Review: Wyred4Sound's STP-SE ....

Surprised to read that it's not truly passive though at the lower volume settings, which is how I've always heard it described. Nice of Srajan to point out that it uses discrete buffers on either side of its stepped attenuator matrix level control, which makes it technically an active (possibly zero gain) line stage in my book.

My STP-SE is absolutely a stunning value. I love mine too.

I am also very curious about the stage 2 upgrades, :blush:, not that I need them, :D, but have definitely wanted them for a long time.

My STP-SE is absolutely a stunning value. I love mine too.

I am also very curious about the stage 2 upgrades, :blush:, not that I need them, :D, but have definitely wanted them for a long time.

I feel the same way about the "enhancement Stages" but I've never read what these upgrades provide for the music you hear, vs just being a whole lot better components.

I may be able to help you guys out considering the optional upgrades. I've had some passive line stages in the past (in my younger and more vulnerable years...) and I found the upgrade from Dale or Caddock resistors to Vishays to be quite significant. I experienced an enhanced level of transparency along with a much more seductively smooth and relaxed sound from the change, well worth the expense for an audiophile!

I may be able to help you guys out considering the optional upgrades. I've had some passive line stages in the past (in my younger and more vulnerable years...) and I found the upgrade from Dale or Caddock resistors to Vishays to be quite significant. I experienced an enhanced level of transparency along with a much more seductively smooth and relaxed sound from the change, well worth the expense for an audiophile!

:panic::cantmove:

I have to agree about the Vishays. I have tried them in several different amps now, and am quite shocked at the large improvements, especially in transparency. At least as big a change as going from a cheap no name polypropylene capacitor to a good teflon cap (but the Vishays also sound more "natural" which teflon caps often don't to me). Can't imagine that the Vishays wouldn't make a significant improvement.

Well Joe, I hope you provide a complete review of how the upgrade has influenced your listening pleasure, comparison on songs using your acute memory recall of course. Can't wait. :D I gots to know

Too bad I am not a detail oriented person. :rolleyes:

Well Joe, I hope you provide a complete review of how the upgrade has influenced your listening pleasure, comparison on songs using your acute memory recall of course. Can't wait. :D I gots to know

Well at least you can rest assured that Srajen's review of the upgrade will include all of that and more in page after page. Problem for almost all of us is that most of the equipment in his system, especially the speakers, are components we have never seen or heard. But he does seem to like to give the "little" guy exposure and his just due.

I'm happy to have apparently been an enabler for Joe regarding this upgrade, and look forward to his impressions in due time. :popcorn:
Guess my credibility's on the line! ;)

Like I need an enabler :blush:. But seriously, you and Jack have never steered me wrong.

I have some gear changes ahead and when I free up the STP-SE, I'll make the arrangements.

I'm happy to have apparently been an enabler for Joe regarding this upgrade, and look forward to his impressions in due time. :popcorn:
Guess my credibility's on the line! ;)

Back