Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What was your first "audiophile" system...the one that got you hooked?

Mine was JSE Infinite Slope speakers, NAD receiver and a California Audio Labs cd player....Monster cables. Purchased at Harvey Sound and Lyric Hifi in White Plains, N.Y., early 1980s. $1000 for speakers was a huge leap for me. Pretty sure that Jeff Joseph was working at Harvey Sound at the time....The beginning of the Infinite Slope X-over used in his speakers.

Audioshark

Re: What was your first "audiophile" system...the one that got you hooked?

Great question. I had a pair of Carver amps/preamp and B&W 801F's. Source was an Akai R2R and Pioneer TT with a Shure Cart. I think I had the Sony CDP-201 at the time. That system was amazing. Before that, I had IMF speakers and Sony monoblocks with a Pioneer preamp. After that I had some Genesis 44 speakers and Perreaux electronics.

But I still go back to my Maggie 1.6's with Sunfire subs and McIntosh amp/preamp and Avid TT as the system that really got the juices going. That "holy Sh!t moment".
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

The first system that got me was a modest system comprising of a Yamaha receiver,B&O TT and Klipsch Forte speakers!

Very fond memories!!!!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Dahlquist DQ-10's
    GAS Ampzilla amp
    Nakamichi 610 Pre-amp
    Revox A77 tape deck
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Mine was an entire system I purchased from a friend in 1968. We both lived in San Francisco but he was relocating back home to Seattle and did not want to have to deal with moving the system. I bought a pair of McIntosh MC30 mono tube amplifiers, a Dynaco PS3X tube preamplifier, a Dynaco FM3 tuner, a Dual 1019 turntable with a Shure V15 Type II cartridge, and a pair of Altec Voice of the Theater speakers in the grey painted cabinets with the green horns and compression drivers mounted on top. That system could rock the house and rattle the windows. The Altecs were 16 ohm speakers and 102 db efficient with 1 watt so the McIntosh MC30's were loafing most of the time. Loved that old sound system.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I was in college..... a Yamaha receiver and cd player, a pair of B&W 602's, and Audioquest cables.
    Goldprint Audio -- Dealer For: PS Audio -- Leben -- KEF -- Line Magnetic -- DeVore Fidelity -- Joseph Audio -- Sugden -- Rogue Audio -- Manley Labs -- VPI Industries -- Bel Canto -- Alta Audio -- Tannoy -- Rega -- Kimber Kable -- Ortofon -- Chord -- Sonos -- Quadraspire -- Salamander -- SVS Sound -- Torus Power -- Audio Desk -- Gingko -- Auditorium 23 -- Box Furniture -- Krell -- Cary Audio -- Soundsmith -- EMT

www.goldprintaudio.com

Marantz CD17KI Series, Wire World Atlantis i/c's, Plinius preamp, Plinius mono amps Kimber Kable 4TC & 8TC speaker cable to the original Paradigm Studio 80 speakers. Very musical system.

When I moved into my first place in 1992, I purchased Apogee Duetta Signature Speakers with Bryston gear. Still some of the most lifelike vocals and piano I ever heard.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

The college years early 1970's, Marantz 2270, Dual 1229, KLH Model 6 speakers
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

College:

Large Advents
    Citation 11a
    Dynaco ST120
    B&O TT

College

Celestion SL6
    NAD Receiver
    Dual Turntable/Ortofon Cart
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

I was lucky to have an older brother who spent all his time building Heathkits, Dynaco, and Hafler kits on the kitchen table when I was anywhere between 5 and 12. I got to hear them all thru various AR speaker models over the years. I was already hooked on Music and Good Sound before I ever had a system.

The first one was a Heathkit Receiver he built with a BSR TT and DIY Speakers he built.
    First kit I ever purchased with my first income tax refund at 17 y/o was Onkyo Receiver and Tape Deck with Mirage speakers
    First REAL kit was Hafler 945 and 9180 combo with Mirage M790s and a Marantz 67SE and Audio Alchemy DAC.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Northern California Coast & San Francisco

1959, age 15: Traded for a Kenwood integrated tube receiver, Thorens TD124 TT, AKG headphones, no speakers. Soon after added a Sony R-R tape deck. 2 years later, built a pair of speakers.
    Tom
    Ultimate Audio
    SoundLab Dealer

Country System:
    SoundLab Ultimate-1PX Electrostatic Speakers
    Pass Labs XP-32 pre, Pass Labs XA60.8 Amps
    Pass Lab XP-27 phono stage
    SME 20/2 table with SME V arm, Stillpoints LPI
    Minus-K BM-8 passive vibration control under tt
    Dynavector XV-1s, Koeitsu Rosewood Signature cartridges, Klaudio RCM
    Roon Nucleus+ powered by Keces P-8 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    3 dedicated AC lines
    Shunyata Omega PC to Everest for all source devices
    Typhon for each amp powered by 2 dedicated circuits
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout.
    Stillpoints under everything.

