Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magico S3 Mk2

Re: Magico S3 Mk2

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    Give credit to Magico for constantly pushing the envelope and bringing speakers to market that outperform the older models at a cheaper price. That is what continuous improvement is all about. It's somewhat similar to computers. The technology keeps advancing and newer models always exceed the older models in performance and they are cheaper to boot. You normally never see this in audio though.
    Mark, this is scary spooky. When I was out walking my dogs this morning these were my exact thoughts. We all knew this was coming as they've done it previously. As they say there is no replacement for displacement but when the little brother comes along with a new faster innovation, well,.....drag-strips only so long huh!

Quote Originally Posted by LVB View Post
    I guess you prefer your favorite brand business model; come up with inferior products, market them as better, and laugh all the way to the bank

How did you come up with that? The S5Mk2 is 23 kg heavier, with 1/2 inch thick sidewalls.

Just because the bass drivers are improved, does not mean it is a better speaker. It does, however, looks like a lot of a speaker for $28K
    I did not make myself clear - it is the S5 mk 2 which has more substantial enclosure, not the S3 mk 2.

I have absolutely no doubts, the S5 mk 2 would outperform the S3 mk 2 when placed side by side.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post
    10/09, Jonathan Valin posts a rave review of the $89K M5:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...5-loudspeaker/

Less than two years later 8/11, he says the $60K Q5 is better:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...eaker-tas-214/

How would you feel if you were a Magico dealer with a pair of M5s in stock?

My "favorite brand," Wilson Audio has never pulled a M5/Q5 on their dealers or customers.

WA never claimed that the Yvette which just replaced the Sophia 3, which was in production for over five years, is better than the more expensive Sasha Series 2 introduced in 2014.

I have no interest in the S3 MK.II, but I'd love to hear the S1 MK.II. Unfortunately,
    there are no Magico dealers in HI.
    Well, you seem to be quite upset with something that happened 6 years ago, not to you obviously, and by some reviewer account
    I never heard a real M5 owner complain, and many disagree with JV finding.
    By comparison, Wilson Audio new models are much more expensive then his old ones and by objective accounts not nearly as good (cheaper, lower grade Scan Speak drivers than the Focal he used to use, silk dome tweeter vs. Titanium, etc). All you got to do is listen to a Maxx in comparison to the Alexia, it is a practical joke, but no Wilson fan will dare to admit it to himself, so I don't expect you to agree but the facts are all there.

All Magico products today give you better performance for the same or less money then their prior products in the same price category. That is how a healthy business model should work, only in hi-fi people will complain (and don't bring up resale value, all these products take a hit once sold used, if you are looking for investment, you should put your money elsewhere).

mauidan

Well, you seem to be quite upset with something that happened 6 years ago, not to you obviously, and by some reviewer account
    I never heard a real M5 owner complain, and many disagree with JV finding.
    By comparison, Wilson Audio new models are much more expensive then his old ones and by objective accounts not nearly as good (cheaper, lower grade Scan Speak drivers than the Focal he used to use, silk dome tweeter vs. Titanium, etc). All you got to do is listen to a Maxx in comparison to the Alexia, it is a practical joke, but no Wilson fan will dare to admit it to himself, so I don't expect you to agree but the facts are all there.

All Magico products today give you better performance for the same or less money then their prior products in the same price category. That is how a healthy business model should work, only in hi-fi people will complain (and don't bring up resale value, all these products take a hit once sold used, if you are looking for investment, you should put your money elsewhere).
    I'm not upset by the M5/Q5 affair, just pointing out some facts.

The Alexia was never intended to replace the MAXX 3.

The Magico S3 sold for $22.5K, the S3 MKII is $28K. There's pair of S3s on Agon for $12K.

I'm not upset by the M5/Q5 affair, just pointing out some facts.

The Alexia was never intended to replace the MAXX 3.

It is not the model name, it is the price point. The new S3, will surely sound better then the old S5 (~$30K price slot).
    The M3 is better then the Q5 (~$75K), etc. The Alexia is in a similar price slot as the Maxx was (~$55K), you get a lot less for you money.

The Magico S3 sold for $22.5K, the S3 MKII is $28K. There's pair of S3s on Agon for $12K.

And there's a pair of current X2 for $46K (been there for months), or a Sophia for $4K, your point?

mauidan

It is not the model name, it is the price point. The new S3, will surely sound better then the old S5 (~$30K price slot).
    The M3 is better then the Q5 (~$75K), etc. The Alexia is in a similar price slot as the Maxx was (~$55K), you get a lot less for you money. And there's a pair of current X2 for $46K (been there for months), or a Sophia for $4K, your point?
    On WA, You need to check your facts.

The MAXX 3 was $68K when the Alexia was introduced at $48.5K.

Yes, the first Sophias go for around $4-5K, 2s & 3s sell for a lot more.

The $46K X2s on Agon are upgrades.

Over and out.

On WA, You need to check your facts.
    The MAXX 3 was $68K when the Alexia was introduced at $48.5K.

Over and out.
    Sorry, I don't memorize Wilson past price catalog...
    Still, you have to pay almost twice as much today to (not even) get Wilson Maxx performance level.

