Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nagra HD DAC

Nagra HD DAC

I have seen very little mention of this DAC in this forum.

Disclaimer: I have not listened to many DACs. I purchased Berkeley Alpha 2 and then Berkeley Reference DAC, after listening to a handful of highly regarded DACs. The music just sounded more accurate to me with Berkeley than, say, dCS, which never felt musically "right" to me, especially in the bottom end.

I had planned on upgrading my Berkeley Reference DAC to a Ref 2. Spent a couple hours listening to Ref2 at a local dealer last week. This was with my speakers players (Rockport Atria), but not my preamp and amp (listened direct through DAC with Nagra Classic Amp).

In any case, after listening for about an hour Ref 2 DAC and Nagra Classic Amp, I asked to hear the Nagra HD DAC for a change. I was shocked at my reaction: listening to the same exact tracks that I just heard for an hour with Ref 2 DAC, I had a completely different reaction listening to Nagra HD DAC. The music was so emotionally involving, musical. A great energy to every track I heard. Alive. I didn't sense that I was missing resolution. But it was just one of those things where you lose yourself in toe-tapping musical bliss. And there was one especially great sign: while chatting with my audio guy and the volume turned way down, the music still was totally captivating. I was emotionally moved!

Now, I am in no way saying this is a better DAC than Ref 2. Could be the synergies the Nagra HD had with the Nagra Classic Amp. And my system has a VAC Signature SE preamp in it, so maybe I was missing some tube warmth in the system I was listening to. More than likely I am guessing this is just another sign of me discovering the sound I am seeking. Organic, warm but not mushy at all, LIVE sounding, oh so musical (to me).

But still, I left seriously impressed with this little DAC. Has anyone else been impressed by this DAC? I am going to try it out in my home environment. And this has also motivated me to listen to Lampizator GG, thinking maybe I want a tubed DAC after all. I have never heard Lampy and I know they are beloved around here.

Anyways, just wanted to pass along my impression. It was startling to me and challenged one of the assumptions I had taken for granted (that Berkeley was the right DAC for my almost entirely PCM listening).

Any love for Nagra HD Dac among others?

-Justin

Re: Nagra HD DAC

Bitten by the TOOB bug I see! Yeah, I am a Lampi fan and I liked what I heard of the Nagra Dac last year, but more $$$. https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/...nce-statement/

I would suggest the GG and a tube rectified Atlantic (less than $7K loaded). Chipless DSD512 and superclocks are a must for both!
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

yeah i own the hd dac for about two years now....and i love it!
    have the classic amp for a year now.....and love it!
    own the cdp for many years.....as a system the price becomes really ok compared to others, while the hd dac alone seems a lot of dollars.
    really love this nagra-sound, just as you described it.
    i could do with a second amp for more power and i do wonder what the new pre would add

me too.. and in a full nagra system (jazz, cdp, vps, mps, 300p)
    really enjoying it with my nagra cdp and media server
    best DAC I have ever heard...
    next step 2 x classic amps

Super Moderator

Welcome jussy1254!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Today, with my BHSE tube amp + Stax SR009, I compared quite intensively TotalDAC, DAVE, dCS Rossini DAC and the NAGRA HD DAC.

The NAGRA HD DAC with my BHSE was by far the most involving and enjoyable !

I Finally got some saoul & spirit into my music ! Much more than with TotalDAC, DAVE or Rossini, all 3 being very precise and detailed but... NOT very exciting ( to my ear).

Until I heard the HD DAC, I had the feeling that all those high-end DAC sounded almost the same, but with HD DAC there is something more, some emotion I did not get with the other DACs.

So... I wonder if the NAGRA Classic DAC will bring the same magic or if I really need to get (pay) the HD to get this feeling ?

Audioshark

Have you ever tried a Lampizator? To my ears, the DHT in the Lampi Big 7 and GG is outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by bmichels View Post
    Today, with my BHSE tube amp + Stax SR009, I compared quite intensively TotalDAC, DAVE, dCS Rossini DAC and the NAGRA HD DAC.

The NAGRA HD DAC with my BHSE was by far the most involving and enjoyable !

I Finally got some saoul & spirit into my music ! Much more than with TotalDAC, DAVE or Rossini, all 3 being very precise and detailed but... NOT very exciting ( to my ear).

Until I heard the HD DAC, I had the feeling that all those high-end DAC sounded almost the same, but with HD DAC there is something more, some emotion I did not get with the other DACs.

