Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
    Audioshark

MQA now on Tidal

TIDAL Launches New ‘Master’ Audio Feature

New York/London/Las Vegas, 5 January 2017: Global music and entertainment platform, TIDAL, today has announced the availability of ‘Master’ quality recordings. A wide variety of content from labels and artists, including Warner Music Group’s world-renowned music catalogue, is now available in Master audio across all of TIDAL’s available markets worldwide.

TIDAL has integrated MQA, the award-winning technology that enables this innovation, and has offered it to all TIDAL HiFi tier subscribers under a new ‘Master’ listing. Initially available on desktop, a wide range of recordings are already available and the collection will grow rapidly.

“TIDAL is committed to bringing members closer to their favorite musicians and offering MQA sound quality will allow subscribers to hear music just as it was recorded in the studio,” said a TIDAL representative. “We’re thrilled to bring master quality sound to our members.”

Mike Jbara, MQA CEO, said, “TIDAL is an artist-centric music company. We could not be more excited that they share our vision of having fans hear the authentic performance of their favorite music.”

Visit TIDAL.com/Masters to learn more, non-members can sign up for a complimentary 60-day trial.

-Ends-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Super Moderator

Re: MQA on Tidal

Looks like there is NO price increase. Wooo Hoooo!
    Last edited by joeinid; January 5, 2017 at 12:15 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I sure hope Lumin decides to get on board with MQA. That would be icing on the cake.
    Roon NUC, Lumin X1 & L1, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-R Twenty, Sonus Faber Olympica III, RAAL SR1a & HSA-1b
    Audience Au24-SX interconnects & Zenwave SSR-11 speaker cables, Sablon Gran Corona & Zenwave PSR-11 power cords. Shunyata Everest 8000.
    Adona Zero GXT, SRA, Symposium, & Stillpoints isolation
    , RPG, ASC, & Real Traps room treatment

Bob

Looks like I got my Aurender N10 and Meridian 808v6 at the right time! Should have my system up and running by March. Can't wait!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Audioshark

Blue Coast Music's response:

Music and Audio for Fine Ears

Midweek News

This week's rebates and discounts can always be found at:
    Blue Coast Music Newsletter
    http://bluecoastmusic.com/holiday-gift-certificate

Hi friends,

The Gift Certificate program continues through January 31, 2017.
    http://bluecoastmusic.com/holiday-gift-certificate
    Some of you have mentions smaller and larger certificates... write to us and we will try to accommodate.

Nick Phillips, Jenny Maybee, Jenna Mammina and Rolf Sturm are in New Orleans at the Hyatt participating in the Jazz Education Network Conference. Sounds like an exciting event!
    http://nickphillipsmusic.downloadsnow.net/haiku
    http://bluecoastrecords.downloadsnow...ecial-event-37

Last week we had a great response about data and costs of uploading changing. Some suggested moving to Tacoma, Interesting that many of you suggested we sell MQA downloads because the file size is smaller. Actually, the issues we face were not about our customers downloading music.... it's about uploading multitrack music masters for archiving and storage.

That said if MQA is an interesting topic. We would consider selling MQA downloads if you, our customers presented a viable demand. Truthfully, the folks at MQA haven't made it easy for small labels to get information and rumors run rampant about the cost of licensing the MQA technology. If you have information, let us know.

We sell the original formats as recorded ... and if that's DSD256, all the better. MQA is not a recording format the way DSD is. MQA downloads will never sound as good as what we're already selling.. it might sound different and our customers might like it... but better than the original masters? Not likely. When I can have the technology at the studio to do a proper comparison, I'll report back to everyone.

Brian Moura sent a link to me this morning from computeraudiophile addressing the question... are DSD and MQA vaporware formats?

Here was my response at computeraudiophile....

