Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Super Moderator

Re: First new toy of 2017 - Musical Paradise MP-D2

Thank you, can't wait to see what's up your sleeve
    Last edited by joeinid; January 20, 2017 at 12:05 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

What are folks using for the source to the MP-D2 ? I run all Linux system, so it will be good to know if there is any known compatibility problem.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Thank you, can't wait to see what's up your sleeve
    Joe, have you tried the MP-D2 with the Nord NC500 amplifiers?

I'm currently using a Lindemann Musicbook 10 DAC/Pre directly connected to a pair of Nords 500 amps (using the SI 994 Opamps) to Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinum Speakers.

I'm tempted to buy the MP-D2 and connect it directly to the Nords (using software volume control), as an attempt to gain warmth, texture, etc.

Do you think this makes sense?

Cheers,
    Sebastian

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Sebastian.

I have not tried the Nords with the MP-D2 yet, but I always prefer a preamp in the mix. No matter what, a preamp adds something to the mix that I enjoy hearing. A little extra bloom, warmth, air, 3D, etc.

I will say that the MP-D2 is amazing, and for the money an incredible bargain. My thought that with a tube or warm solid state preamp, the MP-D2 and the Nords with the 994 op amps, will make an incredible combo. Musicality in spades with tight bass control.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Sebastian

I used the MP-D2 with the Nord for several months, but always had a preamp in between.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Just ordered one of these Dr. Frankenstein looking rectifiers. It received a very good rating on Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison. Should be here in about a week. $75 + shipping + separately ordered adapter `$20. Will compare it to vintage RCA 5r4 GY.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Sebastian

I used the MP-D2 with the Nord for several months, but always had a preamp in between.
    Thanks Joe and Jack!

My Lindemann Musicbook 10 has SE preamp capabilities. It has a very good analog volume control and, because it was designed to feed Lindemann Class D monoblocks, I would say its voicing is on the warm side.

That being said, and based on my current restricted budget, I could decide between these options, what do you think?

1 - Buy the MP-D2 and connect it directly or through the Lindemann preamp and see if I like it.

2 - Buy a good preamp that tonaly complements with the Nords and my speakers, use the Lindemann as DAC, and see if I like it.

Cheers,
    Sebastian

Enviado desde mi SM-G925F mediante Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Lot of DACs up-sample internally to higher sample rate - the AK4490 does 256x over sampling. Depending on the internal clock and its placement relative to the DAC chip, this may or may be optimal. If you up-sample it in the software, like the HQPlayer then the up-sampling is done twice. You loose the benefit of filters/modulators applied in the s/w and you are limited to what the DAC provides you. The bypass mode enables the DAC to bypass the internal up-sampling/processing and couple the input to the DAC's output stage. This is the cleanest signal path a DAC can provide. When in this mode, you would up-sample to DSD256 in your software and choose filters/modulators to fit your taste.

I have sent a mail to them couple of mins back and will post back what they reply.
    Hey Devg. Did you happen to get an answer on this? Would it make make sense to have a dedicated DSD256 up-sampling computer in front of this DAC? Also, did the special pricing you were mentioning go anywhere?

Thanks!

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum pdg540, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Welcome to the forum pdg540, thank you for joining.
    Thank you and very much a pleasure to be here! I'm looking at this dac and the feedback on it and it's got me intrigued.....

My current system and what brings me here: Devialet 220pro integrated. Recently switched to a pair of Audio Note AN-e speakers. The Devialet/AN combo is amazing to me but I couldn't help myself on all the talk of Audio Note synergy so I now have an Audio Note OTO SE 10W SET integrated on the way to try out with the AN speakers. If I decide on the OTO over the Devialet, I will be needing a new DAC and streamer..... the MP-D2 looks pretty damn good

Any comments/suggestions much appreciated!

Super Moderator

I bought the MP-D2 with all the upgrades, but you don't have to do that to enjoy it. Is is simply outstanding. Killer for the money and will embarrass more expensive dacs. I have not tried its preamp section, opting to use my conventional active preamp and wow, the dac is great. Open, airy, 3D, sweet but not too sweet, and ballsy with wonderful vocals. For me and others who have it, it's a no brainer.
    Last edited by joeinid; March 7, 2017 at 03:30 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Very assuring. Thanks again. Side note: I couldn't see any warranty info on the website (I'm in Canada). Is there any warranty? Sorry if this has been covered.

Hopefully I can be offering my experience with this guy very soon

Super Moderator

I am sure there's a warranty but can not find any info on it. I never thought to look but I was all over he website looking for it and nothing. May have to send an email or inquiry about it.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by pdg540 View Post
    Hey Devg. Did you happen to get an answer on this? Would it make make sense to have a dedicated DSD256 up-sampling computer in front of this DAC? Also, did the special pricing you were mentioning go anywhere?

Thanks!
    the dedicated music server doing up-sampling to DSD256 can be a good option. The DAC doesn't have the SRC, so there is no up-sampling happening within. But try it first without (i.e native sample rate) and see if you like it or not. This DAC uses Crystek clocks and should be very good starting point. As other have already noted, at this price point its a steal and gives you enough options to roll tubes/caps to tune the sound to your liking, if you ever wanted that way.

I am sure there's a warranty but can not find any info on it. I never thought to look but I was all over he website looking for it and nothing. May have to send an email or inquiry about it.
    There is a out right 7 day return , but if you can find the warranty info that would be nice. I looking at this unit really close Joe just for the fun of tube rolling.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Super Moderator

You can roll the tubes AND caps, which makes it very unique.

Here is the contact page. http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/...mation/contact

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Joe. You had Lumin ?. As compared to your new DAC Paradise
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

I do not see in the list of options, to be able to choose the voltage 125 volt or 230 volt
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Super Moderator

They are way different price points. The Lumin will beat the MP-D2 on features and but will be more expensive. The MP-D2 will hold it's own but ultimately, the Lumin, IMO, is better.

It's not a fair comparison but the MP-D2 being a tube dac, sounds great and is priced $1000-1400. If you can't afford the Lumin, then that's your answer.

As for voltage, you may have to contact them. I would assume it would be set correctly for the destination country but I would like to be sure first.

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    Hi Joe. You had Lumin ?. As compared to your new DAC Paradise
    Last edited by joeinid; March 10, 2017 at 11:29 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Anybody using DSD with their MP-D2?

Super Moderator

DSD with the MP-D2 is wonderful. No issues here and sounds great as long as the DSD files are great. Not all files are created equally.

Quote Originally Posted by allears View Post
    Anybody using DSD with their MP-D2?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Re: First new toy of 2017 - Estimated Delivery: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 By End of Day

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    It was the Teac UD-501 which was a BurrBrown if I am remembering correctly.
    I currently own the teac ud301 which is the 501 little brother with the same chip and have been looking at this amp. How much of a difference is it sonically and how is it different. I play mostly classic rock, 90's alternative, and 80's synth pop. Your perspective would be greatly appreciated as the teac is the only standalone dac ive ever used in my audio system. Thanks

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

First new toy of 2017 - Musical Paradise MP-D2