Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Turntables - fall from grace?

We keep reading how vinyl is making great strides in terms of new sales. Turntable sales are up. People are loving vinyl.

But has this new love transferred over to high end audio?

As I looked for a turntable brand to position between VPI/Rega and Kronos, I kept running into great high end brands that looked to be on their last legs or others that were "here today, gone tomorrow".

A few examples: SME and Avid. I absolutely LOVE both these products. But....

Even AMG was all the rage 2 years ago and now it seems a little quiet.

And let me clarify for the record, these are ALL great products, great companies, but they aren't talked about very much any more.

Why? What gives?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Turntables - fall from grace?

Avid has been making some noise recently with their good-better-best story. They were also an alternative under consideration when I bought my current 'table.

The interesting thing about the boom is, that there are a lot of hipsters buying vinyls, but they never listen to them...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

how much real "technology" is in turntables - I'd think the project cycles are longer as a result.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    how much real "technology" is in turntables - I'd think the project cycles are longer as a result.
    Good question. Do you think some (SME perhaps?) became complacent? I can't recall the last time I saw something new from SME. But, maybe I'm mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

You don't need a new model every year or so for any hifi company to be relevant or still not cutting edge. thankfully not all hifi companies follow the ARC sales model, even thou Magico is giving it a nice tilt.
    It does seem that some audiophiles are addicted to new is better - but is it really?

SME have never produced many new models - the SME 30/20/10 are long established and have only ever had a mk2 version in over 30 years for the 30, however they have tweaked their models and tonearms, but not a lot. They have been in business along time and all the products are made to last forever and have superb engineering behind them.

AVID have also been around a long time and not releasing new models on a regular basis should not been seen as a weakness.

The British have always been known to maintain their model line ups for a long time and only really bring out new models when they feel its justified in better sound quality.

AMG might have been the rage a couple of years ago, but when you are basically copying Brinkman tables I guess they have reached a limit in their expertise. Brinkman are never the "hot " brand however that is the basis of AMG and arguable better sounding in the long run as they have been in business a long time.

My TW Acustik table was the darling of the table market maybe 6-7 years ago. Thomas brought out his top of range Black Beauty maybe 5 years ago as well as a tonearm. These days TW gets no "buzz" from the press or audiophiles.

Turntables to be frank have not improved much from the SOTA tables of the late 70's early 80's. There are still folks who believe the Micro Seiki 8000 sounds better than the AF1. Many including myself use vintage Japanese DD tables as they sound so bloody good compared to the same price competition today.

Tonearms and cartridges have seemed to have improved in the past 40 years it would seem, even thou I am sure there can be debate on that as well.

Outside of more innovation on tangential tracking as that solves the inherent tracking errors on ALL other tonearms, all we are talking about is different flavours and more exotic high priced tables overall. IMO
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Good question. Do you think some (SME perhaps?) became complacent? I can't recall the last time I saw something new from SME. But, maybe I'm mistaken.

I think there are two basic types of innovation in this kind of products a) new principles, materials and b) trickle down into lower price points.

For a) I have recently seen
    - Kronos with a new implementation of the counter rotation principle
    - VPI with the printed JWD tonearm
    - double barrel Thales tonearm recently discussed here
    - a minor innovation using carbon in tonearms by some
    - levitating platter by no idea whom (crowd financing project)
    - retrofittable external motor control, electricity rebuild and gyroscope, such as the Eagle Engineering PSU and Roadrunner combination
    - DS Audio DS-W1 "Night Rider" optical phono cartridge
    - cartridges going through a little of the unobtanium material cycles as seen in tweeter membranes
    - Magnetosolid phono pre by Grandinote with tube architecture realised with transistors

For b) I have recently seen
    - Inclusion of motor control and electricity re-build even in the lowest end Avid models, i.e. now even in Diva II
    - trickle down of HRX platter, bearing and motor into Prime by VPI

But overall real innovation has been rather limited, as the focus has been elsewhere and phono was like long considered to be dying.

As my insights are limited, please kindly extend the list with things you have found.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

I would buy a pioneer exclusive p3 for sale in Germany right now but I need help from someone who can be my translater !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We keep reading how vinyl is making great strides in terms of new sales. Turntable sales are up. People are loving vinyl.

As I looked for a turntable brand to position between VPI/Rega and Kronos, I kept running into great high end brands that looked to be on their last legs or others that were "here today, gone tomorrow".

And let me clarify for the record, these are ALL great products, great companies, but they aren't talked about very much any more.

Why? What gives?
    Maybe that new love is not in the high end audio focus at this time and these manufacturers noted are instead looking towards introducing a nice performing TT for the newbies as a first time purchase or an upgrade at an attractive price. Sometimes you solidify your base line to help fund your higher lines.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audiophiles are a fickle group and many chase fads and whatever is reported to be the latest and greatest. You have to be able to differentiate products that are new vice being new and innovative in a meaningful way.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I cannot add much to what has already been said but if you´re looking to expand the portfolio, Kuzma, Dr.Feickert, Brinkmann, Acoustic Signature (well regarded by Fremer) come to mind. All of them are highly thought of both in the audio forum ecosystem and in the press. Vinyl is here to stay:

http://thevinylfactory.com/vinyl-fac...uge-expansion/

Mike.......Innovation is not synonymous with improvement. The claim to being innovative often creates the impression that improvements are a natural part of a design change but changes and alterations are not necessarily advancements in performance. When it comes to generating sales and cash flow, the primary driving force for company health, something as novel as altering appearance can be hailed as a performance break through, especially once the advertising department gets finished with the ad, when in fact it was simply an aesthetic alteration that took place. A new look can trigger sales as quickly as a genuine performance enhancement. This is evident in many turntables, particularly entry and mid level ones. One look at Pro-Ject and Rega turntables among others is all it takes to see how slight alterations in appearance drive pricing without truly raising the performance bar from model to model. This changes, of course, with their top models.

