A Plea for Michael Borresen - Page 3
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 111
  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Plea for Michael Borresen

    When I ordered my D3's (v2) I dumped my Pass XA200.5s and bought the Soulution 501's (125 watts and a damping factor of 10,000) based on many members recommendations (including Lars) in hopes of taming the bass. Given that a couple of large pallets hit my dock this week I hope to be finding out how well the 501's work in the not too distant future.

    Fingers crossed.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Plea for Michael Borresen

    Quote Originally Posted by MDP View Post
    Michael, we obviously have very different tastes in speakers, I'm glad you're happy.
    Not trying to be a smart ass or start anything so please take this in the best possible light...

    You and others have touted the improved bass of the D3s. I've read "no" bass issues on more than one occasion. I'm merely pointing out the inconsistency when I read you're looking for a way to attenuate/control the bass of the Raidhos.

    Let's also put things into perspective (or clear the record so to speak). I found the Raidhos did certain things incredibly well. Their strong suits better my speakers in many ways. But, for me, their weaknesses or limitations could not be overlooked and I made a change.

    I also agree that amps/cables play a large part in this and Pass may (or may not) be part of what I didn't like with the Raidhos. I've also heard Solution and VAC in my system. While they may pair better to mask what, IMO again, is a weakness/flaw in the Raidhos, or, in many opinions, compliment everything the Raidhos do well, they do not come without a price. The Solution amps, in particular, and again IMO, give up bass texture and bass dimensionality.

    I'm not here to say the Raidhos suck or anything along those lines. As I've said, they do certain things very very very well. With all speakers, there are compromises. It's just the conviction with which people state their opinions and how they do it so unequivocally that can get under my skin at times. Particularly when they later hedge or waffle.

    FWIW, I am also glad you're happy.
    Michael

    Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Oregon Coast / N. Texas
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Plea for Michael Borresen

    The 501s sound very very good w the Raidho lineup. Lease report back.


    Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    When I ordered my D3's (v2) I dumped my Pass XA200.5s and bought the Soulution 501's (125 watts and a damping factor of 10,000) based on many members recommendations (including Lars) in hopes of taming the bass. Given that a couple of large pallets hit my dock this week I hope to be finding out how well the 501's work in the not too distant future.

    Fingers crossed.
    Jock

    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

    ---------

    House: Lumin U1, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Gryphon Diablo 300 w DAC, Raidho D5, 2 Magico QSub15s, Shunyata Sigma IC/SC/PCs, Denali/Typhon.

    Workshop: Lumin U1/BorderPatrol custom DAC, Border Patrol Pre and Power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, Magico Q15 subs, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Triton V3/Sigma PCs.


  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Oregon Coast / N. Texas
    Posts
    3,187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Plea for Michael Borresen

    I never had any issues w the bass with D3 v2s.

    Synergy is EVERYTHING at this level of audio.

    One picks and chooses the faults they can live with.

    Quote Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
    Not trying to be a smart ass or start anything so please take this in the best possible light...

    You and others have touted the improved bass of the D3s. I've read "no" bass issues on more than one occasion. I'm merely pointing out the inconsistency when I read you're looking for a way to attenuate/control the bass of the Raidhos.

    Let's also put things into perspective (or clear the record so to speak). I found the Raidhos did certain things incredibly well. Their strong suits better my speakers in many ways. But, for me, their weaknesses or limitations could not be overlooked and I made a change.

    I also agree that amps/cables play a large part in this and Pass may (or may not) be part of what I didn't like with the Raidhos. I've also heard Solution and VAC in my system. While they may pair better to mask what, IMO again, is a weakness/flaw in the Raidhos, or, in many opinions, compliment everything the Raidhos do well, they do not come without a price. The Solution amps, in particular, and again IMO, give up bass texture and bass dimensionality.

    I'm not here to say the Raidhos suck or anything along those lines. As I've said, they do certain things very very very well. With all speakers, there are compromises. It's just the conviction with which people state their opinions and how they do it so unequivocally that can get under my skin at times. Particularly when they later hedge or waffle.

    FWIW, I am also glad you're happy.
    Jock

    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

    ---------

    House: Lumin U1, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Gryphon Diablo 300 w DAC, Raidho D5, 2 Magico QSub15s, Shunyata Sigma IC/SC/PCs, Denali/Typhon.

