Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Biasing The Ref-150(SE)

I love the fact, that the 75 has the large meters on the front; that double for biasing.

Obviously, the 150 doesn't have them out front; but is there something inside the case? Or do you need a good, old-fashioned (and potentially dangerous...lol) Voltmeter?
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

Re: Biasing The Ref-150(SE)

The latter
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    The latter
    75 (for me) it is!!

Will they use 150s...or you really need, an SE for them??
    CD

DAC/Pre-amp - PSAudio DsJ > Power-amp - > Speakers - PMC TwentyFive 23s

From what I have read, you can still put the KT-150s in the non-SE Ref 75 but the Transformers in the SE are optimized for the KT-150 tube. Not sure how much sonic difference that makes but presumably some.
    Cyril
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Super Moderator

With KT-150's you'll get a bump in SQ. With the SE and 150's, even more of a bump in SQ. Every step brings more and better.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

From what I have read, you can still put the KT-150s in the non-SE Ref 75 but the Transformers in the SE are optimized for the KT-150 tube. Not sure how much sonic difference that makes but presumably some.
    Who told you that? If you send a Ref 75 amp to ARC to have it upgraded to SE status, they do not change out the output transformers. To my knowledge, the factory SE version has the same output transformers as the Ref 75. I have run the KT-150s in my Ref 75 since shortly after I bought it. They work perfect and the cover does fit on with the KT-150s in place.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

I may be wrong. I thought I read one if the changes entailed in the SE line was a different transformer for the KT150s. If that's wrong, I stand corrected.
    Cyril

I may be wrong. I thought I read one if the changes entailed in the SE line was a different transformer for the KT150s. If that's wrong, I stand corrected.
    I think it's wrong. No change in the power transformer or output transformers when you send in a Ref 75 to be upgraded to the SE version so I doubt there is a change in the production version either. There are few if any amps on the market now that are truly optimized to run the KT-150s to extract close to their maximum output power. These tubes are beasts and are loafing in most circuits they are used in which is good from the standpoint of long life. Assuming your amp can handle the KT-150, substituting them for KT-88s or 6550s should be an immediate upgrade in sound for most users.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

I wouldn't let the lack of a meter on the Ref 150 be the determining factor on a purchase. You just need to stick the volt meter probes into holes in the circuit board. Then, turn a screw-like thing with a plastic screwdriver to adjust. I admit it was scary at first, but it really is pretty straight-forward. If a dealer can show you the procedure, you might feel better.

More importantly, how does the 75 sound compared to the 150. In my situation, the 75 didn't sound as good as the 150 in certain situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Deafone View Post
    I wouldn't let the lack of a meter on the Ref 150 be the determining factor on a purchase. You just need to stick the volt meter probes into holes in the circuit board. Then, turn a screw-like thing with a plastic screwdriver to adjust. I admit it was scary at first, but it really is pretty straight-forward. If a dealer can show you the procedure, you might feel better.

More importantly, how does the 75 sound compared to the 150. In my situation, the 75 didn't sound as good as the 150 in certain situations.
    And what situation might that be? The difference in output is 3dB between the Ref 75 and the Ref 150.

Quote Originally Posted by Deafone View Post

Are you saying that the cover needs to be removed from the 150 to check bias?

Yes , you have to take it out.
    But the correct way is with a digital meter. The REF75 analog meter is not as accurate as the digital voltmeter .

And There are many parts changed from normal to SE

I'm going to look for the list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Quote Originally Posted by highEndguy View Post
    Yes , you have to take it out.
    But the correct way is with a digital meter. The REF75 analog meter is not as accurate as the digital voltmeter .

And There are many parts changed from normal to SE

I'm going to look for the list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Please let us know when you find your list. To my knowledge, ARC isn't publishing a list of parts that are changed out in the upgrade and I didn't think it was "many." What I do know is that the 3 most expensive parts in the amp (power transformer and output transformers) are not changed out.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Biasing The Ref-150(SE)