Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 42 12345611 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of Nord One Up NC500 amps with the Sparkos Class A op amp. Needless to say I am impressed. This is not the Class D that I remember.

These are powerful, have 3D, a big sound stage and are sweet with the vocals. Break in seems to take forever on all Class D. But after a few weeks of continuous play, wow, I am impressed.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!hypex-amps/avuyk

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Re: Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

Joe - can you tell me how the Class A works with this amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Joe

Anymore changes since we talked about them the first of last week? Has another 150 hours seen any changes. The Nuprime Class D amp came in this morning. I am going to let it cook for a couple of weeks in the family room before trying it with the KO's. Still o.k. here for the tubes for a while.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

According to the website:

An onboard 8 pin DIP socket allows different Op Amps to be easily swapped in the future to tailor sound and upgrade their Amplifier as required. The Upgrade delivers the ultimate sound with the ability to tune and further upgrade with a sound Menu of OP Amps via the onboard socket enabling easy changes of Op Amps, its called OP Amp Rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Joe - can you tell me how the Class A works with this amp?

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Super Moderator

Definitely smoother and more natural. Liking it so far.

So curious about the NuPrime.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Joe

Anymore changes since we talked about them the first of last week? Has another 150 hours seen any changes. The Nuprime Class D amp came in this morning. I am going to let it cook for a couple of weeks in the family room before trying it with the KO's. Still o.k. here for the tubes for a while.

NAD C 658 streamer.

There are supposed to be in the process of testing two more brands of Op Amps to see if they will make them available. I imagine you can buy any of them from PE, Mouser and other places. I am curious to see how it breaks in. Stephen Stone with TAS sure liked it as well as several owners I talked to.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

For the NuPrime or the Nord?

There are supposed to be in the process of testing two more brands of Op Amps to see if they will make them available. I imagine you can buy any of them from PE, Mouser and other places. I am curious to see how it breaks in. Stephen Stone with TAS sure liked it as well as several owners I talked to.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Op Amps for the Nord. If you want to try the Bursons, Chris at Parts Connexion carries them. The new ones they are testing are from Sonic Imagery and Audio GD.

Super Moderator

Awesome!

Thank you.

Op Amps for the Nord. If you want to try the Bursons, Chris at Parts Connexion carries them. The new ones they are testing are from Sonic Imagery and Audio GD.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Hey Joe - I thought you were keeping those a secret from AS since I only saw you post about them on other forums. Now the secret's out!
    I thought I'd move this here ...

Yes, the truth always gets out. These amps are wonderful. I put them back in tonight from almost a week of being away. Other than running as cool as a cucumber (I need some heat - my room is cold), they are great, absolutely love them.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Very cool stuff Joe, I'd love to hear them!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Very cool stuff Joe, I'd love to hear them!
    Mark,

I plan to bring them to Bruce's and hear them on the Salon2's. If we like the combo, maybe you'd be willing to try them on yours.

NAD C 658 streamer.

What are the high level specs and pricing Joe? Thx
    Cyril
    Speakers/Amp/Preamp: Thiel CS2.4 / ARC Ref 110 / ARC Ref 3
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Super Moderator

Cyril,

Mine were just under $2300 delivered.

• Silver Finish Mono Block Case
    • Single Hypex NCore NC500 Module
    • Single Hypex SMPS1200A700 Power Supply
    • Nord Input Buffer Board with Choice of Burson V5 or Sparkos Labs SS3602 Op Amps
    • Distortion: THD+N - - 0.001 % 20Hz
    • Frequency Response: 0 - 50k Hz +0/-3dB
    • Low Distortion: THD+N - - 0.001 % 20Hz
    • Low Input Impedance 47K
    • 26 dB Gain
    • Ultra High Damping Factor
    • High Current Output Capable of driving 2ohm for the
    Most Demanding of Speakers.
    550W 2ohm
    700W 4ohm
    400W 8ohm
    • 2.5Kg Case W 240mm D 280mm H 80mm
    With Feet and Binding Posts W240mm D340mm H95mm

NAD C 658 streamer.

Very nice looking stuff there Joe and reasonably priced. I'm not surprised you like them, Bruno Putzey is the best Class D designer in the business, the output filtering scheme is brilliant and more importantly, load invariant. Definitely not your grandpas Class D.
    Oodles of power. Should work with a wide variety of speakers. Including mine.
    Throw in a nice tube pre and you're enjoying some fine sounds...

cheers,

AJ

Super Moderator

Thank you AJ,

I've been using a McIntosh C52 lately with great sucess, but I do need to try my GAT. Overall, I am very impressed. Best Class D that I've heard so far.