So... I wonder if the NAGRA Classic DAC will bring the same magic or if I really need to get (pay) the HD to get this feeling ?
    The digital section of the Nagra HD DAC was designed by Andreas Koch, who owns Playback Designs. While there is certainly more to the overall performance of any DAC than the digital section alone, I would respectfully suggest that you check out their Merlot DAC if you have the opportunity to do so. It's getting very favorable reviews and is quite reasonably priced compared to the competition. Good listening my friend, and I hope that you soon find your destination DAC.

Nagra HD DAC

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    The digital section of the Nagra HD DAC was designed by Andreas Koch, who owns Playback Designs.
    Before setting up his own joint Andreas Koch was working at Meitner as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    AHHH ! So I shall also look at for example the EMM-XDS1 V2 DAC/CD/SACD which was on my list ? anyone heard it ?

AHHH ! So I shall also look at for example the EMM-XDS1 V2 DAC/CD/SACD which was on my list ? anyone heard it ?
    Yes indeed. I have the Meitner MA1, which is the same product as the EMM Labs DAC 2X, except the latter has some higher quality components. I do like the sound of if, it brings all the details but has no harshness in the sound.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

actually Andreas has quite a bit more relevant experience than that.

he started with Studer/ReVox designing digital in the 80's, then with Dolby again designing digital, then with Sony in the 90's working on designing the 8 channel dsd 'Sonoma' which was the original dsd recording mixing device.

likely Andreas has more dsd background than anyone else and been at it longer.

The Nagra HD is a nice DAC. I can see where many would like its sound. To me the industrial design of Nagra is pretty cool but since many of the products do not fit the standard audio footprint it is hard to mix their products into a setup. Not my first choice but I would never question why someone would desire to purchase it.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Nagra HD DAC

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    Sony in the 90's working on designing the 8 channel dsd 'Sonoma' which was the original dsd recording mixing device.
    This was done together with Meitner at Meitner as Sony contractors in case I remember it correctly and triggered both Meitner's and Koch's DSD development path.

Koch worked first for Meitner before he went to set up Playback Designs (and took the other German guy with him).

db post

I have never heard the famous ACCUPHASE sound. The DAC that I prefer so far is the NAGRA HD DAC. Very musical but very precise.

--> Is ACCUPHASE in the same emotional territory than NAGRA ? Similar or different sound signature ?

Their TOL DP-950 (CD/SACD) + DC-950 (DAC) is at the same price than the NAGRA HD DAC + NAGRA CDT !

Yes indeed. I have the Meitner MA1, which is the same product as the EMM Labs DAC 2X, except the latter has some higher quality components. I do like the sound of if, it brings all the details but has no harshness in the sound.

Please
    provide

Another MA-1 user here. Everything is up sampled to double DSD. The DAC 2 has a much more sophisticated power supply. I enjoy its treble performance, an area a lot of digital has difficulties due to digital filtering.

It beats the Nagra DAC I had previously, (but I am talking about the original Nagra with Sharc DSP). 24/96, 24/192, DSD no problem via the USB interface.

I also have a complete Nagra system. I just received the Nagra Classic Preamp. In few words it blew my mind and exceded my expectations.

This is what my Classic Amp was missing. Jazz Preamp but the classic preamp is many steps ahead. One of the best preamp I've listened to.
    CARLOS

EMM Labs TSDX CD/SACD Transport + DAC2X V2. DAC
    Oracle Delphi MKVI Gen2 + SME Series V & ZYX UNIverse Premium
    Kronos Pro Limited Edition + SME Series V12 & ZYX UNIverse Premium
    Nagra VPS Phono Stage + VFS + MPS
    Absolare Altius Stereo Preamp
    Absolare Altius Push-Pull Mono Amps
    Echole Limited Edition and Omnia Cables
    Torus AVR20 Power Conditioner
    Stabilian Decoupling Feet
    Speakers: Raidho D3 V2 & Raidho D1.1 Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    I also have a complete Nagra system. I just received the Nagra Classic Preamp. In few words it blew my mind and exceded my expectations.

This is what my Classic Amp was missing. Jazz Preamp but the classic preamp is many steps ahead. One of the best preamp I've listened to.
    I am happy for you that you enjoy so much your NAGRA Classic Preamp. I can see in your signature that you have some wonderful "toys" including the great C.E.C. TLOX CD Transport. I hope it sounds as goos as it looks ?

I also see that you owe a HD DAC and a Classic DAC. As you know I am very tempted to get the HD DAC since it is so far the only DAC that was bringing me emotion and soul. All the other TOL DACs that I heard sounded (to y ears) "perfect" but... life-less.