_The difference as I see it between DSD and MQA are this... DSD is a recording format. MQA is not. Those devoted to DSD recording are probably not soon going to give that up. DSD recording was available long before the downloads were available to consumers. _

_Blue Coast is agnostic when it comes to selling formats of music to customers... we sell what they want to buy... but we're clear when recording that Blue Coast Records uses DSD or analog, no PCM. That's my choice. _

_When we're selling a DSD256 file to a customer from BlueCoastMusic.com or Downloadsnow.net it really is a copy of the master. All other formats are converted from the DSD256 master. Conversions are not perfect copies. The question is... does anyone really care about perfect copies? _

_Based on buying habits of our customers, I would say "no". Most people buy on convenience as to what their DAC is. Still, there are plenty of people who seek the quality of DSD256 even at higher prices. _

_Is there a market for DSD downloads? Right now, yes and it's growing. _

If your company business model is to grow huge and sell off the company, then catalog size matters. Blue Coast is not looking to compete with the biggest catalog of music, just do the best work we can.

We won't be giving up DSD anytime soon.

We'd love to know your opinion! Send an email to support@bluecoastmusic.com
    Enjoy your music!
    Cookie Marenco
    Founder and Producer
    Blue Coast Records
    Blue Coast Music Group

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Still not ready to purchase a MQA DAC until I see if there are any ( I mean more than a couple/few ) artist I enjoy and like.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't MQA supposed to sound better on a non-MQA DAC than Redbook?
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Audioshark

Yes and I thought DSD was originally an archiving format.

Who's on first?

I am playing the Roberta Flack "Killing Me Softly" album from Tidal thru my Sooloos/808v6. I sounds marvelous. Now looking for the other 160+ titles they added today.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

I am very surprised at how varied the initial offerings are. There is something for everyone and it will take days for me to choose which ones I might add to my SooLoos library.
    Jim

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I am very surprised at how varied the initial offerings are. There is something for everyone and it will take days for me to choose which ones I might add to my SooLoos library.
    How's the SQ vs PCM?

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't MQA supposed to sound better on a non-MQA DAC than Redbook?
    Not from everything I have read. A MQA file only sounds good when played through one of the few MQA DACs, and sounds not so good when played through a non-MQA DAC. Remember, MQA is a transport system for PCM files, not really a new format. So really designed more for streaming. If streaming and file size is not a big concern then there should be no advantage. Also material originally recorded in DSD or mastered from original tape to DSD should in fact sound better.

However, for a streaming service such as Tidal, with a MQA DAC you should get better sound because higher resolution PCM files can be streamed without bandwidth issues.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    How's the SQ vs PCM?

MQA is a transport system for PCM files. Other than their claims of optomizing for DAC used in recording it should not sound different than the original PCM file. If it does .... the real advantage is being able to stream high res files without the band width issues.

I talked for quite some time with David Elias, one of the first artist to embrace MQA. He stated in no uncertain terms that his original DSD recordings sound better, but MQA is fantastic for streaming and portable use...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Today is the day page has turned for the better in digital. IMHO this is a game changer for people who enjoy music. Without a cost increase we now have potentially and hopefully thousands more MQA titles coming our with Tidal.

Well Randy. I am glad I have my ears and not yours.
    Jim

This all comes down to time domain resolution and lack of distortion. The two main reasons why our brains prefer analog sound. We can thank the pioneers in this industry (Pacific Microsonics ) who paved the way for MQA. We can thank the Meridian team for the hopefully mass adaption of this.

The gap is closing and closing fast. I'm gonna go ahead and say very similar to when high performance cars when with DSG Transmissions and movie studios by far adopted digital cameras and playback. In other words, the newer technology has closed the gap between old and new.

This is a good day to be an audiophile and music lover regardless of what format and technology you prefer.

Jim,

Did I say anything negative about MQA... NO... I said it is a transport system for PCM files, which in fact it is... if you enjoy your music through Tidal it is a big deal for you, as I said... if you have one of the few MQA DACs...

If you do not listen to your music through a streaming service, or if you are not dealing with a size constraint like you might be on a portable than it is not a big deal.

Is there anything what so ever that I just said that is untrue or in correct? If so please correct me...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

I thought MQA made adjustments to the file based on flaws in the recording equipment?

I thought MQA made adjustments to the file based on flaws in the recording equipment?

Again, from my understanding they make adjustments to the files depending on the DAC used for recording... if it is originally recorded as PCM then they assume their adjust is better than the recording engineer... ok debatable which is better, but if it was originally recorded in DSD or tape... according to David, who has done extensive DSD recording, and one of the first artist who fully embraces MQA, the DSD is more analog, better, but at a huge size trade off. MQA allows for high res PCM at smaller easier to stream or carry in a portable sizes.

