Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

REL S5 SHO under way, exciting...

Spent x-mas in the summerhouse, listened to music and watched a couple of films with the surround system. Concluded the guys are right and you do not necessarily need the subs only for the bass, but also for the midrange.

All in all pretty much Mike's fault, partly the professor also to blame and Jim's recommendation of the RELs did not help either (even though we're not talking about Q-Subs here) .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Super Moderator

Re: REL S5 SHO under way, exciting...

It's uncanny how much subs affect and enhance the mid-range.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I don't understand it but it does.

And the REL's are great musical subs.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Frankly speaking I had not understood it properly earlier REL S5 SHO under way, exciting....

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

The S5 SHO arrived yesterday and so I added it to the setup - the difference is quite dramatic. However, I am not talking about the bass. The S3s already have all the bass I need.

What I am referring to is the depth of imaging, soundstage and three dimensionality of the sound, particularly impressive e.g. when listening to piano play. It further appears that the sub provides quite a bit of relieve to the mids, allowing them to become more open, detailed and palpable. Of course, the lowest keys on the piano are also more effortless.

I am very happy I went with REL and not some car trunk boom box making windows shake and fillings to loosen. Very nice indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    The S5 SHO arrived yesterday and so I added it to the setup - the difference is quite dramatic. However, I am not talking about the bass. The S3s already have all the bass I need.

What I am referring to is the depth of imaging, soundstage and three dimensionality of the sound, particularly impressive e.g. when listening to piano play. It further appears that the sub provides quite a bit of relieve to the mids, allowing them to become more open, detailed and palpable. Of course, the lowest keys on the piano are also more effortless.

I am very happy I went with REL and not some car trunk boom box making windows shake and fillings to loosen. Very nice indeed.

Glad you like the sub "effect". I use my S3s with JL 113v2 to very satisfactory results.

Do RELs have any DSP you can experiment with ?
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Glad you like the sub "effect". I use my S3s with JL 113v2 to very satisfactory results.
    What I like in particular, is that adding the sub bass also improves analogue playback in the low end without destroying anything on the top.

A couple of nice tracks to check the sub impact with: Christine and the Queens/ Paradis Perdus for low end ambience, Caught by A Ghost/ Can't let go for low low freq reach, Adele/ When We Were Young for clarity of bass, Alison Krauss Live/ Let Me Touch for a While or Ray Brown/ Exactly Like You for Midrange clarity, Africa/ Toto for soundstage.

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Do RELs have any DSP you can experiment with ?
    Just volume, crossover, phase shift, as such very simple.

Benefit comes from the high freq connection, which connects directly to the same speaker connectors as your main speakers and hence gives the sub exactly the same signal path as the transducers.

This is where the fun of having a superb sub really starts...

Mike, may I ask for a little help: where does your sub cross over with the RELs and M3s?

Audioshark

Mike, may I ask for a little help: where does your sub cross over with the RELs and M3s?

I've been experimenting and right now, I'm at 24hz, +7. I'm listening for excessive "chestiness" in vocals and some acoustic guitar which can almost sound like someone is talking into a wall or playing too close to a wall. But I don't want a suck out or a dryness in the vocals either. It's a delicate balance. I will also add, that sub placement has a lot to do with it. I've been experimenting and I do not like the subs near the front wall at all. I want them closer to the main speakers. Right now, for timing and sonics, they are just outside the mains and set back a little (a few inches).

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I've been experimenting and right now, I'm at 24hz, +7. I'm listening for excessive "chestiness" in vocals and some acoustic guitar which can almost sound like someone is talking into a wall or playing too close to a wall. But I don't want a suck out or a dryness in the vocals either. It's a delicate balance. I will also add, that sub placement has a lot to do with it. I've been experimenting and I do not like the subs near the front wall at all. I want them closer to the main speakers. Right now, for timing and sonics, they are just outside the mains and set back a little (a few inches).

Thanks Mike for sharing your insights, greatly appreciated.

Outstanding demo setup, phantastic!

Mike, over the years I have found with the Torus from one side of the speaker to the other makes a huge difference. Everything is very room dependent. Your mention about the subs being closer to the front wall is a very good one as I too have found that if I put the subs anywhere within 3 ft of a front wall that hasn't been treated, I have to adjust them right down to the low 20's which does affect the mid range. This too detracts that last 5%. You'd be hard pressed to find better music than Tracey Chapman to set the room up, she is one of my go to's.

