Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What's your favorite small or bookshelf speaker?

I use an earlier (second non-HD) version of Atohm GT1 from France. Easy to drive so I can use it with 300B SET tube amp. Time coherent. 89dB (Has anybody outside Europe even heard of this brand?)

Looks like this but mine is black:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/atohm/1.html

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/atohm-gt1-loudspeaker/

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post
    Jonanthan,

A good friend of mine has the MicroOne's and he just loves them.
    Do you see them matching well with Joe's Triode 845M?
    I assumed they needed a fair amount of power.

Regards.
    Impedance
    Ohm
    Impedance Deviation
    +/- 2 Ohm
    Sensitivity
    87dB
    Minimum Amplifier Power
    WRMS

I'm sure they'd be just fine!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I'm sure they'd be just fine!
    Excellent candidate for your consideration ...
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    I use an earlier (second non-HD) version of Atohm GT1 from France. Easy to drive so I can use it with 300B SET tube amp. Time coherent. 89dB (Has anybody outside Europe even heard of this brand?)

Looks like this but mine is black:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/atohm/1.html

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/atohm-gt1-loudspeaker/
    My Dealer gets in Atohm & I agree, at their price point they do punch well above their weight in sound, fit and finish. Nice.

Joe, you already have the LS50's..... sooooo????
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

A man cannot survive on one, or two, or three pairs of monitors!

Really depends on budget and partnering equipment but my all-time favorite small speakers have been

ProAc Tablettes
    Evolution Acoustics MicroOne's
    Raidho C1 & D1's
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by RDSChicago View Post
    A man cannot survive on one, or two, or three pairs of monitors!

Ha!

Tell me about it
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Soooooooo what? Not very efficient, needs a more powerful amp.

What got me initially excited about the Falcon speakers was their 15 ohm rating and tube friendly character. I have not heard them but in reviews and comments from friends, they love them. Soooooo, I'm still a little confused as to exactly what will get my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Joe, you already have the LS50's..... sooooo????

NAD C 658 streamer.

What about the Legacy Calibre?

http://legacyaudio.com/products/view/calibre/

-----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    What about the Legacy Calibre?

http://legacyaudio.com/products/view/calibre/

I had the legacy HD monitor and was not overly-impressed.

Jonanthan,

A good friend of mine has the MicroOne's and he just loves them.
    Do you see them matching well with Joe's Triode 845M?
    I assumed they needed a fair amount of power.

Regards.
    Unless Joe is in a massive room, the match should be wonderful. I believe his amps are 50 wpc Class A. Should be plenty. The MicroOnes are a very benign load and extremely tube friendly.

Super Moderator

My room room is a decent size and I'm sure the MicroOnes would be great. I may have to give them a try. The Triode amps are 50 wpc.

Quote Originally Posted by jtinn View Post
    Unless Joe is in a massive room, the match should be wonderful. I believe his amps are 50 wpc Class A. Should be plenty. The MicroOnes are a very benign load and extremely tube friendly.

NAD C 658 streamer.

My room room is a decent size and I'm sure the MicroOnes would be great. I may have to give them a try. The Triode amps are 50 wpc.
    I am absolutely sure you would love them Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Trenner & Friedl monitor - tiny, but sounded great on Viva electronics last Newport show
    Reference 3a De Capos
    Vapor Cirrus - want to hear them and they are pretty efficient

I like Dyns, but wouldn't think them to be a good match with your Tri amps.
    the trenner & friedl art monitors blew my mind, its a great little speaker. I haven't heard the De Capos in long while but their ability to resolve fine details/texure will give Quad 57s a run for their money.

Joe, I briefly owned a pair of the MicroOnes. They are fast, dynamic & punchy and disappear in the room, but I don't like the wrought iron stands. It looks like the stands were sub-contracted to an outdoor furniture supplier..they are horribly heavy, easily blemish & i'm told typically arrive with scratches. When I was setting up the stands/bases, I thought I was setting up a piece of outdoor furniture, surely not a pair of high end speaker stands . They were also hard to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    the trenner & friedl art monitors blew my mind, its a great little speaker. I haven't heard the De Capos in long while but their ability to resolve fine details/texture will give Quad 57s a run for their money.
    Driving the Trenner & Friedl Art monitors with Quicksilver KT150 monoblocks and they are so wonderfully musical and these diminutive speakers really envelop the room with a wide and tall soundstage. Simply amazing speakers. Recently picked up the Linear Tube Audio preamp getting kickass reviews all over the Internet which is blowing away my CJ ET3SE preamp and sounds great with the T&F/Quicksilver combo. It doesn't get much more musical than this, folks.

