Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast

Ansuz Cables & Accessories

Greetings all,

Thought I'd start up a new thread on Ansuz, to share experiences with their products.

Cables

Ansuz will doubtlessly be a new name for many readers.

To anchor this it might be helpful to know that the company is Danish and is fronted by luminaries from Raidho Acoustics / Dantax Group; Michael Børresen and Lars Kristensen. There is a behind the scenes Managing Partner in the form of Frits Dalmose.

Lars and Michael barely need any introduction.

For 20+ years Lars was the frontman for Nordost Corporation and beyond being a sales guy he is also a designer of resonance control devices.

Michael is the Chief Designer at Raidho and a leading expert in mechanical engineering.

It turns out that this innovative pair have turned their hand to design and productize advanced electrical / mechanical grounding solutions which we are now seeing in the Ansuz product range.

Is the stuff good?

Well, I am about to try. Anyone else out their experimenting?

Audioshark

Re: Ansuz Cables & Accessories

Exciting! Keep us posted. I bet their cables will be excellent!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

My dealer just received his Ansuz cables and told me he was pretty impressed, but wanted to get them more broken in.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Prices

Mainz Power Cords
    MSRP:
    Mainz S-1.0 (1.0m) $1,200
    add $600 per additional meter
    Mainz A-1.0 (1.0m) $2,000
    add $1,000 per additional meter
    Mainz C-1.0 (1.0m) $3,600
    add $1,800 per additional meter
    Mainz D-1.0 (1.0m) $10,000
    add $5,000 per additional meter

Signalz Interconnect (pair)
    MSRP:
    Signalz S-1.0 (1.0m) $1,600
    add $800 per additional meter
    Signalz A-1.0 (1.0m) $2,800
    add $1,400 per additional meter
    Signalz C-1.0 (1.0m) $4,800
    add $2,400 per additional meter
    Signalz D-1.0 (1.0m) $14,000
    add $7,000 per additional meter

Speakerz Speaker Cable (pair)
    MSRP:
    Speakerz S-2.0 (2.0m) $2,400
    add $840 per additional meter
    Speakerz A-2.0 (2.0m) $4,000
    add $1,400 per additional meter
    Speakerz C-2.0 (2.0m) $8,000
    add $2,800 per additional meter
    Speakerz D-2.0 (2.0m) $16,000
    add $5,600 per additional meter

Mainz Distribution Mainz 8 outlet $3,200

SparkZ EU $480
    SparkZ US $480

DarkZ A/C $260
    DarkZ C/C $380
    DarkZ D/C $600

Thanks Wizard.

Word is that later this year we can expect to see an active version of the SparkZ, possibly named SparkZ TC (Tesla Coil) and an equipment rack (RackZ?) - the later being a resonance control design to mechanically ground components.

Interesting!
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

DarkZ Review

Audioshark

Thanks Wizard. I would like to see pics of the speaker cables and interconnects.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Gents,

Photos of Ansuz Diamond SignalZ from my local forum.

Early reports on testing of Ansuz vs. Nordost give Ansuz the clear victory. Seems (according to others) that even entry level Ansuz outperforms Nordost Odin.

Ansuz also taken on and defeated the very expensive Crystal Absolute Dream.

My own tests are on-going.

Ansuz Diamond - Look out Nordost!.jpgAnsuz Diamond XLR.jpg
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

Further photo below of the entry level SpeakZ and MainZ products called POM.

According to reports posted at another forum, the Ansuz products perform to a very high standard.

IMG_5175_zps56c1e189.jpg

Early reports of what test Kiwi and what others gave a clear victory? I love Michael's products also but shouldn't comments like that be backed up with hard data or measurements?

Quote Originally Posted by AudioSalon View Post
    Early reports of what test Kiwi and what others gave a clear victory? I love Michael's products also but shouldn't comments like that be backed up with hard data or measurements?
    Those early reports were anecdotal observations from third parties who have auditioned or bought Ansuz products and put them into their systems to compare them with their current cables. Their current cables had been reference products from Nordost, ASI and Crystal. If you interested in reading some of their commentary click here

From a specification perspective we are “told” that Ansuz has much lower inductance and capacitance than other cables in the same price category. This we assume to be good for music. I have not seen hard data to date on the claim.