    Workshop: Lumin U1/BorderPatrol custom DAC, Border Patrol Pre and Power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, Magico Q15 subs, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Triton V3/Sigma PCs.


  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Plea for Michael Borresen

    Hello Michael,

    I think I understand......So people whom do the following get under your skin:

    "
    It's just the conviction with which people state their opinions and how they do it so unequivocally that can get under my skin at times."

    Yet in the same post you proceed to opine that the Raidho's "don't suck" they just have a "weakness" and are "flawed." Sounds like a fair amount of "unequivocal conviction," but I am certainly not offended. Looking on the bright side, at least they don't suck.

    I am curious about which Soulution amps you listened to in developing your view that Soulution lacks bass texture and dimensionality? The newest generation 501, 701, 711??

    Also, IMO certain amps like the Soulution's don't "mask" a Raidho "fault" but rather allow the speaker to achieve its design intent which includes remarkable, fast, articulate bass that must however be well damped and and mated to an exceptionally fast amp. Maybe Michael B. is as stumped as you imply but I think he understands the significant positive attributes of his design. Jets run very poorly on corn alcohol but achieve things no other engine can achieve when jet fuel is employed.......I am not sure that indicates a flaw in jet engines.

    (Hope that wasn't said with too much conviction.
    )

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Plea for Michael Borresen

    Quote Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
    Hello Michael,

    I think I understand......So people whom do the following get under your skin:

    "
    It's just the conviction with which people state their opinions and how they do it so unequivocally that can get under my skin at times."

    Yet in the same post you proceed to opine that the Raidho's "don't suck" they just have a "weakness" and are "flawed." Sounds like a fair amount of "unequivocal conviction," but I am certainly not offended. Looking on the bright side, at least they don't suck.

    I am curious about which Soulution amps you listened to in developing your view that Soulution lacks bass texture and dimensionality? The newest generation 501, 701, 711??

    Also, IMO certain amps like the Soulution's don't "mask" a Raidho "fault" but rather allow the speaker to achieve its design intent which includes remarkable, fast, articulate bass that must however be well damped and and mated to an exceptionally fast amp. Maybe Michael B. is as stumped as you imply but I think he understands the significant positive attributes of his design. Jets run very poorly on corn alcohol but achieve things no other engine can achieve when jet fuel is employed.......I am not sure that indicates a flaw in jet engines.

    (Hope that wasn't said with too much conviction.
    )
    Paul:

    I find the Raidhos flawed and/or to have a weakness. I also stated that I do not think they suck. I've opined this. If you find these opinions hypocritical of my post you clearly define "unequivocal conviction" differently than I do.

    If it truly matters to you, the Solution products I auditioned were of the newest series. And nowhere did I "imply" anything about Michael B. That is you reading into my post and drawing a conclusion.

    Perhaps you should try less sarcasm...it dulls your "conviction."
    Michael

    Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Plea for Michael Borresen

    Quote Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
    Not trying to be a smart ass or start anything so please take this in the best possible light...

    You and others have touted the improved bass of the D3s. I've read "no" bass issues on more than one occasion. I'm merely pointing out the inconsistency when I read you're looking for a way to attenuate/control the bass of the Raidhos.

    Let's also put things into perspective (or clear the record so to speak). I found the Raidhos did certain things incredibly well. Their strong suits better my speakers in many ways. But, for me, their weaknesses or limitations could not be overlooked and I made a change.

    I also agree that amps/cables play a large part in this and Pass may (or may not) be part of what I didn't like with the Raidhos. I've also heard Solution and VAC in my system. While they may pair better to mask what, IMO again, is a weakness/flaw in the Raidhos, or, in many opinions, compliment everything the Raidhos do well, they do not come without a price. The Solution amps, in particular, and again IMO, give up bass texture and bass dimensionality.

    I'm not here to say the Raidhos suck or anything along those lines. As I've said, they do certain things very very very well. With all speakers, there are compromises. It's just the conviction with which people state their opinions and how they do it so unequivocally that can get under my skin at times. Particularly when they later hedge or waffle.

    FWIW, I am also glad you're happy.


    I like your posts Michael and I think you make a good point. In reality, all components are imperfect and the real subjective choice in assembling a good audio reproduction system will often come down to a choice of which particular imperfections you can live with over the long run.

    I'm just not sure that inconsistency in member’s opinion is worth getting wound up about.