--> My question is: Does the Classic offer also this great Nagra sound or do I have to go the HD DAC to really get this magic that moved me ? Does the HE DAC sound really better than the Classic DAC ? Also, does the MPS really bring a substantial sound quality increase ?
    On the Go: A&K SP1000 > Shure KSE 1500
    At home : ARIES > Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC > BHSE > STAX SR009
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).
    Review Chord MOJO v/s HUGO et WooAudio WA8 v/s TU-05 & HUGO

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

Congrats on your Classic Preamp...can you share more about it vs your former Jazz? My dealer is getting a Classic preamp soon and I'll be able to demo it at home...Thanks in advance
    Speakers: Rockport Altair 2
    Amp: Nagra HD Preamp & Amps
    Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus & Opus Gen 5 Speaker
    Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Power Isolators
    Power Shunyata DPC-6 v2
    Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
    Phono: Grand Prix Monaco TT, Spiral Groove Centroid, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2, Nagra VPS/VFS/MPS
    Racks:
    Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1

After the DAVE, the TotalDAC & the dCS Rossini, I tried today the ARIES CERAT KASSANDRA, a 60 Kg monster, hand made by a guy in Chypre. I tried it connected to my BHSE, with the DAVE also present. I found it a little more airy (open) and enjoyable than the DAVE, only by a slight margin, but .... NAGRA HD DAC remain still my prefered choice.
    My last testing is Wednesday with the VITUS SCD-025 which is a DAC + CD Player in a single box. It is Supposed to be very good sound, and I will have with me again the DAVE to compare. If I like it a lot, this will simplify my set-up by using 1 box instead if 2 ( CD + DAC), if NOT, then I will have to find the... extra budget to buy the NAGRA ;-)

-> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).

Audioshark

After the DAVE, the TotalDAC & the dCS Rossini, I tried today the ARIES CERAT KASSANDRA, a 60 Kg monster, hand made by a guy in Chypre. I tried it connected to my BHSE, with the DAVE also present. I found it a little more airy (open) and enjoyable than the DAVE, only by a slight margin, but .... NAGRA HD DAC remain still my prefered choice.
    My last testing is Wednesday with the VITUS SCD-025 which is a DAC + CD Player in a single box. It is Supposed to be very good sound, and I will have with me again the DAVE to compare. If I like it a lot, this will simplify my set-up by using 1 box instead if 2 ( CD + DAC), if NOT, then I will have to find the... extra budget to buy the NAGRA ;-)

The one box digital hub makes so much sense. I think you'll love the liquid sounds of Vitus.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    The one box digital hub makes so much sense. I think you'll love the liquid sounds of Vitus.

I liked it indeed, so much that... I bought it. it sit now besides my BHSE tube amp & ED445 tube amp. Perfect match (the dAVE was there for comparaison testing)

Attached Images Attached Images

Audioshark

I liked it indeed, so much that... I bought it. it sit now besides my BHSE tube amp & ED445 tube amp. Perfect match (the dAVE was there for comparaison testing)

Nice!

Sorry but the Lampi killed the Nagra HD. Even the dealer was stunned.

Attached Images Attached Images

Would you be able to elaborate more? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoludio View Post
    A Lampi fan I believe

A Lampi fan I believe
    No, just a religious demoer who listens rather than speculate. There isn't much about being a fan here when even the dealer off another brand is stumped. Just wish people will listen to some classical live concerts and actually compare electronics

Full report tomorrow

A Lampi fan I believe
    As for your remark, a very easy way to check a fan boy is to see if I have ever recommended their server and GM70 amps strongly. Not yet. Lukas has to work on those

Hi Bonzo,
    That's a nice system. Is it yours?

A Lampi fan I believe
    Apparently, so is the dealer now. LoL

I heard the Nagra more than a year ago and liked it a lot, but STILL preferred the B7 with the DHTs. The electronics then was Absolare and the speakers were the half a million dollar Stenheim Ref Statement towers.

Lampi is cheaper too.

The Lampi HeadDac got great feedback in Warsaw 2015 show....corroborating what ALRainbow says.
    Lampi is more about sound and less about bling.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post

No surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Hi Bonzo,
    That's a nice system. Is it yours?
    Dealer showroom he said.
    NORMAN

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Apparently, so is the dealer now. LoL

I heard the Nagra more than a year ago and liked it a lot, but STILL preferred the B7 with the DHTs. The electronics then was Absolver and the speakers were the half a million dollar Stenheim Ref Statement towers.

Lampi is cheaper too.

