Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

DACs with texture

I have what i think is a pretty good DAC - its a Vitus MasterPiece, fed by a Vitus MasterPiece transport.

The other day i had a loaner valve based DAC from that famous valve based DAC company.

The biggest difference in the sound presented by the 2 DACs was the level of texture offered by the valve DAC. It was quite substantial especially on acoustic instruments.

has anyone come across DACs that they feel offer extraordinary texture?

Re: DACs with texture

Lampi - and the tube you use will make a big difference on the texture. not to mention I prefer it to all my other compares on soundstage width, depth, holography, and dynamics, and on decay so that during tuttis individual instruments stand out more due to having their own harmonics, tone and decay in a 3d stage.

Quote Originally Posted by pweg View Post
    I have what i think is a pretty good DAC - its a Vitus MasterPiece, fed by a Vitus MasterPiece transport.

The other day i had a loaner valve based DAC from that famous valve based DAC company.

The biggest difference in the sound presented by the 2 DACs was the level of texture offered by the valve DAC. It was quite substantial especially on acoustic instruments.

has anyone come across DACs that they feel offer extraordinary texture?
    I read a review and the the reviewer noted that the DAC you have " The sound of this unit is a deep, saturated and warm. It is a big, expansive sound with huge soundstage, tightly wrapping the listener in on all sides" So you really want, neutral , detail ?
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Schiit Yggdrasil and Holo Audio Spring DAC
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Audioshark

Another vote for the Lampi here in terms of "texture" and overall sound.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I have not heard most of the DAC's mentioned here. I have heard about a dozen or so lower to medium range DAC's that are fairly highly rated. The new W4S DAC-2v2SE is definitely of a different level. During a recent club meeting several members commented on how "analog" the DAC sounded. By the way, DAC's I have had in my system range from McIntosh, Marantz, Benchmark, Teac, Denon, NuPrime, among a several others...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I've now lived with the MSB Select II for 2 months in my system. previously in the last 2 years I had the Trinity Dac, the Golden Gate, the Nagra HD and the Aqua Formula.

agree that tubes of both the GG and the Nagra HD bring image tone saturation to the table; the Nagra the more liquid of the two, and the GG (depending on the tube) more bloom if less refinement and less separation in the soundstage in my particular system.

however; none of those approached the texture and inner musical nuance of the MSB Select II in my particular system. and I do think my system seems to penalize tubed dacs as having artifacts when compared directly to the linearity and refinement of 'uber' solid state dacs such as the Trinity or especially the Select II. the Select II resembles my vinyl and tape more than any dac I've heard. and those are my 'texture' references.

possibly my SGM server is also a variable.

likely plenty of systems synergize better (the +'s and -'s are different) with tubes and maybe the equation would be different. and I most definitely enjoyed both the Nagra HD and GG in my system. both were great to listen to. my comments are only what I found when I directly compared them. and when I compared the Nagra HD to the Aqua Formula the first time I preferred the Formula. but after some software upgrades to the SGM server 2 months later, that ranking switched and I slightly preferred the Nagra HD. with digital there are lots of variables.

I've ordered the 2nd power supply (3 weeks to a month away) for the Select II and that should take things even further.

Nyquist, Empirical Audio ODSX (had the SE and it was special), Davinci mk 2 (buddy loves his), Ayre QX5/20.

Paul, if you want the Sultan of tube dacs, my vote goes to the Audio Note Dac 5 Signature. There is also the Dac 5 Special if your budget doesn't quite extend that far. Audio Note gear does tend to take a big hit on the used market, so a good recent pre-loved example can be a relative high end bargain if sourced through a reputable seller such as a Dealer.

In solid state, the Boulder 2120 dac/streamer and Soulution 760 dac would both be outstanding. If you were contemplating selling your transport and dac for a pure dac, the Boulder could be a good option as it gives you an excellent streamer as well which gives you the ability to stream off a HDD or NAS.