Personally, I am a long time Nordost fan. I have Nordost Odin and Valhalla cables in my system, together with Qbase, Quantums and Sort Kones. I am completely on-board with Nordosts foundation theory. After hearing Nordost vs. Ansuz in another system I was so impressed with the Ansuz that I have recently taken delivery of some Ansuz products and waiting for some more to come so I can arrive at my own system based conclusion.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    Those early reports were anecdotal observations from third parties who have auditioned or bought Ansuz products and put them into their systems to compare them with their current cables. Their current cables had been reference products from Nordost, ASI and Crystal. If you interested in reading some of their commentary click here

From a specification perspective we are “told” that Ansuz has much lower inductance and capacitance than other cables in the same price category. This we assume to be good for music. I have not seen hard data to date on the claim.

Personally, I am a long time Nordost fan. I have Nordost Odin and Valhalla cables in my system, together with Qbase, Quantums and Sort Kones. I am completely on-board with Nordosts foundation theory. After hearing Nordost vs. Ansuz in another system I was so impressed with the Ansuz that I have recently taken delivery of some Ansuz products and waiting for some more to come so I can arrive at my own system based conclusion.
    Thanks Kiwi. Very exciting times for Raidho/Ansuz.

I have the entry level Anzus speaker cable and will compare those with Nordost V2 this week. I have compared them to Tara Lab Omega Gold and they perform very well in comparison but the 24k TL is an easy pick in my system as it should be given the price. Based solely off of memory I do believe the entry level Anzus speaker cable outperforms Nordost Valhallal one. I will let you know my thoughts on the Valhala 2 versus the entry-level Anzus. I am anxious to try the top of the line Anzus cables.
    Design Audio Video is a dealer for:

Electronics:
    Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:
    Raidho, Focal, Revel, Dynaudio, JBL, Sonus Faber

Cables:
    Tara Labs, Shunyata, Nordost, Straightwire, Ansuz, Transparent

Accessories:
    Stillpoints, Quadraspire, Shelter, Transrotor

David, please post back with your impressions!

Allen

To say an entry level is better than an Odin, those that claim it need to slow down a bit. I know is very exciting to find a cable that performs well at a decent price including me, but don't forget Odin is used in the Raidho speakers, real hard evidence and trials is need it to make such high claims. Really I'm looking foward to real findings, data, system used, etc
    My 2 cents
    Angel

Nakamichi Dragons
    Nakamichi CR-7A
    Nakamichi ZX-9
    The Elite Super Metal Cassettes
    AMG Viella 12 Turntable
    ARC Reference Phono 2SE, Benz LP S
    ARC Reference 10
    ARC Reference 150
    Sonus Faber Amati Futura's
    Isoclean Transformer 3030G, amp direct to wall
    Isoclean, Nirvana, Vahalla

Hi Everyone

I am very excited about the Anzus cables as well. But everything to do with a cables sound is strictly based on the room the equipment and most importantly how an individual hears all of these components in his or her environment. It all boils down to someone's opinion. To my knowledge there is not a true scientific way to prove one cable is better than another. I have to monitor myself in saying one cable is superior to another. It may just be my preference for my system in my room. It could sound terrible in another setup in a different room and a different pair of ears. That being said my favorite cables have been the TL Zero and Omega Gold. I will say that the bottom end Anzus speaker cable was a lot closer to the ten times more expensive TL cable than I would have expected. Of course this is only my opinion based on listening comparisons in my room with my electronics and my ears.

Electronics:
    Accuphase, Constellation, Pass Labs, McIntosh, Krell, Bryston, Devialet, Mark Levinson, EAR, T+A, Octave

Speakers:

Cables:

Accessories:

Quote Originally Posted by baskinshaw View Post
    Hi Everyone

I am very excited about the Anzus cables as well. But everything to do with a cables sound is strictly based on the room the equipment and most importantly how an individual hears all of these components in his or her environment. It all boils down to someone's opinion.[...]

Very true and well said David. It does boil down to someone's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by baskinshaw View Post

[...] To my knowledge there is not a true scientific way to prove one cable is better than another.

We await publication of Ansuz's specifications. If Ansuz publically state their cables, due to their unique design, have practically zero inductance and say only 10% of the capacitance of Nordost's Supreme reference -- then "scientifically" (for what that is worth) -- Ansuz is a more perfect cable.

First sightings of the Ansuz Acoustics mains power distributor called MainZ 8

Two versions apparently being bought to market; A & D [Designating Aluminium and Diamond, consistent with the Ansuz cable designations]. The red dots are believed to indicate the primary earth socket, where the heart of your audio system - generally the pre-amplifier - is to be plugged.

MainZ8 Base.jpg

MainZ8 Distributor.jpg

Audioshark

Thanks for sharing Kiwi.

My power cable shoot-out will happen later this week. Essentially I will be taking four power cords; Nordost Odin, Nordost Valhalla, Ansuz C and Ansuz P and compare them by swopping them at my wall socket. Just one system variable will change - the first power cable. Should be interesting.....