Again I truly hope it is a big improvement, but it appears to really be a big deal more for Tidal users. Now if they start offering MQA decoding in software, such as Roon, with their Tidal integration then that would be really huge! I might actually even consider subscribing to Tidal ...

What DACs actually have MQA support? Meridian ultra expensive... cool! Their cheap which seems to be kind of.... cheap... the Brooklyn, which I seriously considered... there are at the least twice that number of companies who have officially stated they will not support... it has to have software support...

Again I am sure there are others companies with support that do not come to mind.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Aurender A10 supports MQA as well as the N10. Roon users are streaming MQA thru Tidal as we speak. Check out Audiostream.com

But isn't this done "by ear" (i.e., by guess)?
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

Quote Originally Posted by russellbobby View Post
    Aurender A10 supports MQA as well as the N10. Roon users are streaming MQA thru Tidal as we speak. Check out Audiostream.com
    But Roon users require a MQA DAC, correct? I am talking about software decoding... which is a big discussion going on in the Roon forums.

By the way, Aurender does not mention anything on their website about MQA support. I don't think they would keep that a secret.

http://www.aurender.com/

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Jim,

Did I say anything negative about MQA... NO... I said it is a transport system for PCM files, which in fact it is... if you enjoy your music through Tidal it is a big deal for you, as I said... if you have one of the few MQA DACs...

If you do not listen to your music through a streaming service, or if you are not dealing with a size constraint like you might be on a portable than it is not a big deal.

Is there anything what so ever that I just said that is untrue or in correct? If so please correct me...
    You keep focusing on MQA as a transport for hi res files and pooh poohing the idea that MQA can and in many instances does improve the SQ of the file.

The ability to easily stream MQA files is not of importance to me. The SQ is. I will treat MQA files just as I do PCM or CD's. I purchase the CD or occasional Hi-Rez files of those releases I like and I tag those of marginal interest to stream via Sooloos Tidal as needed.
    Jim

I do understand SQ as most important, as it is to me as well, of course with a much more limited budget. Of course that is irrelevant to the current discussion...

The point being that MQA is in fact a PCM based system. It is designed to make PCM files more compact and easier to transport. It is not a new coding system... it is PCM... yes they attempt to improve PCM files by adjusting for DAC used for recording, etc., with mixed results from all reports.

However it is not better if the original was not recorded PCM...

Anyway, it is in fact designed as a transport system for PCM files, and as such is great for Tidäl users..

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Anyway, it is in fact designed as a transport system for PCM files, and as such is great for Tidäl users..
    I'm not an MQA fan, but this statement is pretty far from the (much more complicated) "truth".
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;

Again, I am all for advancements in tech... but... I have read and been told from very informed sources that in essence MQA is in fact a transport system for PCM designed around the idea of higher resolution streaming without the bandwidth issues... they have actually referred to it (Meridian not me) as the next generation MP3.... probably a marketing thing... but... anyway....

"Just a PCM stream

So MQA is just a 88.2 or 96kHz PCM stream with 16 bits resolution. According to Meridian and as mentioned in the patent this is enough to satisfy audiophile requirements. In Mr. Stuarts 2004 AES paper “Coding High Quality Digital Audio” he concludes (page 19) that to capture all hearable frequencies we need 58kHz sampling rate with a 14-bit representation with appropriate noise shaping. MQA clearly exceeds this minimum requirement.
    However from more recent research it turns out that although humans can not hear frequencies above 20kHz, they are sensitive to timing of sounds to about 10 microseconds. So first you notice the arrival of a sound (quick change in air pressure, a very high frequency) and later on you actual hear what sound it is. To preserve this timing info in the audio signal 96kHz is therefor not enough, we actually need 192kHz. MQA does not seem to take this into account?
    Since with very high frequencies it is all about the timing (and amplitude) and not about the actual frequency, Meridian found a way around this. The solution is described in the patent named “Digital Encapsulation of Audio Signals”. In the presentation of MQA Mr. Stuart states that the information of the 192kHz signal is carefully folded into the 96kHz signal. The truth is that this automatically happens if you down sample without a lowpass (or brick wall) filter at the Nyquist frequency (half of the signal frequency). For instance if you down sample from 88.2kHz to 44.1kHz signal, 23kHz will be mapped onto 21kHz, 24kHz onto 20kHz and so on.
    With the frequencies of the above example this is considered to be a big problem. However the higher frequencies (above 76kHz) of the 192kHz signal (above 68kHz for a 176.4kHz signal) have far less energy than the lower frequencies (below 20kHz and within human range). So in this case it should be no problem. And to avoid contamination of the lowest 7kHz range (to which the human hearing system is most sensitive), Meridian deploys a small 6 tap FIR filter to attenuate the upper frequencies of the 192kHz signal, since they will be mapped on the lowest frequencies after folding.
    Decoding of the 96kHz MQA stream to the original 192kHz signal is simply performed by calculating in-between samples by averaging the 2 neighbouring samples. Besides that a small correction filter is applied to compensate for the filter used at the encoding stage. The idea is that this up sampling process should happen in the DAC or just before the DAC.
    So there you have it: MQA is just a 192kHz signal folded into a 96kHz 16 bits PCM stream. "

