Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Audioshark

Marantz NA-11S1 Reference Network Audio Player and DAC Review

Although it has been one big vinyl orgy around my house lately with the arrival of my new VPI Classic 3 and ARC REF PH2SE Phonostage, I have been listening intermittently to my new Marantz NA-11S1 since its arrival over three weeks ago.

The Marantz NA-11S1 has a myriad of digital inputs, including coax, optical, USB and Network – RJ-45 LAN Port (similar to the LINN Music Servers). The NA-11S1 sports both unbalanced (RCA) and Balanced outputs, as well as Coax and Optical outputs should you wish to use another DAC.

Designed, or at least voiced in part by one of the most influential personalities in high-end audio, Mr. Ken Ishiwata, the NA11S1 is a full out attack on “packaged media” and with CD sales rapidly trending downwards, the new Marantz network player represents a Swiss Army knife approach for those wishing to ditch the disc.

There is no video component associated with the Marantz. The NA-11S1 is focused on the high-end two-channel market and as such, has managed to produce a better product by eliminating video circuitry which often leads to noise problems.

The NA-11S1 sports a reasonably sized front display and controls. It is quite possible to work most, if not all, of the NA-11S1’s functions from the front panel. A very nice feature for those who just want to “get to it” I might add. Sadly, only the “black” version is available for sale in the U.S. The “gold” versions are sold exclusively in Japan.

The NA-11S1 offers multiple filters for different listening options. The Marantz DSP Processor – DSP PEC777f3 - (Marantz’s unique oversampling, noise shaping and dithering process called Marantz Musical Mastering) offers a number of DSP modes which allows users to tailor the sound to their liking. There are specifically two for digital sources, as well as the option of noise shaping and a DC filter with a 1.7hz cutoff. (Source: Marantz website)

In my tests, I was able to easily stream redbook rips, high res files and DSD flawlessly from my CAPS 3.0 Music Server via JRiver using the rear asynchronous USB port on the Marantz. I installed the Marantz NA-11S1 Windows Driver on my CAPS 3.0 and I was away to the races in minutes.

Using the RJ-45 LAN connection was not as simple. After configuring my Synology 1812+ NAS to stream audio (this involved simply installing and enabling the Synology NAS app Media Server) and connecting the NA-11S1 to my router, I was able to stream redbook rips and high res files but NOT DSD files. I tried a variety of workarounds including minimserver, but still no luck. If DSD is a big portion of your listening, you will need to still use a computer in between and feed the audio from your hard drive/NAS from USB. If anyone successfully finds a way to stream DSD from their Synology NAS to the Marantz NA-11S1, please PM me.

On the other hand, if DSD is not of any large concern to you, then not having to buy/use/maintain a computer can be a real benefit and one can really enjoy the benefits of a network music player sans computer!

I did compare the SQ of the USB vs the Ethernet (RJ-45 LAN) connection and found both to produce excellent results. I found the USB/CAPS 3.0/JRiver to produce very a very smooth sound, but the Ethernet produced a fuller sound. But truly, it’s splitting hairs here. Both were outstanding.

Marantz has managed to create an iPhone app for the NA-11S1. It works well, and since receiving my NA-11S1 a few weeks ago, they have been busy updating and improving the app on a regular basis. The app functions well for its designed purpose. It is possible to power on/off the NA-11S1 with the app, switch inputs and control all its core functions from the iPhone (no easy task, but the app does a good job).

In addition to your own music, the Marantz offers users access to thousands of internet radio stations, music stream services – including Pandora, SiriusXM and Spotify. Since I have a Spotify account, I did try it and I believe it was streaming in the highest resolution possible from Spotify. The sound was acceptable for a music streaming service and quite convenient through the Marantz.

The NA-11S1 includes a port which allows users to connect their portable device directly to the Marantz and the NA-11S1 even offers automatic iPod detection and charging (via the front USB port).

The Marantz USB port on the front will also accept a thumb drive full of music. If all that isn’t enough, the Marantz can, via AirPlay and a wireless home network, stream music from an iTunes library directly to the NA-11S1.

The NA-11S1 is equipped with dual master audio clock generators with jitter reduction for a variety of sampling frequencies and bit depths up to 192khz/24bits.
    It supports a variety of audio file types, including WAV, WMA, MP3, MPEG-4 AAC, FLAC, ALAC and DSD.

As a side note, the Marantz features the latest DSD chipset which allows true DSD streaming and playback via USB.

How does it sound?

My particular unit is well broken in now as I have had it running 24/7 for about three weeks. The NA-11S1 manages to play all sources and all file types well. It is at the top of the game in terms of redbook rip (FLAC) playback. High res files (24/96, 24/192) are reproduced in excellent detail and it represents one of the most analog sounding 24/192 capable DAC’s I have ever heard or owned (I have owned almost 20 DAC’s).

As for DSD, this is where the Marantz shines. Using a few direct-to-DSD tracks I downloaded from Blue Coast Records, I sat back in amazement as the Marantz created a three-dimensional soundstage which made me feel as if I was right there in the studio. Digital harshness was gone and I was left with very analog sounding, smooth and natural music. Some of the DSD harshness I had heard with other DSD compatible DAC’s, was completely gone with the Marantz.

The Marantz NA-11S1 offers two different filter options and technically two filters for PCM material and two filters for DSD material. For PCM material, Filter 1 offers a short impulse response for both pre-echo and post-echo. It is most suitable for large information-content audio. It produces the deepest soundstage with clearly defined positional relationships of the audio sources. Filter 2 on the other hand, offers asymmetrical impulse response. The post-echo is slightly longer than the pre-echo and it most resembles analog sound quality. (Source: Marantz website)

Using the filters with DSD material sees Filter 1 representing a direct mode in which there is no filtering versus the original DSD data (such as the SACD recording). The original source is reproduced as it is – including original texture and space. Filter 2 in use with DSD material shows DSD data exceeding 100khz being attenuated. This asymmetrical DAC filter gives priority to the resolutions, resulting in a smoother sound. (Source: Marantz website)

Although I ultimately selected Filter 1 as my overall favorite, in my listening sessions, both filters sounded excellent and quite close. I certainly need to spend some more time going back and forth between the two filter choices with different material.

Comparisons:

I had in my system at the same time, my reference DAC, the EMM Labs DAC2X (SE). The DAC2X has been in my system for 6 months (which is an eternity for any DAC in my system). Feeding both the DAC2X and the NA-11S1 the same source and running both balanced into my Audio Research preamp, I was able to listen to the same song, at the same time and switch back and forth between inputs, listening for nuances and differences.

On redbook rips (FLAC), the differences were indistinguishable. On High Res files, the Marantz NA-11S1 had a slight edge with it’s more analog delivery. On DSD (both SACD rips and direct-to-DSD recordings), the Marantz NA-11S1 trumped the DAC2X, producing a much more three-dimensional, transparent, more analog sounding delivery.

Complains

Well….I certainly would have liked to have the option of the beautiful Marantz gold color. I most certainly wish the RJ-45 LAN connection accepted DSD files, and I wish Marantz had an iPad app (not just an iPhone app). That being said, if I’m using the USB connection, then JRemote works just fine. The Marantz app would not apply here. With the RJ-45 connection, the Marantz iPhone app works fine, but there are other options – including Linn’s Kinsky ipad app.

Conclusion

In summary, the Marantz NA-11S1 musical reproduction of Redbook rips (FLAC) and Hi-Res Files is right up there with the best I have ever heard. It’s DSD sonic reproduction is the best I have ever heard in my system. At a dollar under $3500, the Marantz NA-11S1 is a game changer in the world of DAC’s and Network Audio players. To say it offers a big bang for the buck: more features and better sound than most of their competitors at less cost, is an understatement. To say I have a new reference DAC, is a fact.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Marantz NA-11S1 Reference Network Audio Player and DAC Review

Great review. You certainly have me intrigued!

always fun to find great values

thanks for the review
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Great review Mike, I think streamers are the future of digital !!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Mike...nice review/reporting! Thx.
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Great review Mike, I think streamers are the future of digital !!
    +1 on both counts!

Allen

Audioshark

I received a very nice email from Mr. Ishiwata thanking me for my review.

He confirmed my findings that DSD is only capable through USB (which is ok).

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Ken Ishiwata? Holy cow! Congrats Mike. A great review indeed.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

How cool is that?!! Great review Mike. I've always liked the styling of Marantz products.
    Doug

Mike, I've owned a few Marantz products & really liked them, especially the KI CD17. Will this stream & ethernet as good as usb asynchronous sounds etc in your opinion

Wow, congrats!!
    AS is going places , no joke , congrats
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Super Moderator