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Very nice looking stuff there Joe and reasonably priced. I'm not surprised you like them, Bruno Putzey is the best Class D designer in the business, the output filtering scheme is brilliant and more importantly, load invariant. Definitely not your grandpa's Class D.
    Oodles of power. Should work with a wide variety of speakers. Including mine.
    Throw in a nice tube pre and you're enjoying some fine sounds...

cheers,

AJ

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thx for info Joe. Very reasonable price. What speakers are you driving with these bad boys? Let us know how they sound with the GAT pre. Thx.
    Cyril
    Sources: Basis 2001/Graham2.2/Nagra BPS/Benz Micro Glider SL, Dynavector 20X2-L, ARC CD7, Oppo BDP-83 SE
    Cables/Power/Other: Nordost Heimdall ICs, SCs / Shunyata Hydra 8, Shunyata Python Helix PC / VPI 16.5, HRS Nimbus isolation system

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Cyril,

Mine were just under $2300 delivered.

• Silver Finish Mono Block Case
    • Single Hypex NCore NC500 Module
    • Single Hypex SMPS1200A700 Power Supply
    • Nord Input Buffer Board with Choice of Burson V5 or Sparkos Labs SS3602 Op Amps
    • Distortion: THD+N - - 0.001 % 20Hz
    • Low Distortion: THD+N - - 0.001 % 20Hz
    • Low Input Impedance 47K
    • 26 dB Gain
    • Ultra High Damping Factor
    • High Current Output Capable of driving 2ohm for the
    Most Demanding of Speakers.
    550W 2ohm
    700W 4ohm
    400W 8ohm
    • 2.5Kg Case W 240mm D 280mm H 80mm
    With Feet and Binding Posts W240mm D340mm H95mm

Joe where does one view these fully built Ncore options and prices.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Super Moderator

Joe where does one view these fully built Ncore options and prices.
    Hi Chris,

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!hypex-amps/avuyk
    Last edited by joeinid; March 1, 2016 at 07:29 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

Cyril,

For the first 2 weeks I ran them non-stop with my LS-50 speakers and it sounded great. Now my Strads are hooked up and it sounds even better.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Cyril,

For the first 2 weeks I ran them non-stop with my LS-50 speakers and it sounded great. Now my Strads are hooked up and it sounds even better.
    Impressive. Enjoy them.
    Cyril

Super Moderator

Thanks! They seem tonally more dense and fuller than other Class D amps. More meat on the bone as they say.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I checked today and the conversion rate is 1 British Pound (GBP) = 1.3959 USD

Here is a converter to check the latest or other currencies.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/currency-co...D;to=EUR;amt=1

If any of you guys want to try out an NC500 based amp and don't want to order from a "new guy on the block", Merrill has one for $2500 using his own designed buffer board. There are a couple of reviews online. Only draw back for some may be that it is stereo only. I think the Nord looks better and has higher quality connectors but that's just me.

Super Moderator

I think I had to pay UPS a small duty fee of $30 or so and I forget if PayPal took a little extra too. I think I was all in for $2250 maybe. Well worth it.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Somehow found out about Nord not that long ago and it got my interest. Not a ton of info on the web so it's nice to hear from someone who has one and likes it.

Currently running a Gato which uses Pascal class D tech. Would love to compare it to Ncore someday.

Super Moderator

Hi,

I have to say my Nord amps now are outstanding. Love them. Extended break in on any Class D is a must, and these are no different that way, but these are performing better than I had hoped. They seriously kill some amps at 10X (maybe not quite ten times) the price. The Sparkos op amp is supposed to warm up the sound and add some tone and body. I don't know how it would sound with the stock or other op amps but I am enjoying what I have now and absolutely zero regrets. Just wonderful.

Another forum member has been talking to me about the Gato and loves the sound but is not 100% happy although the company has been awesome to deal with and is very responsive.
    Last edited by joeinid; March 5, 2016 at 03:11 PM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe,

Which opamps are you using ?
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Super Moderator

The Sparkos.

http://sparkoslabs.com/discrete-op-amps/

Specifications

• Full Data Sheet Available Here
    • 140 dB Open Loop Gain
    • 415nV RMS (2.9nV√HZ) Noise to 20KHZ
    • +/- 18 Vcc Max
    • 15mA Class A Ouput Current
    • 65mA Max Output Current
    • 14mA Supply Current
    • < 300µV Typical Offset

Features

• Optimized For High Performance Audio
    • Available In Single Or Dual
    • DIP8 Compatible Package
    • Circular Machined Gold Plated Pins
    • Smallest Discrete Op Amp On The Market
    • 100% Class A Biasing
    • Two Pole Compensation
    • NPO Capacitors
    • 1% Metal Film Resistors

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Joe,

Which opamps are you using ?

