Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Isolation & the rack.

As many know recently I changed my rack to an assortment of 3 inch thick Northern Red Mahogany sleepers, commonly known as one of the most dense woods in Oz & quite up there as far as the world ratings go too. Nothing is bolted together & all sit nicely with just gravity holding them in place. In the last month I have come to the assumption that all my Stillpoints are now detracting from the sound that I have & am really enjoying the sound I now have without them. 3 months ago I would have thought poorly of someone that couldn't hear the benefit's of these devices, now, in the system I have & the rack I use it subtracts the warmth & musicality from my listening sessions to the point of me flitting through my music collection & not finding anything that I really want to listen to. I now have all my components sitting on timber without any risers or footers of any kind.
    Anyone had the same experience, findings?

Re: Isolation & the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    As many know recently I changed my rack to an assortment of 3 inch thick Northern Red Mahogany sleepers, commonly known as one of the most dense woods in Oz & quite up there as far as the world ratings go too. Nothing is bolted together & all sit nicely with just gravity holding them in place. In the last month I have come to the assumption that all my Stillpoints are now detracting from the sound that I have & am really enjoying the sound I now have without them. 3 months ago I would have thought poorly of someone that couldn't hear the benefit's of these devices, now, in the system I have & the rack I use it subtracts the warmth & musicality from my listening sessions to the point of me flitting through my music collection & not finding anything that I really want to listen to. I now have all my components sitting on timber without any risers or footers of any kind.

Anyone had the same experience, findings?

That is interesting Kev.

I am a fan of solid timber equipment stand shelves. I use 1.5 inch solid maple timber shelving. Many audiophiles report that the sound of wood is the most natural and/or the most “warm” tonally and that has certainly been my experience.

The bogeyman is vibration and my understanding is that solid timber shelves do a respectable job in absorbing both environmental and system vibrations.

That said, there still needs to be a way to couple the gear to the shelf. Some equipment manufacturers do a decent job with their footers – but for others the equipment footers appear to be an afterthought worthy of whatever miniscule amount is left in their equipment cost budget. For the later I think there is strong merit in third party footers and though I have no personal experience with the stillpoints products I do have with other brands such as Nordost and find them a worthwhile “tuning” tool.

To expand on “tuning” I provide the following example. When I place my Esoteric CDP directly on the timber it delivers a slightly richer sonic presentation which is clearly influenced by a bass with more heft. Mounted on third party footers the overall presentation is slightly leaner but is more resolved with longer decay to the tail of treble musical notes. Which “tuning” is preferable is simply a matter of personal preference.

I think it is great you’ve gone back to retest previously held assumptions or prior experiences on the sonic benefit of the stillpoints stuff. As I recently wrote in my system thread I think that all too often audiophiles – myself included – fail to retest previously held believes and experiences, much to our detriment.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Re: Isolation & the rack.

Ralph, great post & also this has been my findings. I have found for me the mid range & bass have been really tamed to the point that musicality has taken a back seat to definition & pure toe tapping enjoyment.
    For another experiment I moved my Torus generators closer to the wall on the outside of the speakers, the sound-stage became very flat & not engaging at all. Needless to say I moved them back to better position the sound from the both of them within 48hrs. & people say bass is non directional huh!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Isolation & the rack.