Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Benchmark DAC3

Re: Benchmark DAC3

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I am very happy that you got it figured out. Yes, I agree that both companies are excellent and stand behind their products. I really like the DAC3 and when my Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE arrives next week I will continue to use the Benchmark as my DAC and headphone amplifier!

Not sure who you spoke with at W4S; either Tony or EJ, but they are both excellent and make sure that customers are taken care of.
    Sorry for the delayed response, I tried to respond earlier but there was some sort of technical issue that wouldn't allow me to type on the webpage.

Thanks, I'm glad you like your DAC3 also. Can I ask why you would get a pre-amp (the W4S STP-SE) when as I understand it the DAC3 is designed to act as a pre-amp itself?

I spoke with Tony at W4S, he was very helpful, informative and friendly. We ended up chatting about all sorts of audiophile related issues, and I came away with a great impression of the company.

I haven't had an experience with Benchmark customer support yet, but have heard they're good -- good to hear you've had good experiences also.

I've always left my DAC2L on when not using but volume down, unless I go on extended holiday. The current draw is not much. I've been doing this for years starting with the DAC1, never had any problems. Saves waiting for warm up.

My DAC2L did take about 100 hours for the sound to come right from new. This is the same for most new equipment. Best to run music through it, use a radio tuner to help speed things up overnight or when you are at work. Doesn't need to be loud to work.

Benchmark Customer support is excellent.

Robert

Yes Tony is great! He and EJ are both in our local audio club.

Yes the DAC3 HGC is a pre-amplifier also, but it's main duty is that of being an excellent DAC and a darn good headphone amplifier. The Wyred 4 Sound pre-amplifier is extremely good and with the stage 2 upgrade is truly world class. There are many people who believe that the pre-amplifier is the heart and soul of your system. I am not sure that I am of that mind set as of yet, but I also believe that the W4S STP-SE is in a whole different world than the Benchmark is as a pre-amplifier. One of the best volume control system on the market, a true high end piece of gear in every way.

When I had it in my system I was just rediscovering this crazy hobby and I was at the experimental stage. My buddy grabbed it from me and pitted it against some of the absolute best of the best pre-amplifiers on the market. He came away saying that it held it's own against machines that were many times (some as much as 15 times or more) it's price. He was blown away. So when he finished his comparisons I had the opportunity to get it back from him. Dam glad I did .... I will eventually get the stage 2 upgrades done and I will know that I have a true world class pre-amplifier in every way!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    I've always left my DAC2L on but volume down. The current draw is not much. I've been doing this for years starting with the DAC1, never had any problems. Saves waiting for warm up.

My DAC2L did take about 100 hours for the sound to come right from new. This is the same for most new equipment. Best to run music through it even using a radio tuner to help speed things up overnight or when you are at work.

Benchmark Customer support is excellent
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Could someone please help me out. When I connect my Benchmark dac3 HGC to my mac via USB I still have full scale system volume control. Is it supposed to be this way? Im not talking about the volume control in any music player. Im talking about the global system volume control which you can control in System Pref > Sound - or with the volume up/down hotkeys on the mac keyboard. In my case if I turn down the volume on my mac this causes the volume of the Benchmark to go down as well. So the mac is acting as a pre-amp to the Benchmark dac3? The other dacs in my possession disable the volume control on my mac. This is worrying as I don't think it should be this way. Please let me know if this is case with anyone else or if you have any solutions. Thanks.

I could not say for sure, but it sounds like a setting in the driver/audio player. You should verify that you have the audio set to fixed volume.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Got the Benchmark DAC3 HGC last week and it is now pretty broken in. Wonderful sound and seemingly great value for the money.

Gotta say that I was swayed by the recent Stereophile review. The measurements were spectacular.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...hone-amplifier
    Kevin

Main: VPI Aries 3/Grado Reference3, and Aurender N200 > PS Audio DS DAC. Luxman L-509Z integrated amp. Sonus Faber Elipsa SE speakers. PS Audio P10 power. Transparent Audio, Cardas and Audioquest cables.

Bar: EAT C-sharp/Hana MH, and exaSound s82 > Luxman L-595SE amp. GolderEar One.R speakers. Shunyata power, Audioquest cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
    Got the Benchmark DAC3 HGC last week and it is now pretty broken in. Wonderful sound and seemingly great value for the money.

Gotta say that I was swayed by the recent Stereophile review. The measurements were spectacular.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...hone-amplifier
    Congrats! It looks like a winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I bought Randy's DAC 3 HGC. It is one of the best audio purchases I've ever made. Thank you Randy! I'm using it as a DAC only. The synergy with the rest of my system is outstanding. Are there better DAC's out there? Certainly. With this little guy, I can happily wait until the best DAC's slide down the price/performance curve a bit.

I'm using a dedicated SurfacePro 3 running JRiver as a music server with a WW Platinum something or other cable that cost almost as much as the computer.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Tom, thank you so much for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Nice to see you again Tom. I am very glad you are enjoying the DAC3. I thought it was a fantastic unit!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thanks Randy - glad you are loving W4S DAC - a wonderful pice for sure.

Welcome to the forum Tom, thank you so much for joining.
    Thanks Joe. I'm embarrassed to say I joined in 2013!
    I'll definitely be more active here, and hope I can contribute.
    Tom

Audio:
    Amati Futura Mains
    Amati Homage VOX Center,
    Proac Response 1sc Rears,
    Three MC2301's for L,C,R
    MC 602 for the rears
    C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 77
    Nottingham Dais with Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation
    SurfacePro 3, JRiver, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

Video:
    MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
    Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 80, Rega P3

OnDeck:
    McIntosh MAC 4300v

Hello All, first time poster here!

