Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Audioshark

Atlantic DAC - Incoming

I've been going back and forth with Norman on the new Atlantic DAC. I decided to order one this morning.

I pimped it out with:

Single Ended (because R2R is only available on SE, not balanced)
    R2R
    Tube Rectifier
    DSD512

$5775 + shipping.

I also ordered the Lampizator Power Cord and USB Cable to try out.

The Atlantic DAC uses Direct Heated 4P1L pentode tubes running in triode mode.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Atlantic DAC - Incoming

Is it model from Lampizator?
    I have vitus dac RD 100.
    Want to try lampizator or accuphase D 37

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tube rectifier? That's a surprise. I didn't think that was an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

I've been going back and forth with Norman on the new Atlantic DAC. I decided to order one this morning.

I pimped it out with:

R2R
    Tube Rectifier
    DSD512

$5775 + shipping.

Eager to hear your feedback.

I am still waiting to hear one myself! Looks very promising.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLet View Post
    Tube rectifier? That's a surprise. I didn't think that was an option.
    Lukasz said it will be an entirely parallel range to the DHT L7 type Dacs...so Bal/Preamp/tube or SS recti/and chipless DSD512 versions will all be available.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Lukasz said it will be an entirely parallel range to the DHT L7 type Dacs...so Bal/Preamp/tube or SS recti/and chipless DSD512 versions will all be available.
    Did he share the reasons for creating a parallel range? Was it to offer a choice between DHP vs DHT? And, wouldn't this potentially cannibalise the 7 series sales? Initially, the Atlantic was intended to be offered with no options. Thanks.

Had I known the tube rectifier was an option I might have sprung for that myself. The ss version is still very good and is easily better than the L4 I had.

The Atlantic runs so cool I can literally hold on to the tubes and its only warm to the touch. I've never heard a B7 or GG in my system so it will be interesting to see what Mike thinks of it compared to them.

Quote Originally Posted by nicoludio View Post
    Did he share the reasons for creating a parallel range? Was it to offer a choice between DHP vs DHT? And, wouldn't this potentially cannibalise the 7 series sales? Initially, the Atlantic was intended to be offered with no options. Thanks.
    No he didnt...but he seems excited by its value proposition and is a different diund to the dhts.
    NORMAN

Hey Mike, how much extra was the tube rectifier option?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by tomy2 View Post
    Hey Mike, how much extra was the tube rectifier option?
    $500 Euros.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I pimped it out with:

R2R
    Tube Rectifier
    DSD512

$5775 + shipping.

Mark my words once you receive this and have played it for a few hours Mike you will be raving about how wonderful it sounds... There's nothing else like it at or near that price point that I know of... I'm told, yes, it's that good! Only thing that would make it better is revamping the design to get the tubes in the chassis (for more versatility with placement in racks etc)

$500 Euros.
    Thanks for the reply!

Were you told the type of rectifier it takes? And can it be rolled?

Quote Originally Posted by tomy2 View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

Were you told the type of rectifier it takes? And can it be rolled?
    Any of the normal 5v rectis and yes, rollable.
    NORMAN

Quote Originally Posted by La Dolce Vita View Post
    Mark my words once you receive this and have played it for a few hours Mike you will be raving about how wonderful it sounds... There's nothing else like it at or near that price point that I know of... I'm told, yes, it's that good! Only thing that would make it better is revamping the design to get the tubes in the chassis (for more versatility with placement in racks etc)

Yeah, I was told the tubes will be recessed on top to allow fitting into racks but still with enuff exposed to change them out by hand and to roll the recti.
    NORMAN

Ist review up.

Cant wait to hear what Mike thinks, as he has more GG, L7 experience than Scot has.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2016/...-atlantic-dac/
    NORMAN

Super Moderator

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    "You want tubes? I got tubes!"

It would be interesting if the top plate were to be aluminium, like the 7 series. Aesthetics will improve by quite a bit.

Sure would have been nice to have all these options when ordering my Atlantic a few weeks ago. Talk about bad timing.

I'm guessing Lukasz must have caved in to complaints about not having any choices.

But...the stock form of the Atlantic is really nice.

Atlantic DAC - Incoming

Yup, things tend to change fast in the Lampi world. This is what was mentioned on the EU website:

"What it does not have: DSD512 is not available for this price point, also fully balanced topology is not in the Atlantic program. And no, it can’t have headphone output or concealed tubes. Tube rolling is also not possible (and totally unnecessary)."

Guess it would still be possible for owners to send their units back for an update.

In any case, making the Lampi sound more accessible with a more compact form factor would be a good idea.

I am very interested in hearing this dac too. Enjoy, Mike.