Photo below shows the actual cables. From top left, clockwise; Odin / Ansuz C / Ansuz P / Valhalla

Power Cable Show-Down.jpg
    Last edited by joeinid; October 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM.

Super Moderator

Can't wait for your updates. This will be very interesting!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Looking forward to your results.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

The Empire of the Rising Power Cord

PART ONE

Fifteen years ago, if you’d said to me that a single power cord can make a difference to the sound of an entire audio system – I would have laughed at your face and called you a “mug”(1). Nowadays I blankly stare at that “mug” in the bathroom mirror each morning….

Looking back, my fall from Sanity and my “comfortably numb” attitude to US$10,000+ power cords were fertilised some ten years back while attending a Nordost demonstration at a local trade show. I sat transfixed as Nordost frontman Lars Kristensen played his much favoured dynamic music with first, a motley mixture of decent-to-very-good high-end cables of the day; second, a suite of Nordost’s Blue Heaven cables; third, a suite of Nordost’s Red Dawn cables; and, finally, a full loom of Nordost’s then-top-of-the-line SPM cables. I watched him like a hawk, and he never touched, much less changed anything but the cables. I even rose out of my chair at one point during the demonstration and invited myself to join Lars at the back of the equipment rack as he was changing cables – just to make sure his fingers didn’t leave his hands.

So impactful was that demonstration that in the years that ensued I keenly followed Nordosts every move – and so when Nordost started espousing their “Foundation Theory” several years back – I digested it like milk and cookies.

Today, my system foundation looks like a Nordost brochure; dedicated AC spur with good quality sockets; star earthed distribution block (Quantum QBase QB8); a clean earth feed from the QBase to a copper rod garden earth; high quality first cable from the wall socket (Nordost Odin 2.5m); same power cords feeding all key components; same interconnect leads (Nordost Valhalla) feeding all key components; effective mechanical earth for all components achieved via 30 units of Nordost Sort TC kone and a special lightweight equipment rack with Nordost Pulsar point floor coupling. Further, tipping my hat to Quantum Mechanics we have three Quantum QRT devices (Nordost QX2 & QX4) in the AC chain to reduce EMF noise and RFI interference effects as well as improve the consistency and regularity of the AC mains waveform; further aided by Nordost Qv2 line harmonizers which introduce a carefully calculated range of pulsed frequencies, clocked from the original 50 or 60Hz waveform to result in a drop in overall systems noise floor.

Sounds expensive…. And trust me it is – but the point of the foundation theory is to make the most of what audio components you have already got, rather than replace them en masse in a regular fashion searching for that ever elusive satisfaction. In my experience, an entry level integrated amplifier used in conjunction with the above foundation can outperform a stunningly expensive separate pre and power amplifier – sans the foundation.

This rather lengthy introduction positions me for the purpose of this particular update which is to share my initial findings on a new entrant to the foundation theory field – Ansuz Acoustics. While the company name is new; the people behind it are not; with key stakeholders actually having a hand in the design of some Nordost products and therefore having an intimate understanding of what is needed to get the best performance from your audio system, irrespective of make.

Ansuz Acoustics has already launched a range of products to market. These products include DARKZ decouplers; SPARKZ scalar field sound enhances and a range of power cords, interconnect and speaker cables. In earlier investigations I found the Ansuz SPARKZ to be complimentary to the Nordost Qv2 (i.e. they have somewhat different effects and having both in the system is good) whereas I was disappointed with the Ansuz DARKZ D footers – not being an advance in my opinion over the Nordost Sort TC Kone.

As legend goes, the most important single cable in any audio system is the one coming out of the wall. Why that is the case is beyond the scope of this update – but to be succinct, when we listen to music through a hi-fi system what we are actually hearing is the power supplies that drive the system. My reference for the past few years has been Nordost Odin, but there is a growing buzz out there that Odin no longer reins supreme and that even Ansuz’s entry level power cords can perform better.

In PART TWO, the method for investigating the claim will be outlined; and in PART THREE, if I can find the energy, my system related results will be shared.

(1) British slang for a fool

Wow! Consider me teased and waiting with bated breath!
    Michael

Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

Very well written Kiwi ! I'll be waiting for your next report.
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Audioshark

Thanks kiwi. Looking forward to the next sections. Very well written.

