Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Ss-103

Ss-103

This unit has been out for a while now.
    I like the new features that is in the new model classic/Rock modes.
    Bring back tone controls I say Ss-103Ss-103

Would be interested in any experience from owners or those that have heard it.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Audioshark

Ss-103

I have the SS-103 on display with the Magico S5 mk2's. The classic mode in class A is the same great sound you hear from Vitus. The rock mode in Class A, to me, is something unique and adds even more tube like imaging qualities to the SS-103 - more 3D, more bloom.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Ss-103

Thanks for the feedback! Definately one to keep an eye out for.. That and the Soulution 511 look great options

Micro Hi .
    Since you have had Magico S5 and S5 MK II , I would be grateful if explain the differences in sound between the two .
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Audioshark

I have 5 audiophile friends over on Friday afternoon and we did an amp shootout. We compared the Triode 300b and Triode 845 amps against the Vitus SS-103 on the Avantgarde Duo Mezzo XD's. It was unanimous: the SS-103 won. It's seriously an amazing amp. It didn't matter if we used the Triode Preamp or the Vitus SL-102 mk2 preamp, the SS-103 was miles better in dynamics, bass, speed, even midrange!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Can the ss-103 be used in mono confit?

Quote Originally Posted by bobwah View Post
    Can the ss-103 be used in mono confit?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I have 5 audiophile friends over on Friday afternoon and we did an amp shootout. We compared the Triode 300b and Triode 845 amps against the Vitus SS-103 on the Avantgarde Duo Mezzo XD's. It was unanimous: the SS-103 won. It's seriously an amazing amp. It didn't matter if we used the Triode Preamp or the Vitus SL-102 mk2 preamp, the SS-103 was miles better in dynamics, bass, speed, even midrange!

Haa Ha , little did they know how much you needed their Brawn ....

That Vitus is a beautiful piece ...

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Haa Ha , little did they know how much you needed their Brawn ....

That Vitus is a beautiful piece ...
    Thanks Wayne, and DEFINITELY needs to be plugged into the wall or AudioQuest 7000 (with it's 90amp reservoir).

As a "tubes rule" guy, let's just say, the Vitus leaves me conflicted.

Yep , just when you think you have it all figured out , that Audio curve Ball gets thrown ...

As a "tubes rule" guy, let's just say, the Vitus leaves me conflicted.
    Like I said, when I compared Vitus SM 102 and pre to Kondo M1000 mkII and Kondo Kagura at Rhapsody's on Magico M7, I left his place impressed by Vitus. And I am tube guy. Though when I compared AG amps to 9w Airtight 300b and Audionote 300b integrated on Trios with basshorns, the AG amps and Airtight both won over the AN. Just goes to show that for amps and speaker match not a good thing to have a predecided mindset on tubes, class AB, class A, etc.

Basically .. Yes ! Amp to load , a horse and course deal ....

I am considering this stereo amp. The power rating isn't high, 50w class A/150w classAB. Wondering if it is enough power.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Alectiong View Post
    I am considering this stereo amp. The power rating isn't high, 50w class A/150w classAB. Wondering if it is enough power.

For what speakers?

What speakers are you running Alectiong? Fyi, Vitus's power specs are very conservative & are measured in 'true RMS' which is a tougher, more accurate measurement. Also their UI-core trannies are very efficient with very low loss, and they're huge! For reference, I'm driving my Magico S5 Mk2's (88db, 4 ohms, 3 ohm floor) with an SIA-025 (25 watts kl.A, 100 watts kl.A/B). I run it in Kl.A mode for 2 channel music & only switch it to Kl.A/B mode for HT or background listening, and it hasn't run out of puff. Sure it is working hard, but it likes it and actually sounds better. The SS-103 has a lot more power and capacitance & should drive all but the most demanding speaker loads with ease. For example, if I owned a pair of Magico Q5's or had a large listening room & inefficient speakers, I would go for the SM-103 mono's debuting at Munich this month.

Hope that helps.

The speakers are Rockport Cygnus. 90dB, 4ohm per the specs.

The speakers are Rockport Cygnus. 90dB, 4ohm per the specs.
    Congrats on a fine pair of speakers! The Cygnus looks like a reasonably efficient speaker on base specs, and unless you've got a cavernous listening room like Magico, I would think the SS-103 would have plenty of power and control (paired with a Vitus pre for best synergy). Then again, if there is a nasty phase angle in the wrong place on the response curve, that can ask the amp for short bursts of high current. But that amp has big balls.

Thanks. Will try to do a home audition this week with the SS103.

That should be a good match. The Gryphon Antileon Evo and Mephisto would also be good options as Andy Payor voices Rockport speakers with Gryphon. Good luck with the auditions!

In the month of November of last year, in the pre-hearing of speakers to change my B & W, I could hear a configuration:

Vitus CD, Rober Koda Takumi K15 EX, Vitus SS 103, Magico S5 MKll.

Something should not be right in this set of extraordinary individual elements, because the whole did not like. Sound too sharp and sterile. Anyway I agree with Mike, I preferred the "Rock mode" for all music, including classical.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    In the month of November of last year, in the pre-hearing of speakers to change my B & W, I could hear a configuration:

Vitus CD, Rober Koda Takumi K15 EX, Vitus SS 103, Magico S5 MKll.

Something should not be right in this set of extraordinary individual elements, because the whole did not like. Sound too sharp and sterile. Anyway I agree with Mike, I preferred the "Rock mode" for all music, including classical.
    That's strange, because i've always found Vitus Signature series gear has excellent synergy with Magico. And the new SS-103 is better than the previous SS-102 which I really liked. So i'm thinking either there was an issue with one or more components not being fully run in, an issue with cable synergy, or the amplifier was not a good match for the room size. For example, Magico use very high current mono blocks in their cavernous listening room (Soulution) almost exclusively because most power amps would run out of puff trying to deliver enough current to pressurize that room. Generally mono blocks are a better choice to drive a moderately difficult load like the S5 Mk2's in a large listening room, with the possible exception of some massive stereo amps like the Vitus MP-S201, Boulder 2160/3060 etc.

Yes, it does not seem logical, I wondered if the cables would be used.
    Probably return to Sound Sevilla, to listen to the M3 with the same equipment, but changing the Vitus CD, for a DAC Wadax Atlantic (Pedro, the owner of Sound, says he never heard anything like that in digital).
    Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    Yes, it does not seem logical, I wondered if the cables would be used.
    Probably return to Sound Sevilla, to listen to the M3 with the same equipment, but changing the Vitus CD, for a DAC Wadax Atlantic (Pedro, the owner of Sound, says he never heard anything like that in digital).
    Synergy is important with the S5 Mk2's. Vitus gear should be placed on Stillpoints, and the best cables i've found for synergy are Jorma Prime/Statement, Siltech Royal Signature series & PAD copper cables.

Vitus amps should be left on for most of the day to really reach their best. On the SS-103, rock mode is generally preferred for the most musical sound.

Also Vitus's best dac is the MP-D201. The Signature series dac is the SCD-025Mk2 which is like 85% of the performance of the MP-D201. Advocates of tube dacs always claim they're better than ss dacs like Vitus. I wouldn't say better, just different. Is a matter of preference.

Finally, rule of thumb: Vitus sounds best with Vitus. Vitus power amps are best paired with VA preamps, otherwise the results can be disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbguy1 View Post
    Synergy is important with the S5 Mk2's. Vitus gear should be placed on Stillpoints, and the best cables i've found for synergy are Jorma Prime/Statement, Siltech Royal Signature series & PAD copper cables.

Vitus amps should be left on for most of the day to really reach their best. On the SS-103, rock mode is generally preferred for the most musical sound.

Also Vitus's best dac is the MP-D201. The Signature series dac is the SCD-025Mk2 which is like 85% of the performance of the MP-D201. Advocates of tube dacs always claim they're better than ss dacs like Vitus. I wouldn't say better, just different. Is a matter of preference.

Finally, rule of thumb: Vitus sounds best with Vitus. Vitus power amps are best paired with VA preamps, otherwise the results can be disappointing.
    I don't do this but my dealer said to only undertake serious listening after the SIA-025 has been powered up continuously for 72 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclopse View Post
    I don't do this but my dealer said to only undertake serious listening after the SIA-025 has been powered up continuously for 72 hours.
    Mayyybee after first taking the amp out of the box dead cold, but after that, warm up time from standby should be greatly reduced. For expediency, I copied/pasted a relevant passage from Chris Thomas's review of the SIA-025 below. I agree with his view that the amp should reach optimal thermal conditions after no more than 12 hours from standby. In my experience you can start doing critical listening after 2-3hrs from standby in Class A mode. Though there is always some variance due to environmental factors, hence YMMV.

From stand-by, straight into class A I would say that you are looking at a half hour before it really begins to sing and then it just seems to keep getting better. Even after a solid afternoon and evening's listening I would swear that the amplifier was growing more fluid, textural and resolute with better dynamic contrasts, tonal shading and the delicacy of its musical message just seems to become more profound.

If it is necessary to warm up the amps for a long time before listening, I wonder about the heat and power bill, especially with the bigger models like SS103, SM103..
    I used to have Pass labs XA series. They could heat up the room.

If it is necessary to warm up the amps for a long time before listening, I wonder about the heat and power bill, especially with the bigger models like SS103, SM103..

Coming from Nagra VPA monos the Vitus is a pleasure to use in summer. The heat from the VPA was unpleasant in summer. The Virus use a UI transformer that is very efficient. Same consumption as a lightbulb for the sia-025 been powered in A/B mode. Noticed the difference with the household electricity consumption as well.