The Marantz NA-11S1 Network player is wonderful. I love mine.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by dlb2 View Post
    How cool is that?!! Great review Mike. I've always liked the styling of Marantz products.
    Thank you Nelson. He has been incredibly responsive and delighted by my review. We've been emailing back and forth as I continue to pick his brain on the various nuances of the NA11S1. It has various filters and such. It truly does everything.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    Mike, I've owned a few Marantz products & really liked them, especially the KI CD17. Will this stream & ethernet as good as usb asynchronous sounds etc in your opinion
    I've had an ongoing discussion with Mr. Ishiwata (such a nice man). His enthusiasm is very contagious. I asked him specifically about the USB vs Ethernet of the Marantz NA11S1, here is what he wrote me:

"USB VS Ethernet… Not easy to generalize since they depend how you handle them. As you know we have done a lot of things to isolate USB but we didn’t
    forget Ethernet neither… people may not see it but we put a lot of effort minimizing the problem of network connection…. Even the transformer used
    there is special one for Audio quality….

However, for pure approach, I would still recommend USB since USB B on back is completely isolated when it’s not in use!!! In other words, doesn’t
    influence other Audio performances like SACD/CD and Turntable listening!!
    "

My own personal findings was that the Ethernet was indeed a PINCH better. It seemed a little smoother...but man oh man...both are excellent. I think the USB has more detail, the ethernet is a little more laid back. But again we are talking about 99 vs 100 here.

I like the Synology 1812+ NAS (with Synology's FREE Media Server installed on the NAS and running) --> ethernet to router ---> ethernet from router to Marantz. No computer involved (Yeah!). I use the Marantz iphone app (although, I've seen the Android app...and it looks a little better...) and you can sort by Album, Artist, etc. Turn on and off the Marantz NA11S1 and much much more.

Kev - the Marantz offers a lot in terms functionality, inputs and most importantly, sound quality. There is no format it won't play (except DSD via Ethernet...I've yet to find a player that can!). If DSD is neither here nor there for you, then redbook rips and hi res PCM (24/96, 24/192, etc.) will be all you need via ethernet or usb. I love having choices!

Mike,

Thanks for the comments. Must be a very nice unit. The EMM is quite a performer so to have the Marantz be just about as good makes it quite a piece.

Mike

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Mike,

Thanks for the comments. Must be a very nice unit. The EMM is quite a performer so to have the Marantz be just about as good makes it quite a piece.

Mike
    It's actually better IMO (shhhhh!)

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    The Marantz NA-11S1 Network player is wonderful. I love mine.
    Joe...how do you like yours compared to the now departed EMM DAC?
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Super Moderator

It's actually better IMO (shhhhh!)
    The potential is there ....

Quote Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
    Joe...how do you like yours compared to the now departed EMM DAC?
    It's too soon to tell, but with 1 day on it. I think it's great. The DAC2X has probably too much detail for my system so I was not enjoying some recordings. I think ultimately Mike will be proven correct. I love voice better already. I need another 150-200 hours before I can be definitive.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Sounds like you should give Naim streamers a try. They just might be a great match for your TADs

The potential is there ....

It's too soon to tell, but with 1 day on it. I think it's great. The DAC2X has probably too much detail for my system so I was not enjoying some recordings. I think ultimately Mike will be proven correct. I love voice better already. I need another 150-200 hours before I can be definitive.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Sounds like you should give Naim streamers a try. They just might be a great match for your TADs
    Thanks Jock,

I've been pouring over the Naim website and forum, trying to get their gear straight in my head. I am very curious to hear it on my TADs.
    Last edited by joeinid; July 9, 2013 at 10:31 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

This is good to hear about NA-11S1.. especially since one of the several SACD players I experimented with over the years was an SA11S2.
    It had build quality beyond most anything I've ever seen, but the sound, well, just wasn't my cup of tea shall we say.
    Magnepan 20.7 - CJ ART 300s - CJ GATV2 - Meitner MA-1 V2 -Dedicated JRMC + Synology NAS

Audioshark

Quick update: I was playing around with the various inputs and filters today on the NA11S1. I found the USB with Filter setting 2, DC filtration off and Noise shaper off as my favorite combination. That combination bettered the Ethernet ever so slightly. It gave a much more analog sound with smoother highs and a fuller sound.

Nice !!
    Caribbean Distributor of
    ARC / Sonus Faber / Wadia / Wilson / VAC / Soulution / Nordost / Shunyata / Stillpoints
    Kuzma / Focal / Resonessence Labs / ARIA / KRELL / Pro-Ject...