Audioshark

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

You're a teaser, aren't you Magico S3 Mk2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    I did not make myself clear - it is the S5 mk 2 which has more substantial enclosure, not the S3 mk 2.

I have absolutely no doubts, the S5 mk 2 would outperform the S3 mk 2 when placed side by side.
    I am not so sure ....

Quote Originally Posted by piotr View Post
    I am not so sure ....
    I'm with Adam on this one. When the S3 came out, yes I thought the midrange in and of itself sounded better than the S5 Mk1, but I thought the S5 was the better sounding speaker overall as it sounded better balanced and had better bass foundations. The S5's also went audibly deeper into the sub-bass region. This time the S3 Mk2's 9's are using a superior cone material, and should be a bit faster & more transparent than the S5 Mk2's 10's. But you can't replace pure physics; the S5 Mk2's dual 10' bass units are equivalent to a 14.5" driver. The cabinet is also more substantial and has greater volume, allowing the S5 Mk2's to move more air & go 4Hz lower. Hence I suspect they should still be the better balanced, more 'complete' speaker. Or simply look at it from a business perspective; Why would Magico release a cheaper model speaker less than 12 months after the S5 Mk2 which sounds better? To eat into sales of the more expensive model for the next 3-4 years?

Don't forget the S5 mk 2 uses the same mid driver as the M3 - the S3 mk 2 does not.
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Don't forget the S5 mk 2 uses the same mid driver as the M-Project - the S3 mk 2 does not.
    That's true, though FYI the S5 Mk2 uses an evolved version of the MPro's 6" midrange (part no: MCG1005) which is the same as the M3 (part no: MAG6004RTC).

Quote Originally Posted by Melbguy1 View Post
    That's true, though FYI the S5 Mk2 uses an evolved version of the MPro's 6" midrange (part no: MCG1005) which is the same as the M3 (part no: MAG6004RTC).
    Yeah, you are correct.
    Adam

So, anyone knows for sure S3 mk2 midrange driver part no. M390G isn't evolved version or stripped down version of mpro or m3?

Driver specs, designations, materials, weight, size, etc all help us to come up with theories. But the bottom line is they all mean shit.

I don't doubt the new S3's will be wonderful speakers. But saying they will be better or worse than the S5's seems crazy to me when none of us has heard them.

Proof is in the listening, not speculation.

I'm not trying to negate the excitement over these new speakers from Magico, I'm ultra excited. But we all need to relax until we hear them. Predictions, bring them on. That's half the fun, but remember they are only predictions.

Acoustical Systems, AMG, Aqua Acoustic Quality, Audeze, Audio Desk, Audible illusions, Audioquest, Aurender, Bryston, CH Precision, Chord Electronics, Constellation Audio, Dynaudiol, Fyne Audio, Grado labs, Ikeda, JL Audio, Kondo, Kronos, Kubala Sosna, Lumin, Luxman, Lyra, Magico, Nordost, PS Audio, Roon, Shunyata, SME, Sugden, Tenor, Tannoy, Vertere, VPI and ZYX.

www.audiobymarkjones.ca

my S3's are in a 14x17ft room and they sound perfect to me, I was itching at a pair of S5's mkI from a seller in my area but was worried it would be to much for the room. perfectly happy with the set up. the bass at times can be a little weak but I have two rel's for back up
    burmester 088/911, rega rp6, sumiko blackbird, magio S3, rel g1's, rogers pa1a, nos telefunkens, wireworld plat. ic, sc
    chord dave, microrendu, uptone lps 1

The S3s will be PERFECT in a 14x17ft room. I wouldn't worry about the bass quantity ... they would be MORE than enough in that room. Wilson Sasha has dual 8" bass drivers and people use them in rooms twice, or even triple the size, without any problems. The S3 has dual 9" drivers - this is a LOT of surface area. Enjoy !
    Adam

The bigger woofers look quite nice, will be interesting to hear how they sound and how much of the M3 magic is conveyed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

The official press release for the S3 Mk2's has been posted on Magico's website .

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi,
    Anyone heard S3 mk2? Thanks.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Hi,
    Anyone heard S3 mk2? Thanks.
    The first pair will be mine and they are shipping real soon. Hopefully this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

My dealer (Mark Jones) was recently told my pair won't ship until late March
    Magico M2
    AMG V12 (Teatro cart)
    Lampizator Atlantic Plus DSD512
    Aesthetix Calypso Signature Preamp
    Luxman C-900u Preamp
    Auorasound VIDA (phono-stage)
    Parasound JC 1+ monos
    Aurender N100h
    Nordost Frey 2
    HRS, Rix Rax

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The first pair will be mine and they are shipping real soon. Hopefully this week.

No Mike, I will NOT take them home to see if I like them or not.
    Lets see.....Lumin....Denali...Ansuz....Chord Dave......geeez.....and your store hasn't even had its grand opening yet.
    Larry
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Dguitarnut View Post
    No Mike, I will NOT take them home to see if I like them or not.
    Lets see.....Lumin....Denali...Ansuz....Chord Dave......geeez.....and your store hasn't even had its grand opening yet.
    Larry
    Too late. Shipping has been changed to St. Petersburg FL c/o Dguitarnut".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico S3 Mk2