Wow Kiwi, this is exackly how you do a shoot out, Thank you
    Angel

Nakamichi Dragons
    Nakamichi CR-7A
    Nakamichi ZX-9
    The Elite Super Metal Cassettes
    AMG Viella 12 Turntable
    ARC Reference Phono 2SE, Benz LP S
    ARC Reference 10
    ARC Reference 150
    Sonus Faber Amati Futura's
    Isoclean Transformer 3030G, amp direct to wall
    Isoclean, Nirvana, Vahalla

Hello to all!! First timer here and I wanted to tell you that I just purchased a pair of the Ansuz POM speaker cables. They will be replacing a pair of Naim cables that were hooked up to my new Raidho D1 speakers. I have a small living room where the speakers are placed. The speakers do tend to sound a bit "room boomy" even though I have run them in at 250+ hours but I was told that these new cables and with a new set of suspension stands this may alleviate some or hopefully all of the problem. I will also try a slight difference in toe in positions and see if that helps. Any other suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated by this neophyte too!!! p.s , any idea how long I need to break in the POM cables? Thanks again, Ken.

Super Moderator

Hi Ken aka pegken,

Welcome to the forum! Thank you for joining!
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome to AS.

Not sure how long ansuz cables take to breakin. I'm getting a pair to try Monday. So over the next week or two we will find out together.

Which Naim gear do you have?
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Welcome to AS.

Not sure how long ansuz cables take to breakin. I'm getting a pair to try Monday. So over the next week or two we will find out together.

Which Naim gear do you have?
    I have the Naim SuperNait w/ HiCap2 DR. I've been very happy with this combo and it seems to have more than enough power to handle the D1's.

It's a great sounding combo and I love the D1s.
    Jock

---------

PART TWO

It has been said many times before but it is worth repeating: when you listen to a hi-fi system, what you are actually listening to is the AC power that comes from the wall. There is no escaping the fact that the better the quality of the incoming power the better the outgoing (music) results will be. In PART ONE I briefly discussed the lengths I have gone to – following Nordost’s Foundation Theory [See Nordost whitepaper on-line] – to hear what my electronics are really capable of and the role that power cables play in that. In PART TWO, I will discuss the methodology I intend to use to compare four power cables; two from Nordost (Odin & Valhalla) and two from Ansuz (POM & Ceramic, thereafter called P & C) in the context of my audio system.

To be clear from the outset, the term “method” is used very liberally above because nothing that follows could be considered as scientific. While I can outline the technique I use to compare the cables, the inquiry is neither empirical nor measurable. Moreover the inquiry is purely subjective, in that I will listen, observe and note down that which I hear in full acknowledgement that variables and biases exist that are outside of my control. This issue of controlling the variables in a test lies at the heart of all testing. Audiophiles generally understand this and make efforts to control the variables so that they can do accurate listening tests that produce reliable results.

What is a "variable?" A variable is any factor that can affect the result of a test. An "uncontrolled" variable is the one variable in a test that is allowed to vary because we are trying to evaluate its effect. It is absolutely essential that any and all other variables in a test be "controlled" so that they do not influence the results. If there is more than one uncontrolled variable in a test, then you will not be able to determine which variable caused what you heard. Therefore, having multiple uncontrolled variables makes it impossible to draw any cause/effect relationships and conclusions from the test. Since my listening tests are trying to find cause/effect relationships, a test done with multiple, uncontrolled variables can't answer the question, so it is useless and invalid.

Therefore, for the purposes of my investigation the only change that will occur in my system is the first power cable from the wall socket to the distributor. Unfortunately, other uncontrolled variables remain and these include time delay; psychological bias and limitations surrounding unknown interactions or symbiotic relationships between the various cables and components in the system. Time delay is unavoidable. All components in my system are connected to a distributor which in turn is connected to the cable under evaluation. Systems take time to power off and power back on again. Many believe we can’t remember audio differences for more than a few seconds – let alone the minute or so it takes to change out a power cable. Moreover, the test will not be a blind one and this introduces the prospect of bias and no-one is immune to that.

Having understood and openly stated the limitations of the undertaking you can now rest easy that what follows in PART THREE will amount to nothing less than audio-salon voodoo! Before we get to the playtime for grown-ups and after we have had a chance to complete the mandatory preparatory vacuum clean underneath the speaker cables some other brief details about the method:

