Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Wired4Sound PS-1 Linear Power Supply

I have been thinking about upgrading from the cheap wallwart power supplies that a few of my components have to a linear power supply. I came across the Wired4sound (W4S) ps-1 linear power supply that they are just releasing. It can power up to 4 devices and each one can be adjusted from 5, 9, 12 or 15 volts with a switch on each module. A very flexible power supply and it appears to be well made.

Unfortunately it doesn't have 18v which my Moon 110lp requires so I contacted W4S and they said they had many requests for the higher voltage and that they will likely be producing them at a later date. So I thought what the heck, they are having a sale with one free module and the one included so why not. I ordered an extra module so that I can power 3 devices and left one slot empty for hopefully the future one for the 110lp. Happy early Christmas to me.

https://wyred4sound.com/products/upg...r-power-supply

It just occurred to me that perhaps I can connect the output of two 9v modules in series to get the 18v. I emailed w4s to see if this is possible with some kind of y connector. If so, it would be cheaper than designing a new module that supports 18v.

Main 2ch/HT:Acoustat 2+2,Axiom EP500,Ray Lumley M-100, Bedini BA-803,Threshold T3,JRDG Consumate Phono, Lenco L75, ZYX Universe cart,Oppo BDP 95(transport), Calyx Femto DAC,Bryston BDP-2,Pioneer F-91 tuner,Studer A807 r2r,Consonance d-Linear15 power filter, DVDO Matrix 4x4,Mitsubishi HC-5 projector, Audience Au24e and LectraLine Xe cables,Cullen Power Distribution Box with upgraded cable
    Bedroom 2ch/HT:Tetra 406, Forte model2pre,Forte model3amp,TeacUD503,Faroudja DV1000,PioneerCLD-97 ld player,Thorens TD-146,PioneerTX-9800,Mitsubishi HC5 projector,Tetra Artet cables

Re: Wired4Sound PS-1 Linear Power Supply

Anything that W4S makes, speaks quality. I am sure its a great power supply. However, I am unclear when they say in the spec "Supports devices up to 1.2A". Is that the limit per module or for the whole unit ? If per module, then if I load only one, should I get more out of it ? Perhaps you should take all these into consideration when powering multiple devices - just a thought...

Since each module is independent of the other I assume they meant that each can draw a max of 1.2A. However, one might think that each module can handle a certain amount of watts so that the lower the voltage setting the higher the max current one could draw. I am not sure how the modules are regulated.

Albert

Try sending Tony a PM and have him or EJ come on and explain it. Send the PM to member Wyred4Sound.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Tony sent me a reply to my question and I gave him a link to this thread.

He said that the modules output can not be summed as there is a grounding problem in doing that so I can't just sum two 9v modules to make 18v. He said that they could make a module for 18v and it would just show as 15v on the front. That would be okay for me to power my Moon 110lp phono amp.

Tony also said that each module can output up to 1.2A so powering multiple devices should not be a problem. He responded to my questions very quickly, very good customer service.
    Main 2ch/HT:Acoustat 2+2,Axiom EP500,Ray Lumley M-100, Bedini BA-803,Threshold T3,JRDG Consumate Phono, Lenco L75, ZYX Universe cart,Oppo BDP 95(transport), Calyx Femto DAC,Bryston BDP-2,Pioneer F-91 tuner,Studer A807 r2r,Consonance d-Linear15 power filter, DVDO Matrix 4x4,Mitsubishi HC-5 projector, Audience Au24e and LectraLine Xe cables,Cullen Power Distribution Box with upgraded cable
    Bedroom 2ch/HT:Tetra 406, Forte model2pre,Forte model3amp,TeacUD503,Faroudja DV1000,PioneerCLD-97 ld player,Thorens TD-146,PioneerTX-9800,Mitsubishi HC5 projector,Tetra Artet cables

I received my W4S ps-1 yesterday and it is a very well made unit. It also looks very nice, I like the design. I hooked it up to three devices today, replacing their cheap wallwort ps. They are a W4S Recovery, Darby Darblett and a Stream Team tv box. Even though two of the devices are for video, their switching power supplies may still be adding noise into the system. I haven't listened to it much yet (I just hooked it up a half hour ago) but I will be evaluating over the holidays and I will post my impressions.

I mainly bought the ps-1 to replace the switching power supply on my Moon 110lp phono amp but it needs 18v. I contacted W4S and they said that they could make one up for me as quite a few others have also requested the higher voltage modules. I left the fourth bay open for this future module. The ps-1 is a very flexible unit. Here are a couple of pics of it in my system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wickedly clever design.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Wired4Sound PS-1 Linear Power Supply