Fabulous review Mike! I just wish I had one of those or any of the models Marantz has. As for CD sales going downward and getting rid of them, I say bunk. I still buy CDs. In fact, as long as there are CDPs there will be CDs and the used market is good right now. In my audio world there is room and purpose for many foerms of music media. I've known many who would say that Marantz sound is one of the best in vintage audio. Well judging just from my CDP5004 I'd say the same holds true today. Marantz just plain makes some of the best gear. I'm really impressed with Marantz. One thing about Marantz that I think lends to their great sound and gear is the fact that they only make audio gear. They don't get involved in other ventures spreading themselves too thin.

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

...They don't make skidoos and ski jets?
    ...Yamaha does, and motor boats, pianos, guitars, motorcycles, synthesizers, ....
    ~ Bob ~
    "And it Stoned me to my Soul" Van Morrison
    ClickAudiophile Audition
    Snoopy as the Red Baron attack
    Avatar = The Alan Parsons Project - Eye in the Sky (1982 - orbiting)

Mike......a very nice review!!

on a side note....since you've been in contact with Ken Ishiwata.......I don't know if he has any pull on what comes to the US market, but we want the silver/champagne versions in the Reference Series in the US. ie...PM11S3 etc. My email to Marantz was a very disappointing "no".

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post

on a side note....since you've been in contact with Ken Ishiwata.......I don't know if he has any pull on what comes to the US market, but we want the silver/champagne versions in the Reference Series in the US. ie...PM11S3 etc. My email to Marantz was a very disappointing "no".
    Thanks! I asked before I ordered mine and was told "no" too. I love that champagne color.

Quote Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post

Move to Japan!
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Move to Japan!
    mmmmmm.........Domo arigato

"Arigato" ... "Domo"; from 'Kill Bill - Vol. 1'.

~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Great review, Mike!

Even though it can't currently stream DSD via Ethernet, I would think it's feasible, with custom software and/or using a Field Programmable Gate Array chip, to enable such function. That would allow those of us streaming music directly from a NAS to play DSD without a computer in the listening room. Until I can do that, with the Marantz (or another manufacturer), I'll stick with Redbook and High-Res PCM via my Squeezebox Touch and Bel Canto DAC 3.5.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Great review, Mike!

Even though it can't currently stream DSD via Ethernet, I would think it's feasible, with custom software and/or using a Field Programmable Gate Array chip, to enable such function. That would allow those of us streaming music directly from a NAS to play DSD without a computer in the listening room. Until I can do that, with the Marantz (or another manufacturer), I'll stick with Redbook and High-Res PCM via my Squeezebox Touch and Bel Canto DAC 3.5.
    Thanks! Your plan makes a lot of sense. I was reading about a DAC that can stream DSD via Ethernet. I think it was the TBA DartZeel. I would also look at the T+A offerings as well to see of DSD over Ethernet is possible.

I hope the Marantz one day can do it too. But for now, I am converting all my DSD's to PCM using Korg Audiogate - so I have options.

Thanks for the great review Mike. Just a few questions:

1. Does the Marantz support all hi rez sample rates including 88.2 and 176.4 over USB and ethernet?
    2. Does it do gapless playback over ethernet? Gapless support has been an issue for other ethernet DACs.

Thanks again for your advice on this DAC.
    Terry

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Terry aka TSC Audio.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by TSC Audio View Post
    Thanks for the great review Mike. Just a few questions:

1. Does the Marantz support all hi rez sample rates including 88.2 and 176.4 over USB and ethernet?
    2. Does it do gapless playback over ethernet? Gapless support has been an issue for other ethernet DACs.

Thanks again for your advice on this DAC.
    Terry
    Hi Terry - welcome to Audioshark.org

To answer your question - yes, according to the documentation it supports all formats and sampling rates up to 24/192 on USB. I don't have any 88.2 sample rate files to try. But I have converted 176.4 files to FLAC and streamed them over Ethernet with no issues and of course, 176.4 works great over USB in DSD. But remember, no native DSD over Ethernet. But converting the DSD files to FLAC using Korg has been excellent.

As for gapless - the manual says it does - but doesn't specify whether its for USB or Ethernet or both. I would guess its just for USB - but I could be wrong. It may do it on Ethernet too....not sure.

Hope this helps.

Gapless over USB is never a problem. Gapless over ethernet often is.

For example, PS Audio's "Bridge" network streamer won't do gapless. They're working on a virtual soundcard to solve this issue but there are problems getting it finished. For a lot of people who enjoy classical music and prog rock the lack of gapless support with the "Bridge" makes it's network functionality relatively useless. In addition, the "virtual soundcard" software would still require a computer in order to stream over a network. This defeats the main benefit of network streaming. ie: streaming directly from a NAS without a computer.

As far as I know the only network streamers that can currently do this properly are the Linn DS streamers.

