First new toy of 2017 - Musical Paradise MP-D2 - Page 8
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First new toy of 2017 - Musical Paradise MP-D2

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I already give my blessing. This is a killer deal. You do not have to upgrade like I did and even the basic model will get you in the door. Jack can help with upgrades. All the tubes and caps are a tube/cap rollers wet dream.

I am serious about how wonderful it sounds. It will do DSD through the USB input and you can upgrade in stages.
    Joe, did you do any other modding than the upgrades you indicated in the order configuration?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Big rig: Vpi Prime with Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze MC/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H/ Curious USB/ Meitner MA-1/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Ayre VX-5 Twenty/ WyWires Platinum IC+speaker+power cables/ Magico S3/ Shunyata Triton+AlphaHC/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 3PSR2/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom HD+3.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Audirvana/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Charleston Cable Company Cardas Custom/ Sennheiser HD800/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ AudioTekne Blue.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

No, I just picked all the options from the order page and maxed it out. Delivered it was $1400 with the initial sale savings. I'm using mine balanced. I could have easily saved more and used my own tubes to upgrade and then add the caps later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Joe, did you do any other modding than the upgrades you indicated in the order configuration?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Joe

JOB 250 Monoblocks, Job INTegrated, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Falcon LS3/5a, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Lumin U1.

3. Likes Kuoppis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You know a product is good when you can buy it on Amazon.

I don't see any way to add upgrade options here:

https://www.amazon.com/Musical-Parad...re-bullets-btf

Joe, Am I interpreting the pictures correctly? It seems like the caps are installed on some kind of binding post and could easily be swapped.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Buying direct from Musical Paradise seems a little less expensive and you can add options. I saw that Amazon ad when I saw the sale for the MP-D2. The sale price was not reflected in the Amazon listing. I'm really loving mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    You know a product is good when you can buy it on Amazon.

I don't see any way to add upgrade options here:

https://www.amazon.com/Musical-Parad...re-bullets-btf
    Joe

JOB 250 Monoblocks, Job INTegrated, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Falcon LS3/5a, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Lumin U1.

Post Thanks / Like

Dizzie

It is a binding post system for the caps.

I'm sure Garry does Amazon for the same reason as KEF, PS Audio and others. The exposure they get there is much cheaper than the magazines and they pay Amazon when an item actually sells. Plus some people think buying through Amazon is like a security blanket.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Marantz HD-CD1, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery, Aqua La Voce S2, Musical Paradise MP-D2, Modwright LS-100 with tube phono board, PS Audio BHK 250, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, PC's -Neotech & Triode Wire Lab, IC's & SC's- Audio Sensibility Testament, (2) Blue Circle PLC FX-2's with BC-62 PC's, PI Audio Uberbuss

Family Room - Oppo 83SE, Auralic Aries Mini w/LPS, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Oppo Sonica, Nord One Up SI, Spatial M3 Turbo S, (2) ACI Force XL's, Cables- Wireworld & Cullen Cable, SurgeX SA-1810

7. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Any update Joe?
    Tannoy Westminster GR and ST-200 Supertweeter, Finale Audio 300B Mono's, Thoress Full Function Preamp, Thoress 845 Mono's, Found Music 2A3 Mono's, , Line Magnetic 219IA, Lumin A1, Lumin U1, EMM Labs DAC-2X, Lampizator Golden Atlantic DAC, Sansui TU-717, Kenwood KT-7500, Belden 8402 IC's, Duelund 16GA speaker wire

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It's an absolutely wonderful dac. Auto switching for DSD and PCM. Sounds even better than when I first hooked it up. OMG! MQA files played through the Tidal desktop app via the USB port is amazing. I think we have had a few members place an order for theirs, I hope they speak up. It's really a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurs View Post
    Any update Joe?
    Last edited by joeinid; January 10, 2017 at 08:46 PM.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    It's an absolutely wonderful dac. Auto switching for DSD and PCM. Sounds even better than when I first hooked it up. OMG! MQA files played through the Tidal desktop app via the USB port is amazing. I think we have had a few members place an order for theirs, I hope they speak up. It's really a game changer.
    I got mine yesterday evening. Still burning in; about 12 hrs. I left it on overnight.
    When I first fired her up, she was fairly rough with the channels out of balance and with an edge to the highs. Its starting to mellow out presently. I ordered my MP-D2 with the stock tubes. Just out of curiousity, I rolled in an old stock Westinghouse 5R4; didn't sound much different than the stock tube. Hard to tell now as I'm sure the caps are still going through their changes too. I suspect that the output tubes will have more impact on SQ.

The first effects I noticed were the greater detail, greater extension and more distinct separation/imaging vs. my modded MHDT Constantine. It needs more hours before I can come to an overall conclusion but so far so good. The sound seems to be changing as I write. Its tempting to go ahead and order replacement output tubes so that I'm using this burn in time to break in some of the more highly rated tubes. Maybe I'll order a quality rectifier at the same time. I bet this DAC will present big classical works well.

11. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

~ 40 hrs. on the clock and she's opening up with the imaging locking in more. The MP-D2 fills the room much more than my reference DAC. A more enveloping soundstage to be sure. Played Alison Krauss and Union Station Live 2002 last night and it almost brought tears to my eyes. A truly great live recording. The proverbial Veil of Maya has been lifted another notch. The MP-d2 is big, bold and colorful.&nbsp;<br>

Listening to Bill Evans -Complete Village Recordings presently and I'm hearing more of everything. I've always wondered about the placement of the drum set in relation to the bass. It sounds like the bass is to the left and the drums are also on the left but slightly more towards center stage and back a bit. The bass,of course, is more difficult to localize but Scot LaFaro plays in the upper registers quite a bit. I'd like to get a higher rez version for comparison. Just doing
    PCM 44.1 kHz here.
    Has anybody tried bypassing the output caps yet?
    I have a couple well burned in 0.1uf Russian teflons on my MHDT that I tempted to try on the MP-D2. Now I'm trying to decide which output tubes to roll in first.<br>&nbsp; &nbsp;
    The MP-D2 is a keeper but my opinion is probably not as well informed compared to others on this forum who have owned/auditioned many more quality DACs.

EEEK....I truly hate the timing out function and the 10 posts before allowed links that threw a wrench into this post.

...Roy

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Roy,

Thank you so much for the input and validation. It is a remarkable dac and performs amazingly well. I love mine.
    Joe

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast