Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Lumin NOW works with ROON

For anyone who has already got Roon running with Lumin, it may be a worthwhile experiment to try out the Roon PCM->DSD upsampling - DSD128 for S1, DSD64 for A1 / T1 / D1. See if it sounds better or different or not. Please be aware that Roon by default applies -6dB for this conversion (-3dB in DSD Gain Adjustment and -3dB in Headroom Adjustment), which can be adjusted (note: watch the headroom management indicator if you do that).

For those who want to compare Roon upsampling with Lumin built-in upsampling, please note that after you adjust the Lumin app resampling settings, please play a music using Lumin app, before switching back to Roon, otherwise the changed resampling setting may not take effect.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    The S1 might be a viable option and if MQA hardware decoding is added a winner.
    Thanks for the consideration. Yes, we're working on MQA.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi Peter.
    For three days I have a trial version of Roon with the Core installed on a PC (without audio optimization), which connects to the same switch as the NAS. After a generic cable Cat 7 of about 8 meters arrives until the room where is the Switch Aqvox and of this, a cable of 1,5 meters until the Lumin. I am playing the same audio files, hosted on the NAS! Sometimes from Lumin application therefore using Minimserver / UPnP and others using Roon / RAAT. My question is this; When a file comes from Roon / RAAT and reaches the Lumin, it goes through the same digital circuits before reaching the DAC Wolfson, that when it arrives until the Lumin by Minimserver / UPnP?. I am very intested in the answer, because what I am hearing is very rare.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Audio data flow on the network:
    - NAS MinimServer -> network switches -> Lumin
    - NAS file system -> network switch - > Roon Core -> network switches -> Lumin

Within Lumin, the digital paths are not completely the same, but both are lossless bitperfect (unless user selects a resampling):
    - With UPnP music it uses an HTTP download mechanism, goes through file type detection and file (e.g. FLAC) decoding, user-selected resampling (only if necessary), then on to PCM or DSD playback.
    - With Roon it receives PCM or DSD via the RAAT SDK, goes through user-selected resampling (only if necessary), then on to PCM or DSD playback.

Do you find any SQ difference?

Beware that if you have Tidal in Roon, you may have duplicate albums from both Tidal and your own NAS - you need to be sure that you're streaming your own version to do a proper comparison.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

question..I am playing my system using Roon now and it is superb. I am not sure, however, that i have it set up correctly. rrwmd ...in his post a few days ago showed a picture of his screen showing the Lumin name at the bottom of the screen shot with an icon of the player above it. in that same screen i have the lumin name noted but above mine is a small 'speaker'...is this correct..? also..when i push the blue dot, to the right of some of the tracks i am playing the algorithm ends at the bottom with 'apple airplay' ...is that correct..?..sorry if this is a beginners screw up..
    Listening Room: 25' L x 18' W x 23' H..system on the long wall
    Speakers: Tidal 'Contriva Diacera-SE
    Amps: Chalice Audio 'Grail' SET mono blocks with Psvane WE 845 / 300b tubes
    Source: Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    HighFidelity MC-1 Pro Helix conditioner
    Cables:
    Audience-Studio One RCA interconnect
    SilverSmith 'Fidelium' speaker cables
    Silent Source 'Music Reference' Power Cords x 3
    Innuos 'PhoenixNet' Switch
    CAD-CG-1

Audioquest 'fog lifters' under the Fidelium cables
    Arya Audio-RevOpods under my Tidal Speakers
    REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2
    Nordost V2 ethernet cable

EVP Isolation footers- subs-speakers- Lumin

Tweaks:
    Stillpoints Ultra SS under amps
    EVP HDR isolators 2" x 8...under my Lumin A1 and PSU
    EVP HDR isolators 4" x 16..under my Tidal speakers and my REL 212 SE subs

Please go to Roon Audio Setup, find Lumin under "Networked roon ready" devices, enable it and assign it a zone name. Then find Lumin under "Airplay" and disable it.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

If Lumin is playing as a Roon Ready device, it'll support Hi-res and DSD playback.