I don't think it is paramount that a high-end store display a wide selection of premium high-end turntables but the showrooms should include at least two high quality turntable/tonearm rigs to set a benchmark for what can be achieved. You will still need to cater to newbee's and hipsters at some level so that everyone has an opportunity to have there desires met within specific budgets. These turntables are only used as an example, but something like a Clearaudio Innovation and Avid Acutus to audition, plus a several entry level turntables from the same companies or others would provide a sufficient selection. Having your line card provide access to other manufacturer's turntables, tonearms, and phono cartridges would be icing on the cake.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Mike -

IMHO, i don't think you need another line. With Rega, VPI and Kronos you have products from $1K to over $50K. Unless, you wanted to represent a line in the $100K range - e.g. Air Force level.

I do like the AMG tables and SME products are built to last forever and sound fantastic.

The question, is there a price gap you are trying to fill?

My 2 cents!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Mike -

IMHO, i don't think you need another line. With Rega, VPI and Kronos you have products from $1K to over $50K. Unless, you wanted to represent a line in the $100K range - e.g. Air Force level.

I do like the AMG tables and SME products are built to last forever and sound fantastic.

The question, is there a price gap you are trying to fill?

My 2 cents!
    Brinkmann would be cool, but I think the old man might be a bit difficult to deal with.

You could support another American company - Spiral Groove. Allen Perkins is the bees knees in every regard. I had three tables (amg v12, clearaudio innovation wood with battery supply, and SG 1.2). Based on engineering, sound, interface etc i deemed Spiral Groove the best and sold the other two. You could also add something a bit different above Rega and below the others - Luxman. Or for smaller footprint the Thales line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    You could support another American company - Spiral Groove. Allen Perkins is the bees knees in every regard. I had three tables (amg v12, clearaudio innovation wood with battery supply, and SG 1.2). Based on engineering, sound, interface etc i deemed Spiral Groove the best and sold the other two. You could also add something a bit different above Rega and below the others - Luxman. Or for smaller footprint the Thales line.

Excellent choice. Spiral Groove is a company that maintains its product line in tact - which helps it's legacy and they sound really good. They do bring out new products from time to time, that are genuinely better sounding
    Perhaps Mike could bring Spiral Groove buzz back to the hifi world
    Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika

Quote Originally Posted by XV-1 View Post
    Excellent choice. Spiral Groove is a company that maintains its product line in tact - which helps it's legacy and they sound really good. They do bring out new products from time to time, that are genuinely better sounding
    Perhaps Mike could bring Spiral Groove buzz back to the hifi world
    I am happy to make the intro if Mike wants me to.

Why? What gives?
    Major Update to AVID Acutus Reference Turntable!

http://www.tonepublications.com/indu...nce-turntable/

So, how good is the Acutus? I've heard it briefly at a dealer's, but that was too short an audition to tell.

Audioshark

Major Update to AVID Acutus Reference Turntable!

http://www.tonepublications.com/indu...nce-turntable/
    I love Avid TT's. I owned one a few years ago and still miss it.

I love Avid TT's. I owned one a few years ago and still miss it.

Interesting Jeff has heard Kronos and Avid. And bought two Avid's.

Audioshark

Here is what Jeff said about the Kronos:

"In the light of other tables from AVID, Clearaudio and SME to name a few, the Kronos is polished and up to task. I award the Kronos one of our nine Publishers Choice awards for 2012 – it remains as enjoyable to listen to as the day it arrived. Here’s to Louis Desjardins’ continued growth and success."

At this level, they are all terrific turntables.

Recently? I think the Avids are interesting, but the Kronos is currently kind of the bees knees, isn't it?

Not sure though what the impact of the latest Acutus upgrade is.

Here is what Jeff said about the Kronos:

"In the light of other tables from AVID, Clearaudio and SME to name a few, the Kronos is polished and up to task. I award the Kronos one of our nine Publishers Choice awards for 2012 – it remains as enjoyable to listen to as the day it arrived. Here’s to Louis Desjardins’ continued growth and success."

At this level, they are all terrific turntables.
    So Mike, sounds like Avid might be a good contender... Turntables - fall from grace?.

I have been to Jeff's. He loves Avid because of ease of setup and use and PRAT if I remember correctly. I heard his tables and preferred the Avid at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    I have been to Jeff's. He loves Avid because of ease of setup and use and PRAT if I remember correctly. I heard his tables and preferred the Avid at the time.

Which other tables does he have?

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Which other tables does he have?
    When I was there he has 2-3 Avids and the Kronos playing. I think he had a AMG v12 as well around that time. I remember he had big Pass Labs amps driving some beautiful European speakers and the ease and dynamics and warmth was intoxicating.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team