Depends if you only want bookshelf, or small. The Heco Direkt, which costs 2700 Euro or so, and are 95db drivable by 10 - 25w SETs, are easily better to me than many raidhos and other floor standers as well. They come to less than waist height, are flat and thick, and lean backward pointing towards the listener, and with vented downfiring woofers. Played large orchestral on them with vinyl, no problems, at an UK show. The company has been in Germany since 1949. So technically not bookshelf, but fantastic for smaller rooms.

The Evolution Acoustics MM7 are by far the best speakers I have heard, so the micro ones should be pretty good, worth checking out definitely, if similar quality flows through to the smaller model then they will be the ones.

Joe, you still got some room and lonely amplfiers , Give them a try ....

The active Neumann KH-120A. Pure, honest. No more Mr. nice coloring.... I use them in my kitchen in combination with a little Sunfire Atmos subwoofer and this plays powerful and clean. I love them. (picture from internet, not my set-up)
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

I tried to post last week, but no luck.

T&F Art, MMMicro, Lotus Tanagra (now morphed into the French brand that Mike carries), Stenheim Alumine, Joseph Audio Pulsar, (special mention to KEF LS50 powered...I expect that will be great), The small stand mounted Horns.pl speaker...not sure what is the model number. Oskar Heil Bookshelf speaker with the Heil driver.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

I went to a demo at a person home in Orlando and they had the Nola 3-piece open baffle BRIO TRIO system, not to bad , at all.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Typo: Tanagra Audio Lotus...now morphed into Apertura Audio.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

I have been after a pair of really good standmount speakers for a while and recently bought some MicroOnes. Very happy with mine, really incredible things.
    Preamp: Aesthetix Calypso Signature
    Power Amp: Aesthetix Atlas Signature
    DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Signature
    TT: Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, Kuzma 4Point 11, Hana ML
    TW Acustic Raven One, Raven 10.5, Shelter 5000
    Speakers: Acapella High Violin MkIII

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    T&F Art, MMMicro, Lotus Tanagra ...
    Norman,

The T&F ART caught my attention ever since Lukasz mentioned them on Facebook some time back.
    What system did you hear them with?

Regards.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Norman,

The T&F ART caught my attention ever since Lukasz mentioned them on Facebook some time back.

Regards.
    The Art's sound great with high-powered tube amps and solid state but even my 300b Melody push pull AN300b at 26wpc drives them more than sufficiently.

Rosso Fiorentino Fiesole and Diapason Astera; if musicality and tonality is your thing, they're hard to beat at their respective price points.

Norman,

Regards.
    At a 2nd hand dealer in Lausanne some 7 years ago. Even the dealer was in amazement as he demoed the speakers to me. Since then I ran into Andreas Freidl at several shows and we talk a bit about his design concepts.

I told Lukasz about them long before he heard them. LoL

I think Geardaddy bought the Isis model.
    NORMAN

Quote Originally Posted by Melbguy1 View Post
    Joe, I briefly owned a pair of the MicroOnes. They are fast, dynamic & punchy and disappear in the room, but I don't like the wrought iron stands. It looks like the stands were sub-contracted to an outdoor furniture supplier..they are horribly heavy, easily blemish & i'm told typically arrive with scratches. When I was setting up the stands/bases, I thought I was setting up a piece of outdoor furniture, surely not a pair of high end speaker stands . They were also hard to sell.
    I use mine with a pair of custom made Vibex stands.
    Preamp: Aesthetix Calypso Signature
    Power Amp: Aesthetix Atlas Signature
    DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Signature
    TT: Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, Kuzma 4Point 11, Hana ML
    TW Acustic Raven One, Raven 10.5, Shelter 5000
    Speakers: Acapella High Violin MkIII

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    At a 2nd hand dealer in Lausanne some 7 years ago. Even the dealer was in amazement as he demoed the speakers to me. Since then I ran into Andreas Freidl at several shows and we talk a bit about his design concepts.

