Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Re: First new toy of 2017 - Estimated Delivery: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 By End of Day

Welcome to the forum Roy, thank you for joining.

Congratulations on the new dac. Can't wait for your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by allears View Post
    Hi! Newbie here.

I've been following this thread with great interest and really appreciate all the useful comments and pics. I suspect you'll be hearing more from me more as I just placed an order for the MP-D2.

I was on the R2R bandwagon, had extreme interest in the Holo Spring and had actually placed an order but canceled after a one month wait and no DAC. I then came across the MP-D2 and was impressed by all the rave reviews. It seems like everybody across multiple forums likes this DAC which is a very good sign. I was also impressed by the large, heavy chassis and open design. So I balanced all the considerations including the price and took the plunge.
    I picked the basic model and will roll caps and tubes after it breaks in.

I can hardly wait to fire up this heavyweight.

...Roy
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Re: First new toy of 2017 - Estimated Delivery: Tuesday, January 03, 2017 By End of Day

Yes, that's right. I just hooked up my Mac mini via USB and am using Roon. Holy cow! It plays everything superbly, from streaming audio to DSD. I need to get some sleep but don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Unless he changed something from earlier he was going W4S Sonos, to MP DAC to STP-SE to Accuphase A-36.

Edit.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Yes, I'd say a little crisp, but not overly so. Certainly not mushy or soft. Open, airy, layered, 3D, with depth and ever so slightly forward, but not aggressive at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Very interesting DAC Joe. It will be interesting to hear how it develops sound wise. But no wonder it is crisp sounding with the AKM chips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Yes, I'd say a little crisp, but not overly so. Certainly not mushy or soft. Open, airy, layered, 3D, with depth and ever so slightly forward, but not aggressive at all.
    That is a good basis for developing some sweetness when maturing during the burn-in process.

“Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Super Moderator

Nice, it's already sounding better than when I first powered it up. Stay tuned.

That is a good basis for developing some sweetness when maturing during the burn-in process.

NAD C 658 streamer.

And just think Joe its not even broke in yet.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Super Moderator

Damn, I know. I woke up to even better sounding music.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    And just think Joe its not even broke in yet.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    No doubt... just an interesting point... another flavor DAC is all... just one I have never had the opportunity to own.... I have had 3 different BurrBrowns, Cirrus Logic, and a few different ESS's...
    Randy - Didn't you initially have a Teac UD-503 DAC back in the day? It uses the same AKM 4490 DAC, but you've had so many other DACs since then I can understand you forgetting about it! Sorry, but I just couldn't resist.

It was the Teac UD-501 which was a BurrBrown if I am remembering correctly.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    It was the Teac UD-501 which was a BurrBrown if I am remembering correctly.
    You are correct sir about the Teac HD-501, I most humbly stand corrected!

Re: First new toy of 2017 - Musical Paradise MP-D2

Hehe... no worries... I know I have had many (like nine I think it is)....
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    The AKM chips are every bit as capable as any ESS chip just a different flavor. Their newest chips, announced at CES the same time as the newest ESS ones, are also just starting to get used in gear. Many manufacturers favor them like Esoteric. That same chipset is used in an $8000 Esoteric player. The newest chip the 4495 is used in the $12,000 and $20,000 models above it. So they think it is O.K.
    Also the Astell & Kern players are using AKM, as well as the Questyle QP1R.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Nice, it's already sounding better than when I first powered it up. Stay tuned.
    Congratz Joe!...looks awesome!............I believe Musical Paradise is in my neck of the woods?Edmonton if I recall?
    Main System:Mcintosh MC601's Amplifer,Mcintosh C1000/C1000T Preamp,Kef Ref 5 Speakers,Mcintosh MCD1100 CDP,Mcintosh MT 5 TT, Olive 04HD, Acoustic Zen Absolute Shotgun Cables,4 ELECTRA™ 7 Power Cords&2 Pairs of
    ECLIPSE 7 (EBI) XLR's, Consonance D-Linear 15 Ultra Reference Power Conditioner/Surge Protector, SolidTech "Rack of Silence"Reference 4 Audio Stand.

Super Moderator

Thank you Michael. I think so but it ships directly from Hong Kong via DHL. Well packed and and shipped quickly. I can not believe what a bargain it is.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Randy - Didn't you initially have a Teac UD-503 DAC back in the day? It uses the same AKM 4490 DAC, but you've had so many other DACs since then I can understand you forgetting about it! Sorry, but I just couldn't resist.
    You know Bill, this chip the AKM 4490 is the same chip used in the new Bryston BDA-3 and the Teac UD503
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    You know Bill, this chip the AKM 4490 is the same chip used in the new Bryston BDA-3 and the Teac UD503
    Thanks, I realize that since I currently run the Bryston BDA-3 DAC!

First new toy of 2017 - Musical Paradise MP-D2

Joe, will be following this thread with great interest. It's getting really expensive to play the DAC game (more than other gears) and MP-D2 type of DACs could really quench some thirst.

Super Moderator

I already give my blessing. This is a killer deal. You do not have to upgrade like I did and even the basic model will get you in the door. Jack can help with upgrades. All the tubes and caps are a tube/cap rollers wet dream.

I am serious about how wonderful it sounds. It will do DSD through the USB input and you can upgrade in stages.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Joe, will be following this thread with great interest. It's getting really expensive to play the DAC game (more than other gears) and MP-D2 type of DACs could really quench some thirst.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe

Has any of the "edge" started to come off the top end after running constantly? The tubes shouldn't take long but the Mundorf's may take a while longer. Since I've already done the rectifier and 6 volt tube rolls I will probably try a couple of different caps after I finish rolling the 12 volt tubes. I'm running the DAC single ended due to the 6v gain from balanced so I only need to roll two capacitors. The cheapest place I have found for the Mundorf's is Sonic Craft and with shipping they are only about $10 cheaper than just letting the factory install them. The stock Obbligato's sound fine but I am pretty sure at some point the urge to try something different will get the best of me. And yes even with the shipped Russian 6H6 tubes and the Obbligato caps the MP-D2 is impressive.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Hi Jack,

It does seem smoother but I had it off when I left the house this afternoon and back on when I got home. I was not 100% comfortable leaving it on when not home although it seems extremely well made. So I will be power cycling it as necessary. I personally think some downtime may help the break in process, but that's me.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I already give my blessing. This is a killer deal. You do not have to upgrade like I did and even the basic model will get you in the door. Jack can help with upgrades. All the tubes and caps are a tube/cap rollers wet dream.

I am serious about how wonderful it sounds. It will do DSD through the USB input and you can upgrade in stages.
    Joe, did you do any other modding than the upgrades you indicated in the order configuration?

Super Moderator

No, I just picked all the options from the order page and maxed it out. Delivered it was $1400 with the initial sale savings. I'm using mine balanced. I could have easily saved more and used my own tubes to upgrade and then add the caps later on.

Joe, did you do any other modding than the upgrades you indicated in the order configuration?

NAD C 658 streamer.

You know a product is good when you can buy it on Amazon.

I don't see any way to add upgrade options here:

https://www.amazon.com/Musical-Parad...re-bullets-btf

Joe, Am I interpreting the pictures correctly? It seems like the caps are installed on some kind of binding post and could easily be swapped.

Super Moderator

Buying direct from Musical Paradise seems a little less expensive and you can add options. I saw that Amazon ad when I saw the sale for the MP-D2. The sale price was not reflected in the Amazon listing. I'm really loving mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    You know a product is good when you can buy it on Amazon.

I don't see any way to add upgrade options here:

https://www.amazon.com/Musical-Parad...re-bullets-btf

NAD C 658 streamer.

Dizzie

It is a binding post system for the caps.

I'm sure Garry does Amazon for the same reason as KEF, PS Audio and others. The exposure they get there is much cheaper than the magazines and they pay Amazon when an item actually sells. Plus some people think buying through Amazon is like a security blanket.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Any update Joe?
    Tannoy Westminster GR and ST-200 Supertweeter, Finale Audio 300B Mono's, Thoress Full Function Preamp, Thoress 845 Mono's, Found Music 2A3 Mono's, , Line Magnetic 219IA, Lumin A1, Lumin U1, EMM Labs DAC-2X, Lampizator Golden Atlantic DAC, Sansui TU-717, Kenwood KT-7500, Belden 8402 IC's, Duelund 16GA speaker wire

Super Moderator

It's an absolutely wonderful dac. Auto switching for DSD and PCM. Sounds even better than when I first hooked it up. OMG! MQA files played through the Tidal desktop app via the USB port is amazing. I think we have had a few members place an order for theirs, I hope they speak up. It's really a game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurs View Post
    Any update Joe?
    Last edited by joeinid; January 10, 2017 at 08:46 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

It's an absolutely wonderful dac. Auto switching for DSD and PCM. Sounds even better than when I first hooked it up. OMG! MQA files played through the Tidal desktop app via the USB port is amazing. I think we have had a few members place an order for theirs, I hope they speak up. It's really a game changer.
    I got mine yesterday evening. Still burning in; about 12 hrs. I left it on overnight.
    When I first fired her up, she was fairly rough with the channels out of balance and with an edge to the highs. Its starting to mellow out presently. I ordered my MP-D2 with the stock tubes. Just out of curiousity, I rolled in an old stock Westinghouse 5R4; didn't sound much different than the stock tube. Hard to tell now as I'm sure the caps are still going through their changes too. I suspect that the output tubes will have more impact on SQ.

The first effects I noticed were the greater detail, greater extension and more distinct separation/imaging vs. my modded MHDT Constantine. It needs more hours before I can come to an overall conclusion but so far so good. The sound seems to be changing as I write. Its tempting to go ahead and order replacement output tubes so that I'm using this burn in time to break in some of the more highly rated tubes. Maybe I'll order a quality rectifier at the same time. I bet this DAC will present big classical works well.

~ 40 hrs. on the clock and she's opening up with the imaging locking in more. The MP-D2 fills the room much more than my reference DAC. A more enveloping soundstage to be sure. Played Alison Krauss and Union Station Live 2002 last night and it almost brought tears to my eyes. A truly great live recording. The proverbial Veil of Maya has been lifted another notch. The MP-d2 is big, bold and colorful.&nbsp;<br>

Listening to Bill Evans -Complete Village Recordings presently and I'm hearing more of everything. I've always wondered about the placement of the drum set in relation to the bass. It sounds like the bass is to the left and the drums are also on the left but slightly more towards center stage and back a bit. The bass,of course, is more difficult to localize but Scot LaFaro plays in the upper registers quite a bit. I'd like to get a higher rez version for comparison. Just doing
    PCM 44.1 kHz here.
    Has anybody tried bypassing the output caps yet?
    I have a couple well burned in 0.1uf Russian teflons on my MHDT that I tempted to try on the MP-D2. Now I'm trying to decide which output tubes to roll in first.<br>&nbsp; &nbsp;
    The MP-D2 is a keeper but my opinion is probably not as well informed compared to others on this forum who have owned/auditioned many more quality DACs.

EEEK....I truly hate the timing out function and the 10 posts before allowed links that threw a wrench into this post.

...Roy

Super Moderator

Roy,

Thank you so much for the input and validation. It is a remarkable dac and performs amazingly well. I love mine.

NAD C 658 streamer.

It's tough to drag myself away from my rig and get some things done today.

Super Moderator

I know exactly how you feel. I was totally captivated as it started to break in and open up.

Quote Originally Posted by allears View Post
    It's tough to drag myself away from my rig and get some things done today.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Roy

It will keep getting better over the next week or so.

I'm getting very excited about this DAC! Its losing the vestiges of the initial edge. Getting smoother and smoother ...more musical. If its this good with the stock tubes I'll have a nice ride.

Roy

Other than the 5AR4's you can try pretty much all of the other rectifiers buying NOS on Ebay for usually less than $25 a piece and less if you are patient. If you want to stay in the 6 volt family with the input tubes since like me you are only swapping two the Tungsram PCC88 or the 6n23's from Reflektor or Volskod are a good place to start. Also the Phillips and Mitsubishi 7DJ8's are good for not much. The European 6DJ8's are a lot pricier.

Joe/Jack, do you guys know if it has DSD bypass mode ? The AK4490 supports it very well.

Super Moderator

I'm not sure what that is. Can you explain a little? It's auto switching and lets you know when dsd is active.