1. Three recordings will be used for the evaluation. These are “On fire” by Edward Val [Incredible Recordings Vol. 1, STS 611115]; “The Power of Goodbye” by Madonna [GHV2, Warner 93624800002] and “The Last of the Privateers” by Allan Taylor [Leaving at Dawn, Stockfisch SFR 357.4057.2]. Selected for purely selfish reasons i.e. I love the music and intimately familiar with them all – the recordings have also been selected due to their emphasis on differing parts of the audio spectrum. The Edward Val recording focuses on the treble with vast amounts of ambient and reverberant detail captured in the recording allowing easy analysis of selected micro-detail and spatial comparison. The Madonna recording focuses on the bass. The Orbit inspired masterpiece invokes a massive layered soundscape which is challenging for any audio system to reconstruct and delineate with complex texture and minutiae detail even whilst the underlying beat propels the tracks momentum with solid energy. Spectral analysis shows enormous energy in the sub 32Hz and the 63-160Hz parts of the audio spectrum requiring speaker woofers to draw sufficient current to cleanly reproduce. Past experience has shown me that power cables have a significant impact on the audio systems ability to demystify complexity in this track and allow the listener to see into the recording as a representation of the event. Finally, Allan Taylor, a high resolution SACD recording by the highly competent Stockfisch Records team. This masterpiece requires both ends of the audio spectrum to be fully operational and in spectral balance. It further features a wide range of percussion instruments including interesting use of a metallic drum early in the track – the reproduction of which I regularly use to assess overall audio system performance.

2. Two different audio systems/rooms are used for the evaluation. This is intentional to see whether observations made in one system carry or share any consistency in a completely different acoustical setting. Considerable detail on my audio system and room can be found in my blog [see “my virtual system” link at base of post]. The second system [photo below] consists of Raidho D2 speakers connected to a Devialet 240 amplifier via Ansuz C speaker cable which in turn is connected to the mains distributor via Ansuz P power cable. Further, while my audio system employs the use of passive room acoustic controls; the second system uses a state of the art Trinnov Audio active acoustic controller to compensate for room resonance modes and smooth reverberation. While both systems / rooms go about acoustic correction in a different fashion – both produce results in broad compliance to or better than “Acoustical Measurement Standards for Stereo Listening Rooms” (Mellor & Hedback, 2011). This among other things means a measured mid-range frequency response with +/- 3dB at 1/3rd Octave and a low frequency response within +/- 10dB at 1/24th Octave. While some may view the standard to be fairly relaxed the intent is simply to provide some modest insurance that the sonic benefit of HiFi equipment, not to mention the expensive cables under test, is not masked by poor room acoustics. The famous J. Gordon Holt once opined that “It is probably safe to say that 95% of the systems in audiophile homes are being degraded by a bad listening environment. Sound waves reflect from walls, floors, and ceilings, reaching our ears milliseconds after the direct sounds from the speakers and smearing those sounds. Echoes reverberate back and forth between parallel reflective surfaces, adding more smear and coloring the sound with spurious brightness or resonating bass hangovers. And reflections from side walls are heard as false stereo direction cues, impairing the accuracy with which a system reproduces instrumental locations.” [Holt, J. Gordon (1983) Stereophile, The Listening Room: The Forgotten Factor, March 3rd Ed.]

Photo 1: System Two - Raidho D-2 and Estelon XB speakers shown

3. One Hundred! Recent wisdom has it that power cords require more break in than interconnects. While not wishing to open a debate on such wisdom [break in after all is not a measurable phenomenon] let me simply say that all cords had in excess of 100 hours of use prior to the evaluation.

4. Undertake & Reverse. Many years back I learned that reversing a tweak can provide more insight into perceived beneficial (or otherwise) change that the tweak was initially thought to have made. I consider an audible change definite only if my observations in constructing and deconstructing change align. The rationale is that first impressions when the placebo effect is the strongest can easily be biased by expectation which in itself can be fuelled from multiple avenues, none the least of which is product cost and emotive marketing materials!

So there you have it. Next up PART THREE – the results. Stay tuned.

This is gonna be good...

Allen

I have my first full set of Ansuz PC's, Speaker cables and IC's along with Darkz and Sparkz on their way. If anyone would like to try them in their system let me know. I will break them in first and then schedule in home auditions in your own system.

I have the "A" level coming initially, which is the third down from the top of line and second up from the least expensive. The prices are:

Mainz - $2000 1M, $3000 2M

Signalz - Ic's - $2800 1M , $4200 2M

Speakerz- Sp. cables, 2M $4000

DarkZ - resonance control devices - $260 each

SparkZ- Sound enhancer - $480 each

They are pricey. But I'm interested to try them out.
    working progress

Quote Originally Posted by Rtan View Post
    They are pricey. But I'm interested to try them out.
    Not sure where the closest dealer to you is in LA. Ask Lars at the Ansuz email and I am sure he would arrange for you to hear them.

I'm sooo looking forward to this review!

