Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Wilson uses Focal drivers?

I found this picture online. Do Wilson speakers use Focal drivers?

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Wilson uses Focal drivers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Hi Mike,

In the past, Wilson has used Wilson designed, Focal built drivers. The Wilson Convergent Synergy Tweeter is a soft dome used in all Wilson speakers and is not built by Focal. There are 5 Wilson designed versions, each chosen based on application.

No current models have Focal manufactured drivers with the exception of center channels. There are two versions of each, one design updated using the current Convergent Synergy Tweeter and the other using the original tweeter. We continue to build both as there are many Wilson speaker owners who would like to add a matching center channel to their pre CST Tweeter based audio system.

Lastly, Wilson used versions of the Focal based tweeters for decades. Wilson, though 44 years old, maintains parts for all of the speakers we have produced. Even when a manufacturer stops producing, we go out of our way to insure supply. As an example the KEF B139 driver used in the original WAMM has long been out of production. Wilson found a cache of over 100 of them some years ago and bought them all. Keep in mind that this is for a loudspeaker of which only 53 pairs were produced and you can still count on two hands the total of B139 failures in production pairs since the mid 80s. As with KEF B139, we will always have some Focal based Wilson tweeters in house.

Hope this helps.

Audioshark

Thanks Bill. I know it's very rare to find a speaker company today that builds its own drivers, I can only think of KEF, Focal, DynAudio, B&W and maybe a few others. I had thought Wilson used drivers, made to their specs from their Scanspeak.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Thanks Bill. I know it's very rare to find a speaker company today that builds its own drivers, I can only think of KEF, Focal, DynAudio, B&W and maybe a few others. I had thought Wilson used drivers, made to their specs from their Scanspeak.

Mike,

Yes , it is very difficult to do both , the cost and expertise needed to do so would be staggering , companies specific to designing and building transducers would be hard to duplicate in a startup ..

BTW , most if not all Ribbon and ESL speaker companies tend to make their own drivers ..

Regards

Building drivers is an entity unto itself. Focal began that way exclusively and KEF was selling drivers in the 60's, Dynaudio in the 70s. What all have in common is the sheer numbers of drivers they build.

The resources to design and build one's owns drivers from scratch at the level Wilson requires could be more expensive than building the the speakers themselves. Anyone who has toured the Wilson factory knows how much goes into building our speakers. When you have manufacturers who are willing to work with you to develop drivers that meet your specific needs, it can be more cost effective than greatly increasing factory space/equipment investment/ and personnel. Plus we would have to develop the construction disciplines for drivers that our chosen manufacturers have developed over decades. That is, to commit to building our own drivers would require an investment such that the same drivers we use now would cost us considerably more. The downside might be the amount of time it takes to design a driver. But even that is minimized when you are an established company with a track record of continuous and logical development.

Were Wilson Audio a $100 million company, it might be a different story. But we are not.

Quote Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post

Were Wilson Audio a $100 million company, it might be a different story. But we are not.
    what is Wilson's gross annual revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    what is Wilson's gross annual revenue?
    Wilson Audio is a privately held, family run business. As such, Wilson does not divulge revenue information.

Wilson Audio is a privately held, family run business. As such, Wilson does not divulge revenue information.
    but you just did

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    but you just did
    Well there you go. I could be in big trouble!

A couple of years ago at a small informal Paragon event for Wilson owners, Dave his wife Sheryl and son Daryl shared stories and photos of history of Wilson Audio. During that event he quoted a sales number that surprised me at how low it actually was. Assuming that was his out the door number and not sales at MSRP it wasn't what I would expect. Now I am sure that value has gone up with the introduction of the new WAMM unless those limited edition speakers severely impacted production of the more mainstream offerings.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Well there you go. I could be in big trouble!
    Not really its public knowledge.