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

well, consider me confused. is the gist that people with non-MQA dacs can run MQA files through Tidal and sound better than the non-MQA version? or do you need a MQA dac for the files to sound better.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Every source says you need a MQA DAC to realize the benefits, and many sources state that there is actually a degradation in sound with a non-MQA DAC...

A direct quote from a Benchmark white papers: "There is no question that MQA degrades the quality of the audio for users who do not have an MQA decoder."

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    Depends on who you believe. The marketing message says yes. If you believe the analysis done by various guys in the Internet, the the answer is different.

Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    I sure hope Lumin decides to get on board with MQA. That would be icing on the cake.
    Lumin will seriously consider it. No decision at this point.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

According to Steven Stone at AudioCircle.com:

"The reason Tidal no longer lists MQA-compatible DAC as a necessity is because it no longer is! You can get a 96/24 stream from the MQA masters via the MQA app's internal MQA decoding for ANY Dac that is 96/24 capable. Even the PS Audio DSD jr works. Anti up the $20 a month and you're ready to rock with 96/24 streams. Add an MQA compatible DAC and you can get 192/24..."

Steven Stone is from The Absolute Sound, although that is somewhat beside the point. More interesting is the question: where is Meridian making money from MQA, if Tidal isn't charging extra and one doesn't need an MQA DAC?
    Rob

If Tidal's analysis after the first several months show that there is enough demand and enough usage by more than a small group of users then the "free" part will go and they will charge extra as was the initial plan. As much money as they lose every month they have to get it from somewhere. As it is now it only works if you are streaming from the Tidal app using full Windows or Mac OS. IOS devices which are the majority control device for most streaming apps won't work. Auralic came out with a statement earlier today that their Lightning DS software would pass the MQA data on. Well it doesn't and as it is an IOS based software it wouldn't. The Masters section does not show up in Lightning DS like on the Windows 10 Tidal app. So if I wanted to hook up a $30 Chromecast Audio device it would work.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

In short:

MQA SQ improvement is designed to come from time deblurring, elimination of pre-ringing and post-ringing, based on profiling the ADC in the recording equipment, as well as the DAC. Therefore, to get the full benefits, MQA DAC is required. Without a MQA DAC, not all benefits are realized.

MQA also folds higher sampling rates into 24/44.1 or 24/48 for hopefully more efficient transport, as mentioned above.

as far as I am concerned, MQA is simply part of the background noise (or garbage heap, where you would find Stuart's other turd.....MLP) until I hear from one credible person who has, with zero outside influence, observed their own files on their own gear realize definite improvement. everything I have seen so far is manipulated and massaged. I am surprised they have got as far as they have with as little true evidence.

I've participated in 2 MQA demos at shows with my mind open, but both were simply a series of choreographed cuts played without any sort of credible process for the audience to really know what was what.

show me one end user who raves about it.

OTOH if they have really done 'cold fusion' for us music lovers (actually improve an original file by the process and not just change it) then good for them and we all benefit. but color me quite skeptical.

I can see some benefits for streaming, but I admit to being skeptical also. Several respected companies have came out against MQA.

My biggest problems are the exaggerated claims with very little to back it. And then the demonstrations on crazy expensive systems with no true head to head comparisons. And then I read from several sources, with in depth technical evidence disproving the claims... hard to know what to think...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Instead of debating its merits, it's probably simpler for those who have Tidal subscription to check out the MQA Tidal streaming from desktop to a (non-MQA) DAC.

