Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Bel Canto DAC3.7, VBL (Virtual Battery Linear) Power Supply & REFStream Review

George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers

Powered By 2X BPT 3.5 Signature Plus Ultra Isolators | Shunyata Research Hydra Triton + Typhon | Shunyata Hydra 2 Power Conditioner

Re: Bel Canto DAC3.7, VBL (Virtual Battery Linear) Power Supply & REFStream Review

Interesting, especially that Bel Canto is still using the old TI/Burr Brown PCM1792 DAC, vs. the latest and greatest from ESS. Sounds like John Stronczer realized the ethernet streaming design of the old Squeezebox (vs USB) is the way to go. I guess the proof is in the listening!

Thanks for reminding me to upgrade my DAC 3.5 mkII. I might even get the new linear battery supply!
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo 205 > Conrad Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > Martin Logan Expression 13A's and two ML BF210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's & speaker cable. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

Re: Bel Canto DAC3.7, VBL (Virtual Battery Linear) Power Supply & REFStream Review

Every time I hear a DAC with the ESS DAC chips I prefer the sound qualities of the Burr Brown's! More natural, organic without sacrificing the details.
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers

Powered By 2X BPT 3.5 Signature Plus Ultra Isolators | Shunyata Research Hydra Triton + Typhon | Shunyata Hydra 2 Power Conditioner

Nice review....the 3.7 is really a fantastic dac!
    Goldprint Audio -- Dealer For: PS Audio -- Leben -- KEF -- Line Magnetic -- DeVore Fidelity -- Joseph Audio -- Sugden -- Rogue Audio -- Manley Labs -- VPI Industries -- Bel Canto -- Alta Audio -- Tannoy -- Rega -- Kimber Kable -- Ortofon -- Chord -- Sonos -- Quadraspire -- Salamander -- SVS Sound -- Torus Power -- Audio Desk -- Gingko -- Auditorium 23 -- Box Furniture -- Krell -- Cary Audio -- Soundsmith -- EMT

www.goldprintaudio.com

i have the bel canto vbs1 and its been great . in the 10 years since i have had bc stuff i never had a problem but after 6 years the vbs1 died . been quite a game getting it fixed . been back to repairer twice but hopefully will be ok . slightly annoyed it did not last longer than 6 years but i guess its on 24/7
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Unfortunately, looks like Bel Canto stopped production of the DAC 1.7 and 3.7, as well as the VBS and LNS outboard power supplies. I was actually planning on upgrading my DAC 3.5 to the 3.7. I wonder if they stopped production because the power supplies were failing? My VBS is about 6 years old. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed!
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo 205 > Conrad Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > Martin Logan Expression 13A's and two ML BF210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's & speaker cable. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

ah i did not know that . well hopefully the electronics engineer has now sorted the vbs1 . i quite enjoyed watching him problem solve it . i would not worry if it breaks down as realtively easy for an engineer to fix.
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Unfortunately, looks like Bel Canto stopped production of the DAC 1.7 and 3.7, as well as the VBS and LNS outboard power supplies. I was actually planning on upgrading my DAC 3.5 to the 3.7. I wonder if they stopped production because the power supplies were failing? My VBS is about 6 years old. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed!
    Is your VBS still working ? I've had mine for about 6 years with no trouble. Maybe hifinut has frequent surges in the electrical supply? If there was a design problem, I would think a more rugged part that fails would be a solution.

no i didnt have any surges , it just failed . however in the UK we have some superb guys and the insides were taken out and a custom cables dc 3 fitted

DC3 builds now come with the Mundorf capacitor upgrade fitted as standard. This can also be retrofitted to your existing DC3 if you own one of the older DC3 units.

This is our brand new reference level DC power supply, called the DC3. Instead of being based on the older DC1 and DC2 regulator designs, it uses our latest regulator layout - Version 2.0 of our fabled CHC-REG module. The front end of the PSU is a much-improved design as well, using the same large audio-grade transformer and banks of Nichicon KG audio capacitors as our much more expensive Naim upgrade PSUs.

This is a truly no-compromise PSU, with a performance well beyond that of the DC2 or DC1, and it is still very reasonably priced compared to our competitors.

Custom HiFi Cables Ltd. - DC3 Power Supply

superb upgrade for the pre 3 vbs , more weight to sound . so the vbs1 relives

running 2 of these bel canto pre 3 pre amps now, they just are so reliable and so good for the money

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Bel Canto DAC3.7, VBL (Virtual Battery Linear) Power Supply & REFStream Review