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Joe/Jack, do you guys know if it has DSD bypass mode ? The AK4490 supports it very well.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'm not sure what that is. Can you explain a little? It's auto switching and lets you know when dsd is active.
    Lot of DACs up-sample internally to higher sample rate - the AK4490 does 256x over sampling. Depending on the internal clock and its placement relative to the DAC chip, this may or may be optimal. If you up-sample it in the software, like the HQPlayer then the up-sampling is done twice. You loose the benefit of filters/modulators applied in the s/w and you are limited to what the DAC provides you. The bypass mode enables the DAC to bypass the internal up-sampling/processing and couple the input to the DAC's output stage. This is the cleanest signal path a DAC can provide. When in this mode, you would up-sample to DSD256 in your software and choose filters/modulators to fit your taste.

I have sent a mail to them couple of mins back and will post back what they reply.

Super Moderator

Thank you for that. I don't think it does but will do dsd 256 and I have to say it is amazing for the price.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thank you for that. I don't think it does but will do dsd 256 and I have to say it is amazing for the price.
    Yes, I don't think it does but thought of asking. I am especially interested in the tubes/caps output stage of the MP-D2 versus discreet class A opamps which my DAC currently uses. With the right combination of the s/w based modulators/filters and putting the DAC chip in bypass mode can sound phenomenal.

Super Moderator

Please post your findings. I am curious what they say and what you end up doing, dac-wise. Please let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by Devg View Post
    Yes, I don't think it does but thought of asking. I am especially interested in the tubes/caps output stage of the MP-D2 versus discreet class A opamps which my DAC currently uses. With the right combination of the s/w based modulators/filters and putting the DAC chip in bypass mode can sound phenomenal.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Please post your findings. I am curious what they say and what you end up doing, dac-wise. Please let us know.
    Joe, sure will.

On the dac-wise question, I have Mike (Blizzard) Purestream which also uses AK4490 in bypass mode and it sounds phenomenal, the best I have heard in my system. It uses 4 discrete class A opamps and just like the Nords, you can experiment with different ones. Conceptually this is also similar to the MP-D2 where you can tailor the sound based on the tube instead of SS. All I can say is if you looking for sound purity, you can't go wrong with the Purestream. MP-D2 peaked my interest for the output stage - if they are willing to support the bypass feature, I might get one. Let see what they reply back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Lampi killer? First new toy of 2017 - Musical Paradise MP-D2

(That ought to get Norman's attention)

Just kidding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hahaha!
    I dont see any DHTs so blood pressure very stable.

Just got back my upgraded GG that now has latest of everything...except I forgot to add HDMI input for i2s (future proofing). Just plugged it in and have the tubes breaking in. I have that Tube depot 274b in there as well as the much ballyhooded KR242. I am expecting to have some fun getting to know the Dac again.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

hey Norm whats the cost for a upgraded GG these days for us normal people ?

Not sure what you mean? The retail cost of a new GG or the cost of the upgrade I did?
    My upgrade was about $1.4K...to get it to current specs like a new Dac. See new prices on his website.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Not sure what you mean? The retail cost of a new GG or the cost of the upgrade I did?
    My upgrade was about $1.4K...to get it to current specs like a new Dac. See new prices on his website.
    Norm did you get the DS512 upgrade as there isn't much left to add to the GG as it come pretty much top shelf. ?

Thank you Oscar, I try and pay attention too. I do learn from your advice and experience.

Your welcome Joe.

Much respect, and best wishes on your endeavors. As it seems you've began to use common logic on a lot of this overly priced stuff......., I for one am proud of you.

_o scar

Super Moderator

Ha! If you only knew. No, seriously. There are some amazing products for not too much money or a sane amount of money that need to get talked about more.

My MP-D2 is absolutely wonderful and for the price, a true home run!

Quote Originally Posted by Kt77 View Post
    Your welcome Joe.

Much respect, and best wishes on your endeavors. As it seems you've began to use common logic on a lot of this overly priced stuff......., I for one am proud of you.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Ha! If you only knew. No, seriously. There are some amazing products for not too much money or a sane amount of money that need to get talked about more.

My MP-D2 is absolutely wonderful and for the price, a true home run!
    Folks over at Headfi are reporting with some tube changes even better sonics.

help, just hooked up the dac using coaxial from my cdp and i get no sound.
    what's up?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

First new toy of 2017 - Musical Paradise MP-D2