AirPlay (regardless of brand / model) will cause Roon to downsample playback of any music to 16/44.1.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter..thanks..i did what you suggested and pushed the 'disable' option and after that the 'airplay' section now says 'enabled'.....is this correct.?
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

Quote Originally Posted by calloway View Post
    Peter..thanks..i did what you suggested and pushed the 'disable' option and after that the 'airplay' section now says 'enabled'.....is this correct.?
    That doesn't sound right, you want to disable AirPlay so that your Lumin is playing as a Roon Ready device supporting high-res files without downsampling for AirPlay.

that is why it is confusing..when i hit the gears and then touch the 'disable' indicator the Airplay/Lumin section then says 'Enabled'....not disabled'''??
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

In the Roon ready/Lumin A1 section is there supposed to be a red 'Uncertified' label.?
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

that is why it is confusing..when i hit the gears and then touch the 'disable' indicator the Airplay/Lumin section then says 'Enabled'....not disabled'''??
    On the iPad I use, it says Enable not Enabled. Enable means "to enable this currently-disabled device". Yes it is confusing.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

In the Roon ready/Lumin A1 section is there supposed to be a red 'Uncertified' label.?
    We shipped a D1 for the certification process. It doesn't make sense for us to ship all models to certify, because many models run the same firmware binary. We're working with Roon Labs to clear up the certification display, but these things take time. Please do not worry about the red label.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

WOW..that is confusing..thanks..it does say 'Enable'..not 'enabled'..great..thanks Peter..dave
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

I've talked to Roon Labs and they'll improve the setup flow for newly discovered Roon Ready devices in the future.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    Hi Peter.
    For three days I have a trial version of Roon with the Core installed on a PC (without audio optimization), which connects to the same switch as the NAS. After a generic cable Cat 7 of about 8 meters arrives until the room where is the Switch Aqvox and of this, a cable of 1,5 meters until the Lumin. I am playing the same audio files, hosted on the NAS! Sometimes from Lumin application therefore using Minimserver / UPnP and others using Roon / RAAT. My question is this; When a file comes from Roon / RAAT and reaches the Lumin, it goes through the same digital circuits before reaching the DAC Wolfson, that when it arrives until the Lumin by Minimserver / UPnP?. I am very intested in the answer, because what I am hearing is very rare.
    So whats the verdict on Roon for you? As Peter asked is there a sound difference you are hearing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi.
    Since I sent that post, I have received my new Melco and a mini PC to have Roon core connected to the Aqvox switch. I am traveling for a few days, when I return and do a quiet listening, I will publish my impressions.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Elem79 View Post
    Let me start by saying thank you for the continued support by Lumďn. However after listening for the better part of a month to Roon against the proprietary software on my Lumďn S1, I've come to the conclusion, in my opinion, the Lumďn software sounds best.

Roon just doesn't sound as engaging to me or as quiet as Lumďn. Roon sounds a little bloated and not as precise to me.

For reference I've run Roon on Windows 10 pro, windows sever R2, and finally Linux which sounded best by far, but still lags behind Lumin's on software. Again just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hello,

For the past few days I have tried Roon on a dedicated Windows PC running Server R2. I have to say that I agree with Elem79, regarding comparisons between Roon and Lumin software. Although Roon recommend a dedicated QNAP NAS server, I would want some reassurance that this would sound better than my Lumin L1 with Kenneth Lau PSU.

I presume Lumin have done comparisons between a Roon NAS server and their own L1; it would be interesting to know their thoughts.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Peter, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by petercalv View Post
    Although Roon recommend a dedicated QNAP NAS server, I would want some reassurance that this would sound better than my Lumin L1 with Kenneth Lau PSU.
    I presume Lumin have done comparisons between a Roon NAS server and their own L1; it would be interesting to know their thoughts.
    If I'm not mistaken, I think Roon Labs is encouraging people to use Intel NUC running ROCK instead of NAS:
    http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Discussions about what hardware sounds best for running Roon:
    https://community.roonlabs.com/t/sou...grams/22674/75

This may come as a surprise, but SQ evaluation is not really part of my job. For Roon Ready certification, it is a requirement that devices playing from Roon give a sound quality equivalent to their native means of playback. Even if I were to hear anything different (I didn't), I would not be able to say it.

From a firmware point of view, it's the same lossless audio bits that go into the playback hardware. From a CPU and network processing point perspective, there is indeed higher CPU utilization and more network traffic when using Roon.

When comparing a high CPU power Roon server against L1 + LPS, the former is likely disadvantaged due to typically noisy PC power supply, considering that the NUC is probably not much more expensive than your LPS.

Roon Labs CTO says it'd be fine as long as you are "isolating it properly" - "Isolating audio gear from RFI/EMI is important regardless of anything else. This is why high quality power supplies and tools for filtering/isolating ethernet, USB, and line power make a difference."

I'm always interested in hearing users' thoughts regarding SQ.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, I think Roon Labs is encouraging people to use Intel NUC running ROCK instead of NAS:
    http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Discussions about what hardware sounds best for running Roon:
    https://community.roonlabs.com/t/sou...grams/22674/75

This may come as a surprise, but SQ evaluation is not really part of my job. For Roon Ready certification, it is a requirement that devices playing from Roon give a sound quality equivalent to their native means of playback. Even if I were to hear anything different (I didn't), I would not be able to say it.