The Lampi HeadDac got great feedback in Warsaw 2015 show....corroborating what ALRainbow says.
    Lampi is more about sound and less about bling.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Dealer showroom he said.
    I have a question unrelated with Nagra HD DAc, prompted by the picture at the dealer showroom: How is the matching of the YGs Haileys with the Burmester amp? Any comments on the pairing are appreciated.
    Tim

Playback Designs mps-5, Nagra Classic Pre, Nagra Classic Amp, YG Carmel 2s, Signal: TaraLabs Muse, Power: Ansuz D & C, Mainz-8D, SRA Craz3 Rack.

So, in your opinion, you and the dealer prefer the Lampizator DAC to the Nagra HD DAC. Others may or may not agree.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    So, in your opinion, you and the dealer prefer the Lampizator DAC to the Nagra HD DAC. Others may or may not agree.

Ken
    Have "others" compared? The difference is too large on all fronts to be a preference. I can understand a preference between Ortofon Anna, a95, and Koetsu. In this case, the Lampi is leagues ahead on all fronts. Fine to disagree, but after you compare. Anyone visiting London is welcome to borrow my Lampi for the comparison.In this case, opinion is backed by experience

http://zero-distortion.org/yg-hailey...-audio-lounge/

Quote Originally Posted by 4music View Post
    I have a question unrelated with Nagra HD DAc, prompted by the picture at the dealer showroom: How is the matching of the YGs Haileys with the Burmester amp? Any comments on the pairing are appreciated.
    http://zero-distortion.org/yg-hailey/ followed by the link I posted in the previous posts should summarize my experience with amps for YGs. I would strongly consider Vitus class A stereo though I have never heard it on the YGs.

Ked, did the Nagra HD use XLR interconnects? and did it have the optional output transformers for those XLR outputs?

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...l=1#post428071

likely I will have the Nagra HD with those transformers in my room briefly this week along side the GG.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    Ked, did the Nagra HD use XLR interconnects? and did it have the optional output transformers for those XLR outputs?

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...l=1#post428071

likely I will have the Nagra HD with those transformers in my room briefly this week along side the GG.
    I didn't check, I will ask and find out.

Have "others" compared? The difference is too large on all fronts to be a preference. I can understand a preference between Ortofon Anna, a95, and Koetsu. In this case, the Lampi is leagues ahead on all fronts. Fine to disagree, but after you compare. Anyone visiting London is welcome to borrow my Lampi for the comparison.In this case, opinion is backed by experience
    Bonzo,

You can declare your opinions are fact all day long but in the end they are still only your opinions. Room, system synergy, musical tastes and personal preference all play into what one considers to be "best".

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Bonzo,

You can declare your opinions are fact all day long but in the end they are still only your opinions. Room, system synergy, musical tastes and personal preference all play into what one considers to be "best".

Ken
    Agree. As an example I really prefer the NAGRA or my VITUS over the DAVE and my best friend find that his DAVE is clearly superior to booth !

Interesting your battery powered comments , I'm of the same opinion , my first battery powered device was in the late 70's and then as you i felt we lost drive and dynamics , smooth but soft . Well since then i have had and heard many different ones over the decades and still hold on to my original findings . Some years ago we were listening to a Pr of Rowland research mono blocs and i had mentioned how the amps sounded smooth but lacked jump almost as if they were Battery powered , turned out they were ...

Most recently a good friend had just finished his Battery powered Phono stage and we both felt it was too laid back and soft sounding vs my Fet10 phono stage , we will see if that changes with a new Linear supply ..

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Interesting your battery powered comments , I'm of the same opinion , my first battery powered device was in the late 70's and then as you i felt we lost drive and dynamics , smooth but soft . Well since then i have had and heard many different ones over the decades and still hold on to my original findings . Some years ago we were listening to a Pr of Rowland research mono blocs and i had mentioned how the amps sounded smooth but lacked jump almost as if they were Battery powered , turned out they were ...

Most recently a good friend had just finished his Battery powered Phono stage and we both felt it was too laid back and soft sounding vs my Fet10 phono stage , we will see if that changes with a new Linear supply ..

Regards
    Just your opinion.

Bonzo,

Ken

The Best Amplifier is usually the best after considering the load being driven and demand , Ked did suggest it could be different on a different pr of speakers just not so on the YG ...

I have encountered the very same effect many times over the years ....

Regards

Just your opinion.

Yes , of the same opinion ....

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    The Best Amplifier is usually the best after considering the load being driven and demand , Ked did suggest it could be different on a different pr of speakers just not so on the YG ...

I have encountered the very same effect many times over the years ....

Regards
    he is not referring to the amps but to Lampi vs Nagra dac

Ohhh OK ... Shamed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Nagra HD DAC