REL S5 SHO under way, exciting... - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: REL S5 SHO under way, exciting...

Mike, may I ask for a little help: where does your sub cross over with the RELs and M3s?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Big rig: Vpi Prime with Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze MC/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H/ Curious USB/ Meitner MA-1/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Ayre VX-5 Twenty/ WyWires Platinum IC+speaker+power cables/ Magico S3/ Shunyata Triton+AlphaHC/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 3PSR2/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom HD+3.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Audirvana/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Charleston Cable Company Cardas Custom/ Sennheiser HD800/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ AudioTekne Blue.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

REL S5 SHO under way, exciting...

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Mike, may I ask for a little help: where does your sub cross over with the RELs and M3s?

I've been experimenting and right now, I'm at 24hz, +7. I'm listening for excessive "chestiness" in vocals and some acoustic guitar which can almost sound like someone is talking into a wall or playing too close to a wall. But I don't want a suck out or a dryness in the vocals either. It's a delicate balance. I will also add, that sub placement has a lot to do with it. I've been experimenting and I do not like the subs near the front wall at all. I want them closer to the main speakers. Right now, for timing and sonics, they are just outside the mains and set back a little (a few inches).

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: AAvik Electronics, Aurender, Ansuz Cables, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, Crystal Cable, Dali Loudspeakers, Entreq, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers, Focal Headphones, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, KEF, Kimber Kable, KLAudio, KR Audio, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Magico Loudspeakers, Manley Labs, Melco Audio, MicroMega, M2Tech, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PlayBack Designs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Raidho Loudspeakers, Rega Turntables, REL Acoustics, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Small Green Computer Company, Solid Tech Racks, Sonoma Acoustics, SOtM, SRA, Straight Wire, Stillpoints, T+A, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Vandersteen Speakers, Vicoustics, Vitus Audio, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WyWyres Cables, ZYX Cartridges.

www.suncoastaudio.com
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

3. Thanks Kuoppis, Toomey thanked for this post
    Likes Kuoppis, CharlesL, the professor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

REL S5 SHO under way, exciting...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I've been experimenting and right now, I'm at 24hz, +7. I'm listening for excessive "chestiness" in vocals and some acoustic guitar which can almost sound like someone is talking into a wall or playing too close to a wall. But I don't want a suck out or a dryness in the vocals either. It's a delicate balance. I will also add, that sub placement has a lot to do with it. I've been experimenting and I do not like the subs near the front wall at all. I want them closer to the main speakers. Right now, for timing and sonics, they are just outside the mains and set back a little (a few inches).

Thanks Mike for sharing your insights, greatly appreciated.

Outstanding demo setup, phantastic!

Big rig: Vpi Prime with Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze MC/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H/ Curious USB/ Meitner MA-1/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Ayre VX-5 Twenty/ WyWires Platinum IC+speaker+power cables/ Magico S3/ Shunyata Triton+AlphaHC/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 3PSR2/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom HD+3.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Audirvana/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Charleston Cable Company Cardas Custom/ Sennheiser HD800/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ AudioTekne Blue.

5. Thanks Mike thanked for this post
    Likes Mike, CharlesL liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, over the years I have found with the Torus from one side of the speaker to the other makes a huge difference. Everything is very room dependent. Your mention about the subs being closer to the front wall is a very good one as I too have found that if I put the subs anywhere within 3 ft of a front wall that hasn't been treated, I have to adjust them right down to the low 20's which does affect the mid range. This too detracts that last 5%. You'd be hard pressed to find better music than Tracey Chapman to set the room up, she is one of my go to's.

7. Thanks Mike thanked for this post
    Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sub bass experience anyone?

9. Thanks kzhtoo, Toomey thanked for this post
    Likes kzhtoo liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2