I am about to do some upgrading of my audio chain that has developed over a number of years. As it stands now, it consists of an Aurender N100H that feeds into an R2R DAC, La Voce S2, from Aqua HiFi. The DAC is connected in balanced mode to a GS-X Mk2 that feeds via its pre-amp section an Odyssey Khartago power amp with the Kismet upgrades. Speakers are ATC SCM 11. All in all, I am quite happy with my system, except that I'd like to replace my GS-X Mk2 with a proper pre-amp. I am thinking, of course, of the new Benchmark HPA4 that seems to be available soon.

However, I keep can't stop thinking about Benchmark's DAC3 L1. It has outstanding reviews and measurements. And it attracts me because it has the perfect balance between functionality and performance. At Benchmark's website they even suggest of using the DAC3 directly in conjunction with a power amp. So, wouldn't this be the perfect minimalistic system? A Benchmark DAC3 going straight to my power amp? So, my question is: does anyone use the DAC3 (or DAC2 for that matter) with a power amp and thereby omitting a pre-amp? My apologies if this question has been raised already in the forum, but browsing through all the pages of this forum is a bit time consuming.

Any comments highly welcome!

Super Moderator

Welcome!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Welcome aboard!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sean

Lumin T2
    Gryphon Diablo 333
    Magico A3 w/ A-Pods
    AudioQuest Hurricane HC
    Shunyata PS8 & Defender & Cabling
    HRS E1

Randy had a few different versions of the DAC, I'm sure he will weigh in here.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Digital: LH Labs Source (someday...) + LH Labs Geek Pulse SFi
    Analogue: Audio Technica OC9ML/ii + Technics 1200SL + Nikko Beta 40 (phono only)
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE
    First Watt F6
    Focal 816VW Special Edition

Hello, and yes I did have both the DAC2 HGC and DAC3 HGC. They are excellent units. I used them both as DACs (and headphone amps) and I had used the DAC3 HGC as a pre-amp, straight to power amps. It performed well and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

I have moved on for a few reasons. First off I wanted to try the highest level ESS chip, the 9038. Benchmark uses the 9028. Also, DSD has become very important to me, the higher the better. Benchmark has chosen to support only DSD64. This is very good, but I like DSD128 and DSD256. I have since moved to the T+A DAC 8 DSD which not only supports DSD512, it also supports going up to a base clock of 48 (versus the standard DSD clock of 44). With HQPlayer I over clock everything up to DSD512/48, which is 24.6 MHz... If you have no interest in DSD above DSD64 then without hesitation I recommend the Benchmark!

Also, I have decided that I prefer using a dedicated pre-amp in my system.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thanks for putting things straight with regards to the DAC3. I understand your point of being able to process DSD up to 256. This is indeed a knockout criterium. I myself am not at all into DSD, so the Benchmark DAC3 fits the bill very well. I also see your point of preferring a dedicated pre-amp, and that's exactly what interests me!
    What you say is that the DAC3 is good enough to be hooked straight to a power amp. That's good to know. However, I am thinking of getting Benchmark's new pre-amp/headphone amp, the HPA4. It looks like a fantastic pre-amp, particularly what Benchmark went through to set up an excellent volume control. If I'd buy a HPA4, the DAC3 would be exclusively used as a DAC, but what I read here, it seems to be a great one!

It looks like a pretty cool little unit. If you get this little unit then you probably don't need a headphone amp and extra pre-amp functions built into the DAC. Therefore the DAC3 L would probably be your best choice. Get the pre-amp with remote and the DAC without (options on their website).

Tell Rory I say hi!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Will do that, I am asking him a lot of questions. Poor Rory must think: not again the guy from Switzerland

I guess I'll be ordering the DAC3 L relatively soon, and the HPA4 mid/end August. I am really curious comparing the DAC3 L with my Aqua La Voce S2. It's a great DAC, but I somehow got very much drawn into the Benchmark products.

The good thing with the Benchmark is the available trial period.
    I had a DAC3 HGC for a trial. As a pre the volume control was neutral and with 2 analog inputs it worked well.
    But using it as a DAC/pre, in my system and to my ears, it didn't work. The DAC imparted a a mild hardness/whiteness to the upper mids that I found tiring.
    Take this with a grain of salt, as I am a tube aficionado. And went back to enjoying my Lampizator. YMMV
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Hello, and yes I did have both the DAC2 HGC and DAC3 HGC. They are excellent units. I used them both as DACs (and headphone amps) and I had used the DAC3 HGC as a pre-amp, straight to power amps. It performed well and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

I have moved on for a few reasons. First off I wanted to try the highest level ESS chip, the 9038. Benchmark uses the 9028. Also, DSD has become very important to me, the higher the better. Benchmark has chosen to support only DSD64. This is very good, but I like DSD128 and DSD256. I have since moved to the T+A DAC 8 DSD which not only supports DSD512, it also supports going up to a base clock of 48 (versus the standard DSD clock of 44). With HQPlayer I over clock everything up to DSD512/48, which is 24.6 MHz... If you have no interest in DSD above DSD64 then without hesitation I recommend the Benchmark!

Also, I have decided that I prefer using a dedicated pre-amp in my system.
    Just saw this at Computer Audiophile: Topping fully balanced DAC with the newest ESS 9038 chip. Might be interesting. Sorry if this DAC is mentioned in a Benchmark DAC3 forum!

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...al-coax-inuts/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Benchmark DAC3