decoding from the playback software, and you're not going to get the same benefits as it being a part of the DAC hardware.

I was surprised at RMAF when I was corrected by the MQA rep that a unfolded MQA file can be passed digitally to a DAC.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Not quite true. There are some MQA files. (i.e. Richard Hawley's Hollow Moon) that are 24/44. That is what is displayed with MQA in the display. Now my DAC upsamples those before playing but my display show what the original file was.
    Very interesting - I'm going to favorite this one right now and test it out when I get home. It would be the first I've seen that didn't move to a higher sample rate when decoded.

So much to explore!

***Edit - I think you mean Hollow Meadows

Hi Phil, funny but when I connect my pc to my msb dac and connect with a usb cable I can't get the tidal app to recognize the msb. I'm messing with it, but it will play the files from the desktop and it shows 16/44.1.

I understand that 24/48 is not the optimum, but it's pretty darn good, when passing through the Aurdender....actually very, very good.

I will get the pc to work with the tidal desktop app....back to it.

Phil, I still think that playing the file through the Aurender that shows 24/48 on the dac has been SW encoded in the Tidal app and you ARE getting a MQA file, just not the same as if a MQA dac will decode it in hw.

I was surprised at RMAF when I was corrected by the MQA rep that a unfolded MQA file can be passed digitally to a DAC.
    I think you mean a folded​ MQA file - in my mind unfolded = larger = decoded.

Hi Phil, funny but when I connect my pc to my msb dac and connect with a usb cable I can't get the tidal app to recognize the msb. I'm messing with it, but it will play the files from the desktop and it shows 16/44.1.

I understand that 24/48 is not the optimum, but it's pretty darn good, when passing through the Aurdender....actually very, very good.

I will get the pc to work with the tidal desktop app....back to it.
    Funny you mentioned that - I had similar issues with the latest update to Tidal. Try this - plug in your MSB via USB. Open up the Tidal app and go to the settings page. You'll probably get where you are now - "No playback devices available." With it open, try plugging in another USB device into your computer. I had a little Fiio headphone dac/amp lying around, but something like a thumb drive might work. When I plug in the Fiio, both it and my Pulse show up as available options. If I had to guess it has something to do with the Pulse needing drivers, while the Fiio is driverless. Since I've found a workaround, I haven't reached out to Tidal for an explanation as to what is happening.

I assume you're using a Windows laptop?

Funny you mentioned that - I had similar issues with the latest update to Tidal. Try this - plug in your MSB via USB. Open up the Tidal app and go to the settings page. You'll probably get where you are now - "No playback devices available." With it open, try plugging in another USB device into your computer. I had a little Fiio headphone dac/amp lying around, but something like a thumb drive might work. When I plug in the Fiio, both it and my Pulse show up as available options. If I had to guess it has something to do with the Pulse needing drivers, while the Fiio is driverless. Since I've found a workaround, I haven't reached out to Tidal for an explanation as to what is happening.

I assume you're using a Windows laptop?
    Thx, yes Win 10 on a pc with the latest Tidal desktop version. Let me try plugging in another usb device.....thx

I hear you Randy. It's all relative I guess. I consider my Brooklyn the add on unit. It's $2K, not the $20K like my balanced Lampizator Golden Gate.

So, does the introduction of MQA change/alter your plans going forward?

Very interesting - I'm going to favorite this one right now and test it out when I get home. It would be the first I've seen that didn't move to a higher sample rate when decoded.

So much to explore!

***Edit - I think you mean Hollow Meadows
    Yes, Thanks for correcting the title. He is one of my favorite artists too.
    Jim

Phil, I still think that playing the file through the Aurender that shows 24/48 on the dac has been SW encoded in the Tidal app and you ARE getting a MQA file, just not the same as if a MQA dac will decode it in hw.
    I'm still going to hold my position that it has NOT been software decoded. When using Aurender there is no interaction with the Tidal Desktop - you've simply instructed the Aurender to pull the encoded file from the Tidal database. That file - MQA encoded - will still play back on your DAC, but without the benefits of MQA. See Jim's (still-one) post above, #77. MQA files are backward compatible, but in order to get the benefits of MQA you've got to have DECODING happen somewhere in the playback chain.