Note that the *desktop* app has to be used, the quality needs to be set to HiFi/Master for Streaming access, and it's best to turn on Exclusive mode.

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/a...-TIDAL-MASTERS

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Instead of debating its merits, it's probably simpler for those who have Tidal subscription to check out the MQA Tidal streaming from desktop to a (non-MQA) DAC.

Note that the *desktop* app has to be used, the quality needs to be set to HiFi/Master for Streaming access, and it's best to turn on Exclusive mode.

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/a...-TIDAL-MASTERS
    but you are not controlling the Tidal source to know what you are comparing it to. you are getting whatever Tidal might give you. so while it might give you an answer to some question, and it is a data point of some value, it does not really help to answer the question.

you need to control all aspects of the source file, the MQA application, and the comparison method. that's the feedback I'm looking for.

otherwise you are just whistling Dixie along with the prior MQA parade. we are being told what is happening, but not getting the goods.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    as far as I am concerned, MQA is simply part of the background noise (or garbage heap, where you would find Stuart's other turd.....MLP) until I hear from one credible person who has, with zero outside influence, observed their own files on their own gear realize definite improvement. everything I have seen so far is manipulated and massaged. I am surprised they have got as far as they have with as little true evidence.

I've participated in 2 MQA demos at shows with my mind open, but both were simply a series of choreographed cuts played without any sort of credible process for the audience to really know what was what.

show me one end user who raves about it.

OTOH if they have really done 'cold fusion' for us music lovers (actually improve an original file by the process and not just change it) then good for them and we all benefit. but color me quite skeptical.
    I am using non MQA 24/96 Dacs and streaming the MQA files through an Aurender N10 and there is a substantial increase in SQ vs. the same albums that are non MQA.....in my system it is not subtle and I am totally surprised and appreciative of this new path that seems to have opened up....quite something in my opinion and this is without an MQA DAC at the moment.

Previously I have been VERY skeptical of MQA, but after experiencing what I have experienced with these first set of titles available on Tidal in my system I am now "a believer".

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    I am using non MQA 24/96 Dacs and streaming the MQA files through an Aurender N10 and there is a substantial increase in SQ vs. the same albums that are non MQA.....in my system it is not subtle and I am totally surprised and appreciative of this new path that seems to have opened up....quite something in my opinion and this is without an MQA DAC at the moment.

Previously I have been VERY skeptical of MQA, but after experiencing what I have experienced with these first set of titles available on Tidal in my system I am now "a believer".
    Bob,

thanks. this is great feedback. help me to understand the actual source files you are using. in each comparative case, did you acquire the files from the same source, or are you comparing existing files you had with new MQA files you personally acquired? and all these files are on your own hard drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    Bob,

thanks. this is great feedback. help me to understand the actual source files you are using. in each comparative case, did you acquire the files from the same source, or are you comparing existing files you had with new MQA files you personally acquired? and all these files are on your own hard drive?

Hi Mike,

I'm sort of shell shocked. I just did this last night and this morning, but it is undeniable and not hard to hear the difference.

I logged into Tidal on my pc. Found the 100ish some new MQA listed titles and favorited them. Then went to the Aurender app, closed the app and opened it up again, which updates all of the favorites selected in Tidal.

Played these new files and compared them to the same albums that I had selected as favorites prior to selecting these new files. I only did this with one or two tracks as it's not a subtle thing where you have to listen closely to hear the difference. Any track that is selected from the new MQA titles playing back through my 24/96 Goldmund DACs or the MSB Select II DAC instantly sounds different than the digital has sounded before.

I have to say it sounds "different" to me vs native DSD files. I could not yet explain the differences but the MQA files are VERY holographic and there is a LOT of high frequency information that seems to have quadrupled. I don't have a good handle on it yet, but it is different and is definitely preferable.

Btw, I had heard a few MQA demos at the shows and I thought the demos were laughable. I didn't get anything out of them and thought the whole MQA things was just a bunch of nonsense.....I was dead wrong.

