REL S5 SHO under way, exciting... - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: REL S5 SHO under way, exciting...

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Thanks. As long as it sounds good to your ears, that's the only thing that matters :-) I bought a pair of S/5 couple of months back and still experimenting with the placement and tuning. Between, if you got a single sub, you really need to get a pair.
    I just spent 2 hours streaming Tidal (HiFi, not MQA) and I've got to say, with all due respect, that with my system in my room the one S/5 is great and the idea that I need a pair is nonsense. Among other artists, I listened to Bettye Lavette, Mavis Staples, Mark Knopfler, Steve Earle and Guy Clark - all of them live. The sense of place, of being there, and the soundstage was astounding. The room was well pressurized and the bass and kick drum were taught and impactful. Clark's solo miked acoustic guitar on "Dublin Blues" was astonishing. Yeah, it sounds good to my ears and, since I listen to and play live music a lot, I'd argue that my ears are pretty damn good. So cheers to the S/5 and the rest of my system, I'm extremely happy.
    Clearaudio Ovation turntable/Clearaudio Universal tonearm/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze/Esoteric E-03; Apple Air/Ayre QB-9 DSD; McIntosh MCD500; Pioneer RT-909 reel to reel; PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated Amplifier; Harbeth 30.1 Monitors; REL S/5 SHO; Shunyata Venom PS8 Power Distributor, Venom Defender, Venom HC and Venom 3 PCs; Cardas Clear USB Cable; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 ICs and speaker cables; Steve Blinn Designs Rack; Mapleshade Platform; KLAUDiO RCM.

2. Likes Kuoppis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats great. Congrats!!!!!

If you ever get a chance tho - listen to 2 subs in your system. Again - it's not about the bass level. Just as you found adding 1 sub did, to the soundstage, depth, mids you will find the same with 2 - one for each channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    I just spent 2 hours streaming Tidal (HiFi, not MQA) and I've got to say, with all due respect, that with my system in my room the one S/5 is great and the idea that I need a pair is nonsense. Among other artists, I listened to Bettye Lavette, Mavis Staples, Mark Knopfler, Steve Earle and Guy Clark - all of them live. The sense of place, of being there, and the soundstage was astounding. The room was well pressurized and the bass and kick drum were taught and impactful. Clark's solo miked acoustic guitar on "Dublin Blues" was astonishing. Yeah, it sounds good to my ears and, since I listen to and play live music a lot, I'd argue that my ears are pretty damn good. So cheers to the S/5 and the rest of my system, I'm extremely happy.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Lumin U1, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Gryphon Diablo 300 w DAC, Raidho D5, 2 Magico QSub15s, Shunyata Sigma IC/SC/PCs, Denali/Typhon.

Workshop: Lumin U1/Ayre QX-5/20, Border Patrol Pre and Power, Volti Vittora w Volti subs, Triode Wire Labs IC/SC, Shunyata Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

For Sale:

4. Thanks Moby thanked for this post
    Likes Moby, Toomey, Jim Smith, Ritmo, sharkmouth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Iíve swapped out the original 10 meter cable that came with the REL with a 4 meter Kimber Kable REL CU Subwoofer Cable and could immediately notice the difference - deeper more powerful bass, faster response, better integration. Now some of this may be due to a shorter cable run and better soldered connectors at the amp end, but Iím sure some of this is due to the cable itself. The difference was so noticeable that I will recalibrate the subwoofer tomorrow by first adjusting the crossover on the REL and then, if necessary, adjusting the volume pot on the REL. I know some might put this down to a placebo effect but all I know is that there is an improvement and itís not subtle.
    Clearaudio Ovation turntable/Clearaudio Universal tonearm/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze/Esoteric E-03; Apple Air/Ayre QB-9 DSD; McIntosh MCD500; Pioneer RT-909 reel to reel; PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated Amplifier; Harbeth 30.1 Monitors; REL S/5 SHO; Shunyata Venom PS8 Power Distributor, Venom Defender, Venom HC and Venom 3 PCs; Cardas Clear USB Cable; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 ICs and speaker cables; Steve Blinn Designs Rack; Mapleshade Platform; KLAUDiO RCM.

6. Likes CharlesL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's my system with the REL S/5 SHO incorporated:
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. Likes AJR, Kuoppis, kzhtoo, Everest Audio liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    Here's my system with the REL S/5 SHO incorporated:
    Is it just me or two speakers arenít placed symmetrically?
    Nice system, BTW. It looks like somewhere I just want to sit and relax with a book while listening to music.

Post Thanks / Like

Youíre correct, the speakers arenít placed symmetrically - I spent hours adjusting them for distance from the front wall, distance from each other, and toe-in to lock the soundstage and bass in from the prime listening position on the couch. I have an odd L shaped room (which is another component to deal with in the system) so the seemingly odd set up is in part an adjustment for that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4