Tidal also makes this distinction in their FAQ (emphasis their own):

How can I listen to TIDAL Masters (master-quality recordings)?
    All you need is a TIDAL HiFi membership to access thousands of master-quality albums only through the TIDAL desktop application.

I think you mean a folded​ MQA file - in my mind unfolded = larger = decoded.
    No. The file has been decoded so it has been unfolded by the MQA process. Initially I thought only the only way a unfolded MQA file could be sent out was analog. They said no, which surprised me.
    Jim

No. The file has been decoded so it has been unfolded by the MQA process. Initially I thought only the only way a unfolded MQA file could be sent out was analog. The said no, which surprised me.
    Oh, I misunderstood you then - but in the process highlighted where all of this confusion is coming from.

Unfolding = decoding. So Tidal Desktop is "unfolding" the MQA file and passing it along digitally to the DAC.

Tidal can also pass along a "folded" file and, depending on the DAC it will either be unfolded prior to playback (MQA enabled DAC) or played in its "folded" form.

I sincerely feel that the fact that a DAC will play either the version of the file is what's leading to all of this ambiguity and confusion.

Thx, yes Win 10 on a pc with the latest Tidal desktop version. Let me try plugging in another usb device.....thx
    Thx Phil, but for whatever reason I can play from my Tidal desktop app on my laptop to the msb dac. The Tidal app shows master, and my computer sees the msb dac, but in the settings of the Tidal app those required pass through/exclusive boxes do not show up. It plays as a 16/44.1 file.

I tried connecting another usb device into my laptop, but the Tidal app did not see it either. I'm not going to mess with it as I will always be running through my Aurender and have a usb/mqa module coming for my MSB dac. Don't want to spend the cycles figuring out something I will never use anyway

I still believe that I am listening to a 24/48 mqa sw decoded file, which was decoded in the Tidal app and sent through the Aurender and is being picked up as an MQA'd file by the MSB. The sound is too different not to be MQA'd.....and it is VERY noticeably different.

This is all more fun than a "barrel of monkeys"

Chris, I don't think Phil (who's on first) is using an Aurender. I am using an N10. Yes, the A10, which has a dac is "supposedly" the only Aurender certified model, but that's because it has an MQA DAC. I do not believe even the A10 fully supports MQA because the Aurender app, which goes across all of the devices currently is void of ANY MQA mentioning.

My N10 that I am using says nothing about MQA, BUT, when I save the Master files on my Tidal desktop app and then update my Ipad Aurender app and can play those files, they now show up as 24/48 on my DAC.....and they sound "delicious".

Thx Phil, but for whatever reason I can play from my Tidal desktop app on my laptop to the msb dac. The Tidal app shows master, and my computer sees the msb dac, but in the settings of the Tidal app those required pass through/exclusive boxes do not show up. It plays as a 16/44.1 file.

I tried connecting another usb device into my laptop, but the Tidal app did not see it either. I'm not going to mess with it as I will always be running through my Aurender and have a usb/mqa module coming for my MSB dac. Don't want to spend the cycles figuring out something I will never use anyway

I still believe that I am listening to a 24/48 mqa sw decoded file, which was decoded in the Tidal app and sent through the Aurender and is being picked up as an MQA'd file by the MSB. The sound is too different not to be MQA'd.....and it is VERY noticeably different.

This is all more fun than a "barrel of monkeys"
    I'm sorry you're having so much trouble connecting directly to your DAC. Believe me, I struggled to find a solution. I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise, so let me leave you with an anecdote with the hope you'll do some additional exploration on your own. I have a friend who subscibes to Tidal and uses ROON. He, like you, was convinced that he was getting the full benefit of MQA by playing Master files through ROON. He was seeing an increased bit depth and heard a significant difference in the sound vs Redbook. I had him send me a screenshot of what he was seeing in his playback chain, so I could compare it to mine. Here are the images we sent back and forth. You can see we were playing the same album, yet his playback was at 44.1 and mine at 88.2. He finally connected his DAC directly to his computer and was FLOORED by the improvement in sound quality.