Luckily, according to Mike, the USB implementation on the Marantz apparently sounds as good as ethernet, so lack of gapless on ethernet wouldn't be a deal breaker. Hopefully, Marantz didn't overlook this important feature since streaming gapless over ethernet would be the main reason I would consider this DAC.

DSD over USB is a nice feature but only a fringe benefit due to limited content.

Terry

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by TSC Audio View Post
    Gapless over USB is never a problem. Gapless over ethernet often is.

For example, PS Audio's "Bridge" network streamer won't do gapless. They're working on a virtual soundcard to solve this issue but there are problems getting it finished. For a lot of people who enjoy classical music and prog rock the lack of gapless support with the "Bridge" makes it's network functionality relatively useless. In addition, the "virtual soundcard" software would still require a computer in order to stream over a network. This defeats the main benefit of network streaming. ie: streaming directly from a NAS without a computer.

As far as I know the only network streamers that can currently do this properly are the Linn DS streamers.

Luckily, according to Mike, the USB implementation on the Marantz apparently sounds as good as ethernet, so lack of gapless on ethernet wouldn't be a deal breaker. Hopefully, Marantz didn't overlook this important feature since streaming gapless over ethernet would be the main reason I would consider this DAC.

DSD over USB is a nice feature but only a fringe benefit due to limited content.

Terry
    Terry - if you are into classical - I would definitely get the Linn Akurate DS or Klimax DS for gapless.

My next DAC move will be a Linn Klimax DS or ARC REF DAC.

Terry - if you are into classical - I would definitely get the Linn Akurate DS or Klimax DS for gapless.

My next DAC move will be a Linn Klimax DS or ARC REF DAC.

...my, wouldn't that look good in your signature.I still daydream about one every now & then as with active speakers, it's all i would need

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bzr View Post
    ...my, wouldn't that look good in your signature.I still daydream about one every now & then as with active speakers, it's all i would need
    If I was in your shoes Kev - I would do the Linn Klimax DS....and you will Klimax!

I've heard the Linn Klimax DS as a DAC/Music Player/preamp several times in Phoenix and its a champ.

You also might want to give the Naim NDS network player in mind. Most people that have directly comppared them say it's on the same level as the Klimax.

If I was in your shoes Kev - I would do the Linn Klimax DS....and you will Klimax!

I've heard the Linn Klimax DS as a DAC/Music Player/preamp several times in Phoenix and its a champ.
    Jock

---------

Super Moderator

You also might want to give the Naim NDS network player in mind. Most people that have directly comppared them say it's on the same level as the Klimax.
    Jock,

I've been checking out the Naim gear. I am very impressed by what I read.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Mike...I like Naim gear, a friend has a Naim system and it's very impressive.

Dave
    "I must admit I felt a little uneasy
    When she bent down to tie the laces of my shoe"
    -Bob Dylan Tangled Up In Blue

“The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats...”
    ― Albert Schweitzer

“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.” - Bob Dylan

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    ― Jimi Hendrix

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by f1 fan View Post

Dave
    It definitely has me intrigued. The NDS is getting lots of great press.

Have you gotten the super nait yet?

Jock,

I've been checking out the Naim gear. I am very impressed by what I read.
    Jock

---------

Worst thing is that to get the most from the NDS you need 2 555PS power supplies and they're $9,500 ish a piece which gets to be a very expensive digital system. The plus side is that down the road the power supplies can be used over again - like me, I already had the 2 power supplies that I had used on their CD player.

It definitely has me intrigued. The NDS is getting lots of great press.
    Jock

---------

Super Moderator

Hi Jock

Not yet. I'm still waiting for my dealer to update me on what's going on. I have a feeling it will sound pretty good on my TADs.

Have you gotten the super nait yet?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

I priced out a full blown Naim set up and nearly fainted. I thought some of the gear I was interested in was expensive. Nothing like top of the line Naim.

Worst thing is that to get the most from the NDS you need 2 555PS power supplies and they're $9,500 ish a piece which gets to be a very expensive digital system. The plus side is that down the road the power supplies can be used over again - like me, I already had the 2 power supplies that I had used on their CD player.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Audioshark

The Marantz NA11S1 won the EISA (European Imaging and Sound Association) Digital Audio Player for 2013-2014.

Super Moderator

It's definitely an awesome piece. I love mine.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by f1 fan View Post

Dave
    Naim that tune.
    ~ Bob ~
    ClickAudiophile Audition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Marantz NA-11S1 Reference Network Audio Player and DAC Review