City System:
    Ayre KX-R Twenty Preamp
    Pass Labs X-260.8 Monoblocks
    Esoteric K-03 SACD Player
    Roon Nucleus+powered by UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS
    Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    Sound Lab Ultimate-545PX Speakers
    Shunyata Hydra 8, Typhon QR
    Various Shunyata Alpha & Sigma PC's throughout
    Stillpoints under everything. Multiple room acoustic panels.

Large Advents with a Pioneer-built, Allied-brand receiver. Soon moved to a McIntosh 6100 integrated. Yes, I was sliding down the slippery slope. Something was not right. I heard much better performance in the showroom. Swapped my BSR TT for a Dual 601 and my jaw literally dropped. Maybe the only time that truly happened for me.

Gathering speed downhill I stacked the Large Advents and then moved to a Dahlquist DQ-10. Then my brakes totally failed, but that is another story.

Cambridge Audio integrated amplifier and a pair of Monitor Audio speakers

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

I was 13 yrs. old. Marantz 2215b receiver and House Brand speakers from local retailer. I think tt was Philips GA 212 and I had a killer Tandberg cassette deck. At 18 I moved up to modified Dynaco mono tube amps, Sonab spkrs, Rega tt, Dynavector Ruby cart, Soundcraftsman pre. w/built in equalizer. I also had a pair of Maggie MG-2bs and Nakamichi cassette deck. Pretty sure Monster spkr. cables.

mauidan

Dahlquist DQ-10's(after doing the mirror imaging mod)
    GAS Ampzilla amp
    ARC SP 3A-1 with Paoli Mod
    Cotter Step-up Transformer
    Linn LP-12
    Koetsu Rosewood
    Fulton Cables

Hmmmm.... I remember convincing my mother to get me a Pioneer Receiver & Turntable with Burhoe Speakers.... I later added a Superscope 8-Track component player (yes they actually made an 8-track component player) since I had a ton of 8-tracks at the time.

My first very high end component was when I was working for a stereo store while in college... we had a Nakamichi traded in and I grabbed it... what a deck...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

My first system I bought was in 1979 when I was stationed in Japan. I had a Pioneer Spec 1 pre amp, Spec 2 & 4 amps, Pioneer pl 7l turntable with a shure lll cart, Pioneer ct f1000 cassette player, Pioneer sg9800 eq, Pioneer F 28 tuner, DBX 128 ,teac 1506 reelto reel, 2 JBL L300 front stage and 2 Bose 901
    Rear stage.
    That was my first system and boy did that ever spoil me. I also go a great Japanese album collection.

Had that system for 10 yrs. Until a fire broke out at my house. I was able to save few things.

Now that I am in my pre retirement years I am starting my anolog system.
    I have built a decent home theater system . My front stage now are custom crossovered JBL 250 ti B&W HTM1 center channel, and 2 Velyodyn dd 10 subs
    Surrounds are ESS ATM 1 just been reconditioned.
    Rear stage are Paradigm signature ADP and one Velodyn dd 15 sub.
    The Jbls are powered bi amped with the spec 2 & 4 thru my spec1 preamp and all my stereo anolog components including my Thorens 320 with a Ortofon 2m black cart. Lost the pl 7l to fire.
    The other speakers run thru my Lexicom lx 7 amp managed by a Marantz 8802.
    One of my major regrets was not being able to save about 500 Japanese virgin vinyl mostly master edition lps. I have bought about 300 albums in the last few months from all different vendors. Masters, Mofi. and even un sealed originals. I have found only about 30 mostly mofi 45 speed double lps the compare to that old quailty Japanese vinyl.
    Now I am saving for a Nottingham table and cartridge to play those
    quality lps. There goes another $10,000.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Luxman DP-07 cd player + Luxman DA-07 d/a converter. Rotel Michi FM tuner. SONY datman DAT recorder. Luxman CL-360 tube preamp + two McIntosh 250 (mono configuration each) tube power amps. Mission 767 speakers with Cyrus LFAU active low frecuency filter and bass amp + PSX external power supply.
    This was my first true "audiophile" system.
    And it is it until today.