I have the D speaker cables. And have listened to the C power cords. I will have the D power cords next week. If anyone wants to hear my opinions feel free to PM me. I don't want to get in the way of this review, so I will not post my thoughts just yet.

Electronics:

Speakers:

Cables:

Accessories:

PART THREE

So, we have finally arrived at the third and final part of this series – the results. In PART ONE I outlined my fascination with the audio systems foundation and in particular, the most important single cable in any audio system – the one from the electricity supply to your distributor block. In PART TWO I described the method by which four different power cables; two from Nordost and two from Ansuz Acoustics would be evaluated in the context of two different audio systems.

And so to PART THREE the results; but before we get there a warning and an important message.

First, the warning! To those of you who struggle with the concept of US$16,000 power cables and still believe that all cables sound the same – for your own peace of mind please read no further. Please <CLICK HERE> to take you back to the forum index – where far more rational, sane and stress free topics can be found.

Second, the important message; what follows are observations and not conclusions. Arriving at conclusions based on one set of ears and two audio systems is not sensible. The sample size is simply too small and the limitations of the undertaking described in PART TWO too severe to allow firm conclusions to be made. What we are therefore left with is observation and initial opinion and is ever the case in all things audio; interested parties are strongly advised to listen to these products with their own ears and systems.

ROUND ONE – VAHALLA vs. ANSUZ P [also known as POM ANSUZ]

With test track one [Edward Val] the positive attributes of the Valhalla cable were its ability to generate more open air with ringing clarity than the Ansuz. Further, the Valhalla retrieved more ambient information from the track giving the impression of a larger and better defined overall soundstage.

The positive attributes of the Ansuz were very different. The Ansuz seemingly produced a quieter blacker backdrop for the track with an overall presentation that seemed smoother and more velvety than the Valhalla. Comparatively the presentation was less forward and less edgy giving the impression of a more natural, humane and organic sound.

With test track two [Madonna] the Valhalla clearly demonstrated more heft in the bass. The Valhalla has thump and bite giving the impression that it digs deeper and with more bass energy in the low frequency arena.

Here again the attributes of the Ansuz were very different. The Ansuz produced a deeper soundstage (Valhalla comparatively was a more forward presentation) and perhaps due to the blacker backdrop, localisation of sound seemed superior with all the tracks special effects such a distant chimes and vocal chants all more noticeable and painted in sharper relief in this complex track.

Comment: As you will have perhaps gathered from the above observations I find certain elements of the character of these two cables different and as such do not consider one superior to the other. The Valhalla certainly is more instantly impressive because it tends to point out the frequency extremes in a more spot-lit fashion than the Ansuz. The Valhalla also comes across as being more immediate with greater bite, more energy and more bass heft. Used sensibly these attributes can be a revelation in some systems but in others could be a little over-bearing. Using an analogy, the Valhalla very much reminds of a modern jet-fighter. Many modern jets have a purpose build degree of instability to them as this enables them to react faster to directional change. Valhalla is fast, lightning fast even and this works beautifully as a counter-balance to warm electronics, which sometimes need a good kick up the backside to get moving. If however the electronics possess a cooler tonality Valhalla can quickly come across as edgy, jagged and twitchy.

In contrast, the Ansuz P whilst not as resolving at the Valhalla appears to be a more balanced cable. The strength of the Ansuz is the quiet and effortless nature in which it encourages the reproduction of music. Unlike the Valhalla which has the system dependant potential to sound hollow, tin like and artificial the Ansuz P is more even handed, real and musical and as such the beauty of the Ansuz P is its ability to make poorer recordings more accessible. Soundstage depth and instrumental localisation are superb with this cable.

Both cables appear neutral, fast and dynamic.

Photo 1: The Nordost Valhalla Power Cord

Photo 2: The Ansuz Acoustics P [POM] Power Cord

ROUND TWO – VALHALLA vs. ANSUZ C [also known as CERAMIC ANSUZ]

Perhaps the easiest way to describe the Ansuz C power cable is that it manages to combine all the best features of the Valhalla [vibrancy, immediacy, soundstage, ambient detail / air and bass weight] and the Ansuz P [blacker background, smoother, organic and effortless] together without any immediately noticeable weaknesses.

Versus the Ansuz P, the C brings deeper bass, better air and greater overall detail. This was very noticeable when comparing both cables on both test tracks [Val, Madonna] and switching to the higher resolution SACD [Taylor] it became very clear that the P sounded muted in comparison to the C with the C possessing superior ambient recovery and bass heft.

Versus the Valhalla, the C offered a much deeper soundstage, more detail and also introduced a calmness to the proceedings; a calmness and effortlessness that seems to elude the excitable Valhalla.