Alectiong, my SIA-025 integrated only gets to very warm to maybe mildly hot after several hours operation in Class A mode. Certainly not a room heater like some of the old Pass and Krell Class A amps. The latest SM-011 mono's & SS-103 use what VA call 'Intelligent Class A bias' which uses a circuit which measures the temperature on the output devices – and adjust bias slightly – to maintain a temperature on the output devices within +/- 2 degrees. This way optimal thermal conditions are maintained at all loads (a key to their liquid sound).

I home auditioned the SS-103. It is warm but certainly unlike the heat of the Pass XA series, so my concern was allayed. I have been using the Vitus SS-025 (Class A15W/Class AB 300W). The SS-103 is a very significant step up to my ears. The improvement in focus, control, dimensionality, the weight and the bass really surprised me. The Rock and Classic modes give different perspectives. I will eventually figure out which mode I prefer. I was so impressed I bought the unit.

I home auditioned the SS-103. It is warm but certainly unlike the heat of the Pass XA series, so my concern was allayed. I have been using the Vitus SS-025 (Class A15W/Class AB 300W). The SS-103 is a very significant step up to my ears. The improvement in focus, control, dimensionality, the weight and the bass really surprised me. The Rock and Classic modes give different perspectives. I will eventually figure out which mode I prefer. I was so impressed I bought the unit.
    Congratulations on your new amp Alectiong & great choice with your Rockport Cygnus speakers! Thanks for your feedback. The SS-103 has a lot more Class A power obviously, and borrows technology from the MP-S201. What preamp are you using if you don't mind me asking? The ideal match for that amp would be the SL-103 .

Thanks Melbguy1. For preamp, I use the older SL102. Maybe one day I will send it in for upgrading to the current model.

Audioshark

Congrats Alectiong. She's a beauty. Let us know how it sounds.

Thanks Mike. I will post more impressions after burn-in .

Thanks Melbguy1. For preamp, I use the older SL102. Maybe one day I will send it in for upgrading to the current model.

A real beauty! Congratulations for your choice. I really love the Vitus sound. Did you have the possibility to compare the 103 to the 102? My local dealer was until last year the Italian importer for Vitus and he said that the 103 sound different from the 102.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
    Speaker: Gauder Akustik Berlina RC7 Diamond Black Edition DV
    Power-Amp: Grandinote Demone
    Pre-Amp: Grandinote Domino
    Digital: TAD D1000 MkII; Auralic Aries G1 with modified LPS; QNAP HS 251+ (via Wifi)
    Cables: Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse
    Power: Dedicated power line and dedicated grounding; Furutech wall socket; Furman IT Ref 16 IE; HMS Energia SL/OV
    Rack: Bassocontinuo Reference Line Accordeon

Thanks Audiophon. I didn't compare with 102. I heard it before at shows but my dealer no longer has any more units.

Thanks Audiophon. I didn't compare with 102. I heard it before at shows but my dealer no longer has any more units.

Thanks for your reply! My dealer had was still left with a pair of demo SM 102 but no 103 to compare with...

I was also considering getting his SM 102 for a very good price but then decided differently.

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
    Speaker: Gauder Akustik Berlina RC7 Diamond Black Edition DV
    Power-Amp: Grandinote Demone
    Pre-Amp: Grandinote Domino
    Digital: TAD D1000 MkII; Auralic Aries G1 with modified LPS; QNAP HS 251+ (via Wifi)
    Cables: Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse
    Power: Dedicated power line and dedicated grounding; Furutech wall socket; Furman IT Ref 16 IE; HMS Energia SL/OV
    Rack: Bassocontinuo Reference Line Accordeon

I think Vitus is launching the new SM 103's in Munich show. Let's wait for the reports.

I am quite excited to receive my SM103, apparently the first pair installed in my part of the world. Let them run in for a week and see.

Super Moderator

Congratulations! Beautiful amps.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Congrats!! Those are big beauties! Let us know how they sound.

Congrats!! Those are big beauties! Let us know how they sound.

Will report back after run in.

SS-103 incoming for home demo next week. Speakers will be YG Hailey, Vivid Giya G2, and Wilson Benesch Endeavour. Am trying to locate a pair of Magico S3's too.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    SS-103 incoming for home demo next week. Speakers will be YG Hailey, Vivid Giya G2, and Wilson Benesch Endeavour. Am trying to locate a pair of Magico S3's too.
    Wow! I can't wait to hear your feedback on this shootout of dreams.

Will also be using a pair of Berning Quadrature Z's as comparison amps too.

Most of the kit now gone, so time for some feedback. The Vitus was good, with all the attributes that you'd expect - plenty of power, liquid sound, accurate timbre, stunning on vocals etc. However, the Bernings were better in many respects - quicker, more transparent, even more accurate in terms of timbre, and made the Vitus sound almost lazy in comparison (even though it isn't in isolation).
    The area where the Vitus scored better was in terms of current drive (as you'd expect of a solid-state design vs valves), meaning it was a much better partner for the relatively inefficient YG Haileys where the Berning sounded thin. With the more sensitive speakers, however, the outcome was in favour of the Bernings for the reasons outlined above.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Ss-103