Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Retirement System In Place

Hi Guys,
    I must admit I have said, many times, "This Is It" and know what, I always renegade and break my word. Until I had one big scare this time, worse than the Gall Stones/Cancer scare few years back. Realised that chasing gears has no end. And so, I carefully, planned, negotiate, audition, seek advises - good, bad and ugly, welcomed (Mike, thanks for being part of this process) and in the end, managed to put together this system in a small room I can now called mine. Yes, I've moved out to a bigger place (almost twice before) as children had grown up, needed more space, privacy (and me too ... ha! ha!).

Actually, I have put up 2 systems, one smallish vintage/Hybrid - at least in name, something I always wanted to own. I will come to this in a later thread.

So, the Retirement System comprises the following:

1. TW Acustics Raven GT se (copper platter) with 2 arms.
    2. An Ortofon RSG309 Japan build latest 12 inch tonearm, to which an Ortofon SPU GM A95 Anniversary was mounted. This is for stereo playback. For mono, I had the TW Acustics Raven 10.5 arm mounted with a Miyajima Zero mono cartridge. Both routed to the Devialet build in configurable Phono Stages.
    3. The trusty older Oppo BDP105. I did not go for the Darbee version as this is so new, it seems like a waste to go for. Yes, eventually, I will do the upgrade when the current player breakdown , but not now. The Video/CD will uses the excellent Devialet build in DAC. The SACD output direct into the analogue RCA of the Devialet. So, I have the best of both worlds. I have thought about having a Esoteric K-01X, but after careful consideration, I would give it a miss as my main music playback are Vinyls, plus my SACD collection is not that much at all.
    4. For standard playback, I have the, for now, a T Loan Audio Note CDT2/II, again, the DA will be the Devialet's. I will get the Audio Note CDT3 set up when its available. The difference are the innards and the playback resolution is so incredible - for a machine that's very less spoken or reviewed.
    5. Power conditioner is the Audience aR12, which I have plans to replace to the higher spec Audience aR12TSS. Of course all string together with Audience AU24 SX series.
    6. Devialet OdA, serial number 077. Simply one word - Nice.
    7. Last but not least, a birthday present (from myself) a pair of Raidho D-3.1 Burl finished speakers. Delivered on my birthday - yesterday, with a small birthday card signed by Lars (2 of them, Venning & Kristensen) and Michael B. They are still being "run-in".
    8. All house in a Solid Tech Hybrid rack. Inexpensive and beautiful. No regrets getting this.
    9. Separately, near the sitting chair, is the Solos C15, where I now selectively kept 2TB worth of music files. Forgot to take this picture. My apologies.
    10. The TV is a 65 inches curve, previous model JS9500.
    11. A KL Audio 200 disc washer, coming in.

So, here's the pictures taken to share. Hope you like them. Cheers

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; October 6, 2016 at 12:31 AM.
    SME Synergy
    Thorens TD147 Jubilee (Restored) + Ortofon A-Mono
    Roon Nucleus+ 4TB + Plixir Elite LPS
    Luxman D-10x (Sep 2020)
    ModWright Oppo UDP205
    Air Tight ATC-5 Pre + ATM300R + ATH-3
    Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
    Audience AU24 SX Cables, Interconnects & aR6 OX Power Conditioner
    DS Audio Ioniser
    Audio-Philar Rack & Amp Stand

Super Moderator

Re: Retirement System In Place

Beautiful Jerry! Well done!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

That walnut burl is stunning! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

Really nice setup , love the TT and music collection......

Audioshark

Jerry - I'm always happy to help - any time. I think you made a great choice for your room and the Devialet is a beauty. So glad there is also SAM now for the 3.1's. What an excellent system!

Can you talk a little about your table? Love the TW stuff.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the compliment. Without your advise, I would not have really, really, deep dive into understanding if I wanted the Raidho or the M3 in my smallish room.

TW Acustic GT se
    1. If I am not wrong, this was supposed to be the entry level turntable from TW.
    2. However, to bridge between this and the Raven AC, and also having higher spec, the se (special edition) was developed. Major change is the copper platter. Hence the name Raven GT se
    3. The arm is 10.5 from them, a very good arm which I help with high regards. As I have lived with the Triplanar for quite some time, I have no wish to continue due to the "trough" at the tonearm area, which held silicon and as time passed, get dirt accumulated, which I hated as I don't know how to rain, clean up and refill.
    4. The TT is quite heavy, and are solidly build. If I am not wrong, its almost all aluminium black. The chassis is 22KG heavy (for a rather smallish turntable, its quite heavy) with a 1KG outboard controller.
    5. The turntable has only one motor and the roller is so close to the platter and in-between the second tonearm board, its almost invisible. The belt, is not the string type, but rather a thicker belt made of rubber (I think).
    Sound? No sound, almost as quiet as the Dr Feickert Foreword I had before. I like it for the size, rather small, dense enough to damp out resonances and very pleasant to the eye. Easy to keep clean too. It does not come with a record stabiliser and hence the still point piece. As tis is a retirement piece, its a keeper. If I do need another turntable, it will have to be a direct drive, the Oasis is what I am eyeing from Brinkmann. Of course, I am also looking at Reed if I wanted something really different - and as nice looking.

So far, each time I spin a vinyl, a lot these days, it never fails to please me. I seem to forget it even existed until the last piece of the vinyl repeats itself at the end of the groove. For the price, its really worth a look. For the build, its really up there with the best, albeit simpler and a bit more humble (and not so loud like its higher level brethren, where theres a lot of motors).