In this system, the Wadax DAC replaced Vitus. Absolutely wonderful texture in orchestral music.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

thx everyone for responding

David - do u think the Boulder would be to my tastes? Anytime i have heard there amps they have been too fast and lean for me. Haven't heard their DAC though.

thx everyone for responding

David - do u think the Boulder would be to my tastes? Anytime i have heard there amps they have been too fast and lean for me. Haven't heard their DAC though.
    I don't know your tastes but having owned the 1021 and a bunch of other uber 1 box players.... the soulution(even 540) is much more relaxing. The boulder is cut from the same cloth as the 1000 series. I.e. Fast and bass heavy. It was a product well ahead of its time but not really the best performer when speaking of super DAC's of today. Functionality is incredible for a 10yr old Dac. I like a 2020 quite a bit better. Don't get me wrong, the sound is great (better than most everything praised by the press) but taking it to another level.... soulution/msb etc. are quite superior. Have not heard or seen the new 2120 but that kind of money for a tech. Progressing quickly(not always in the right direction) is asking for a headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the Aesthetix models or the Modwright Elyse would be worth an audition. I have just bought a Romulus Signature. Rich, textured and detailed a very accomplished sounding DAC/CDP
    Preamp: Aesthetix Calypso Signature
    Power Amp: Aesthetix Atlas Signature
    DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Signature
    TT: Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, Kuzma 4Point 11, Hana ML
    TW Acustic Raven One, Raven 10.5, Shelter 5000
    Speakers: Acapella High Violin MkIII

interesting call myrman - my dealer carries both those brands

I loved the Rom sig a few years ago. Was told the Eclipse takes it to the true ref level. I just sold my Rhea this week. Jim white is just a great designer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctsooner View Post
    I just sold my Rhea this week. Jim white is just a great designer.
    Me too. Moved up to the Rhea Sig.
    Preamp: Aesthetix Calypso Signature
    Power Amp: Aesthetix Atlas Signature
    DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Signature
    TT: Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, Kuzma 4Point 11, Hana ML
    TW Acustic Raven One, Raven 10.5, Shelter 5000
    Speakers: Acapella High Violin MkIII

I'm sure you are very happy. I have to get out of vinyl finally. Can't just keep gett No up and down to change sides anymore. About to list my cables, ultrasonic cleaner, albums and SR powercell as digital has finally gotten pretty close to vinyl.

I am another fan of the Lampizator. The other exceptional option would be the Totaldac especially if you are or were biased towards records and turntables.
    Caelin Gabriel
    President
    Shunyata Research

http://shunyata.com

Quote Originally Posted by CGabriel View Post
    I am another fan of the Lampizator. The other exceptional option would be the Totaldac especially if you are or were biased towards records and turntables.
    +1 ... Lampizator and TotalDac
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

thx Caelin and Nikhil.

i had an Atlantic (?) dac in my system for a demo. The texture was great but overall not quite as resolving as i am used to u. Soundstage was deeper and more layered too. I assume it would step up with the Golden Gate?

also, which Total Dac? I just checked their website. There sure are a lot of models, covering a wide price point.

The difference between Atlantic and GG is big. GG has much more resolution, separation, dynamics than the Atlantic. And the better tubes had even more texture and more of everything. There is a reason Atlantic is half the price, which is fine if one is listening to simple music.

Lampi will launch something that will make GG look like a pint sized dwarf soon. Mike has the launch event.

thx Caelin and Nikhil.

i had an Atlantic (?) dac in my system for a demo. The texture was great but overall not quite as resolving as i am used to u. Soundstage was deeper and more layered too. I assume it would step up with the Golden Gate?

also, which Total Dac? I just checked their website. There sure are a lot of models, covering a wide price point.

thx Caelin and Nikhil.

LampizatOr Launch Event at Suncoast Audio
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    The difference between Atlantic and GG is big. GG has much more resolution, separation, dynamics than the Atlantic. And the better tubes had even more texture and more of everything. There is a reason Atlantic is half the price, which is fine if one is listening to simple music.

Lampi will launch something that will make GG look like a pint sized dwarf soon. Mike has the launch event.
    MSB has already done that.

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    MSB has already done that.
    Could be, but at at least 4 times the proposed price of Pacific!