""" Wilson Audio Specialties Inc is a privately held company in Provo, UT and is a Single Location business.
    Categorized under Speaker Systems. Our records show it was established in 1973 and incorporated in UT. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of 8358561 and employs a staff of approximately 42.

https://www.manta.com/c/mm2m5mh/wils...pecialties-inc
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    A couple of years ago at a small informal Paragon event for Wilson owners, Dave his wife Sheryl and son Daryl shared stories and photos of history of Wilson Audio. During that event he quoted a sales number that surprised me at how low it actually was. Assuming that was his out the door number and not sales at MSRP it wasn't what I would expect. Now I am sure that value has gone up with the introduction of the new WAMM unless those limited edition speakers severely impacted production of the more mainstream offerings.
    You're right Jim, it would probably surprise many. At the end of the day, it's just a number. That number is irrelevant if the company is private like this one and so many others in this industry. I would guess +/- $10 million. But like I said, it's kind of irrelevant since none of us will ever become investors. The people behind the company is what really counts.

For me, it's more important to look at contingency plans for a company if there is a loss of the founder. Wilson obviously has a plan with Daryl taking over.

This is a topic Joe and I talk about all the time. We've been around a long time and have seen just recently Shindo, Basis, Thiel and many others struggle with succession planning.

We were recently reading, with much relief, about the contingency plans in place at CJ (https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...-brand-anymore). But there remains many question marks - especially with companies where the brand is the founder and the brand is named after him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the drivers in your picture are sourced from SB Acoustics. Probably with enhancements specific to Wilson's requirements.

Cheers......
    INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: OWNER/PRESIDENT OF
    QUINTESSENCE ACOUSTICS
    www.quintessenceacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by MRJAZZ View Post
    I believe the drivers in your picture are sourced from SB Acoustics. Probably with enhancements specific to Wilson's requirements.

Cheers......

Well they have the WA logo on the frame so does appear to be a special order item , specs may or maynot be the same thou ...

Regards

You're right Jim, it would probably surprise many. At the end of the day, it's just a number. That number is irrelevant if the company is private like this one and so many others in this industry. I would guess +/- $10 million. But like I said, it's kind of irrelevant since none of us will ever become investors. The people behind the company is what really counts.

For me, it's more important to look at contingency plans for a company if their is a loss of the founder. Wilson obviously has a plan with Daryl taking over.

This is a topic Joe and I talk about all the time. We've been around a long time and have seen just recently Shindo, Basis, Thiel and many others struggle with succession planning.

We were recently reading, with much relief, about the contingency plans in place at CJ (https://forum.audiogon.com/discussio...-brand-anymore). But there remains many question marks - especially with companies where the brand is the founder and the brand is named after him.

i would guess +/- 5million

Quote Originally Posted by MRJAZZ View Post

Cheers......
    Wilson drivers do not come from SB acoustics

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    i would guess +/- 5million
    Ancient history

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Not really its public knowledge.

""" Wilson Audio Specialties Inc is a privately held company in Provo, UT and is a Single Location business.
    Categorized under Speaker Systems. Our records show it was established in 1973 and incorporated in UT. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of 8358561 and employs a staff of approximately 42.

https://www.manta.com/c/mm2m5mh/wils...pecialties-inc
    That one might get in the ballpark through a third party source doesn't change non-disclosure responsibility.

manta gathers info from shared data bases and their own researchers, IIRC they were part of InfoUSA. Wilsons revenue data is probably from them providing credit related info and may even be self reported for the same purpose. D&B gathers data in a similar fashion.

Sure they do. So theoretically there will be a reasonable ballpark.

I've been an audiophile and music lover since my early teens. I have owned a lot of audio brands, like many here, and 3 years ago I purchased my first pair of Wilson speakers, the Alexias. I have been very, very happy with my speakers.

During this last three years I have paid close attention to the development of new Wilson speakers; as well as many others. The attention to detail and the focus on musicality are key elements of Wilson's engineering and development process. Whether they make their own drivers or have someone else build to their specs is not important to me. What matters is the musicality of their products, their quality and reliability and, of course, their customer service.

I have met the Wilsons and members of their team. Always very professional and very pleasant. Clearly music lovers. That's what is all about.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Wilson has been making great speakers as long as I can remember.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Banned

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    Jap, what you trying to say there
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Audioshark

Jap, what you trying to say there
    Bryston is the best match for Wilson?

Bryston is a consistent performer for testing and running in drivers. Since every driver is run in and tested before use, we need rock solid reliability.