I told Lukasz about them long before he heard them. LoL

I think Geardaddy bought the Isis model.
    Stereodesk is selling a pair of Art's for 50% off (with stands) for Black Friday. That's $2,500! If I didn't already have a pair in beautiful Zebra wood I would jump all over these. Here's a link. No affiliation, of course: http://stereodesk.com/collections/bl...nd-friedl-arts

Stereodesk is selling a pair of Art's for 50% off (with stands) for Black Friday. That's $2,500! If I didn't already have a pair in beautiful Zebra wood I would jump all over these. Here's a link. No affiliation, of course: http://stereodesk.com/collections/bl...nd-friedl-arts
    Yup, MUCH better price than in Lausanne:
    http://www.abc-hifi.ch/enceintes/
    NORMAN

Graham Audio standmounts are nice too:
    http://www.grahamaudiousa.com/ls58/
    NORMAN

You want fairly high efficiency for the 845s if you can. I've heard the Omegas (well the Alnico Monitor, i.e. single driver version of the one you pictured) and it's absolute heaven. That version would basically cover the rock genre that the older versions were challenged with (and high energy classical). I think you would be hard pressed to go past those with a sweet single-ended tube amp, especially for the price.

Super Moderator

I can only imagine. I love Alnico drivers and would love to hear the Omegas. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade View Post
    You want fairly high efficiency for the 845s if you can. I've heard the Omegas (well the Alnico Monitor, i.e. single driver version of the one you pictured) and it's absolute heaven. That version would basically cover the rock genre that the older versions were challenged with (and high energy classical). I think you would be hard pressed to go past those with a sweet single-ended tube amp, especially for the price.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Price from low to high:
    ELAC 310 (the smallest in size)
    SONUS FABER MINIMA VINTAGE
    RAIDHO X1

Esoteric K-05,Oppo BDP 95, Cocktail Audio X50
    Accuphase C-2420,Mark levinson 532h,NuPrime IDA8, Line Magnetic 210IA(300B) & AS-125(211)
    Sonus Faber Guarneri Evo, Raidho X-1,ELAC 310ib, Elac 203.2,Acoustic Energy AE1 Classic, Spendor 3/5 SE
    Nordost Tyr2&Red dawn xlr,Analysis Plus Big Silver, Cardas Clear Power x 2,NBS Blk Label2,Voodoo Fire Dragon,Furutech Flux50x2 etc.

Has anybody heard the Trenner and Friedl Sun? Amazing review in the latest Stereophile. Even smaller than the Harbeth p3esr and designed for easy placement. Reviewer says it is the best standmount he has ever heard....

I've never heard a Trenner & Friedl speaker that isn't wonderful and the Sun's are no exception but for approximately $1,000 more I would go for the Art. The Art is also diminutive in size but plays louder and in a wider frequency range.

thanks, RDS. I am also interested in the Art. I was assuming in my very small 9 by 11 room, the Suns might be better. I also thought coaxial driver might be better for creating a wider sweet spot/listening off axis? How is either speaker at low volumes?

Have you heard the Legacy Audio Studio HD's? Impressed me enough that I bought 2 pairs to go with 2 systems that I'm putting together....Check out their website.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Best I've heard are (in random order):

Raidho D1
    Dynaudio C1
    Dynaudio Special 25
    Totem Mani-2 sig
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

My favorite small speakers right now are -

- Joseph Audio Pulsar
    - Penaudio Cenya Signature
    - Franco Serblin Accordo
    - Magico S1 Mk2 (floorstander)

All very different in character, but I could enjoy every one of them. If I had to take just one bookshelf speaker home, it would be the Penaudio Cenya Signatures. If I had to take just one floorstanding two-way, the S1 Mk2 no question!

Just picked up a pair of evolution acoustics Mmicroone's. On the stands they look and perform wonderfully. I can see what all the hype was about.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking speakers!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thanks Randy. The integrated stands really make the speakers look good and sound great. I know some here have trashed the stands' wrought iron appearance, but to me they look very modern and utilitarian, yet angular and stylish.

Just picked up a pair of evolution acoustics Mmicroone's. On the stands they look and perform wonderfully. I can see what all the hype was about.
    Very cool, would love to hear those some day.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Digital: LH Labs Source (someday...) + LH Labs Geek Pulse SFi
    Analogue: Audio Technica OC9ML/ii + Technics 1200SL + Nikko Beta 40 (phono only)
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE
    First Watt F6
    Focal 816VW Special Edition

I got to say, the more I listen to these Music Culture RL21's the more I like them. I really wish they would distribute them in the US. It appears as if the RL21's offered today are exactly the same as the ones Wolfgang Meletzky designed when he sold MBL and started MC a few years back.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What's your favorite small or bookshelf speaker?