Comment: In my humble opinion the Ansuz C appears to be a superior power cable to the Nordost Valhalla and the Anzus P. After extensive swopping between all three cables I could not identify any feature of the Valhalla that from sonic perspective seemed better. The Ansuz C enjoys the balanced, grounded and effortlessness nature of the Ansuz P [no particular part of the audio band spotlit] combined with the punchier, weightier and vibrant presentation of the Valhalla. Bravo!

Photo 3: The Ansuz Acoustics C [Ceramic] Power Cord

ROUND THREE – ANSUZ C vs. ODIN

With test track one [Edward Val] the Odin produced a larger soundstage with superior ambient recovery to the Ansuz C. With test track two [Madonna] the Odin possessed greater bass authority (viscerally punchier) particularly in the mid-bass arena and seemed comparatively more “fleet of foot” and alive.

For its part the Ansuz C had its own strengths. On both test tracks the Ansuz C demonstrated a deeper soundstage; an effortless musicality and a blacker background. This was particularly noticeable with the Val track where the vocal rests slightly further back in the soundstage and the blacker backdrop aids the vocal image. While the Odin sparkles in the top end of the audio spectrum, the Ansuz shines in the mid-range imbedding vocals (in particular) with a wonderful humanity.

Versus the Valhalla, the Odin is more balanced and seamless in its delivery of music. The twitchiness that is sometimes witnessed with the Valhalla is gone. Further, the bass is deeper, weightier and better defined than the Valhalla and the treble is cleaner still with superior tonal colour

Comment: In my humble opinion both are great cables with the Odin gaining my personal preference due to its slightly higher levels of transparency, vibrancy, immediacy and resolution. Odin is quick, uncluttered and seamless in its delivery – but the real clincher for me is the incredible aliveness and presence combined with rich harmonic information which this cable seems to infuse in the music.

The Ansuz C is by no means disgraced. It runs the Odin incredibly close and this points to the possibility that the Ansuz D [not tested here] might equal or outperform Odin.

Photo 4: The Nordost ODIN Power Cord

TESTS ON SYSTEM TWO

I was not sure what to expect when I loaded the first test disc into system two. I did expect to hear some change as the audio systems and acoustic environments are very different. Whereas my home system is rather large and complex and outfitted in Nordost from tip to toe; system two features all Ansuz cabling and is much simpler in construct relying on the latest integrated Devialet amplification (model 240). Tonally the Devialet is a little cooler than my home system and I wondered whether that would also influence the results?

In the finish I need not to have worried because after a three hour audition with the same demo test tracks the results read the same as system one. The only slight observational change recorded was that the Devialet responded to the Ansuz C in a highly favourable way – allowing the Devialet to produce a slightly richer mid; a change that was not observed in my own system. Otherwise the performance of the Ansuz P&C and Nordost was unchanged.

Two possible take-aways from the exercise are that first; with relatively neutral systems we can expect the attributes and contribution of the power cables to be close to constant. Second; Nordost and Ansuz cabling solutions are synergistic and may be used in together in the same audio system.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

Struggling to bring all of the above in for a safe landing I am tempted to say that Nordost cables where more esoteric and Ansuz more grounded. That however would be an oversimplification and would tend to over accentuate differences which weren’t actually there. Closer to truth I suspect is that the above Nordost and Ansuz cables actually share the same broad character quadrant of the PC universe – a quadrant that is light years from the likes of most Cardas, ASI, Shunyata and Kubala Sosna cables. The Ansuz and Nordost cables were more alike [neutral, fast, dynamic] than they were different and this at times posed challenges in identifying and categorising differences.

The above shoot out has very much focused on sonic attributes but recognising that other determinants are frequently also considered when buying cables at this level of expense allow me to close on some other considerations.

First, cosmetics; picking up and closely examining Ansuz and Nordost cables reveals differences in appearance and perceived build quality. There is no doubt about it, Nordost with its solid core oxygen free conductors, spiral wound insulators and extruded outer wrap looks the business and gives the perception of high quality. The same unfortunately cannot be said for the Ansuz, where seemingly inexpensive and not particularly dense weave outer sleeves combined with lightweight plugs, not the mention the absence of any form of serial number on the P version and the rather tacky “quality level” stickers stuck to the main plug barrel – all scream cheap. Looking at a typical Ansuz cable it is hard to imagine what makes it so expensive – though admittedly the answer to that may well be hidden and not particularly relevant? Perceptions are not helped with packaging where Ansuz is delivered in a no frills package reminiscent of a pizza box whilst Nordost reference products come ensconced in a nicely lined wooden case complete with lock and key. Moreover, while I have some Nordost products which are over ten years old and still look like they were purchased recently – a testament for sure to build quality – we don’t know and won’t know for years to come how Ansuz products stand the test of wear and tear and time.