Enviado desde mi Luno mediante Tapatalk

My first audiophile system was: DQ10's and Crown amps.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

My parents had a Heath kit system that my dad put together in the '50's. Mono at first, then converted to stereo. In college, I started with an AR TT, back in 1963. I was in Cambridge and the AR factory was across town. I remember having a problem with the TT and I took the MTA (before there was a T) over to AR. They fixed it on the spot and upgraded it to the newest model, all for free. Much later, in the late '70's my first real high end equpment was a pair of Magnepan 2167-F (IIRC) the predecessors to the MG-II's. I had bought an early copy of the Absolute Sound which had a rave review. A local store carried them, and I bought a pair after listening to them.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

18 years ago, i saved a lot just to get this. This is my first audio system. Every time i drop by the store i audition this until i have enough money to buy. It was expensive back then.. This was loud and the bass is crazy.. Borrowed the pic from the net but this is the exact model i have..

We are talking about thousands of PMPO power he he he

Attached Images Attached Images

I was hooked on music before gear. I gravitated to anything music came from as long as I can remember. I didn't have money as a kid but spent any I got on 45's, LP's at yard sales. I got a record player in 5th or 6th grade.

I talked my dad into buying me a Realistic receiver at 16, earned the money to buy a cheap set of Centrex 12" 3-way made by Pioneer. Bought a used Pioneer PL-51 turntable. Man, I thought I arrived at that point.

went through receiver and stuff from there. I kept the PL-51 for over 20 years though.

My first taste of quality gear in the late 80's I worked for a stereo store and was able to purchase a Kenwood 3300d components. Kenwood occasionally put out some mid to high gear just to show they could. This KA-3300 integrated actually had a built in DAC, talking about being ahead of the time. I matched it to a set of Infinity Kappa 7's. I was going to buy a set of Electro-Voice Pro speakers, my first encounter with WAF, LOL. She couldn't be convinced road carpet cabinet would match the décor.

I had that system for several years, wondered into a true high end store that sold Krell, Dynaudio, Linn, Merridian etc. One day my Kenwood CDP went out and the parts to fix it couldn't be had. I remembered how this store was open to my visit, was hospitable and played me some systems, so I wandered back in, left with an Arcam Alpha 9 and from there............ Once I realized all the music could sound better and better I was hooked.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

I believe that John Sollecito was the major engineer of JSE speakers (John Sollecito Engineering=JSE). He is still making great louspeakers at Sourcespeaker.com!!

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum HARLEY, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Adcom GFA 555, Adcom GFP 565, Rotel RCD 865 BX (finally died last year) & Cambridge Soundworks Ensamble. ...from that point on, I was hooked!

My first full size system way back in 1991 comprised the following gear;

- Nakamichi Amplifier One integrated
    - Infinity Reference 60's
    - JVC XL-Z1050 cdp
    - Technics RS-BX626 tape deck
    - Cambridge Audio T-500 tuner
    - Standesign audio rack
    - Audioquest Slate biwire sc's
    - Audioquest ic's

That was a really nice system. The Infinitys, JVC spinnner & Nakamich amp were a great combo for the money, and I got 18 years of joy from that .

My first decent system was back in early 1970s:
    Dual TT-Sure Cart.
    Kenwood Receiver
    Large Advent speakers
    Jeff

Main System-Mola Mola Tambaqui-Antipodes K50-WW Plat 8 ic-Esoteric Grandioso S1 Esoteric C-02x Verity Amadis S-Shunyata Triton V3-Shunyata Typhon QRT
    Shunyata AlphaNR V2 for Tambaqui-Elrod Statement Gold for S1, Elrod gold SCs Shunyata Sigma for Triton. Tubulus Concentus I2S.
    Second System: URC streamer-Wadia 151 Power Dac, MIT Speaker Cables, Wilson Audio Watts and REL sub.
    Third System: Denon AVR, URC Controller and network streamer, Netstreams Musica multi room-True Audio ceiling speakers

College days in the Frat house. I was older and had a single room.
    -Pioneer Turntable
    -Pioneer Receiver
    -Advent Speakers
    Couldn't tell you the models - not the bottom of the line. I had a job and a little bit to spend.