From a firmware point of view, it's the same lossless audio bits that go into the playback hardware. From a CPU and network processing point perspective, there is indeed higher CPU utilization and more network traffic when using Roon.

When comparing a high CPU power Roon server against L1 + LPS, the former is likely disadvantaged due to typically noisy PC power supply, considering that the NUC is probably not much more expensive than your LPS.

Roon Labs CTO says it'd be fine as long as you are "isolating it properly" - "Isolating audio gear from RFI/EMI is important regardless of anything else. This is why high quality power supplies and tools for filtering/isolating ethernet, USB, and line power make a difference."

I'm always interested in hearing users' thoughts regarding SQ.
    Thank you for this Peter. To elaborate more on the PC I used, it is part of a two PC system I used with JPlay as my playback software. It has separate HDPlex linear power supplies. JPlay was my reference playback software for quite some time until I heard a Lumin A1. I was so impressed I bought the S1.

With the latest Roon update, this is fixed.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi Peter.
    Do you know why Roon does not upsampling to 384 and 352.8 and only does it to 192 and 176.4, when Lumin can handle the higher frequencies?
    Francisco

That's a limitation with the current Lumin models (except U1).

(Just got back from vacation)
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi Peter.
    1. If I understood Lumin well (except U1) they can accept PCM files 352.8 and 384 for UPnP but not for RAAT. I would be curious to know the reason, if you can explain it.

2. It has an approximate date, in which Lumin decodes the MQA files
    Regards
    Francisco

I'm sorry but that's a hardware limitation, and I cannot provide a date for public firmware release - this is something out of our control and more work needs to be done by both MQA Ltd. and us. On a slightly positive note, Lumin is demoing S1 playing MQA at Munich, after receiving blessing from MQA Ltd. for S1 audio quality for MQA playback.

Lumin U1 also supports 352.8kHz and 384kHz, as long as the DAC is connected via USB and the DAC itself supports these sampling rates.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter

I assume you are aware the Auralic, one of the original MQA partners, has now released their own version of "MQA" decoding.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Yes, I'm aware of that. It's likely to be its own upsampling tuned for MQA music, since they claim that "This process is not an MQA-created or MQA-licensed process" in their firmware release notes. They were indeed the original partner, but then this happened:
    https://www.computeraudiophile.com/f...comment=555554
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

For those who are using Roon, please upgrade Roon Core to Build 234, and Lumin to Firmware 8.04. The new Lumin firmware contains optimizations for Roon Build 234, and may possibly improve SQ.

Feedback on SQ for this upgrade is much appreciated. Thanks.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

If we are not Roon users, would we hear a SQ difference?
    AMP/Preamp/Speakers: Kef LS50 Wireless, Lumin D1, Cayin scd50T sacd, Technics 1200 Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP Laptop, LH Labs VI Infinity, Cables: Wireworld Eclipse & Silver IC, Platinum USB. W4S recovery.

peter..where do you upgrade to 8.04..i only see the 8.02..
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

Quote Originally Posted by erniejade View Post
    If we are not Roon users, would we hear a SQ difference?
    No. For Roon playback only.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

peter..where do you upgrade to 8.04..i only see the 8.02..
    Please kill the Lumin app and run it again.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter...'kill the Lumin app and run it again'....not sure I understand?
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

If Lumin app does not prompt you to firmware upgrade, double click the iPad Home button, swipe away the Lumin app to kill it. Then launch Lumin app.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter..it still says 8.02 in the firmware section
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

Peter..it still says 8.02 in the firmware section
    Make sure "Check for firmware updates" set to YES

lumin app
    gear icon ->options

Peter..it is set to 'yes' on check for firmware. Still says 8.02...
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

Have you killed the app and restarted the app as post #85?
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter. Yes. I double clicked the home button and flipped the page away and restarted the app.. i.e. I then restarted the app by tapping it open. The firmware indicator still says 8.02... dave

Please:
    1. Power cycle the Lumin A1
    2. Reboot the iPad
    3. Use iPad and browse www.luminmusic.com to make sure it is accessible to your setup
    4. Launch Lumin app
    5. Normally the app should prompt you to upgrade
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter...that worked. Thanks a lot..dave
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

Music,to me,sounds better through the Lumin app than through the Roon app. Roon seems to somehow slightly soften the presentation.
    Cables:
    CAD-CG-1

REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2

Tweaks:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin NOW works with ROON