NAD C 658 streamer.

The ability to pick the op-amp is a nice option.

Looks like Atsah 500 and the Bel Canto e.One REf600M monos are also using the NC500 / SMPS1200 combination. Wonder if other companies will try it too, as it seems like the performance is close to amps using the much more expensive NC1200.

How is the finish on the Nord? The Atsah and the Bel Canto seem pretty utilitarian design-aesthetic-wise.

Super Moderator

Fit and finish is great. The amps are very light but all Class D are light. Heavy cables could tip the unit a little but the whole package is rock solid. Colin from Nord/IQ speakers does a great job on the amps.

NAD C 658 streamer.

I'm reading about Nord, you got me interested

The amps are very light but all Class D are light.
    Well, those that use switch mode power supplies (SMPS) are light. Those that use linear PSs (like toroids) can be heavy.

cheers

AJ

Mate

If you are walking away from the Gato situation you might want to look at Abrahamsen. Integrated and then get the DAC of your choice that you can change with technology changes.

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!abraha...mplifier/c1vfy

You would buy direct from Abrahamsen in your country.

Another option is the Nuprime IDA-16. It is a 200wpc all in one integrated/DAC like the Job and Devialet. Has voltage switch on the back so you can buy from any dealer that has the best currency exchange rate for you.

Thanks Jack, I'm still between several scenarios... Abrahamsen did cross my mind a few times, but I'm trying something even better - to convince my friend to order Abrahamsen for himself as his first ever amplifier; that way I'll be able to audition it. I'm familiar with Electrocompaniet, which is somewhat popular here and basically the same thing as Abrahamsen. I like it, but didn't exactly blow me away.

Would someone be willing to summarize how the NC500 differs from the NC400 modules? I built an NC400 stereo amp several years ago and had it for about a year. It was very accomplished in some areas (midrange and resolution) and lacking to my ear in others (high frequencies and bass) in my system and in my opinion of course.

Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

While the 500 has a bit more power and current capability compared to the 400, I believe that the most significant difference is that the 500 is better setup to accommodate custom input stage designs which can be substantially better sounding than the stock input stage. Many designers are using discrete class A circuits for the input stage with 500 modules. Also many of the 500 designs (like the Nord) make use of the much higher current 1200 series power supply instead of the standard 500 series version which allows for much better dynamic performance and more headroom. The Nord design is also setup to allow you to easily select or change the input stage op-amps of which there are at least a few discrete drop in options.

Awesome! Thanks

Living Room System: Mac Mini > PS Audio PWD MKII/ Marantz TT-15 Turntable w/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze> Musical Fidelity LX2LPS> Primaluna Dialogue Premium> Klipsch Forte III

I just built the NC400 mono amp kits from Hypex. Deceptively good and very neutral.
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

How many op-amps/monoblock chassis? What is the price range on op-amps?

The solid state version of tube swapping.

Super Moderator

http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!produc...a-4db51ca43bd9

I think the amps take one op amp each and that price is for a pair as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    How many op-amps/monoblock chassis? What is the price range on op-amps?

The solid state version of tube swapping.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Joe, I don't know how i missed this thread. Man those amp looks great ! What do you pair with ? your Kef Bookshelf ?

Nice.
    Paul

Super Moderator

Hi Paul

I started breaking them in with my LS50. Now I am using them on my Strads and I have to say that they are wonderful. Surprised the heck out of me.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe. Meantime I read the whole thread. You already mentioned earlier. Sorry about that.

Nice stuff.

Paul

Super Moderator

No problemo.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hi Joe have you heard about the recent revision plans for the Nord input buffer boards? Expect a very large improvement in sound available out of your amps very soon.

It will be very easy to install as well.

All of the details are on here if you read the last couple pages on this thread posted in the next post. I'm bavmike BTW.

Super Moderator

Thanks Mike, I'll check it out.

I am shocked at just how awesome the amps are now.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Page 1 of 42 12345611 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team