Light my Fire and Touch Me - both by the Doors - were played countless times for visiting Sorority girls.

Fond memories of that system, and the girls.
    Regards, Mike

Buckaroo Banzai: "remember, no matter where you go, there you are"

College (post-grad) with Densen electronics (CD/Pre/Power), Triangle speakers, Clearaudio Evolution t/t, Nordost cabling.

Sonographe/Conrad Johnson SD-1 CDP
    Counterpoint SA-3.1 preamp
    Sumo Andromeda Amp
    Thiel CS3 speakers
    Rance

Synology DS411+II | GigaFOILv4 + Keces P3 Power Supply | Shunyata Alpha Ethernet | Lumin S1 | VAC Master Line Stage | VAC Signature 200 iQ amps | Kharma Elegance dB11-S | SVS PC-4000 subs x 2 | Shunyata 6000/T v2 | Kharma Elegance signal cables| Luminous Audio Technology power cables | Isoacoustics OREA vibration isolators | Solid Tech racks | Vicoustic room treatments | Acoustic Sciences Corporation IsoWall + IsoCeiling construction

In university:

... with my system. Mission 760i speakers, NAD3020i amp, Marantz CD-52.

That was my first system with separates, at least. Prior to this I had computer speakers driven with a Sony Walkman.

Dunlavy SC-IV
    Threshold electronics T400 and T3
    Well-tempered turntable
    CEC transport
    Sonic Frontiers DAC

Super Moderator

Welcome audioEP, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

This was my first system after I got out of the Navy and got a real job in the early to mid 70's. To call it "audiophile" might be a stretch, but it got me started to where I am today.

Sansui 661 receiver
    Elac Miracord turntable
    Radio Shack Nova 8 speakers ( which I still have today ) but long ago put on the shelf )

This got me through to the mid 80's when I upgraded to a Sony receiver and Garrard turntable. Then to the early 90's when I went to my friends house and he had a Pioneer CD player. I was fascinated and started to save for one and when I went to my local HiFi shop to buy one and got to listen to B&W and Paradigm speakers, I was hooked.
    Speakers- Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Amp - Pass Labs X150.5, Preamp - McIntosh C2600, Turntable - Music Hall MMF-9.3, Cartridge - Goldring Eroica LX, Phono PreAmp - Sutherland Insight, Digital Playback - Rotel RCD-1072, DAC - Bryston BDA-3, Headphones - Sennheiser HD-660S, and Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX. Headphone Amp - Bryston BHA-1

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome audioEP, thank you for joining.
    Thank you Joe, just found out about this site - it seems friendly and balanced - excited to be here!

This - a His Master Voice (aka HMV) all in one record player and it comes with a pair of bookshelf speaker.

Super Moderator

Yes, we are friendly but are all a little unbalanced

Don't be shy.

Quote Originally Posted by audioEP View Post
    Thank you Joe, just found out about this site - it seems friendly and balanced - excited to be here!

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    This was my first system after I got out of the Navy and got a real job in the early to mid 70's. To call it "audiophile" might be a stretch, but it got me started to where I am today.

Sansui 661 receiver
    Elac Miracord turntable
    Radio Shack Nova 8 speakers ( which I still have today ) but long ago put on the shelf )

This got me through to the mid 80's when I upgraded to a Sony receiver and Garrard turntable. Then to the early 90's when I went to my friends house and he had a Pioneer CD player. I was fascinated and started to save for one and when I went to my local HiFi shop to buy one and got to listen to B&W and Paradigm speakers, I was hooked.
    Hi, Jack.
    Beautiful "retro" Radio Shak speakers.
    Do you remember what was the Pioneer CD model? Was it one incorporating the "Legato Linear" DAC circuit?
    I'm interested in that type of filterless DAC behavior, since my separate Luxman DA-07 DAC uses a filterless "fluency dac" converter, one that obviates Shannon-Nyquist conversion method, and it sounds simply great (it does not sound "digital", in the sense that any possible harshness or arfificial character are removed).
    Recently, I learned that Pioneer "Legato Linear" models used a non-lowpass filter tecnology, and since I've never heard one I'm intrigued in its behavior.
    Thanks. What was your first "audiophile" system...the one that got you hooked?

