In search of a quality FM Antenna, even a DIY solution... - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: In search of a quality FM Antenna, even a DIY solution...

The C.Crane FM Reflect antennas came in, and I got them temporarily installed. They look tacky with the tape holding them up! LOL

With that said, I put the first one up on the front wall, just above the standard folded dipole so I could get some direct comparisons of the two.

Even with the C.Crane antenna being nearly a full 12" shorter, the results are pretty good. More so than I was expecting!

Here's a few samples...

And here's where I have the other antenna placed. It definitely helps in a big was on two or three stations where the one up front seems to not do too well.

And the Yamaha in its final resting place.

Charles
    Analog:
    Technics SL-1700 MK2 w/ Ortofon 2M Bronze | Carver TX-11a | Yamaha TX-1000U Digital: Oppo BDP-105D | Roku Ultra | Synology DS215J 6TB Preamplification: Carver BillD C-1 | Lounge Audio LCR MK III | Carver C-9 Amplification: Carver M-500t MkII Loudspeakers: Martin Logan SL3 Subwoofer: JL Audio e110 Remote: Apple iPad 2 Mini Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio PLC Puck x 2 & Yalo Bulala | APC H15 Power/Signal/Speaker Cabling: Wireworld Oasis 7 | Aurora 7 | Ultraviolet 7 | Nova

Post Thanks / Like

Nice.... glad it seems to be helping.... I assume your wife will string you up if you have tape and antenna hanging all over the wall like that. My wife would definitely want it changed ....

hopefully my ST-2 will be arriving tomorrow! Then hopefully this antenna thing can be put to bed.
    Electronics: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, DAC-2v2SE, Recovery, Remedy | Audio Research VT50 |First Watt F6 | Benchmark DAC3 HGC | McIntosh MR85
    Speakers/Headphones: MC RL21 | Gingko Stands | REL TZero | KEF Kube | Sennheiser HD800S | KEF M500
    Sources: Falcon Tiki (Roon Headless Server) | Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Roon Controller) | Marantz SA8005 | Magnum Dynalab ST-2
    Cables: Richard Gray | Wireworld | Audioquest | Tributaries | Kimber Kable | Wyred 4 Sound
    Power: Furman Elite 15i | iFi iPower | PS Audio Noise Harvesters x2

Post Thanks / Like

She has all of her weird pictures and art that she hangs up everywhere else, and she knows how I am with stereo equipment and music, so she usually leaves me be. Granted, I don't even like the way this looks, so it will be tweaked. The important thing is, they work! And being that dipoles are somewhat directional, they may end up performing better than the ST-2. I guess I'll find that out Friday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Nice.... glad it seems to be helping.... I assume your wife will string you up if you have tape and antenna hanging all over the wall like that. My wife would definitely want it changed ....

hopefully my ST-2 will be arriving tomorrow! Then hopefully this antenna thing can be put to bed.
    Charles
    Analog:
    Technics SL-1700 MK2 w/ Ortofon 2M Bronze | Carver TX-11a | Yamaha TX-1000U Digital: Oppo BDP-105D | Roku Ultra | Synology DS215J 6TB Preamplification: Carver BillD C-1 | Lounge Audio LCR MK III | Carver C-9 Amplification: Carver M-500t MkII Loudspeakers: Martin Logan SL3 Subwoofer: JL Audio e110 Remote: Apple iPad 2 Mini Power Conditioning: Blue Circle Audio PLC Puck x 2 & Yalo Bulala | APC H15 Power/Signal/Speaker Cabling: Wireworld Oasis 7 | Aurora 7 | Ultraviolet 7 | Nova

Post Thanks / Like

Cool beans.... let me know. I know the Godar that I have and am returning when the label arrives is directional. I do not like it because I had to constantly fiddle with it. I am hoping that the ST-2 pull in all I want at a high signal without having to mess with it. That is what everybody seems to say about it, so i guess we will see ....
    Electronics: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, DAC-2v2SE, Recovery, Remedy | Audio Research VT50 |First Watt F6 | Benchmark DAC3 HGC | McIntosh MR85
    Speakers/Headphones: MC RL21 | Gingko Stands | REL TZero | KEF Kube | Sennheiser HD800S | KEF M500
    Sources: Falcon Tiki (Roon Headless Server) | Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Roon Controller) | Marantz SA8005 | Magnum Dynalab ST-2
    Cables: Richard Gray | Wireworld | Audioquest | Tributaries | Kimber Kable | Wyred 4 Sound

Post Thanks / Like

I was doing a little "DXing" about an hour ago, and picked up a country station (92.7 WAVW) which is 140 miles away in Stuart, FL!

Granted, it was in mono with a little bit of static, but it would occasionally flicker the first segment on the meter. That was on antenna "A" which is the one that faces north/south over the sliding glass doors.
    Charles
    Analog:

Post Thanks / Like

You are trying to get me to pick up a TM-1 and have two tuners with different antennas, aren't you .... That is very cool Charles... sounds like you are having fun with it... nice seeing you back into your audio... was starting to think those exhaust fumes were getting to you ...

Post Thanks / Like

Charles.......The differences in signal strength between the standard throw-away dipole antenna and the C. Crane FM Reflect antenna is substantial and impressive, especially on the 104.7 station. Every comparison clearly shows a superior antenna in use. I am going to order the C. Crane FM Reflect antenna for my Tandberg 3011A tuner in the vintage system. Now you have me buying stuff. .
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Never Connected PSU, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC452, MR85, Esoteric K-03, Olive 04HD, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Charles....

Post Thanks / Like

Randy, I didn't even know what a TM-1 was until just a minute ago. Thank you, Google! Haha

That's pretty cool that you can add another tuner module like that. All I've gotta say is, it couldn't hurt. As for being back into my system, I guess I was content with it for a bit as I had just bought the Z, which I was spending money and time on... And things still aren't installed on the darn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    You are trying to get me to pick up a TM-1 and have two tuners with different antennas, aren't you .... That is very cool Charles... sounds like you are having fun with it... nice seeing you back into your audio... was starting to think those exhaust fumes were getting to you ...

Dan, the FM Reflect definitely is substantial and impressive. It doesn't make that big off an improvement on already strong stations, but stations that are moderately strong, the FM Reflect pulls them in for the win.

I don't know what station 104.7 is up where you are, but here it's in Tampa (WRBQ - Q105), and I'm supposed to be well within the local range of it. I guess what I'm getting is a lot of multipath interference, with the meter swinging back and forth quite a bit. And when a song gets louder and louder, the signal gets weaker to the point of dropping to mono.

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Charles.......The differences in signal strength between the standard throw-away dipole antenna and the C. Crane FM Reflect antenna is substantial and impressive, especially on the 104.7 station. Every comparison clearly shows a superior antenna in use. I am going to order the C. Crane FM Reflect antenna for my Tandberg 3011A tuner in the vintage system. Now you have me buying stuff. .
    Charles
    Analog:

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing I don't particularly care for with these C.Crane antennas is that they are 54" long whereas the cheap dipole that I pulled down was about 64" long, if not a little more. So right now, 88.5 and 89.7 aren't as strong as they are with the cheap dipole. I mean, at least it's still in stereo and there's still no hiss, but the signal is going no higher than about 20 on the meter.

And yes, I know the meter on the TX-1000 is a "signal quality" meter, but it still shows strength.
    Charles
    Analog:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast