Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Atlantic DAC - Incoming

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hi Bill - my new Atlantic has the super clock in it and the new PCM engine R2R (which is terrific).

Compared to my Big 7, the PCM took the biggest leap to my ears. DSD was always superb. But now PCM is damn close.

For ~$5K, this Atlantic DAC is stupid good - especially being fed from the Aurender N10.
    Hi Mike,

But which PCM engine were you running on the big 7? My GG PCM engine (r2r discrete) was epic before super clocks anyway. I wonder whether your Atlantic has a better PCM engine than your big 7 so you are hearing that.

You want to hear a GG with super clock then...

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophile bill View Post
    Hi Mike,

But which PCM engine were you running on the big 7? My GG PCM engine (r2r discrete) was epic before super clocks anyway. I wonder whether your Atlantic has a better PCM engine than your big 7 so you are hearing that.

You want to hear a GG with super clock then...
    My Big 7 has the R2R. I just need to activate some firmware update and it will auto switch from PCM to DSD. It's getting shipped off tomorrow for that upgrade.

Bill, I'm half wondering if these little tubes in the Atlantic are truly that good. I think they may be real sleepers.

Your GG must be wonderful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

My Big 7 has the R2R. I just need to activate some firmware update and it will auto switch from PCM to DSD. It's getting shipped off tomorrow for that upgrade.

Bill, I'm half wondering if these little tubes in the Atlantic are truly that good. I think they may be real sleepers.

I haven't heard the Atlantic yet but feedback seems to be great from the user reviews. Sounds like a no brainer at that point in the market so sure Lampi should sell a lot of these. I am no tube expert so not sure about the dhp versus dht.

Cheers

mike...when your b7 comes back....buckle up. the fw update will be a stunner.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    mike...when your b7 comes back....buckle up. the fw update will be a stunner.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I've had the Atlantic in the house for a few weeks and have to say this a very impressive Dac. I'm used to the Lampi sound as I've a few friends who have them, GG, L4, Lite 7 and I've heard them many times. I was also at Munich this year and heard the GG and the Der Siebener so I guess I'm fully switched onto the house sound that Lukas delivers in his designs.

i use a Mac Mini using Audirvana + upsampling all PCM to DSD 128, I've also quite a large library of DSD music. Whilst I've had this Dac in the house I've played many many genres of music especially Jazz which I have to say is really really very good at presenting the music, the Atlantic gets out of the way and he music just simply flows, the replay of horns and reed instruments is superb which is a real box ticker for me!

Over to rock music, I love Led Zeppelin (ask Bonzo on here) and a Dac has to be able to play LZ. Playing since I've been lovin you from Zep 3 is fantastic, the sound of the Les Paul is very creamy and very much in the room and The bass pedals from the Hammond organ never overpowers the room, which it can at times!. I've played many rock albums through the Atlantic and as of yet none have disappointed. Back In Black by AC/DC never sounded so bloody good!

The version I've got is pretty much standard, no tube recti or superclocks etc, all standard pretty much as it was intended to be, I've been that impressed with the Atlantic I went and brought it, like some have said on here at the price point it's a no brainer!

Rest of my system is Autotech Horn Mummy speakers, Audionote UK Empress Silver mono blocks and Hattor Passive preamp

Anyon in the UK living in or around the West Midlands fancies having a listen then feel free to drop me a PM and come round for a listen

Finally many thanks to Greg at G Point Audio the Lampi distributor for the UK for making this happen

Very best

Lee
    Amps - Audio Note Empress Silver
    Speakers - AutoTech Mummys
    Dac - Lampizator Atlantic
    Pre - Hattor Passive Pre
    Source - Mac Mini / Audirvana +
    TT - Notts Analogue Hyperspace with OL arm and Rhondo Bronze cart
    Phono - EAR 834p modded
    Cables - Audio Note / Western Electric / Albedo

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post

The version I've got is pretty much standard, no tube recti or superclocks etc, all standard pretty much as it was intended to be, I've been that impressed with the Atlantic I went and brought it, like some have said on here at the price point it's a no brainer!
    Rock on Lee!

Standard version rules!!

Quote Originally Posted by tomy2 View Post
    Rock on Lee!

Standard version rules!!
    Indeed Tomy, rocking in the real world mate!
    Pre - Hattor Passive Pre
    Phono - EAR 834p modded

Cool Re: Atlantic DAC - Incoming

Yeah it was sounding pretty special the other day matey. Works really well with your AN amps. I'm glad you went for it.
    DAC - Lampizator Golden Gate.
    Music Streamer - Lampizator Transport and Mac Mini/Audirvana+.
    Preamp - Hattor Ultimate and Firebottle Kin.
    Power Amp - Lampizator GM70 SET monoblocks.
    Speakers - Horns FP15 speakers on bespoke Rogoz stands.
    Cables - Skogrand, Gekko Cables, Verictum, Gigawatt and Albedo Silver.
    Power conditioning - Gigawatt PC4-EVO.
    Accessories - Synergistic Research and Verictum fuses. Albedo Cermo footers.
    Room / other tuning - GiK Acoustics tuned traps, Synergistic Research FEQ, HFT and ECT.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum rjs, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by rjs View Post
    Yeah it was sounding pretty special the other day matey. Works really well with your AN amps. I'm glad you went for it.
    Hi Robert.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Hi Robert.
    Hi Norman, we haven't spoken in a while. Hope you are well? I reckon this Atlantic DAC is a real winner from what I've heard so far. But I haven't yet heard it at home. Lee lives close to me, and is going to bring his Atlantic it to my place so I can have a listen. Will be interesting to compare the differences to the Golden Gate DAC in my rig.
    Room / other tuning - GiK Acoustics tuned traps, Synergistic Research FEQ, HFT and ECT.

Hi Norman, we haven't spoken in a while. Hope you are well? I reckon this Atlantic DAC is a real winner from what I've heard so far. But I haven't yet heard it at home. Lee lives close to me, and is going to bring his Atlantic it to my place so I can have a listen. Will be interesting to compare the differences to the Golden Gate DAC in my rig.
    it sure will be interesting to compare the 2 Dacs, something we need to set up mate
    Pre - Hattor Passive Pre
    Phono - EAR 834p modded

All is well. I hope you are fine too.

I suspect your GG is recent vintage or recently updated, no?
    NORMAN

All is well. I hope you are fine too.

I suspect your GG is recent vintage or recently updated, no?
    Yeah I'm good, thanks. Ah, actually no mine sounds amazing but is from the first run, although I've rolled the tubes since: KR 45 on the output, EML 5U4G mesh rectifier. I've yet to hear the latest upgrades. I'm told the new clock is something else tho ;-).

Ps I've been lucky enough to be able to get two pairs of the second limited batch of EML Lampi Anniversary 45s. Will be having fun with those *very* soon.

Hi guys,
    any news on the difference between tube rectifier and solid state PSU?
    I´m in the process of ordering a fully loaded Atlantic and I only have to make up my mind which version to order.
    Cheers
    Kai

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by lampi345 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I´m in the process of ordering a fully loaded Atlantic and I only have to make up my mind which version to order.
    Cheers
    Kai
    What's the rest of your system? What kind of music do you listen to?

Hi guys,
    Cheers
    Kai
    Sadly not just yet. There's hopefully a tube rectified Atlantic coming over with Lucasz Fikus for the Windsor show next weekend. Lee Henley wants to compare it with his ss rectified Atlantic, and I'm curious to hear that myself!

Thanks to Lee I've now had the chance to compare the Atlantic with my Golden Gate in my own system. So what I can say is that the Atlantic is crazy good. So ultimately yes the GG is better sonically, but the gap isn't quite as wide as I'd expected ;-).

The rest of my system is rather lean.
    As source I run a Logitech Transporter and my loudspeakers are active three-way studio speakers, ME Geithain 922K.
    I currently have a Lampi Level 5 Balanced with variable volume. It´s three years old and comes in two boxes.
    Cheers
    Kai

Audioshark

Kai - if your system is lean, then go with the tube rectifier Atlantic.

Hi.
    Someone has bought (maybe Mike, who owns both) the Lumin A1 with A1 connected to the Atlantic DAC by s / pdif?
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    Hi.
    Someone has bought (maybe Mike, who owns both) the Lumin A1 with A1 connected to the Atlantic DAC by s / pdif?
    Yes, you can do this, but SPDIF won't pass DSD and is far from an ideal connection. But it works.

Hi Mike.I really have misspoke.What I wanted to know is, if I connected the Hi Mike.
    I really have misspoke. What I wanted to know is, if I connected the A1 to the Atlantic, the sound is better, than that produced the A1 alone.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    Hi Mike.I really have misspoke.What I wanted to know is, if I connected the Hi Mike.
    I really have misspoke. What I wanted to know is, if I connected the A1 to the Atlantic, the sound is better, than that produced the A1 alone.
    I'm really a big fan of the A1. It's still my favorite Lumin - all things considered. I haven't compared the Lumin A1 vs the Atlantic via SPDIF.

I have some incredible digital sources: Lumin, Lampizator, Berkeley REF 2, Chord DAVE, PS Audio DirectStream, Aurender, Ayre QX-5 Twenty (incoming). We could have one hell of a shoot out if you lived here!

Tube rectifier vs solid state PSU

Any news on the difference between the different PSUs in the Atlantic?
    Thanks!
    Kai

Re: Tube rectifier vs solid state PSU

Any news on the difference between the different PSUs in the Atlantic?
    Thanks!
    Kai
    I think its the tube vs SS that is the big difference. i dont think the PSU itself would be different.
    NORMAN

I'm really a big fan of the A1. It's still my favorite Lumin - all things considered. I haven't compared the Lumin A1 vs the Atlantic via SPDIF.

I have some incredible digital sources: Lumin, Lampizator, Berkeley REF 2, Chord DAVE, PS Audio DirectStream, Aurender, Ayre QX-5 Twenty (incoming). We could have one hell of a shoot out if you lived here!
    I would fly in for that!
    Tannoy Westminster GR and ST-200 Supertweeter, Finale Audio 300B Mono's, Thoress Full Function Preamp, Thoress 845 Mono's, Found Music 2A3 Mono's, , Line Magnetic 219IA, Lumin A1, Lumin U1, EMM Labs DAC-2X, Lampizator Golden Atlantic DAC, Sansui TU-717, Kenwood KT-7500, Belden 8402 IC's, Duelund 16GA speaker wire

Me too from Australia Atlantic DAC - Incoming.

Only a 90 minute drive for me!
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

Uh oh, Mike...I feel a session coming on. LoL
    NORMAN

6moons review is in

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/lampizator2/1.html

Stock Atlantic w/out upgrades.

The short version: they thought it was very good in PCM, and one of the best available in DSD.

Taking this together with the hifiknights review (which was a recommended read by the 6moons review), the conclusion would have to be that if you like to listen to DSD, or with PCM upsampled to DSD, this is probably the DAC to get if you can't afford a Golden Gate.
    GIK Room Treatments>CAPS4 Pipeline (Roon + HQP)>microRendu> (LPS-1 power supply)>Mytek 192 DSD DAC>Odyssey Kismet (Khartago case) stereo amp>Devore Gibbon Nines.
    Isol-8 MiniSub Axis Power Filtering and protection. Also Dual 506 refurbished TT (not in use); 2 SBTouch; SB Boom.

Re: 6moons review is in

Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/lampizator2/1.html

Stock Atlantic w/out upgrades.

The short version: they thought it was very good in PCM, and one of the best available in DSD.

Taking this together with the hifiknights review (which was a recommended read by the 6moons review), the conclusion would have to be that if you like to listen to DSD, or with PCM upsampled to DSD, this is probably the DAC to get if you can't afford a Golden Gate.
    I couldn't agree more mate, having compared a GG to my Atlantic which is stock, the Atlantic sure does perform quite admirably against the GG.

In the very very near future I'll get the opportunity to compare the stock Atlantic to a tube rectified version, hopefully next week if all goes to plan

here is a pic of the incoming Dac as seen at the UK Windsor HiFi show, stay tuned folks

https://www.flickr.com/gp/142992602@N06/8o3k8d
    Pre - Hattor Passive Pre
    Phono - EAR 834p modded

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Henley View Post
    I couldn't agree more mate, having compared a GG to my Atlantic which is stock, the Atlantic sure does perform quite admirably against the GG.

In the very very near future I'll get the opportunity to compare the stock Atlantic to a tube rectified version, hopefully next week if all goes to plan

here is a pic of the incoming Dac as seen at the UK Windsor HiFi show, stay tuned folks

https://www.flickr.com/gp/142992602@N06/8o3k8d
    Feedback on the tube recti version:

The Atlantic is very emotionally engaging and is an amazing value. If you decide to get it (I am assuming single ended version), my vote would be to get it tube rectified, with additional DSD512 "chipless" engine and with full superclocks! We just had a demo event in Liechtenstein with it and the German Lite7 (der Seibener) and while the Siebener had the more clinical sound (and perhaps BOLDER presentation), we all preferred the Atlantic (personal taste?). The stock recti (Soviet 5Y3) was very decent, but was less HF extended than the favourite 5R4gy (double MICA construction with ceramic spacer - normally branded as Fivre/Haltron/Zaerix/CEI, etc) and generally costs a max of $50 delivered on EBAY! The next favourite was the RCA-JAN WW2 5R4GY which is normally less that $80 delivered! I was shocking how much difference the recti makes. We even tried a plug in SS recti and that was the worst. Ironically, the most expensive we tried was a NOS 1957 Phillips metal base GZ34 (up to $600 online) and while it was the most transparent and extended, some of the guys noted a tonality upshift which was not natural. Who knows what a Lampi KR5u4g, Tak 247b or WE NOS 274b would bring to the party?

Brian: I never heard the Amber 1 or Amber 2, but I am told its entry level price but FAR from entry level sound. I may even be a bigger bargain in absolute terms, but I cant see it beating even a stock Atlantic (based on feedback I read). The Atlantic sounds waaaaay better than I expected.

The Atlantic is a destination Dac for many many people. I have heard of 4 'philes who have stopped thinking of any future upgrades...they are DONE!
    NORMAN

Someone can tell me if the Atlantic balanced, has discrete R2R DAC
    Francisco

I think the Bal Atlantic will be made in the bigger Lite7 chassis...unless its the stock version. The small box won't allow for Bal plus other options. Not 100% sure though.
    NORMAN

I think the Bal Atlantic will be made in the bigger Lite7 chassis...unless its the stock version. The small box won't allow for Bal plus other options. Not 100% sure though.
    Based on the picture posted by Fred (Gopher) the Atlantic that is going to put in an appearance @ the GTG in Princeton NJ next Saturday seems to be the smaller chassis with remote and tube recti.

A quote from the 6moons review:"the LampizatOr uses two separate paths for PCM and DSD. For the latter, the FPGA is programmed as a simple analog low pass filter whose output goes straight into the tube stage. There is no DSD to PCM conversion so the DSD signal bypasses the R-2R ladder altogether. "
    If I read this correctly, the DAC, that 6moons reviewed, is not a stock Atlantic, as it had a separate engine for DSD. The stock Atlantic supports DSD through the R2R engine and switches between PCM and DSD automatically. So, all the conclusions that 6moons made about DSD sound have been made based on the sound of the old Lampizator analog filter based DSD engine..
    System: Antipodes DX > Lampizator L4 > Coincident Statement Line Stage > Border Patrol S10 EXD + Takatsuku 300B > Coincident Total Victory V
    Power Distribution: Shunyata Triton V2

Or 6moons got the technical détails wrong.

Having used a demo unit with separate chipless engine , you would need to switch between them with the front button, so it would be apparent.

I am pretty sure it was the stock Atlantic with the R2R DSD256.
    NORMAN

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlight View Post
    Based on the picture posted by Fred (Gopher) the Atlantic that is going to put in an appearance @ the GTG in Princeton NJ next Saturday seems to be the smaller chassis with remote and tube recti.
    You could be right, but for sure no separate chipless DSD engine on top of all that.
    NORMAN

Or 6moons got the technical détails wrong.

Having used a demo unit with separate chipless engine , you would need to switch between them with the front button, so it would be apparent.

I am pretty sure it was the stock Atlantic with the R2R DSD256.
    You are probably right, and in this case it is yet another evidence, that DSD trough the new R2R engine is really good.
    I read on another forum, that with R2R, a DAC converts DSD signal to PCM anyway before moving it to the output stage. Do you guys know if this is true for the Lampi R2R?
    System: Antipodes DX > Lampizator L4 > Coincident Statement Line Stage > Border Patrol S10 EXD + Takatsuku 300B > Coincident Total Victory V

Quote Originally Posted by abeidrov View Post
    You are probably right, and in this case it is yet another evidence, that DSD trough the new R2R engine is really good.
    I read on another forum, that with R2R, a DAC converts DSD signal to PCM anyway before moving it to the output stage. Do you guys know if this is true for the Lampi R2R?
    No idea.

What I can say is that last weekend, chipless was the clear winner! One fellow stated that it was a MUST, and he would not even listed to the R2R DSD if he had a choice. Not that it was bad, but that chipless was so enchanting.
    NORMAN

A quote from the 6moons review:"the LampizatOr uses two separate paths for PCM and DSD. For the latter, the FPGA is programmed as a simple analog low pass filter whose output goes straight into the tube stage. There is no DSD to PCM conversion so the DSD signal bypasses the R-2R ladder altogether. "
    If I read this correctly, the DAC, that 6moons reviewed, is not a stock Atlantic, as it had a separate engine for DSD. The stock Atlantic supports DSD through the R2R engine and switches between PCM and DSD automatically. So, all the conclusions that 6moons made about DSD sound have been made based on the sound of the old Lampizator analog filter based DSD engine..
    According to other reviews and to the Atlantic manual, that quote is correct. The USB input routes PCM to the R2R board, and routes DSD directly to the output filter. There's not a "DAC" for DSD, just a filter.

http://lampizator.eu/Manuals/Atlantic/Atlantic.pdf see page 34
    GIK Room Treatments>CAPS4 Pipeline (Roon + HQP)>microRendu> (LPS-1 power supply)>Mytek 192 DSD DAC>Odyssey Kismet (Khartago case) stereo amp>Devore Gibbon Nines.
    Isol-8 MiniSub Axis Power Filtering and protection. Also Dual 506 refurbished TT (not in use); 2 SBTouch; SB Boom.

BTW, just to be sure, wrote Lampizator and asked about DSD on the Atlantic. Got an answer direct from Lukasz:

the R2R ladder is bypassed and only filtering is applied at the very end of it.It sounds YUMMY
    so DSD is not R2R, only PCM is

BTW, just to be sure, wrote Lampizator and asked about DSD on the Atlantic. Got an answer direct from Lukasz:

Correct FD,

I got the same answer too.
    NORMAN

So, this is exactly as the old DSD, only no need to push the button? Can you ask Lukasz?
    Thanks!

So, this is exactly as the old DSD, only no need to push the button? Can you ask Lukasz?
    Thanks!
    He is at the Warsaw show, so only very brief answers. It seems this is an FPGA approach and the old chipless is a separate (and - I assume- more unconstrained, greenfield "macro " discrete filter box). My impression is that chipless is more "old school" and I like that better. Lukasz tends to like the R2R solution better, but admits that transport synergy is the determining factor.

My vote is for chipless from what I have heard to date, but admit that the R2R version is quite good!
    NORMAN

Audioshark

My vote is for new R2R. Having to switch over between DSD and PCM is a PITA. Chipless is maybe a tiny tiny bit better on DSD. But overall, when combining PCM and DSD and the convenience of not having to switch, it's a no brainer. If you go chipless, the first time you get a BLAST through your speakers when you accidentally play PCM through DSD, you'll remember what I said.

Mike, I think you misunderstand me!

I NEEED BOTH DSDs. The R2R for nrmal mixed playlist listening and Chipless for critical DSD listening.

Chipless is just for DSD only playback or upsampling occasions. Normally, i would use the R2R just for the ease of it.

I have done the blast too, though with a remote, you have less fear.

Here is the kicker though Mike....With the R2R and chipless Atalntic demo, when you switch to Chipless and play PCM accidentally, you hear....NOTHING!

Yah...I LOVE this setup. Now I dont even need the Vol control, as remote switching is no longer and everyday thing.

Look, I took your R2R autoswitching argument and raised it to foolproof chipless switching. Hehehe
    NORMAN

Norman, I'm a little confused about something you said: "With the R2R and chipless Atalntic demo, when you switch to Chipless and play PCM accidentally, you hear....NOTHING!"

I thought with the new Atlantic you don't have to switch anything as the dac will automatically play DSD and PCM files without me switching the channels on a remote like I do now with the L4 with volume control. Am I wrong?

Jason, I responded earlier but my post is gone...or maybe it didn't take?

Basic atlantic is with RSR module and has ppm and DSD. The Swiss demo unit has an option in addition, i.e. Chipless DSD512 module, so that when you press the front button, you go from R2R to chipless. If you select chiles DSD and accidentally play ppm, you get no sound. So the risk that used to exist is gone. If you select R2R, you get music no matter the format.
    NORMAN

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Atlantic DAC - Incoming