Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Audioshark

Re: Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS BALANCED DAC DSD DOP 384Khz

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    Mike this is exactly why I bought a PS Audio Directstream. This DAC has stood the test of time and has been upgradedable all along the way.
    Indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That sucks Marty. I stay away from these types of products (direct). So many are over rated like the Schitt stuff, half baked and not fully vetted by a dealer. Had the latest Yggy. Meh. I honestly thought the little Chord Qutest with the right filter selected sounded better for less $.

Hopefully all will work out.

And this is why with these multitudes of DACS, I 've been looking at a product like PS Audio for my next DAC.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Marty

Sorry you are having the pop issue when changing between PCM and DSD though that seems to be an issue with many DACs on the market. There are multiple people on the PS Audio forum that have been complaining about it for some time though it doesn't seem to be the case with everyone changing formats within Playlists and seems to change from firmware to firmware so who knows what's the cause. There are dozens of people using the MP on CA so you might want to check in there. Also I am not really sure how much Garry has to do with the design or manufacturing of the MP products. I think in reality he is much like Rachel at Grant Fidelity or Alvin at Vinshine. As to the missing boards when you are dealing with Canada Post through Customs to the USPS there is no telling where they are or if they will eventually just show up out of the blue. I have had more than one order from Parts Connexion that dropped of the Postal radar and then showed up for no reason long after expected delivery date.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I agree with all the comments on PSA DS Dac - a great DAC to be had with free firmware upgrades that turns an old DAC into a new one

The nasty pops during DSD playback are largely due to the DSD over PCM (DoP) protocol.
    There can be other reasons but if it is due to DoP then it's on the AKM chip and the Aurender software.

For software side settings try setting a "Time Delay" of 3-4 secs in Aurender
    This might be needed for your DAC to adjust for changes in sample rate.

Another option could be to convert DSD to PCM

Hope this helps.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post
    The nasty pops during DSD playback are largely due to the DSD over PCM (DoP) protocol.
    There can be other reasons but if it is due to DoP then it's on the AKM chip and the Aurender software.

For software side settings try setting a "Time Delay" of 3-4 secs in Aurender
    This might be needed for your DAC to adjust for changes in sample rate.

Another option could be to convert DSD to PCM

Hope this helps.
    Also some users of DSD are encountering POPs with Lunix and also reports of the Amanero USB receiver firmware which is resident in a lot of DACs as a possible culprit.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Also some users of DSD are encountering POPs with Lunix and also reports of the Amanero USB receiver firmware which is resident in a lot of DACs as a possible culprit.
    Based on the driver zip file on www.musicalparadise.ca the DAC seems to be using XMOS.

Dan from Modwright is offering mods to the MP DAC

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=158758.0

Here is a review of a guy that had his modded-

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.ph...902#msg1695902
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

I have the mp-d2 mkI with akm4490 and love the sound, here's my question. I plan on getting the mkIII when it comes out, gary prefers the ess9038pro, i'm thinking that if i love the sound of the 4490 then i should love the 4497.
    what are your thoughts 4497 or 9038pro?

Quote Originally Posted by marvda1 View Post
    I have the mp-d2 mkI with akm4490 and love the sound, here's my question. I plan on getting the mkIII when it comes out, gary prefers the ess9038pro, i'm thinking that if i love the sound of the 4490 then i should love the 4497.
    what are your thoughts 4497 or 9038pro?
    It all depends on the implantation of the the total DAC design, not just a chip.
    One DAC deisgner wrote this: "Based on what I know on both the ESS 9038 pro, and the AKM4497, the better chip will be based on the application. Also on personal tastes. The ESS chip has several technological advances to clean up jitter, and make it more immune to dirty power, board layouts and all of that. It also has the ability to customize the filters. It's also a much better performer technically. It's a more advanced chip, and it's going to cost several times the price of the AK4497.

The AK4497 has a 1Bit DSD bypass mode. So if used with an external upsampling engine such as HQplayer, it has the advantage of being able to bypass the internal SDM/SRC algorithms. AKM has also put much more effort in making filters that sound more natural and tube like. The "Velvet sound" filters. Based on hearing the AK4490 in a very good implementation, they do sound very nice. "

Also Esoteric uses the AKM chip in the D-02x. AK4399, https://www.akm.com/akm/en/product/f...ices/esoteric/

IMO, you will have to buy both and find out which one you like more in your system, if there is way to return the one you don't like.

Between, I am also very interested in the mkIII model when it comes out. Anybody knows on the timeline ?

i was told sept.

I would stick with what you know and the chip family the DAC was designed around.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Musical Paradise MP-D2 AK4490 XMOS BALANCED DAC DSD DOP 384Khz