While aesthetics won't change the sound, the Atlantic is rather spartan in appearance. The gloss black top on the "7's" looks very nice.
    Further, upon building my L5 Lampizator, I incorporated a black Corian faceplate with beveled edges. It really made it look like a much more upscaled piece of kit (as the brits say).
    In some photos of the new Atlantic I noticed that Neutrik BNC jacks were used but not Neutrik RCA jacks. Personally I think it would have looked better if matching.
    All of this is just nitpicking and the sound is the most important part but at these prices, a little bit of window dressing would be more than welcome. My 2cents FWIW.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Kronos Sparta / Miyajima Madake / New Audio Frontiers Stradivari Phono / Taiko Extreme / Aqua Acoustics Formula XHD / Townshend Allegri Reference / New Audio Frontiers Reference 845 Mono SE / Marten Coltrane Soprano / Artesania Audio Exoteryc rack / Daiza Isolation

Super Moderator

Great review and I still say Lukasz is a genius. Time to give the Atlantic a spin. Good times ahead.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    While aesthetics won't change the sound, the Atlantic is rather spartan in appearance. The gloss black top on the "7's" looks very nice.
    Further, upon building my L5 Lampizator, I incorporated a black Corian faceplate with beveled edges. It really made it look like a much more upscaled piece of kit (as the brits say).
    In some photos of the new Atlantic I noticed that Neutrik BNC jacks were used but not Neutrik RCA jacks. Personally I think it would have looked better if matching.
    All of this is just nitpicking and the sound is the most important part but at these prices, a little bit of window dressing would be more than welcome. My 2cents FWIW.
    any pictures of the corian?
    NORMAN

Attached Images Attached Images
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

It would be interesting if the top plate were to be aluminium, like the 7 series. Aesthetics will improve by quite a bit.
    Just saw this on the Lampi FB page:

"The anodised alu will be ready soon. And BTW all our products have ALU chassis, never steel, abandoned 4 years ago. Only the alu is painted instead of anodizing which gives more consistent look."

Just saw this on the Lampi FB page:

"The anodised alu will be ready soon. And BTW all our products have ALU chassis, never steel, abandoned 4 years ago. Only the alu is painted instead of anodizing which gives more consistent look."
    That's awesome. I forget to check the Facebook page from time to time. That Taipei Show/trip looked amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by jadedavid View Post
    I have to completely agree regarding the looks of Lampi DACs, I understand that costs need to be kept down, but at the highest level aesthetic frugality should be set aside, the Golden Gate and Big 7 top panels look great but are let down by the austerity of the front panel which looks very much like a DIY effort, when you have and pay for the best you want the product to look like it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan View Post
    I have to completely agree regarding the looks of Lampi DACs, I understand that costs need to be kept down, but at the highest level aesthetic frugality should be set aside, the Golden Gate and Big 7 top panels look great but are let down by the austerity of the front panel which looks very much like a DIY effort, when you have and pay for the best you want the product to look like it too.
    I want it to SOUND it. Not too enthralled with visual bling...I want auditory bling. Besides, they are CHEAP compared to the others that have sound in the same ballpark. Go buy an MSB Select and you need mortgage....unless you are loaded.
    Besides, tastes differ. Dartzeel case work is very expensive to produce and yet I have seen people saying that they find it ugly.
    NORMAN

My only critique is on the visual side, no argument to be had on sound or price to performance, I have the utmost admiration for Lukasz and lust after his products. I agree that in audio normally form follows function, but once you reach the High End and are paying megabucks you want something aesthetically pleasing that looks the part; the Golden Gate as a statement product only differs in its colour, if you´re going all out on parts you should go all out on design too.

+1

Would be great to see the casing match the parts and design quality without going over the top.

Plus, a more solid casing and design would help in minimising vibration. Machined from solid billet would be wishful thinking although if they were to sub-contract the design and manufacture to, for example, the supplier to Aurender, that would be nice.

I hear you guys, but all that won't come without matching price increases. I have been to the Dartzeel factory and his toppling mono blocks sell for about $150K a pair and are all pre-sold. Well on my last visit to the factory he has like 10 faceplates destined to the dump due to defect. When I asked him to point it out, he couldn't see any but was confident his guys who use loops found some and so they were rejected. Each one costs about $1K to him, so that was $10K down the drain!

That is the type of economics one gets into when doing bling casework and somebody has got to pay for that...

I rather pay for things sonically related.
    NORMAN

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Great review and I still say Lukasz is a genius. Time to give the Atlantic a spin. Good times ahead.
    It would be the perfect comeback piece for you!
    Purpose Built Listening Room: Intuitive Audio Design Gamma Summit Speakers, Gallo CLS-10 subwoofers (2), LampizatOr Pacific, LampizatOr Super Komputer, Musical Concepts Haffler DH-500 (Ultra Elite package), Theorem Acoustics Wave bridge power conditioner, Cables by Theorem Acoustics, Dynamic Deisgn & cables, Verastarr. Room design by Dale Pitcher.

Family Room Rig: Vapor Audio Stiff Breeze, LampizatOr Golden Atlantic, LampizatOr Super Komputer, Musical Design D-75B (with John Hillig's PA-6 upgrades), Pi Audio Uberbuss, Dynamic Design reference cables, Danacable USB.

Industry Affiliation............North American Distributor of LampizatOr Audio.

www.lampizatorna.com

Super Moderator

My thoughts exactly. I miss that wonderful Lampizator sound. When you get your demo, I'd like to come over with Bruce and have a listen. I can easily see one in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopher View Post
    It would be the perfect comeback piece for you!

