Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

Linear Tube Audio and David Berning, the ZOTL40 Mk. II ...

Anyone have this amp? I always wanted a David Berning design amp

http://www.lineartubeaudio.com/products/zotl40

SPECIFICATIONS

• Sensitivity: 1.2V RMS for 40 watts output
    • Output impedance 1.6 ohms
    • Input impedance: 50k
    • 100V / 120V / 240V operation: Auto-switching
    • Hum and noise: 94dB below full output (measured between 20Hz-20kHz)
    • Power output with 4-ohm load: up to 51W, 0.5% THD
    • Power output with 8-ohm load: up to 46W, 0.5% THD
    • Frequency response (8-ohm load): 8Hz to 50kHz, +0, -.5dB
    • Amplifier class: Push-pull Class AB
    • Net weight: 9.7 lbs. or 4.4 kg
    • Finish: Aluminum case
    • Tube complement: two 12AX7s, two 12AU7s, and four KT77s

Attached Images Attached Images
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: Linear Tube Audio and David Berning, the ZOTL40 Mk. II ...

Yes, I heard them under show conditions driving Silverline boleros. I went back to the room a few times to reconfirm my initial impressions and they are special. sonically speaking for an OTL they have balls, are quite transparent to the source and life-like. I was stalking Mark Schneider to find out more, says he asked David Berning to design this amp around EL34 outputs to keep it serviceable well into the future - they def succeeded on all fronts, its on my short list of amps to try out at home.

Well theres that empty rack in your other room ...

Super Moderator

One can NEVER have enough amps.

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Well theres that empty rack in your other room ...
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    Yes, I heard them under show conditions driving Silverline boleros. I went back to the room a few times to reconfirm my initial impressions and they are special. sonically speaking for an OTL they have balls, are quite transparent to the source and life-like. I was stalking Mark Schneider to find out more, says he asked David Berning to design this amp around EL34 outputs to keep it serviceable well into the future - they def succeeded on all fronts, its on my short list of amps to try out at home.
    I heard this amp at RMAF last year and I too was impressed.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Go for it Joe. And maybe even the preamp and LPS too!
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I heard this amp at RMAF last year and I too was impressed.
    Thanks Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Go for it Joe. And maybe even the preamp and LPS too!
    Could be a great package and more than enough power for me.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

I like the simple look and it appears that all three pieces together are no wider than one normal width component. So if the sound is as good as reported a bonus is they are not as bulky or heavy as most gear. The only thing with the preamp is that it doesn't appear to have a remote of any kind.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

I heard the zotl 40 and the zotl preamp with a pair of Vapor Nimbus at the 2015 RMAF. It ended up being probabaly my favorite room, or the room I wanted to take home with me. The 3D soundstage was phenomenal along with the separation of instruments. Listened to all types of music and it didn't dissappoint. Needless to say that room made the biggest impression on me over everything I heard that weekend in Denver. Someone told me last week Linear Tube is developing a remote for the preamp.

Attached Images Attached Images

Joe, I have the preamp and it incredible driving my First Watt J2 Andre other power amps. At $1,800 or so it's a steal. I do miss having a remote but the dimensionality in the music it makes is worry the tradeoff.

Hey RDSChicago,

Any chance you could name the other power amps you've used the microZOTL preamp with? I haven't seen anybody report using it with a solid state amp but I imagine it can be a good fit. The Linear Tube Audio site recommends it with tube amps but I'm interested to hear how it works with other amps.

Quote Originally Posted by tomy2 View Post
    Hey RDSChicago,

Any chance you could name the other power amps you've used the microZOTL preamp with? I haven't seen anybody report using it with a solid state amp but I imagine it can be a good fit. The Linear Tube Audio site recommends it with tube amps but I'm interested to hear how it works with other amps.
    I've used it with a First Watt J2 and Quicksilver Silver 88's with KT-150's. It sounded stellar with both amps.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Anyone have this amp? I always wanted a David Berning design amp
    Joe, as a recent Spatial M3 owner, I asked Clayton what amps would work and he suggested few but at the end said

"The best amp so far is the Linear Tube Audio ZOTL 40 - direct drive with no output transformer. If I was stuck on an island, this would be the amp."

Now this is with Spatial speakers. I have not read or heard how it performs with speakers with difficult load.

Super Moderator

The more I see the Linear Tube Audio gear, the more I want it. It could be outstanding on my JBLs too.

NAD C 658 streamer.

The more I see the Linear Tube Audio gear, the more I want it. It could be outstanding on my JBLs too.
    MZ2-S + 2 x ZOTL40 is just over $10k

Super Moderator

Can the ZOTL40's be used as monos?

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    MZ2-S + 2 x ZOTL40 is just over $10k

NAD C 658 streamer.

Can the ZOTL40's be used as monos?
    Yes.

Super Moderator

Dammit

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Yes.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Presha Joe , Presha ........

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

Nice review. Thanks for sharing. Ultimately he preferred Berning's own amp to LTA's. Also interesting that he said using the power amp's volume control to run one source sounded better than a separate preamp.

I see a plan forming .....,

Super Moderator

Not too long ago I would have bought by now. While I'd love to get some Berning or LTA gear, I don't think it's in my future.

I see a plan forming .....,

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by RDSChicago View Post
    Joe, I have the preamp and it incredible driving my First Watt J2 Andre other power amps. At $1,800 or so it's a steal. I do miss having a remote but the dimensionality in the music it makes is worry the tradeoff.
    Remote is available. $250.00 bump. Great pre!!
    Aurender A10 (SR Black fuses installed)>MicroZotl2.0S W/remote( SR Black )> Odyssey Kismets> Persona 5f's . Cerious Technologies Matrix IC's and Speaker cabling. Audience ArP2 TOSOX conditioner . Power chords include Audience Au24 Se, SR ,Shunyata,Triode Wire World. Stillpoints Ultra Minis.

I trialled the ZOTL 40 in my home system for 4 days driving my 91dB, genuine 8 ohm, 3-way floorstanders (a relatively easy load). I wanted to like them but I was disappointed. I am mystified by the positive comment I have seen here and elsewhere.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Pallen View Post
    I trialled the ZOTL 40 in my home system for 4 days driving my 91dB, genuine 8 ohm, 3-way floorstanders (a relatively easy load). I wanted to like them but I was disappointed. I am mystified by the positive comment I have seen here and elsewhere.
    I demoed in my system a Berning amp. It was nice, but no desire to change out my Triode TRX-M300 monos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

what speakers .....

what speakers .....
    Devore Gibbon X

Devore Gibbon X

Suspect this amp needs paired with speakers greater than 91DB.

I am interested in trying with my Duo Mezzo's which are 107DB.

Anyone tried this with Avantgarde horn speakers ?

I may be getting the LTA MZ2 preamp with linear power supply soon. Has any one compared it with and without the linear PSU ?

I have it with the PSU. For the extra few hundred dollars it's a no-brainer decision.

Did you compare it with and without the PSU ?

Just FWIW dept.: This amp is not an OTL.

Hi everyone. My dealer has got in touch with me to say that there was a fault with the ZOTL 40 I auditioned, so take my earlier comments with a grain of salt. Apparently there was a problem with the mono switch causing low power output.

Audioshark

A new experimental OTL amp from Linear Tube Audio (in a 40 Chassis).

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

any competition for the Triodes?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mallen123 View Post
    any competition for the Triodes?
    I prefer 300b

Audioshark

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team