Second, cable dressing. While the Ansuz products may be unremarkable to look at – at least they are very easy to work with. The Ansuz cables are lightweight, highly flexible and if called upon can work can turn in a tight radius. Great! The same unfortunately can’t be said for the Nordost cables which are rigid and stiff and need fairly large bend radiuses. This makes the Nordost cables painfully difficult to layout in such a fashion so as to ensure neat installation whereby audio and power cables don’t cross one another and if they do, it is at 90 degree angles. Resistance strain with Nordost is perfectly capable of twisting a lightweight electronic component mounted on Sort Kones and may mean you can’t site the component exactly where you want on the rack.

In sum and on balance, Ansuz Acoustics is a very welcome addition to the audiophile power cord market. My experience with Ansuz PC’s – a small sample of which has made up this update – is sufficient to demonstrate to me that they offer extraordinary value on a sound quality per dollar spend basis. I recommend that audiophiles actively searching for high end power cords include Ansuz Acoustics products in their evaluations in order to reach their own opinion of them.

OPPORTUNITIES FOR FURTHER RESEARCH

Many interesting questions remain – some of which I have already started exploring – such as what happens when you combine an Odin with a Ceramic; or an Odin with POM or Ceramic with POM? Is powering your source with an Ansuz Ceramic PC more worthwhile than using the same product to feed the distributor? The initial answers are fascinating but warrant further research before being reported.

Bravo Kiwi! Thank you for taking the time to write this up.
    Michael

Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

Great write up.

Thank you.

Next month I'm going to get the chance to compare the Ansuz power cords in my system.
    Jock

---------

Spectacular write up !!

Thanks Kiwi !
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    REL Subs

Audioshark

Kiwi - thank you for such a great write up! I was wondering if you were using Valhalla or Valhalla 2? I've been to the demo and there is no comparison between Valhalla and Valhalla 2. The 2 being much better.

To me, the Valhalla 2, are some of the best, most impactful power cables on the market.

That being said, I would love to hear the Ansuz C and D! By hunch is that they would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
    Bravo Kiwi! Thank you for taking the time to write this up.
    Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Great write up.
    Thank you.
    Next month I'm going to get the chance to compare the Ansuz power cords in my system.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Spectacular write up !!
    Thanks Kiwi !
    Thanks Guys! While I will have Ansuz D with me shortly, I now plan to shut up in the hope that I can read opinions from others. I very much look forward to reading the opinions of “Baskinshaw” and “the professor”…

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Kiwi - thank you for such a great write up! I was wondering if you were using Valhalla or Valhalla 2? I've been to the demo and there is no comparison between Valhalla and Valhalla 2. The 2 being much better.
    To me, the Valhalla 2, are some of the best, most impactful power cables on the market.
    That being said, I would love to hear the Ansuz C and D! By hunch is that they would be even better.
    Hi Mike, I’ve owned the original Valhalla PC for years and it was that version used for evaluation. While Valhalla 2 is an advance on the original Valhalla – it is still nowhere close to ODIN. Since Ansuz C ran ODIN close – at least in my observation – I think there is the prospect that the Ansuz C would have Valhalla 2’s guts for garters. Better and cheaper.

Audioshark

Looking forward to your impressions of Ansuz D PC's.

Kiwi, great writeup!! Thank you for sharing!

Allen

For some reason I was thinking these were all speaker cables at first. Then I realized they were power cables and was even more impressed by the review. Nicely done Kiwi!
    Doug

Thanks Bob. I will chime Lars' email for sure.
    working progress

Hello,
    New to the forum. I have been using on a trial basis the Ansuz P power cables My system consists of Burmester 088/ Ypsilon PST Mk 2./ Ypsilon Aelius/ Raidho D-1. All components are linked to an Acoustic Revive distributor fronted by a Nordost Odin power cable to the mains, so the coments refer to changing the 4 power cords to the conditioner. Ansuz P power cables bettered both the ASI Reference cables and the Nordost Valhalla 1. I am now testing them in comparison to Jorma Origo Power cables and they came ahead with better definition, bite and ambience retreaval (less bass though). I am seriously considering going all Ansuz A or Ansuz C (or perhaps a mix). Further details/comments from users are appreciated. Anybody used the A level? If yes how do they compare with the P level?

Page 1 of 27 12345611 ... LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Ansuz Cables &amp; Accessories