Mis-matched subs - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mis-matched subs

Well I have been playing around a little with the sub just to get it at it's best until the move.... I think I got it doing a very good job by running it low level (I hate running subs from high level input even though REL prefers this) and burying the sub in the corner. This give the REL an added boost from the walls and brings out the nice tight bass that it does so well in. Since I am not a bass head but want some added tight bass it appears to give me a lot of what I like. The little REL actually is currently impressing the heck out of me ....
    Electronics: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, DAC-2v2SE, Recovery, Remedy | Audio Research VT50 |First Watt F6 | Benchmark DAC3 HGC | McIntosh MR85
    Speakers/Headphones: MC RL21 | Gingko Stands | REL TZero | KEF Kube | Sennheiser HD800S | KEF M500
    Sources: Falcon Tiki (Roon Headless Server) | Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Roon Controller) | Marantz SA8005 | Magnum Dynalab ST-2
    Cables: Richard Gray | Wireworld | Audioquest | Tributaries | Kimber Kable | Wyred 4 Sound
    Power: Furman Elite 15i | iFi iPower | PS Audio Noise Harvesters x2

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you're finding something that works, Randy. Actually, I do run mis-matched subs, and I'm a bit concerned about going matched down the road. In my case, it has to do with non-room symmetric positioning of the two different subs. I have stereo subs located right next to L/R speakers. One of them is ported, and the other sealed. However, my L/R speakers are not symmetrically positioned left-right along the room width dimension. It's a large room, and having them off-center doesn't cause soundstage problems in mids/highs, luckily. However, this means that one sub is almost in the middle of the L-R room dimension, while the other is relatively close to a corner (2ft from left wall, and 3ft from front wall).

Aesthetically, I would prefer the ported sub to be the one on the left and somewhat close to a corner. However, due to its porting, it loads the room differently and stronger than the sealed sub. Specifically, when I used REW and put each sub in the two different locations and got independent frequency response graphs from them, it's clear that the sealed sub benefits from room boundary reinforcement. From mid-30's on down, it evens out when in the corner location. While when in the other location, frequency response drops strongly below 30hz. The ported sub stays pretty linear on down to 20hz when in the middle-room location, and becomes even stronger in the corner location. When you put the two together, having the ported close to the corner and sealed in the middle of the room, it's a boomy and uneven frequency response. When you reverse it with sealed close to the corner, and ported in middle room, it's a pretty even frequency response across the board - plus I happen to get some beneficial complementarity in knocking down room nodes/modes that I don't get in the reverse.

So, in my case, non-matching subs actually lets me get a pretty linear response without having to resort to parametric EQ functions on the plate amps or an electronic crossover.

But I definitely couldn't have figured all that out by ears alone.

Post Thanks / Like

That is very cool that you got it to work out. I will wait until we get into the new house ( a long time from now) to look into it further.
    Electronics: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, DAC-2v2SE, Recovery, Remedy | Audio Research VT50 |First Watt F6 | Benchmark DAC3 HGC | McIntosh MR85
    Speakers/Headphones: MC RL21 | Gingko Stands | REL TZero | KEF Kube | Sennheiser HD800S | KEF M500
    Sources: Falcon Tiki (Roon Headless Server) | Microsoft Surface Pro 3 (Roon Controller) | Marantz SA8005 | Magnum Dynalab ST-2
    Cables: Richard Gray | Wireworld | Audioquest | Tributaries | Kimber Kable | Wyred 4 Sound

4. Likes Jim Smith liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

FYI, mixing sealed and ported subs is generally a bad idea, it can cause cancellations on the bottom end of the spectrum.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

2 Channel: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, Manley Mahi Monoblocks, DIY SEOS Waveguide/Dipole Bass Towers
    HT: Marantz AV7005, Wyred 4 MMC5, DIY SEOS Towers, DIY 7CF Sealed 18" Subs
    PC: Wyred 4 Sound mINT, KEF Q100, Hifiman HE-6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Face View Post
    FYI, mixing sealed and ported subs is generally a bad idea, it can cause cancellations on the bottom end of the spectrum.
    Yes, well that's where having REW and a mic at your ear position helps to determine what's working and what's not. I wouldn't want to try to dial in any two subs without this kind of tool. Or really even one sub...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Genjamon View Post
    Yes, well that's where having REW and a mic at your ear position helps to determine what's working and what's not. I wouldn't want to try to dial in any two subs without this kind of tool. Or really even one sub...
    I added a pair of near field subs to the love seat in my HT, that was the only time I've had flat response without any EQ.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

2 Channel: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, Manley Mahi Monoblocks, DIY SEOS Waveguide/Dipole Bass Towers
    HT: Marantz AV7005, Wyred 4 MMC5, DIY SEOS Towers, DIY 7CF Sealed 18" Subs
    PC: Wyred 4 Sound mINT, KEF Q100, Hifiman HE-6

Post Thanks / Like

TBI Magellan subs! Seemless integration.
    http://tbisound.com/dsp_products_subwoofers.asp

Thank me later.
    NORMAN
    M-Mini/ i7PC/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG Dac> Rowen Swiss Power NAD c375BEE /vintage McIntosh 2225/Lampi Silk power cond.+ Phase flipper> Energy 8" sub> Heil AMT Syrinx+Aulos in series-parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. Unpowered USB cable, Uptone Regen. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker

Post Thanks / Like

It has been a long time since posting in this thread. First off, after a few months and dealing with the kids, etc., we decided to stay here on the Central Coast of California. We figured no matter where we go there will be pluses and minusis, but here is pretty amazing (although expensive)... and we are settled. The kids and my audio club are thrilled. Oh, we took the house off the market.

On the sub, I decided to add a basic but solid KEF. Besides being my favorite speaker company they also bring a passive into the mix. Since the one channel is close to the wall, keeping the REL close to the corner but getting the KEF with a slightly larger driver and passive out of the opposing corner seems to work really well!

So far happy with the mix.

10. Likes the professor liked this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4