So here's an easy experiment - can you find the Master version of this album from Iron and Wine and play it back using your Aurender and report back what sample rate your DAC displays? Sound quality aside, it stands to reason that if you're getting 88.2 you're getting MQA, and if 44.1 you're not. Would you agree?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Digital: LH Labs Source (someday...) + LH Labs Geek Pulse SFi
    Analogue: Audio Technica OC9ML/ii + Technics 1200SL + Nikko Beta 40 (phono only)
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE
    First Watt F6
    Focal 816VW Special Edition

Oh, I misunderstood you then - but in the process highlighted where all of this confusion is coming from.

Unfolding = decoding. So Tidal Desktop is "unfolding" the MQA file and passing it along digitally to the DAC.

Tidal can also pass along a "folded" file and, depending on the DAC it will either be unfolded prior to playback (MQA enabled DAC) or played in its "folded" form.

I sincerely feel that the fact that a DAC will play either the version of the file is what's leading to all of this ambiguity and confusion.
    There is no doubt that there is ambiguity and confusion with the current state of MQA an Tidal. I don't expect it will get sorted out too soon with all of the new hardware coming on line. I am looking for additional content on Tidal and for more MQA albums added to Hires Audio for purchase.
    Jim

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble connecting directly to your DAC. Believe me, I struggled to find a solution. I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise, so let me leave you with an anecdote with the hope you'll do some additional exploration on your own. I have a friend who subscibes to Tidal and uses ROON. He, like you, was convinced that he was getting the full benefit of MQA by playing Master files through ROON. He was seeing an increased bit depth and heard a significant difference in the sound vs Redbook. I had him send me a screenshot of what he was seeing in his playback chain, so I could compare it to mine. Here are the images we sent back and forth. You can see we were playing the same album, yet his playback was at 44.1 and mine at 88.2. He finally connected his DAC directly to his computer and was FLOORED by the improvement in sound quality.

So here's an easy experiment - can you find the Master version of this album from Iron and Wine and play it back using your Aurender and report back what sample rate your DAC displays? Sound quality aside, it stands to reason that if you're getting 88.2 you're getting MQA, and if 44.1 you're not. Would you agree?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Thx Phil, I do appreciate it! If I did not have my usb/mqa module coming soon for my msb then I would beat my pc into submission, but I am never going to be using it like this.

I know that I am not getting full benefit of mqa when it is being done in SW in the Tidal app vs. HW decoding or even connecting to the pc and getting a higher rate, BUT if you heard what I was hearing you would understand why I am totally content until I can get the full hw decoding in my msb dac, which will be soon.

Thx again!!!

Phil,

Have you read this?

http://www.audiostream.com/content/m...5IvmyHijEG2.97

It definitely says you are getting MQA (watered down maybe, but still MQA)

The MQA "audio origami" process wraps files in a 24-bit FLAC container which can be read by non-MQA enabled DACs. When playing back high-res content on a non-MQA DAC, the file is presented to the DAC as either 24/44.1 or 24/48 depending on the original sample rate family. You cannot play back an MQA encoded 24/96 file as a 24/96 file on a non-MQA DAC.
    The MQA "origami" process reduces the file size of high-res content down to the size of a 24/44.1 or 24/48 file if the original is higher sample-rate.
    A high-resolution original is "limited to an effective resolution of less than 24 bits" when processed by MQA.[1]

Read more at http://www.audiostream.com/content/m...2fE7oIz1SVd.99

Thx Phil, I do appreciate it! If I did not have my usb/mqa module coming soon for my msb then I would beat my pc into submission, but I am never going to be using it like this.

