Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Balanced headphone suggestions

I have KEF M500 headphones which are very comfortable and neutral sounding. Very nice to use portable with my Pono.

I am just starting to think about a step up headphone. I have used the McIntosh, but found them a little uncomfortable and I was not particularly fond of the total closed back design. I also had a pair of Audeze EL-8, but again felt they were not real comfortable for long time listening, a couple hours or more.

I am thinking about a balanced design (if I do get something fairly sure I want to use a balanced cable), with comfort as a very important criteria. Obviously sound quality is important. Thinking about Christmas suggestions for my wife . Therefore I would say max budget would in the $2k range, hopefully a little less.

Any suggestions on some good cans to consider?
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Re: Balanced headphone suggwstions

Randy - The MrSpeakers Ether line is right in your price range and have been getting universally great reviews. Might be worth your consideration if you can hear them.

Audioshark

Focal has some wonderful new headphone. The Elear is in your budget.

http://www.focal.com/headphones/#elear
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks for both suggestions! Have either of you had the chance to listen to either the MrSpeakers or Focal line?

Does the Focal offer a Balanced cable. I don't see anything mentioned on their web-sight.

The Ether line also looks interesting.... looks like the Balanced cable is an option.

Wondering how either of these compare against the Sennheiser HD800S?
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I've heard the MrSpeakers Ether and Ether-C and found them stunningly good, they made a lasting impression on me but I'm not really a headphone listener. I didn't have a chance to compare them to the HD800S but I recall reading a review that found the Ethers a definite step ahead. Good luck with your search!

Thank you Bill.... It is the very initial stages (unlike most other things I have bought )... I know I want an upgrade and three major criteria for are; balanced cabling, comfort, and sound quality.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I should have also mentioned that I found the MrSpeakers headphones to be some of the most comfortable I've ever tried, but of course YMMV definitely applies.

Audioshark

Re: Balanced headphone suggestions

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Nice, but those are a tad out of my range Mike . Maybe I missed it, but I did not see anything about balanced connection???

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I have KEF M500 headphones which are very comfortable and neutral sounding. Very nice to use portable with my Pono.

I am just starting to think about a step up headphone. I have used the McIntosh, but found them a little uncomfortable and I was not particularly fond of the total closed back design. I also had a pair of Audeze EL-8, but again felt they were not real comfortable for long time listening, a couple hours or more.

I am thinking about a balanced design (if I do get something fairly sure I want to use a balanced cable), with comfort as a very important criteria. Obviously sound quality is important. Thinking about Christmas suggestions for my wife . Therefore I would say max budget would in the $2k range, hopefully a little less.

Any suggestions on some good cans to consider?
    The best I've heard recently were the Hifiman HE-1000, but they are rather pricey. There is now however also a slightly more affordable version, which I however have not heard.

For lesser money the open PM-1 and closed PM-3 are worth their money. I have the latter ones for travelling and telcos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

How about Sennheiser? Much research keeps coming back to these. Any opinions? How about HD800S versus HD700? Looking at over $1600 compared to about $770 with balanced cable... reviews seem to love the HD800S, but most talk very highly about the HD700.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Have the HD800, which probably are the highest resolution cans out there. W/o a little TLC they tend to be a little too bright, but with an appropriate HP amp incl. power treatment, good DAC and a replacement cable (Cardas is very good) they really deliver resolution and detail aplenty and a very well defined bass (latter requires the aforementioned treatments to shine). They are a little like Magico speakers: Drive them appropriately and they are superb; plug them into you integrated amp's HP outlet and you will not have fun. But in terms of details and a spatial sound they are unbeatable.

Have not heard the HD800S, but I understand they make the bass a bit easier to handle. Between the HD700 and the HD800 there still is a class difference.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

The big ticket item is going is be the balanced headphone amp that does justice to either the HD800 , I just couldn't swing the extra for a Woo WA22 so I went with the WA6se instead,. It drives the HD800 with ease vast soundstage, clear. . But we always seem to go back to me old HD600 and the HD650 as headphones that just seem to work with all types of music. My dealer has the Mr Speaker Ether c and that will most like be my next pair as they are very comfortable for those long sessions.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

How are the cable connections on the HD650? The pictures look like they are using those slot type connector. Do they hold well? I had a pair of Audeze EL-8 and they were not the most comfortable to me, but the slot type cable really was kind of a pain.

I ask this because no matter which I choose the plan is to add a balanced cable.

I have the KEF M500 which are very nice sound and very comfortable headphones. They work great for mobile use (with the Ayres Pono) but I want something a little better for my in home music listening.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

How are the cable connections on the HD650?
    Hi Randy, I'm not sure $600,- cans would warrant a $300-400,- balanced cable...

Sure they do .... the HD650 can be had at about $380-$390 and the balanced cable is $240 from what I am seeing at this point.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

How are the cable connections on the HD650? The pictures look like they are using those slot type connector. Do they hold well? I had a pair of Audeze EL-8 and they were not the most comfortable to me, but the slot type cable really was kind of a pain.

I ask this because no matter which I choose the plan is to add a balanced cable.

I have the KEF M500 which are very nice sound and very comfortable headphones. They work great for mobile use (with the Ayres Pono) but I want something a little better for my in home music listening.
    The connection have been holding for years. Its a little 2 pin per side for the 600 and the 650's. If you are going to a balanced connection what headphone amp are you going to use that supports a balanced headphone connection?
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

I am playing around with the NuPrime DAC-10H. Seems like a pretty darn nice unit and a very highly rated headphone amplifier. The KEF's sound excellent with it!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I am playing around with the NuPrime DAC-10H. Seems like a pretty darn nice unit and a very highly rated headphone amplifier. The KEF's sound excellent with it!
    cool

Sure they do .... the HD650 can be had at about $380-$390 and the balanced cable is $240 from what I am seeing at this point.
    Ok, fair enough. We're talking a different price point then. My headphone set up is between $5000-6000,-.

.... yea, I can't justify spending more on headphones then my speakers.....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I am seriously thinking the Sennheiser HD800S. I have yet to read anything bad about them, other than price. And from what I understand they are including their Balanced cable that sells for $380 in the box with them... I want comfort, accuracy, sound stage, and balanced cabling....

So, please tell me why these are not the perfect choice...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I am seriously thinking the Sennheiser HD800S. I have yet to read anything bad about them, other than price. And from what I understand they are including their Balanced cable that sells for $380 in the box with them... I want comfort, accuracy, sound stage, and balanced cabling....

So, please tell me why these are not the perfect choice...
    Awesome, if you can give the Mr Speaker Ether C or the open a listen before you buy just to be sure. Like anything headphone a lot depends on the external headphone amp, my Sennheisers seem to enjoy tubes or maybe its my ears LOL.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Balanced headphone suggestions