Sub bass experience anyone?

My S5 SHO arrives on Wednesday and I'm pumped. Have any of you swapped out the included REL Neutrik Speakon cable for another brand? If so, what?
    Clearaudio Ovation turntable/Clearaudio Universal tonearm/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze/Esoteric E-03; Apple Air/Ayre QB-9 DSD; McIntosh MCD500; Pioneer RT-909 reel to reel; PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated Amplifier; Harbeth 30.1 Monitors; REL S/5 SHO; Shunyata Venom PS8 Power Distributor, Venom Defender, Venom HC and Venom 3 PCs; Cardas Clear USB Cable; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 ICs and speaker cables; Steve Blinn Designs Rack; Mapleshade Platform; KLAUDiO RCM.

Congrats Moby, I love my S5 SHO. Really great sub IMHO.

I replaced the original Neutrik cable with the REL Blue. As far as I can tell worth the expense.

I replaced the original Neutrik cable with the REL Blue. As far as I can tell worth the expense.

+1. Did the same thing for my S5.

It’s here and my back is recovering from lugging it downstairs. Next up - hooking it up and dialing it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Moby View Post
    My S5 SHO arrives on Wednesday and I'm pumped. Have any of you swapped out the included REL Neutrik Speakon cable for another brand? If so, what?
    The REL Bassline Blue is superior to the stock cable. However, we have one custom made by GutWire and I find it superior to the REL Bassline Blue. I have a 8ft demo one I could give you for a very good price if that's long enough for you.
    Everest Audio
    www.everestaudio.com
    Facebook

bel canto, Hegel, Vimberg, Opera, MoFi, Acoustic Energy, JL Audio, Innuos, Vertere, Meze Audio, Origin Live, GutWire, Wireworld, Furutech, IsoAcoustics and more

Thanks, but I have a 10 foot Kimber Cable on Order.

I received the S/5 SHO, unpacked and placed it, and got it dialed in using the old standby: Ballad of the Runaway Horse from Jennifer Warnes’ Famous Blue Raincoat. The sub is seamlessly integrated and does not draw attention to itself, and the depth of all aspects of the music is increased in a completely natural way. Then I played the live version of Joan of Arc. Oh my. Not only is the midrange and Jennifer’s voice richer and the bass much deeper than from my Harbeths alone, the soundstage and sense of the concert hall was mesmerizing. I was transported to another place. You really can’t ask for more than that.
    Clearaudio Ovation turntable/Clearaudio Universal tonearm/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze/Esoteric E-03; Apple Air/Ayre QB-9 DSD; McIntosh MCD500; Pioneer RT-909 reel to reel; PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated Amplifier; Harbeth 30.1 Monitors; REL S/5 SHO; Shunyata Venom PS8 Power Distributor, Venom Defender, Venom HC and Venom 3 PCs; Cardas Clear USB Cable; WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 ICs and speaker cables; Steve Blinn Designs Rack; Mapleshade Platform; KLAUDiO RCM.

I received the S/5 SHO, unpacked and placed it, and got it dialed in using the old standby: Ballad of the Runaway Horse from Jennifer Warnes’ Famous Blue Raincoat. The sub is seamlessly integrated and does not draw attention to itself, and the depth of all aspects of the music is increased in a completely natural way. Then I played the live version of Joan of Arc. Oh my. Not only is the midrange and Jennifer’s voice richer and the bass much deeper than from my Harbeths alone, the soundstage and sense of the concert hall was mesmerizing. I was transported to another place. You really can’t ask for more than that.
    A properly set up sub can certainly do wonders. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
    Everest Audio
    www.everestaudio.com
    Facebook

bel canto, Hegel, Vimberg, Opera, MoFi, Acoustic Energy, JL Audio, Innuos, Vertere, Meze Audio, Origin Live, GutWire, Wireworld, Furutech, IsoAcoustics and more

Very nice Moby, great decision. It’s a superb sub.

Curious where do you guys have your subwoofer placed ? Per REL, are they near the corner or are they close to the speakers ? is there any tips to determine their initial placement ?

I have an odd L shaped room where I sit fairly close to the speakers - 7 or 8 feet on the diagonal to each. There is really no corner to place the sub in - there is a fireplace on a diagonal where the corner would be. So you work with what you’ve got, and I put the sub next to and parallel to my left speaker, a few inches from the base of the fireplace (which is gas and raised about 3 feet off the floor). So it probably violates every rule of sub placement, but it sounds great anyway.