Audioshark

Re: MQA now on Tidal

It's been two years since I first heard MQA. Glad to see first impressions are positive for others as they were for me. You will likely find some albums are incredible, and others are just "ok". But overall, it's a positive step.

Now the question: will it survive and thrive? Given that it's a technology Meridian intended for the masses, let's sure hope so. Anything is better than MP3 the masses are listening to today.

Audioshark

I have asked John Paul at Aurender but have not yet completely connected on our conversation at this moment. What I do not currently see in the Aurender app is a MQA designation on the Tidal MQA files. Does anyone see how the MQA files are noticed in the Aurender app?

I have logged in to Tidal on my pc, upgraded the version of Tidal that I had, which includes the Master designation and the some 100 albums that they have listed as "Masters". I favorited them in the Tidal PC version, which then updates your fav's to the Aurender version of Tidal. When you play them, through the 24/96 DAC's there definitely is a sonic difference but I do not see any MQA or Masters designation of the file in the Aurender app other than I know that it is my last set of saved favorites and it sure does sound different.

Maybe I am missing something with the Masters designation in the Aurender app, if so, please enlighten me....thx

It's been two years since I first heard MQA. Glad to see first impressions are positive for others as they were for me. You will likely find some albums are incredible, and others are just "ok". But overall, it's a positive step.

Now the question: will it survive and thrive? Given that it's a technology Meridian intended for the masses, let's sure hope so. Anything is better than MP3 the masses are listening to today.
    Mike, I heard MQA 2 years ago at the shows as well, but it did NOTHING like what I am experiencing in my systems via Tidal and the Aurender. When I heard the Meridian demos at the shows they were not using either Tidal or Aurender. I think I heard 3 demos dating back 2 years at different shows.

Audioshark

Mike, I heard MQA 2 years ago at the shows as well, but it did NOTHING like what I am experiencing in my systems via Tidal and the Aurender. When I heard the Meridian demos at the shows they were not using either Tidal or Aurender. I think I heard 3 demos dating back 2 years at different shows.
    They had a beta Tidal version running a year ago at CES. Check out my MQA videos on YouTube. There was MQA in multiple rooms if you knew where to find it. But there is nothing like having it in your own system to really test things out.

They had a beta Tidal version running a year ago at CES. Check out my MQA videos on YouTube. There was MQA in multiple rooms if you knew where to find it. But there is nothing like having it in your own system to really test things out.
    Yes, I heard all those rooms at CES and Chicago and Newport Beach, but I could never hear a difference when they did the demos. All I remember about those demos is that all they did was talk about how good MQA was, then put on a track or two and they sounded mediocre at best. A lot had to do with the systems they were using.

Audioshark

Here's the puzzling thing. When I played with the Beta Tidal a year ago at CES, there were about 160 MQA titles. A year later, today, there are, well, about 160 MQA titles.

Hmmmm....

If MQA is going to thrive and survive, content will be king.

Will labels sign on? Will artists sign on? Regardless, it's going to be fun to watch.

Hi Mike,

I'm sort of shell shocked. I just did this last night and this morning, but it is undeniable and not hard to hear the difference.

I logged into Tidal on my pc. Found the 100ish some new MQA listed titles and favorited them. Then went to the Aurender app, closed the app and opened it up again, which updates all of the favorites selected in Tidal.

Played these new files and compared them to the same albums that I had selected as favorites prior to selecting these new files. I only did this with one or two tracks as it's not a subtle thing where you have to listen closely to hear the difference. Any track that is selected from the new MQA titles playing back through my 24/96 Goldmund DACs or the MSB Select II DAC instantly sounds different than the digital has sounded before.

I have to say it sounds "different" to me vs native DSD files. I could not yet explain the differences but the MQA files are VERY holographic and there is a LOT of high frequency information that seems to have quadrupled. I don't have a good handle on it yet, but it is different and is definitely preferable.

Btw, I had heard a few MQA demos at the shows and I thought the demos were laughable. I didn't get anything out of them and thought the whole MQA things was just a bunch of nonsense.....I was dead wrong.
    Thank you for the heads up. Just did this with my A10. Just as you described. Unfortunately the wife works from home and was able to get in the first minute of Zeppelin " Babe I am going to leave you" definitely different for the good. Sounds like you have a connect at Aurender and will be watching this thread intently.

Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

MQA now on Tidal