Enviado desde mi LG-E430 mediante Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ventura_Rodriguez_Vallejo View Post
    Hi, Jack.
    Beautiful "retro" Radio Shak speakers.
    Do you remember what was the Pioneer CD model? Was it one incorporating the "Legato Linear" DAC circuit?
    I'm interested in that type of filterless DAC behavior, since my separate Luxman DA-07 DAC uses a filterless "fluency dac" converter, one that obviates Shannon-Nyquist conversion method, and it sounds simply great (it does not sound "digital", in the sense that any possible harshness or arfificial character are removed).
    Recently, I learned that Pioneer "Legato Linear" models used a non-lowpass filter tecnology, and since I've never heard one I'm intrigued in its behavior.
    Thanks. What was your first "audiophile" system...the one that got you hooked?

Enviado desde mi LG-E430 mediante Tapatalk
    I don't remember the model of the Pioneer, sorry. I was so fascinated with the technology, as this was the first CD player that I had ever seen. It took what I think was called a magazine that held maybe 5 or 6 Cd's at a time if I remember. I had just gotten my first PC so I was kind of overwhelmed with all the new technology at the time.
    Speakers- Dynaudio Contour 1.8 Mk II, Amp - Pass Labs X150.5, Preamp - McIntosh C2600, Turntable - Music Hall MMF-9.3, Cartridge - Goldring Eroica LX, Phono PreAmp - Sutherland Insight, Digital Playback - Rotel RCD-1072, DAC - Bryston BDA-3, Headphones - Sennheiser HD-660S, and Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX. Headphone Amp - Bryston BHA-1

I think 1986, possibly 1987, bought these as a package in the UK for ₤300

Mission Cyrus One Integrated Amp
    Mission 700LE Bookshelf Speakers
    NAD 5120 Turntable

The amp and speakers are still going and sounding good, used by one of my sons as speakers for his computer audio set up.
    1: JRiver , Xonar Essence STX & PC, Emotiva Airmotiv 4S
    2: Roon, Lumin U1 Mini, Chord Qutest, Naim Supernait 3, Audiolab 8200CD, ELAC FS247, Sennheiser HD650, Little Dot MkV

First "Audiophile" system was a complete SAE stack with ...
    P101
    E101,
    A1001
    Infinity RS2.5
    Technics SL-1200

all of which I bought all from a dealer in a small town that was not going to carry it any longer and sold it really really cheap! Not sure the manager knew what it may have been worth. :-)

My parents' Panasonic integrated system was the rave when I was a kid, first own system featured Sony CDP, Yamaha tape deck and receiver, DIY Visaton floor standers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

First audiophile system ? I think it was 1972 and it used to have: Tandberg TR-200 receiver, Garrard turntable and B&O 1700 speakers.

Christmas 1972. I was 12. Kenwood receiver, Garrard turntable, and a pair of 2 way Marantz speakers with the foam grills that would start disintegrating the second you opened the box. A part time job at Crazy Eddie's in Paramus N.J. a few years later really did it…..
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Scott Intergrated
    Nikko 220 Power Amp
    Radio Shack Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1959 View Post
    I think 1986, possibly 1987, bought these as a package in the UK for ₤300

Mission Cyrus One Integrated Amp
    Mission 700LE Bookshelf Speakers
    NAD 5120 Turntable

The amp and speakers are still going and sounding good, used by one of my sons as speakers for his computer audio set up.
    I think it was about that time when I acquired the Cyrus II SE + PSX additional power supply. They're still alive and very well (it seems that gear has been constructed to resist a nuclear attack). Here in Spain I never saw the I version being commercialized, so I'm intrigued about its sound and performance.

Enviado desde mi G620S-L01 mediante Tapatalk

1980 a pair of Philips MFB speakers wit pre-amp. I don't think it would qualify as 'audiophile' in this time.
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

I guess my first separates:

Phase Linear 300 amp
    Phase Linear 3500 series two preamp
    Phase Linear 8000 turntable

Mirage SM-3 speakers
    Pioneer CT-F900
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What was your first "audiophile" system...the one that got you hooked?