Audioshark

Bryston is a consistent performer for testing and running in drivers. Since every driver is run in and tested before use, we need rock solid reliability.
    That speaks volumes. James will be happy to hear that.

That speaks volumes. James will be happy to hear that.

James already knows that!

I didn't know that. Interesting. At RMAF 2013 Wilson was matched with VTL and from what I read about RMAF 2016, Wilson was again matched with VTL.

Audioshark

I didn't know that. Interesting. At RMAF 2013 Wilson was matched with VTL and from what I read about RMAF 2016, Wilson was again matched with VTL.
    I have to say Chris, the VTL Siegfried/Wilson pairing hasn't been my favorite - especially with Nordost cables. The demo at RMAF last year that you reference sent people running from the room (and it wasn't the speakers). NOW, the non-Siegfried VTL amps (MB-450, 185) are superb. This was great at CES 2014: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/ces2014/...ransparent.htm

But at the end of the day, I prefer Wilson with D'Ag or Pass XA.8 and Shunyata cables all around. Just my two cents.

As does Graz now make his own ribbons to restore Apogees.

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Mike,

Yes , it is very difficult to do both , the cost and expertise needed to do so would be staggering , companies specific to designing and building transducers would be hard to duplicate in a startup ..

BTW , most if not all Ribbon and ESL speaker companies tend to make their own drivers ..

Regards

I have to say Chris, the VTL Siegfried/Wilson pairing hasn't been my favorite - especially with Nordost cables. The demo at RMAF last year that you reference sent people running from the room (and it wasn't the speakers). NOW, the non-Siegfried VTL amps (MB-450, 185) are superb. This was great at CES 2014: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/ces2014/...ransparent.htm

But at the end of the day, I prefer Wilson with D'Ag or Pass XA.8 and Shunyata cables all around. Just my two cents.
    In addition to Mike's recommendations, I also like Wilson with ARC and Doshi. Not so much with VTL. And, I have not heard them with Nagra (recently demoed in at least a couple of shows).

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Should find out this weekend how the XA 100.8's sound paired with an ARC Ref. 6 pre with my Sasha 2's!!
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
    Should find out this weekend how the XA 100.8's sound paired with an ARC Ref. 6 pre with my Sasha 2's!!
    Yes!!! So happy for you. Are you going to be around on Saturday? I would love to stop by for a listen.

Yes!!! So happy for you. Are you going to be around on Saturday? I would love to stop by for a listen.
    Yes, I will! Transparent promised my cables will be back by Friday, so everything should be up and running by Saturday.
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
    Yes, I will! Transparent promised my cables will be back by Friday, so everything should be up and running by Saturday.
    Ok, I'll call you.

There are many more speaker companies that manufacture their own drivers beside KEF, Focal, Dynaudio and B&W. I could easily add Raidho, Triangle, Elac, Usher, Vienna Acoustics, Revel, TAD, Cabasse, Vivid Audio, Monitor Audio, ProAC and many others...
    Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon HC < AQ WEL Signature XLR < Chord Qutest w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < SOtM tX-USBultra w 75Ohm Master Clock Input, Paul Hynes SR5-12 Turbo XL & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Aurender N-100H w AQ Dragon Source < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Solid Tech Hybrid < Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Darkz D2, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < Furutech FT-SWS < Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by johndoe21ro View Post
    There are many more speaker companies that manufacture their own drivers beside KEF, Focal, Dynaudio and B&W. I could easily add Raidho, Triangle, Usher, Vienna Acoustics, Revel, TAD, Vivid Audio, Monitor Audio, ProAC and many others...
    Yes! All true. Does ELAC?

Elac too! Added to the list.
    Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon HC < AQ WEL Signature XLR < Chord Qutest w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < SOtM tX-USBultra w 75Ohm Master Clock Input, Paul Hynes SR5-12 Turbo XL & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Aurender N-100H w AQ Dragon Source < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Solid Tech Hybrid < Ansuz Darkz D-TC, Darkz D2, Stillpoints Ultra SS, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer & Gold SE < Furutech FT-SWS < Synergistic Research Blue Quantum Fuse

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team