Cheers
    SME Synergy
    Luxman D-10x (Sep 2020)
    ModWright Oppo UDP205
    DS Audio Ioniser

Audioshark

Thanks Jerry. It's interesting that you mention a direct drive turntable. I was just saying to a few folks today that I would love a DD table. Something about the DD that had such excellent PRAT. Maybe a Brinkman Bardo? I wasn't aware that the Oasis was also DD.

The TW is a keeper I'm sure. They build wonderful tables. I love the look of the copper platter as well.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Hi Mike,

Oasis is a DD turntable. An extract from their website:

Brinkmann Oasis

Specifications

Drive: Direct Drive
    Dimensions: (WxDxH) 520 x 400 x 125 mm
    Weight: 26 kg
    Platter weight: 10 kg, Ø 316 mm, height 50 mm.
    Platter surface: planar polished crystal glass (recessed mounting)
    Tonearm base: available for 9...10.5'' tonearms (arm mountings available for virtually any tonearm),
    easy and quick exchange and adjustments are provided via a collar system.
    Wood plinth: maple, cherry high gloss, makassar high gloss oder rosewood high gloss;
    other wood finishes and colors available upon request.
    Included in delivery: turntable, screw-down record clamp, power supply, tools
    Options: additional arm bases, dust cover

Cheers
    SME Synergy
    Luxman D-10x (Sep 2020)
    ModWright Oppo UDP205
    DS Audio Ioniser

Hi Jerry, great looking system you have there. I see that you have been shopping from my friends Desmond and Cecil

Yes Keith, this system entirely with Desmond. Retirement buy.
    SME Synergy
    Luxman D-10x (Sep 2020)
    ModWright Oppo UDP205
    DS Audio Ioniser

Desmond and I were friends back in university

Like you said, one word, NICE!

Congrats and may you enjoy that setup for many years.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Thanks guys for the well wishes.
    SME Synergy
    Luxman D-10x (Sep 2020)
    ModWright Oppo UDP205
    DS Audio Ioniser

Jerry...
    You built a superb system my friend ! Really.
    Congratulations and enjoy it for many years in great health !
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Yup, after 2 scare, indeed Health IS Wealth.

And of course thereafter, Family & Friends. Followed by Music then hobbies, if there is any for me at the moment. Thats my priority.

Thanks everyone for the well wishing and though I may be MIA every now and then, rest assured I will stay active reading and maybe posting some new finds if I do come across that I felt would raise some interest.

Cheers!
    SME Synergy
    Luxman D-10x (Sep 2020)
    ModWright Oppo UDP205
    DS Audio Ioniser

Congrats! Very nice system! Enjoy this new chapter of your life.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Congrats. So beautiful - love the silver gear with equipment rack and holy cow the burled walnut looks amazing. Smart use of cds as diffusor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very nice Jerry!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Quote Originally Posted by Dpod4 View Post
    Congrats. So beautiful - love the silver gear with equipment rack and holy cow the burled walnut looks amazing. Smart use of cds as diffusor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thanks. Seriously, by hook by crook or by chance, the 2 storage cabinets does dampen the room off resonances. The front wall, built on purpose for the hung TV was intended to damp the same wall, with soft leather like material wrapped over foam.

For sure, the room is now almost dead quiet, music flows through with the smallest of details and transparency - more importantly musicality. I am really lucky and have to thank my contractor for this suggestion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SME Synergy
    Luxman D-10x (Sep 2020)
    ModWright Oppo UDP205
    DS Audio Ioniser

Congratulations Jerry!

What an excellent room to listen to music.
    Definitely one area of your retirement you have planned very well!

Enjoy the music!
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Very nice indeed!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Jerry, What is the size of your room and how far are the speakers from the front wall? How far apart are they and distance from speakers to your ear?

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan View Post
    Jerry, What is the size of your room and how far are the speakers from the front wall? How far apart are they and distance from speakers to your ear?
    Hi zagfan,

Room size is 2.7m x 5.4m (length).

Speakers are 1.65m apart (middle of left speaker to middle of right speaker) and 2m from centre of speaker to ear (listening level, seated).

Speaker from front wall is 1.17m (to rear of speaker) and chair (seated position is 1.6m) from rear wall.

All measurements to nearest estimate as possible as unable to use metal measuring tape too close as "accident" might happen. Sorry about this.

Thanks
    SME Synergy
    Luxman D-10x (Sep 2020)
    ModWright Oppo UDP205
    DS Audio Ioniser

Love the pics of your porn collection.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    LMAO! You saw that too huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    LMAO! You saw that too huh?

Yep.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    LMAO!
    Paul

You guys are sharp! Those were collected 15 years ago when in the US. In fact, I was supposed to throw them all away while moving but had chose to keep them for memories. Well, my wife was mad at me keeping them and told me off that it will embarrass me. In the end, they are still thrown away, after the pictures were taken and she spotted them. Told her you guys will not laugh when you spotted them and blare it out loud. Anyway, just show how much fun you all had. Hope you guys won't have a aching jaw. Cheers!
    SME Synergy
    Luxman D-10x (Sep 2020)
    ModWright Oppo UDP205
    DS Audio Ioniser

Great system! Congrats! May you enjoy it in good health!
    Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon HC < AQ WEL Signature XLR < Chord Qutest w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < SOtM tX-USBultra w 75Ohm Master Clock Input, Paul Hynes SR5-12 Turbo XL & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Aurender N-100H w AQ Dragon Source < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Solid Tech Hybrid < Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Darkz D2, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < Furutech FT-SWS < Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Retirement System In Place