I have an odd L shaped room where I sit fairly close to the speakers - 7 or 8 feet on the diagonal to each. There is really no corner to place the sub in - there is a fireplace on a diagonal where the corner would be. So you work with what you’ve got, and I put the sub next to and parallel to my left speaker, a few inches from the base of the fireplace (which is gas and raised about 3 feet off the floor). So it probably violates every rule of sub placement, but it sounds great anyway.
    Thanks. As long as it sounds good to your ears, that's the only thing that matters :-) I bought a pair of S/5 couple of months back and still experimenting with the placement and tuning. Between, if you got a single sub, you really need to get a pair.

I thought about a second sub but due to the odd shape of the room and the placement of furniture the placement of the second sub would be even worse than the first. I’m going to live with things as they are for a while and will only experiment with a second sub if absolutely necessary. I honestly don’t think it will be necessary and, as I said, it sounds great now as is.

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Curious where do you guys have your subwoofer placed ? Per REL, are they near the corner or are they close to the speakers ? is there any tips to determine their initial placement ?
    In their manual REL are offering placement quidance.

For mine as a quick place & then adjust,... I always put my subs inside the speaker in a new room.

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Thanks. As long as it sounds good to your ears, that's the only thing that matters :-) I bought a pair of S/5 couple of months back and still experimenting with the placement and tuning. Between, if you got a single sub, you really need to get a pair.
    I just spent 2 hours streaming Tidal (HiFi, not MQA) and I've got to say, with all due respect, that with my system in my room the one S/5 is great and the idea that I need a pair is nonsense. Among other artists, I listened to Bettye Lavette, Mavis Staples, Mark Knopfler, Steve Earle and Guy Clark - all of them live. The sense of place, of being there, and the soundstage was astounding. The room was well pressurized and the bass and kick drum were taught and impactful. Clark's solo miked acoustic guitar on "Dublin Blues" was astonishing. Yeah, it sounds good to my ears and, since I listen to and play live music a lot, I'd argue that my ears are pretty damn good. So cheers to the S/5 and the rest of my system, I'm extremely happy.

Thats great. Congrats!!!!!

If you ever get a chance tho - listen to 2 subs in your system. Again - it's not about the bass level. Just as you found adding 1 sub did, to the soundstage, depth, mids you will find the same with 2 - one for each channel.

I just spent 2 hours streaming Tidal (HiFi, not MQA) and I've got to say, with all due respect, that with my system in my room the one S/5 is great and the idea that I need a pair is nonsense. Among other artists, I listened to Bettye Lavette, Mavis Staples, Mark Knopfler, Steve Earle and Guy Clark - all of them live. The sense of place, of being there, and the soundstage was astounding. The room was well pressurized and the bass and kick drum were taught and impactful. Clark's solo miked acoustic guitar on "Dublin Blues" was astonishing. Yeah, it sounds good to my ears and, since I listen to and play live music a lot, I'd argue that my ears are pretty damn good. So cheers to the S/5 and the rest of my system, I'm extremely happy.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

I’ve swapped out the original 10 meter cable that came with the REL with a 4 meter Kimber Kable REL CU Subwoofer Cable and could immediately notice the difference - deeper more powerful bass, faster response, better integration. Now some of this may be due to a shorter cable run and better soldered connectors at the amp end, but I’m sure some of this is due to the cable itself. The difference was so noticeable that I will recalibrate the subwoofer tomorrow by first adjusting the crossover on the REL and then, if necessary, adjusting the volume pot on the REL. I know some might put this down to a placebo effect but all I know is that there is an improvement and it’s not subtle.

Here's my system with the REL S/5 SHO incorporated:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's my system with the REL S/5 SHO incorporated:
    Is it just me or two speakers aren’t placed symmetrically?
    Nice system, BTW. It looks like somewhere I just want to sit and relax with a book while listening to music.

You’re correct, the speakers aren’t placed symmetrically - I spent hours adjusting them for distance from the front wall, distance from each other, and toe-in to lock the soundstage and bass in from the prime listening position on the couch. I have an odd L shaped room (which is another component to deal with in the system) so the seemingly odd set up is in part an adjustment for that.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team