I know that I am not getting full benefit of mqa when it is being done in SW in the Tidal app vs. HW decoding or even connecting to the pc and getting a higher rate, BUT if you heard what I was hearing you would understand why I am totally content until I can get the full hw decoding in my msb dac, which will be soon.

Thx again!!!
    That's what I'm getting at - you're not getting any of the benefit of MQA if you're not seeing the higher bitrate. Because if you're not seeing the higher bitrate, there's no decoding being done, hardware, software, or otherwise. That's why I asked you to confirm what bitrate you get when you play the specific Iron and Wine album "Ghost on Ghost" using your Aurender.

I want to be perfectly clear that I cannot dispute your subjective observation that Master files played via your Aurender sound better than Hi-fi quality files - your ears are your ears alone. What I am disputing is your objective claim that the MQA information contained within high-resolution Master files is being decoded, which can be objectively verified​ by the bitrate displayed at the time of playback.

Quote Originally Posted by tunes View Post
    Go to Tidal.com
    Scroll down to tidal masters, click on "learn more"
    Then scroll down and you'll see two options, new users - experience 60 complimentary days of tidal hifi - click on "sign up to tidal" (follow the sign up process) then download the desktop pc/mac app.

On the app's "settings" tab, click on the "streaming" menu and make sure your quality option is set to hifi/master (not normal or high)
    And below this, Under sound output, look for your dac and select it.

Under "sound output" it says "no audio devices found", but I get 16/44.1 sound through the Oppo. I'll check with Tidal support to see if they can help.
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Phil,

Have you read this?

http://www.audiostream.com/content/m...5IvmyHijEG2.97

It definitely says you are getting MQA (watered down maybe, but still MQA)

The MQA "audio origami" process wraps files in a 24-bit FLAC container which can be read by non-MQA enabled DACs. When playing back high-res content on a non-MQA DAC, the file is presented to the DAC as either 24/44.1 or 24/48 depending on the original sample rate family. You cannot play back an MQA encoded 24/96 file as a 24/96 file on a non-MQA DAC without software decoding taking place before the DAC.
    The MQA "origami" process reduces the file size of high-res content down to the size of a 24/44.1 or 24/48 file if the original is higher sample-rate.
    A high-resolution original is "limited to an effective resolution of less than 24 bits" when processed by MQA.[1]

Read more at http://www.audiostream.com/content/m...2fE7oIz1SVd.99
    I'd like to point out that this article is more than 7 months old, and doesn't take into account the introduction of software decoding by the Tidal Desktop app (I've added to your post to bring it up to speed with the times).

Besides that, Michael Lavorgna doesn't say anything that I haven't already said. An MQA file in it's 24/44 or 24/48 container can still be read by a non-MQA DAC, but it's not going to be decoded to its full encoded sample rate (88.2 or 96k). In other words, an undecoded MQA file is just another 24 bit audio file, much like those for sale @ hdtracks.com and other sites.

Quote Originally Posted by rbbert View Post
    Under "sound output" it says "no audio devices found", but I get 16/44.1 sound through the Oppo. I'll check with Tidal support to see if they can help.
    How are you connecting to the Oppo?

Thx again!!!
    Just to let you know my 808v6 display shows MQA 44k on this title.
    Jim

Just to let you know my 808v6 display shows MQA 44k on this title.
    It shows 24/44K on this title on my dac playing through the Aurender. I maintain that this has been decoded/unfolded in the Tidal app and has passed the MQA version of the file at 24/44 to the msb. If I had a mqa module in the msb then it would read higher to ??? and I hope that it does sound much better once it is hw decoded, BUT I still think this 24/44 is an MQA file and not by what I am hearing, just by the fact of what is shown in that review that I just passed on to you.

Sincerely, this if fun and exciting times....learning and enjoying!!!

Bob,
    In settings of the desktop tidal app, if you are seeing your msb dac selected, hover the mouse/cursor over the end of that text (ie to the right of "msb dac") and a tool icon will come up that you need to click to open the box that allows you to select exclusive mode.
    Chris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

So, does the introduction of MQA change/alter your plans going forward?