My buddy AL has a MSB Platinum and B& upgraded to GG standard. He heard and loved the Select 2. He recently changed his DHT tubes to EML mesh 2a3. Before he thought the GG was better than the Platinum, now they are in different zip codes. Moral is, there is more juice to extract from the GG...much more. Its the gift that keeps on giving.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

I had an MSB dac in my system once. Didn't like it.

it was too detailed, too fast and just not musical - in my system. So no interest from me on a 4 box MSB stack.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post

My buddy AL has a MSB Platinum and B& upgraded to GG standard. He heard and loved the Select 2. He recently changed his DHT tubes to EML mesh 2a3. Before he thought the GG was better than the Platinum, now they are in different zip codes. Moral is, there is more juice to extract from the GG...much more. Its the gift that keeps on giving.

I would ignore jap. He got banned from wbf because he always posted to foment trouble

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Do you mean physically size wise, or sound wise?

Can't wait to hear more abut the Pacific.... although, I'm starting to get a little bit tired about the visible and exposed tubes and is almost considering other options...
    Speakers: Kroma Thais. Amplifier: Ypsilon Phaethon. Digital: LampizatOr Baltic 3, Lumin U1 Mini. Analog: MoFi Ultradeck, PS Audio Stellar Phono.
    Other: Audio-Technica ART9XI, Ansuz, Vertere, Sablon Audio USB/Ethernet/DC, Paul Hynes, IsoAcoustic, UpTone EtherREGEN.

Quote Originally Posted by VoicesInMyHead View Post
    Do you mean physically size wise, or sound wise?

Can't wait to hear more abut the Pacific.... although, I'm starting to get a little bit tired about the visible and exposed tubes and is almost considering other options...
    Both. It it will look like a class A mono block. Not liking an exposed tube is a personal thing, can't comment

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post

If that's a dac IV, not exactly apples and oranges.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    If that's a dac IV, not exactly apples and oranges.
    He was talking about the Select 2.
    NORMAN

I've been running a Modwright Elyse for some time now and can't imagine a more enjoyable DAC to listen to. It responded very well to adding a strong pair of Amperex Bugle Boy tubes along with Mullard rectifier. I do wish it had an I2S interface so I could explore the full potential of some of the newer USB converters but I hear nothing wrong with what is built in.

According to my friend who owns a 2120 and 3060 power amp, the 2120 sounds resolving and quiet, but also liquid, tube-like & musical, which is quite unlike the Boulder of old. He is wrapped with it. Though the synergy between his 3060 & 2120 would be a factor.

That said, If cost was no object my first and second recommendations would be the Audio Note Dac 5 Signature & Soulution 760 which are both outstanding & musical. On more of a budget I second the Lampi GG balanced dac & Audio Note Dac 5 Special in tubed dacs, and Soultion 560 in ss if you're moving away from Vitus' house sound.

Have you compared GG and AN signature and Soulution?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbguy1 View Post
    According to my friend who owns a 2120 and 3060 power amp, the 2120 sounds resolving and quiet, but also liquid, tube-like & musical, which is quite unlike the Boulder of old. He is wrapped with it. Though the synergy between his 3060 & 2120 would be a factor.

That said, If cost was no object my first and second recommendations would be the Audio Note Dac 5 Signature & Soulution 760 which are both outstanding & musical. On more of a budget I second the Lampi GG balanced dac & Audio Note Dac 5 Special in tubed dacs, and Soultion 560 in ss if you're moving away from Vitus' house sound.

thx Caelin and Nikhil.

... also, which Total Dac? I just checked their website. There sure are a lot of models, covering a wide price point.
    http://www.totaldac.com/prices.htm - the price page best summarizes the range from TOTALDAC

Three excellent rooms at Munich had the 3 box D1 twelve DAC - Absolare, Marten and Engstrom.
    TOTALDAC deserves an audition if you are looking at a serious DAC.

Regards
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

David - great advice. I heard a Solution amp recently and really liked it so i might try that direction and see what happens.

can we even get AN uk over here?

Nikhil - i did notice the large number of Total Dac users at shows. Probably impossible to audition in OZ, but i did notice i can buy and send back if i dont like it

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

DACs with texture