NAD C 658 streamer.

I rather pay for things sonically related.
    I want both SQ and good industrial design. If you are listening for many hours each day no SQ will make up for having to look at poor industrial design.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I want both SQ and good industrial design. If you are listening for many hours each day no SQ will make up for having to look at poor industrial design.
    I am never looking when listening...Poor design or lack of bling? Not the same thing to me. Different strokes for different folks and as I said taste is very subjective.

For instance I hate the look of the Wilson Alexandria, but I suspect they sound great. Due to size and prominence, speakers are the components I am most concerned about in terms of looks...mainly due to WAF.
    NORMAN

I am never looking when listening...Poor design or lack of bling? Not the same thing to me. Different strokes for different folks and as I said taste is very subjective.

For instance I hate the look of the Wilson Alexandria, but I suspect they sound great. Due to size and province, speakers are the components I am most concerned about in terms of looks...mainly due to WAF.
    My wife has no desire to enter my two channel room so WAF is a non issue. I am the one who dislikes clutter and the industrial design of a lot of gear.
    Jim

I could care less for design and price tags and look at sound. Same with restaurants, I experiment with them a lot in London and invariably have some expensive favorites, and some cheap ones. Nothing pisses me off more than an expensive restaurant with food not tasting good. Same with hifi, I would rather Lampi spend on the sonics - the power supply, the analog output, etc.

Lukasz can offer a Lampi premium Diamond gate if he chooses, for those who like to look and touch and listen. But I think Lampi's core was built out of marketing itself, word of mouth, to those who cared for the sonics, and were getting a steal. When Michael Phelp's and Oprah's agent calls the most famous dealer in the city for a hifi system, he probably does not go on sonics but on price tags and furniture looks.

That said even a big dac like a GG with quality tubes looks prettier to me than a plain SS case.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    I could care less for design and price tags and look at sound. Same with restaurants, I experiment with them a lot in London and invariably have some expensive favorites, and some cheap ones. Nothing pisses me off more than an expensive restaurant with food not tasting good. Same with hifi, I would rather Lampi spend on the sonics - the power supply, the analog output, etc.

Lukasz can offer a Lampi premium Diamond gate if he chooses, for those who like to look and touch and listen. But I think Lampi's core was built out of marketing itself, word of mouth, to those who cared for the sonics, and were getting a steal. When Michael Phelp's and Oprah's agent calls the most famous dealer in the city for a hifi system, he probably does not go on sonics but on price tags and furniture looks.

That said even a big dac like a GG with quality tubes looks prettier to me than a plain SS case.
    That's about the best you can say about tubes, they look pretty.
    Jim

That's about all you can say about tubes, they look pretty.
    And sound real.

And sound real.
    Glad your ears think so.
    Jim

That's about the best you can say about tubes, they look pretty.
    Matter of opinion that!

You say tomato, I say ToMAAHto. LoL

I don't really like most SS Dacs...DRY..need a glass of water to endure a listening session.
    NORMAN

Matter of opinion that!
    Absolutely!! This hobby is all opinion.
    Jim

Glad your ears think so.
    Sad yours don't.

Sad yours don't.
    When I go to the symphony, a concert or local venue, the last thing I want the music to sound like is tubes. I want it to sound live.
    Jim

When I go to the symphony, a concert or local venue, the last thing I want the music to sound like is tubes. I want it to sound live.
    You should go more. I roughly went to 40 live classical concerts last year, if not more. Now in September itself in one week I have 4. One thing I definitely do not hear is violins from top and bass from bottom like your speakers do.

These are mostly at Barbican, some at Wigmore Hall, Southbank, etc...Luxuries of living and working in central London.

Apologies to the mods - but really did not see why Jim was on this thread if he did not want to contribute

You should go more. I roughly went to 40 live classical concerts last year, if not more. Now in September itself in one week I have 4. One thing I definitely do not hear is violins from top and bass from bottom like your speakers do.

These are mostly at Barbican, some at Wigmore Hall, Southbank, etc...Luxuries of living and working in central London.

Apologies to the mods - but really did not see why Jim was on this thread if he did not want to contribute
    I only entered to discuss "industrial design doesn't matter" comments. I usually stay out of the sandbox where tubes are discussed.
    Jim

I only entered to discuss "industrial design doesn't matter" comments. I usually stay out of the sandbox where tubes are discussed.
    That's fine there are many of us who care for the sonics alone. And that is a personal choice. But then no need to take the thread downhill by going on a tube dac thread and suggesting points to diss it in a generic fashion. Normally, we would not go on a Wilson Alexx/Sabrina thread to say how the robotic looks and the crossovers cause us a problem. Sure, if you compared the Atlantis to a SS dac and liked the latter, feel free to add.

Have you ever heard a Level 7 Lampi Dac? If not, then its hard to converse with you. It not about sounding tubey at all...
    NORMAN

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Atlantic DAC - Incoming