Building a setup...
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

Building a setup...

After contemplating for what seems like forever Iíve decided to put off building another 2ch system while over here in the desert. I have decided to build a headphone system. In the past I had Sennheiser HD600ís with a Little Dot mk2. It was a decent setup but this time Iím looking to take it up a notch.

As with everything, Iíve researched way too much and my mind has me building what seems like a million different systems. Iím looking to stay under $3,000 and of course my fingers are crossed for some good Black Friday deals.

Here is what Iíve narrowed it down to:
    Audeze LCD-X w/ Bryston BHA-1 and a Schiit Modi Multibit
    Audeze LCD-2 w/ Bryston BHA-1 and a Schiit Bifrost Multibit
    Audeze LCD-3 w/ Audeze Deckard
    Sennheiser HD850S w/ HDVA600

As you guys know the combinations are endless. Do any of you have any other suggestions? I'm having trouble deciding if I should keep the quality of DAC as close as the quality of amp. Also, because I have a two little girls and 2 cats I would prefer to stay away from tubes.

Classic rock, jazz and classical are the main genres that I listen to. Rap is probably the only thing that will never get played on this. Thanks for the help.

2. Likes La Dolce Vita liked this post
    Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Building a setup...

I would throw the Focal Utopia headphones into the mix.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: AAvik Electronics, Air Tight, Aurender, Ansuz Cables, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Chord, Crystal Cable, Dali Loudspeakers, Entreq, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers, Focal Headphones, ISO Acoustics, Kimber Kable, KLAudio, KR Audio, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Magico Loudspeakers, Manley Labs, Melco Audio, MicroMega, M2Tech, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PlayBack Designs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Raidho Loudspeakers, Rega Turntables, REL Acoustics, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, SOtM, Soulution Audio, SRA, Straight Wire, Stillpoints, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Vandersteen Speakers, Vicoustics, Vitus Audio, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, ZYX Cartridges.

www.suncoastaudio.com
    Phone: 941-932-0282

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to Mike but then I would blow my budget lol.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt_zak View Post
    I would love to Mike but then I would blow my budget lol.
    That never stopped me.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: AAvik Electronics, Air Tight, Aurender, Ansuz Cables, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Chord, Crystal Cable, Dali Loudspeakers, Entreq, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers, Focal Headphones, ISO Acoustics, Kimber Kable, KLAudio, KR Audio, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Magico Loudspeakers, Manley Labs, Melco Audio, MicroMega, M2Tech, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PlayBack Designs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Raidho Loudspeakers, Rega Turntables, REL Acoustics, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, SOtM, Soulution Audio, SRA, Straight Wire, Stillpoints, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Vandersteen Speakers, Vicoustics, Vitus Audio, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, ZYX Cartridges.

www.suncoastaudio.com
    Phone: 941-932-0282

Post Thanks / Like

I don't need the headache from my wife lol

Post Thanks / Like

The Pass HP Amp should be a blast, can drive an elephant. Auralic HP amps are also good, as well as Bakoon, Questyle and MalValve. Different amps require different HPs and you should pick depending what kind of sound you are looking for.

In terms of HPs Hifiman H1000 is very good and the Oppo PM-1 does a decent job for the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Big rig: Vpi Prime with Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner / Ortofon Cadenza Bronze MC/ Stillpoints LPI/ EAR 834 Signature/ Aurender N100H/ Cardas Clear USB/ Meitner MA-1/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Ayre VX-5 Twenty/ WyWires Platinum IC+speaker+power cables/ Magico S3/ Shunyata Triton+AlphaHC/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ HiD Fiber 1/ Cardas Clear USB/ Ayre Codex/ Rosita Maverick/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 3PSR2/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom HD+3.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Audirvana/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Charleston Cable Company Cardas Custom/ Sennheiser HD800/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ AudioTekne Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I'll look at some of those other companies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt_zak View Post
    I don't need the headache from my wife lol
    Got that right, if went out and bought $20k speakers, she would turn around and go a $60k car, and
    Chris

(2 Chl): Vincent SP-331MKII , W4S STP-SE ,Bryston BCD-1, Lumin D1, Vapor Audio Breeze, VPI Classic 1, Manley Chinook, Dynavector DV20x2L. ( computer) Win7, Synology DS413 NAS , ATI2002, Quicksilver LS, Chord Hugo,, KEf 201/2, Rythmik F12se. Cables: Acoustic Zen: GE Triton 2's, Denon4311, OPPO105., Mytek Stereo 192-DSD, exaSound e22.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you everyone for your input. I've placed an order for the Audeze LCD-XC, deckard and a wireworld starlight USB. This should give me some great tunes and I can always upgrade the DAC and amp down the road. I don't mind the heavier headphones since the longest amount of time to listen I'll have is when I work nights. That would be about 2-3hrs max.

11. Likes CPP, Ritmo liked this post