    Inconsistency is rife in audio – for some reason the name of Jonathan Valin springs immediately to mind. Monday its Magico; Tuesday its Raidho; Wednesday its Zellaton and its reasonable to believe something truly great, quite probably the end point of all audio, is in the wings for Thursday….

    Opinions can change for perfectly rational reasons; more run in time, different partnering equipment, new experiences and points of reference etc. Sometimes the excitement of receiving something new gives rise to gushing praise and platitudes – which change as the euphoria of the purchase dilutes and more circumspect assessment begins to take hold. In truth, development of awareness and understanding takes time and perhaps the real take away therefore is simply to cautiously treat or even ignore hasty reports of greatness?

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Posts
    675
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Plea for Michael Borresen

    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi_1282001 View Post
    I like your posts Michael and I think you make a good point. In reality, all components are imperfect and the real subjective choice in assembling a good audio reproduction system will often come down to a choice of which particular imperfections you can live with over the long run.

    I'm just not sure that inconsistency in member’s opinion is worth getting wound up about.

    Inconsistency is rife in audio – for some reason the name of Jonathan Valin springs immediately to mind. Monday its Magico; Tuesday its Raidho; Wednesday its Zellaton and its reasonable to believe something truly great, quite probably the end point of all audio, is in the wings for Thursday….

    Opinions can change for perfectly rational reasons; more run in time, different partnering equipment, new experiences and points of reference etc. Sometimes the excitement of receiving something new gives rise to gushing praise and platitudes – which change as the euphoria of the purchase dilutes and more circumspect assessment begins to take hold. In truth, development of awareness and understanding takes time and perhaps the real take away therefore is simply to cautiously treat or even ignore hasty reports of greatness?
    I couldn't disagree with this even if I tried. Timely post as well before all the knee jerking, mine included, turn this thread into something more than intended .
    Michael

    Magico S5s; PASS Labs Xs150s and Xs preamplifier; Lumin A1; Synergistic Research Galileo LE Powercell, Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects, Galileo LE Analog and Digital power cords, Transporter Ultra SE, Tranquility Bases, MiGs, HFTs, XOTs, FEQ, Vibratron and Bass Station.

  9. #29
    Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Lake Country, Georgia
    Posts
    4,470
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Plea for Michael Borresen

    Quote Originally Posted by mdkim View Post
    I couldn't disagree with this even if I tried. Timely post as well before all the knee jerking, mine included, turn this thread into something more than intended .
    No worries Michael, No speaker is perfect, they all have their faults.

    The point I was trying to make is that when you are this close to an almost perfect sound, and if you are able to change the design a little, why stop there ??

    Raidho speakers do things that no other speaker can match, and I can assure you I'm keeping mine.

    Jock is correct about synergy, the Hegel H30 is the best SS amp I've ever heard, but it's a strange fit with the D3. It is absolutely compounding my bass issues, but it also gives me the most amazing 3D soundstage, and I really want to keep it and make it work.

    When paired with different amps, it is much better. With my Classe' amps I had no bass issues with the D3.

    I guess I could be more like a lot of people and not talk about my systems faults, but then again, I thought that was one of the reasons for having this forum
    Mark

    _________________
    Pass Labs X350.8 Stereo amplifier
    Classe' CP 800 preamp
    Revel Ultima Salon 2's.....again !
    REL S2 Subwoofers
    Lumin A1 Network Streamer
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Klaudio Ultrasonic record cleaner
    Kimber Select 6063 speaker cables
    Kimber Select 1116 XLR IC's
    Shunyata Cobra Zi-tron,and Ansuz Ceramic power cords,
    Ansuz Mainz D8 power distributer

  10. #30
    Audioshark
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    22,885
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: A Plea for Michael Borresen

    Mark - good post. I felt the same way about my Alexia's. Great speakers in a bad room. I talked about my issues openly, showed measurements of the problem, discussed "treatments" and in the end, took a lot of crap for it (not here, but on another forum). It's too bad - because - no speaker is perfect, but there is a perfect speaker for every room. The challenge is finding it (and then not selling it like someone I know. . )


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

    "We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

    Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Avid HiFi, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Constellation Audio, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, Hegel, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, JL Audio, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Naim Audio, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sony, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Verity Audio Speakers, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

    https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

 

 
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast