Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Audioquest Niagra 7000

I plan to audition the 7000 in a couple of weeks in my home and will report back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Once I plugged in tube amps, tube preamp, tube DAC, tube phonostage, tube tape preamp, it developed a buzz/hum. The Dielectric-Biased AC Isolation Transformers in the 7000 negatively interacts with a full tube system. In a solid state system, the Dielectric-Biased AC Isolation Transformers shines. It performs flawlessly and is a champ.
    We found in our travels that even with solid state the Niagara 7000 can emit a buzz/hum. In some configurations, the hum was loud enough to be annoying from our listening position during quiet musical passages. What we found in our case is that if you play around with the configuration of "what you plug where" (keeping the high current devices on the high output outlets though), you can significantly reduce the buzz/hum. In our system's case we were not able to totally eliminate the buzz/hum, but reduce it to the point of not interfering with our enjoyment of music at all volumes. While it would be more ideal to have no buzz/hum, we feel the benefits (and there are a big amount of them) of having the 7000 in our system far outweighs the slight hum/buzz that is now at a point of not even being recognizable.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

With all due respect for what is otherwise reported to be a ground breaking product, I personally wouldn't find it acceptable for a power device of any type to introduce additional noise into the system even if it is at a relatively low level. Maybe that's just me though?

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    With all due respect for what is otherwise reported to be a ground breaking product, I personally wouldn't find it acceptable for a power device of any type to introduce additional noise into the system even if it is at a relatively low level. Maybe that's just me though?
    Hi Bill, no offense taken. I actually get what you are saying and almost didn't purchase the unit, but with the current configuration unless you are right near the unit with dead silence in the room; you don't hear any buzz/hum. I don't think of it as adding noise into the system, but more of a very slight ambient buzz/hum only when you are right at the unit with nothing playing. Obviously to our ears, the unit did wonders on the plus side, so we kept on with our purchase. However, I do get your point and would recommend others who are interested in the unit to use it with their own components and see if they get any hum/buzz. As I mentioned in the earlier post, reconfiguration of ""what you plug where" made a marked difference in our travels.
    Front End: MSB Select II DAC, MSB Reference Transport, Magnum Dynalab MD107T, Aiwa AD-F990
    Amplification: Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamplifier & Momentum M400 MxV Monoblocks, Crown XLS 2502 (x3) (subwoofers)
    Speakers: Scaena La Maitresse Ultime Loudspeaker System
    Cables: Shunyata Aeros Aurora-SP, Shunyata Aeros Aurora-IC, Jungson Golden Dragon
    Power: GigaWatt PC-4 EVO+, GigaWatt LS-2HCEVO, Jungson Pure Power, JPS Labs AC+, Transparent HPPC
    Miscellaneous: ​Bohmer/Legacy Audio Wavelet DSP/Room Correction

A new rave review from Part Time Audiophile.

I have a quick question. I have a 7000 and am waiting for my Pass Labs X350.8 to arrive. I was told that Pass Labs amplifiers sound better when plugged into the wall (with the stock cord) rather than through a power conditioner. The stereophile article mentioned that unless all components are plugged into the 7000 it can potentially degrade the sound of the system. Amy thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy G View Post
    I have a quick question. I have a 7000 and am waiting for my Pass Labs X350.8 to arrive. I was told that Pass Labs amplifiers sound better when plugged into the wall (with the stock cord) rather than through a power conditioner. The stereophile article mentioned that unless all components are plugged into the 7000 it can potentially degrade the sound of the system. Amy thoughts on this?
    The Niagara 7000 is designed to take high powered amplifiers plugged into its high current outlets. First try plugging the X-350.8 into the 7000’s high current outlet. Then try plugging directly into the wall outlet. Whichever sounds better to your ears should be the best option.

I did this test with my Vandersteen M7-HPA mono amps on my Audience AR6-TSSOX power conditioner. Consequently, the amps get plugged directly to the wall outlet.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

I'm Amp directly to the wall type myself .....

What about the report of sound degradation if everything in the system isn't plugged into the 7000? If I end up going into the wall with the amp, would I be better off using power cords that have built in filtration for my source and pre?

Super Moderator

I'm not sure it's sound degradation as much as it may be not as big of an improvement if everything is not plugged into the same conditioner.

What about the report of sound degradation if everything in the system isn't plugged into the 7000? If I end up going into the wall with the amp, would I be better off using power cords that have built in filtration for my source and pre?
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    I'm not sure it's sound degradation as much as it may be not as big of an improvement if everything is not plugged into the same conditioner.
    I'm not sure, either. The Stereophile article made it seem like it made everything sound worse when all the components weren't plugged in together. I'm thinking of maybe selling it and changing my power cords for the source and preamp to Cardas Clear Beyond, which has filtration built in.

Super Moderator

I'm sure the Cardas cables are superb. You could wait and try everything. See what you like better.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I would expect your system to sound best with all components plugged into the Niagara 7000, including the amps, as the 7000 is not current limiting. However, some amps just sound best plugged directly into the wall outlet. If this is the case, it doesn’t mean you need to scrap the idea of getting the 7000. It will provide significant noise reduction to the rest of your components. You could try the Furutech Flux-50 filters with your amps, as I’ve been told they sound terrific and are not current limiting.

Best of luck,
    Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Well, I decided to put my Niagara 7000 up for sale on audiogon and try the Cardas Clear Beyond cords on my preamp and source. Hopefully the results will be positive.

Has anyone compared the 5000 with the 7000?
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Audiophilehi View Post
    Has anyone compared the 5000 with the 7000?
    Yes. The 5000 is IDEAL if you have any (even one) tube component. If you're all SS, go with the 7000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Thanks Mike! I do have a tube preamp. (McIntosh c2500)
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

FYI: The high current outlets’ circuitry is exactly the same on the Niagara 5000 and 7000. Only the lower current outlets’ circuitry is different with the 7000’s large isolation transformer providing superior noise suppression.

Ken

Well, I decided to put my Niagara 7000 up for sale on audiogon and try the Cardas Clear Beyond cords on my preamp and source. Hopefully the results will be positive.
    Are you saying that the amps sound worse when plugged in the Niagara 7000? Cause I just can't follow your reasoning...
    Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon HC < AQ WEL Signature XLR < Chord Qutest w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < SOtM tX-USBultra w 75Ohm Master Clock Input, Paul Hynes SR5-12 Turbo XL & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Aurender N-100H w AQ Dragon Source < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Solid Tech Hybrid < Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Darkz D2, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < Furutech FT-SWS < Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Audioquest Niagra 7000